Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Been to both parks and you just can't take the Disney magic out of the equation IMHO.

You can and should take the savings into account so it's just a case of deciding on one or the other if both parks isn't and option.

I would say that both parks have plenty to occupy adults and children of all ages. Park Asterix is fully doable in a day. DLP you might have to pick and choose or prioritise rides, especially if anyone chooses to spend a couple of hours queuing to meet Mickey Mouse. Two full days at a minimum would be my recommendation to do DLP justice.

Park Asterix is unashamedly French and all signage, maps etc. when we were there were French only. Staff that we encountered spoke little or no English, not that it should be a problem. Also undoubtedly cheaper & somewhat less crowded than DLP and has some fantastic rides but in no way as memorable as DLP.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hi we are taking a day trip to Eurodisney next month whilst in Paris.
    Any tips on how to get the tickets at the best value?
    Also are there two camps or did I read it wrong?

To save time as well as money I would try to get physical park tickets, as opposed to an exchange voucher, before you go.

I don't know who's doing the best value tickets at the moment but there's usually a voucher code or two knocking around.

https://www.365tickets.ie/disneyland-paris#disneyland-paris-1-day-2-park-ticket-ie-woody

https://www.attractionticketsdirect.ie/europe-attraction-tickets/disneyland-paris-tickets/1-day2-parks-disneyland-paris-hopper-ticket

http://www.keithprowseattractions.com/en/client/site/n5796-disneyland-paris-tickets.htm

There are two parks, side by side; Disneyland Park & Walt Disney Studios so you'll want one day/two park tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So are those legit sites, I'm always wary that they can sell the park tickets cheaper than Disney themselves?

All legit sites. Some, or all of them, have an office in Dublin.

Breakaway (Noonan Travel) also sell tickets. We've booked both packages & accommodation only through them before. Haven't priced ticket only with them though and they may not do single day tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

If it's any help we went for the day from around central Paris a few weeks ago on a Sunday. The hotel organised tickets and transport for about 110 each. The prices on the tickets were 80 euro and the train tickets were 6 euro each way so the hotel or booking agent obviously put on a decent mark up. I'd say there was about 10-15 people in the queue for tickets at the park so getting them there wouldn't have taken too long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Anyone been to trabolgan recently?.... have two kids 2/3 and looking at first family holiday that wont cost the earth... just wondering if there is enough to keep them occupied there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have not been in a few years but we go regularly.

Loads for those kids to do.
    Outdoor playground
    Indoor soft play area
    Pool
    Kids club every morning.
    Shows with characters every day and early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP do a search on here. There's a fairly recent thread with recent reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Stay clear be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mrperty2011

Was there in 80's. It hadn't changed much when we went 2 yrs ago but would never return. Have a good look on tripadvisor

Its grand for the day trip but do not under any circumstances, stay in their accommodations.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Stayed there a few year ago and was ok, accomodation is very poor. It says on there site that the have spent 2m euro upgrading accomodation so mitent be as bad.

The acomatation is fairly sparse, it has always been clean when we have been there but it's just a bit dated, it's functional rather than luxurious.

We have been there 4 times in 6 years and it has always been a great success, the kids just love it.

We would love to go to France or somewhere like than on holiday but we can't afford it, Trabolgan is only an hour and a half away.

And until the new Centre Parks place in Longford opens it is the only holiday village of it's sort in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd prefer to go elsewhere, houses aren't great, extras cost a lot and the crowd can be a bit rough, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Stay clear be my advice.

+1
    Agreed

I'd prefer to go elsewhere, houses aren't great, extras cost a lot and the crowd can be a bit rough, to say the least.

I was trying to find words to describe them and the bit in bold seems about right.

Yes they seem rough, plently of drinking while the kids are running all over the place, would not be my cup of tea.

But that being said I have never seen trouble there and as someone said to me "well at least they are bringing their kids on holiday".

You see us adults notice these things, the "rough looking crowd", the basic acomadation etc.

But the kids don't, they just see the fun in it.

