Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where in Spain to go for a week's holiday in June OR in September. (Haven't decided which month yet).

We normally go to Benidorm and love its' buzzing nightlife but we'd like to try somewhere else.

Nightlife (not clubbing!) is important to us as we love cabaret/comedians etc and a general lively atmosphere...but nothing like Ibiza or anything as we're not into the "mad" scene.

It's probably a lot to ask, but if you can suggest somewhere lively for us, you'd be doing us a huge favour! (Two adluts, by the way; no kids)

Budget doesn't come into it as we'd rather choose the place first and then think about cost after.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I was in Barcelona last year for a few days and loved it. Being a city it will be lively at any time of year and weather will be great for either of those months. The beaches should be a little quieter in September so might be a better time to go and it won't be quite as hot as June. There's loads to see and do during the day and there's something for everyone with regards to nightlife. Flights should be cheaper here too since it's a busy route all year round (I got return flights for €60 last May). Also more accommodation options including hostels which are very cheap. I stayed in a really popular one and I had a brilliant holiday, thanks in large part to the hostel.

The only downside is that it'll be a bit more expensive then the big tourist resorts, mainly in regards to drink etc. but I'd go their over a resort personally. It's also only about an hour by train to Salou where you have Porta Ventura theme park. I had a couple of family holidays to Salou when I was younger so can't really say much about the nightlife but I imagine it's comparable to most resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jesusaves

Hi all,

I'm trying to sort out a family holiday to Europa Park in Germany.
    Any advice on getting there?, I have to fly from Dublin to Basel, then getting to the park? where best to stay? (around 3star hotel) and how many days would you recommend? Any change of getting cheaper Park tickets somewhere too?
    Any advice welcome!

Tk you :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Universal has announced a new ride for 2016, some good news for anyone planning on making a trip there next year!

The rumour online is the ride will be trackless and surrounded by projector screens, largest screens in the world to be put on a ride. Another rumour is there will be an actor "driver" in the ride cart that will at some stage get pulled out of the cart.

Source:Travel Weekly.com

This week, Universal Orlando Resort announced that in the summer of 2016 it will unveil a new attraction, Skull Island, Reign of Kong, at the Islands of Adventure theme park. The move comes as Kong: Skull Island, a Universal Pictures film project about the good-natured, oversize gorilla, is in preproduction.

Universal Orlando didn't tout the movie project, about the iconic beast's origins, when it put out the big announcement about the Skull Island ride on Wednesday. In fact, the company says there's no connection between the ride and the film.

"Skull Island, Reign of Kong at Universal Orlando will have a completely new storyline not tied to any of the films, but the upcoming movie definitely shows the relevance of King Kong in pop culture,” said Mike West, an executive producer for Universal Creative and a designer of the Skull Island ride. He added that Universal is building the Reign of Kong attraction to coincide with Universal Orlando's 25th anniversary.

“What better way to be part of that celebration then to introduce King Kong to a whole new generation that is not familiar with him?” he said.
    Whether the film, the 25th anniversary or something else has spurred Universal to put King Kong at the center of what the company promises will be one of the the largest attractions at its twin Orlando theme parks, one thing is certain: the colossal gorilla is an appropriate fit for modern-day Orlando, where theme parks are racing to build large, eye-grabbing attractions.

Though it may well be a coincidence, the announcement about Skull Island, Reign of Kong came on the same week that Orlando Eye, the largest Ferris wheel on the U.S. East Coast, opened along the city's International Drive. Also in the works for I-Drive is the Polercoaster, which, at 55 stories, will be the highest roller coaster in the world, according to developer Wallack Holdings. The tracks of Polercoaster will wrap around the 460-foot-high Skyfall attraction, which Wallack says will be the largest drop ride on the planet. Skyplex, the theme park that will house both attractions, is scheduled for a 2017 opening.

Thus far, Universal hasn't been specific on the details of how big Skull Island, Reign of Kong will be. But West did say that said that patrons will traverse through the Great Gate, which will stand 72 feet tall. In addition, the truck in which attraction goers will ride will be one of the largest that Universal Orlando has built.

He described Reign of Kong as “massive.”

“It's really about the scale and the size and the immersive quality,” West said. “I like to call it not a multidimensional but a multiexperiental attraction.”

In this era in which outsized attractions are beginning to dot Greater Orlando, it probably didn't escape Universal that King Kong has been outsized since he first appeared on the silver screen in 1933.

Over the indoor/outdoor course of Skull Island, Reign of Kong, guests will travel by foot through a dense jungle, maneuver through temple ruins and encounter hostile natives, West said. Once they climb aboard the truck, they'll pass through the Great Gate and into a dark world of caves and caverns. They'll eventually come face to face with some of Skull Island's hulking, prehistoric species and become engaged in a fight for survival. Finally, they'll encounter the gigantic King Kong himself.

“He's the good guy,” West said.

Skull Island, Reign of Kong, will be located in a new section of Universal's Islands of Adventure, between Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park. No attractions will be removed, West said.

Universal is yet to say how much space the ride will take up or how long it will last, though West said it will likely be one of the longest at either of the company's Orlando theme parks.

West added that he's not yet sure whether the truck that carries patrons will be on a track or manually driven.

This is an updated version of the original Insight, adding the fact that a new King Kong movie is in the works for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Orlando, Kissimee in July. I've booked the flights and the hotel now all I need is park tickets but it's trickier than a mobile phone contract.

