Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Content warning: heresy ;)

I never played OoT on release, so my first exposure to it was the Zelda Retrospective on the GC. I was surprised to discover that Majora's Mask (which I hadn't even heard of) was the one I enjoyed more of the two. In fact, having recently finished up Outer Wilds, I might end up digging out that disc and playing it again. (You'd think that, with a Wii and a Switch hooked up to the TV, I'd either finally play my as-yet-untouched copy of Twilight Princess or bite the bullet and buy BotW, but no, apparently Majora's Mask is the one for me...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got Doom 64 in the latest sale a couple of days ago. Still holds up really well.

Is there any reason why the Quake games aren't being re-released in a similar fashion to all the old Doom games?

I've bought Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64 and Duke Nukem 3D recently. All play great on the Switch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got Doom 64 in the latest sale a couple of days ago. Still holds up really well.

Is there any reason why the Quake games aren't being re-released in a similar fashion to all the old Doom games?

I've bought Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64 and Duke Nukem 3D recently. All play great on the Switch!

I know the Doom games swept onto the digital marketplaces doing with Doom Eternal's release.

But it sure would be nice to have at least the first three Quake games released, I really enjoyed the first two and even a mild remaster using the most recent assets would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Is it possible to buy Nintendo 64 games to play offline on Switch like Goldeneye?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy Nintendo 64 games to play offline on Switch like Goldeneye?

Unfortunately not. There's a few titles that were on N64 ported over to the Switch but they're not officially part of an official N64 range. Off the top of my head it's Doom 64, Turok 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 3D and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer that are available to buy on Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Easiest ways to play that, without a N64, is a PC or just get a very cheap Wii somewhere and mod it.
    With the Wii you'll be able to install an N64 emulator and get playing Goldeneye that way

edit: if it has to be portable, then maybe use a Vita instead, install custom firmware and then go to town with the N64 emulator there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ah yeah I have it on my hacked, Wii U, was just wondering if it was possible to buy it officially and play on the go with my Switch Lite.

Seems like a major missed opportunity, though I read up a bit about it and apparently there are huge licensing issues.

Ah yeah I have it on my hacked, Wii U, was just wondering if it was possible to buy it officially and play on the go with my Switch Lite.

Seems like a major missed opportunity, though I read up a bit about it and apparently there are huge licensing issues.

That's been the case since Rare buggered off to MS, but even there the game never emerged.
    Apparently the HD remaster was made, ready to launch on the 360 but those pesky licencing issues meant everyone got a remaster of Perfect Dark instead.
    I'd hoped, myself, to see the Nintendo content of the Rare Collection make it from the XB1 to the Switch, maybe throwing in Diddy Kong Racing for good measure, but it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's been the case since Rare buggered off to MS, but even there the game never emerged.
    Apparently the HD remaster was made, ready to launch on the 360 but those pesky licencing issues meant everyone got a remaster of Perfect Dark instead.
    I'd hoped, myself, to see the Nintendo content of the Rare Collection make it from the XB1 to the Switch, maybe throwing in Diddy Kong Racing for good measure, but it never happened.

Donkey Kong Country is on the Switch, thats a Rare game.

The Nal wrote: »
    Donkey Kong Country is on the Switch, thats a Rare game.

That was also a SNES game and a Nintendo IP, but none of the content that was developed by RARE for the N64 based on their own characters seem to have made the jump.
    And Nintendo don't seem to be in much of a rush to bring N64 games over to the Switch either.
    Which is regrettable.

And the point was the continuing lack of Goldeneye on any format aside from the N64, which is a real pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That was also a SNES game and a Nintendo IP, but none of the content that was developed by RARE for the N64 based on their own characters seem to have made the jump.
    And Nintendo don't seem to be in much of a rush to bring N64 games over to the Switch either.
    Which is regrettable.

And the point was the continuing lack of Goldeneye on any format aside from the N64, which is a real pity.

Very much so yeah, one of the great games. Nintendo holding back for a "mini N64" release maybe? To squeeze a few more shekels from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Which is regrettable.

They made a WII version of Golden Eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(2010_video_game)

Never played it but reviews look good, remake of the N64 version.

As far as I know it's not a remaster or a HD version, but rather a remake following the various action/plot beats of the original but simply not the same.

The original N64 GoldenEye in HD would be a treat, though I haven't played my copy in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would kind of miss causing the game to come to a crawl with loads of explosions in multiplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started on Octo Expansion again after leaving it a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Paper mario 64. Missed this back in the day. A very charming game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As far as I know it's not a remaster or a HD version, but rather a remake following the various action/plot beats of the original but simply not the same.