I've got past the crowd and the acomadation in Trabolgan at this stage, if it's clean and safe, which it is, and the kids love it then so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

They did spend a bit of money doing the place up a few years back, but it's still pretty grim and insanely expensive. Unless you have about 8 kids I'd be pretty sure you could get a week in Spain for a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Went on a day trip last Halloween mid term, there didn’t seem to be much to it to be honest, pool was grand but could do with a few extra bits, just one slide and the waves is all it really has (to be fair there are a couple of hours in there with the kids each day so it’s not terrible) the rest seemed okay a good few bits for the kids to do but couldn’t see a weeks worth of holiday, we rented a house in Dungarvan and done a few day trips to places and it worked great and pretty cheap.

thanks for the replies guys.... was hoping for somewhere cheap and cheerful but not sure about this place now based on some of the comments here :) ..

any decent alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jobless wrote: »
    thanks for the replies guys.... was hoping for somewhere cheap and cheerful but not sure about this place now based on some of the comments here :) ..

any decent alternatives?

Maybe rent a house on the grounds of a hotel, you get to use the pool etc but have your own kitchen etc and plan a few day trips, if you go digging there are lots of things to do (I assume you have a car) that make great days out. If your near a beach and the weather is good all the better.

jobless wrote: »

any decent alternatives?

I've never been but have heard that the Quality Hotel Clonakilty is a great place for families.

Kelly's Hotel Roslare is also supposed to be good.

I've never been but have heard that the Quality Hotel Clonakilty is a great place for families.

Kelly's Hotel Roslare is also supposed to be good.

thanks a mil, ill look these up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’ve heard Kelly’s is fab, but it’s very expensive. I haven’t been in the Quality Hotel in Clonakilty but I have stayed in one of the self catering houses in the one in Youghal. They were very nice, located right on the beach and use of a nice pool in the hotel. There isn’t a huge amount in Youghal, but there is Perks (an amusement arcade) it can get a bit rough at night time but it’s fine during the day. You’ll spend a bloody fortune though 😂. You’re about 45 mins from Fota, the city and Trabolgan I’d you fancied visiting it for the day.

What sells the quality hotel in Youghal is that it’s right on the beach. The one in Clonakilty is a drive from a decent beach IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I read they upgraded the accommodation which is something. Bet there was a few stories to tell who ever cleaned up that ****hole......

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi All,

Heading to Barcelo beach resort - Caleta de Fusta with the family next month.

Can anyone recommend good airport transfer?

Also if anybody has been there and has any good restaurant tips or other general tips I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just get a taxi, about €15

I'm not familiar with Caleta but just so you know, the main beach which is man made went through a bit of a regeneration process recently which seemingly didn't go too well, the sand is very gritty & seemingly not very pleasant from what I've read, people not happy with the results,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You obviously haven't studied the layout of the island on Google maps. If you did, you'd see that it's no distance from the airport to Caleta del Fueste, just get a taxi.

The Barcello resort is very good but outside, the local 'village' is very small and you'll have checked it all out after two or three days. Plan a day trip by bus to Corralejo, the town at the northern end of the island, it's worth the trip.

The beach 'regeneration process' that poster naughtysmurf talks about was happening and appeared to be at an advanced stage when I was at the Barcelo resort in Feb. 2017. I can't comment on the end result, just confirming that it was a big project and looked like it was planned to be complete before the peak summer season in 2017. Whether the sand is gritty or not won'y be really be an issue for you if you're in the resort as it has several pools to suit all ages, the beach areas are outside the Barcelo resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Hi, we are heading to Disneyland Paris with 2 kids (7 & 2) and i was wondering if anyone that was there before could recommed the best method to get to Disneyland from the airport (CDG). The TGV is direct but seems to cost a bit. I know there are regional trains that are cheaper but is it alot of hassle with kids, luggage etc?

• Advertisement

Magical Shuttle coach transfer runs from CDG to DLP. Book in advance for less hassle.

http://www.disneylandparis.ie/guest-services/transfer-from-paris-airports/#

https://magicalshuttle.co.uk/

Advertisement