I want 2 days in Disney World and 1 or 2 days in Universal. I want the Fast Pass all the way. 7 day tickets seem like a good deal so I might stay a couple more days there if it adds up.

Anyone got the suss on how to shop for tickets. Better from home online or there somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I used

http://www.attractionticketsdirect.ie

Last year when I went to orlando last July. I cannot recommend them enough. They are cheaper than buying them thru a travel agent or direct with the parks.

They also deliver them by post with a nice wallet and some DVDs and guide books thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Fatscally wrote: »
    I want 2 days in Disney World and 1 or 2 days in Universal. I want the Fast Pass all the way. 7 day tickets seem like a good deal so I might stay a couple more days there if it adds up.

Anyone got the suss on how to shop for tickets. Better from home online or there somehow?

For Universal, consider a stay at one of their on-site hotels for one night, (not Cabana Bay though) check in early, 7am & collect your front of line pass for two days, so two days of no or minimal Q's

Disney fastpass is free, you can pre book three attractions per day per park by time slot, 60 days in advance if staying on-site, 30 days if staying off-site, place will be jammed in July

For Universal, consider a stay at one of their on-site hotels for one night, (not Cabana Bay though) check in early, 7am & collect your front of line pass for two days, so two days of no or minimal Q's

Fatscally has already stated that they've booked their hotel. Plus any decent hotel will offer a free shuttle bus to Universal and even in July a full couple of days will be enough to fit both Universal parks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Loughc wrote: »
    Fatscally has already stated that they've booked their hotel. Plus any decent hotel will offer a free shuttle bus to Universal and even in July a full couple of days will be enough to fit both Universal parks in.

Says they want fast pass all the way, in July that will be $140 + tax per person per day for Universal Express unlimited or $110 + tax per person per day for Universal express (one time per ride) so maybe factor in that cost against staying one night at a universal hotel & get Universal express unlimited included in your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

thanks guys, I have the hotels booked, I'm going with a 5 year old head case and a <2 year old. I see the best prices are from the Disney and Universal websites so far.

• Advertisement

Some news on Halloween Horror Nights 25 for Orlando this year.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/hhn25-jack-is-back/

Jack is back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gengalway

Hi Anyone know any thing about getting tickets for lego land in london they seam to be quite expencive i wonder is there a way of getting them cheaper.?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Yep. Telco clubcard vouchers. Think they're about a quarter of the price?

Tesco even!

thanks Daisy 55 but tesco or lego land sites dont give any information on that offer

No. Not on legoland site. Go to tesco clubcard site. 11 euro in tesco clubcard vouchers for one ticket.
    Have done it myself. Just order your ticket and present it at the gate.

Great Daisy Thanks so much will look into that tomorrow

gengalway wrote: »
    Any one know anything about getting tickets for lego land they very expensive can they be got cheaper?

Which legoland are you looking to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Moorsie wrote: »
    Going to Eurodisney via Cherbourg. Did it last year too. All went well until I got to boulevard peripherique. Spent about 2 hours on same with very young kids. Awful road. If not perfectly positioned in lane you risk losing mirrors from the multitude of motorbikes whizzing by. Like an anti-Christ when we arrived in Disney.

Want to avoid a similar experience. Don't mind if route is longer as long as we are moving. Any suggestions?
    Sorry for Zombie bumping this thread but we're heading to Disneyland paris via cherbourg next week and i was wondering how you all got on using this route or if there have been any other route improvements over the last three years.
    Thanks.

Lego land in london

• Advertisement

Lego land in london

Lego land in london

Kellogg's are doing a voucher for free adults tickets for Legoland. Vouchers can be found on the box of promotional packs.

More details are on the attached file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Could someone give me an overview of what I can expect from there, from a teenager point of view, is there many rides ?
    From the videos I have seen, its pretty much children activities :(

I have looked into tesco club card it is great alright but you have to have a lot of money points in it anyone I know doesn't have more than 9euro in it I also checked kelloggs but they coupons for dates for next year.😕

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Anyone been to and care to give me some reviews of Gardaland, Movieland and Caneva Aquapark in Lake Garda? Cheers

I have looked into tesco club card it is great alright but you have to have a lot of money points in it anyone I know doesn't have more than 9euro in it I also checked kelloggs but they coupons for dates for next year.😕

Hi gengalway the Kellogg's coupons expire next year they are valid from now.

Thanks Loughc I going to check that out properly👍

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just seen the thread in AH (here) about the Alton Towers Rollarcoaster Crash documented by the BBC here.

Just hope all injured will be okay!
    "The resort's fully qualified first responders were on the scene immediately to assist with the evacuation which is ongoing, and the area has been closed to allow for access to emergency services vehicles."

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Hi, I want to know if there's a way I can have my unused tickets given or sold to anybody planning on visiting Universal Studios in Singapore, expiring till 19 July 2015?? Bought 5 tickets back in January but was only able to use 2 of them, as the three others supposed to be travelling with me weren't able to get on the flight due to expiring passport (ugh!) they completely forgot to sort. So there's about 222 SGD/ 147 EUR worth of tickets down the drain. I only thought about this now, looking at my email confirmation. It does say it's non-transferrable but I don't know how strict this is as when I went, it was all self-service, just scanned the barcode on the turnstile, no ID or anything. Any advice?!

• Advertisement

Must be bad as a result the entire park is closed tomorrow l. Imagine the PR Team will be working overtime tonight!

Advertisement