The original N64 GoldenEye in HD would be a treat, though I haven't played my copy in a long time

The only thing it has in common is the name and it copied some aspects such as general level themes, that's it. Completely different games! Don't think the 2010 game was a patch on the old N64 game, but it's not aged great either tbh! And it's difficult to play on a non-N64 controller, as the controls were fairly unique for the controller. Double analogue sticks don't work as well with it, as they were for look up/down and strafe left/right, whereas you'd expect the left/right strafing to be on the joystick coming from any modern games!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Playing Xenoblade Definitive at the moment, lovely game but Reyn is annoying the heart and soul out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Calhoun wrote: »
    Playing Xenoblade Definitive at the moment, lovely game but Reyn is annoying the heart and soul out of me.

Seconded, he's a pain in the hole.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

That game was great, incredibly janky but a huge amount of fun. The online multiplayer was crazy fun and fast, it's the site of one of my only gaming victories too as I was the #1 player in the European rankings for about a week. The secret to my success was one of the shotguns in the game and never stopping moving, people were still getting used to the motion controls so I'd weave up to them and Boom, blunderbuss. Gave the game back to a friend (who had bought it the day his Wii died so loaned it to me while negotiating a replacement from GAME).

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

skerry wrote: »
    Seconded, he's a pain in the hole.

"ITS REYN TIME" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Calhoun wrote: »
    "ITS REYN TIME" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jury is out on the Cockney robots too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Playing Zelda: Link between Worlds on the 3DS, Great little Zelda game.
    On a related note, have Nintendo stopped releasing anything/supporting the 3DS? Was checking in Smyths and Game for a game for my daughter and was informed that both have stopped stocking any 3DS products. I haven't been paying much attention to the platform, mainly my daughters use it, but I thought I would have heard an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Xofpod wrote: »
    Playing Zelda: Link between Worlds on the 3DS, Great little Zelda game.
    On a related note, have Nintendo stopped releasing anything/supporting the 3DS? Was checking in Smyths and Game for a game for my daughter and was informed that both have stopped stocking any 3DS products. I haven't been paying much attention to the platform, mainly my daughters use it, but I thought I would have heard an announcement.

I don't think they've stopped officially, but it's not far off. I think the Switch Lite was close to the final nail in that coffin, as it comes in at a similar enough price to the new 3DS XL.

You'll still find a load of games in the likes of CEX, and GameStops, and Adverts.ie is always a good place too. I picked up one or two for my son off eBay as well.

I played my first race in F-Zero GX in a very long time the other day, on my new PC.
    Holy shirt-balls, is that game fast, and still looks gorgeous.
    I have the game on my GC as well, but I wanted to give the GC emulator a run out on the PC and wasn't disappointed, after an hour or two of setting the damn thing up!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I played my first race in F-Zero GX in a very long time the other day, on my new PC.
    Holy shirt-balls, is that game fast, and still looks gorgeous.
    I have the game on my GC as well, but I wanted to give the GC emulator a run out on the PC and wasn't disappointed, after an hour or two of setting the damn thing up!

If you're using Dolphin you can also enter a code to enable F-Zero AX mode.

Did you use the widescreen hack? I found that worked surprisingly well last time I tried it.

Fysh wrote: »
    If you're using Dolphin you can also enter a code to enable F-Zero AX mode.

Did you use the widescreen hack? I found that worked surprisingly well last time I tried it.

I am only scratching the surface of this level of emulation right now.
    I understand that Retroarch is supposed to be the way to go, but I have little understanding of how to set it all up.
    My experiences of emulators is mostly in the dim and distant past, the late 90's to be exact.

I'm probably going to give Launchbox a whirl, see if it helps with it all.
    Get GC/Wii, N64, DC, PS/2 and Saturn all running, though I have them all in the flesh in the gamesroom already!
    Hmm, now that I think of it, I might see about 3DO emulation as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I downloaded Spiritfarer on Friday & have been playing solidly since. It’s an absolutely gorgeous game. Time management similar to animal crossing or Stardew valley but set on a boat where you have to collect lost souls & fulfil their wishes so they can pass over to the next life. Utterly charming & quite sad too!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I downloaded Spiritfarer on Friday & have been playing solidly since. It’s an absolutely gorgeous game. Time management similar to animal crossing or Stardew valley but set on a boat where you have to collect lost souls & fulfil their wishes so they can pass over to the next life. Utterly charming & quite sad too!

My favourite game in ages. I really love this and it will be in GOTY discussions at the end of the year (it's that good).

• Advertisement

I picked up Stikbold! Deluxe and Brawlout on sale, on the basis that I tried their demos and enjoyed them. Stikbold is more of a placeholder for The Future when local multiplayer and party games are a feasible thing, whereas Brawlout is scratching my Smash Bros itch for a fraction of the cost.

I also bought What The Golf? on the basis that it seems daft and fun, so why not.

Advertisement