Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

No your ticket only covers the theme park unless you buy a 2 park ticket. Check out attractiontix or lowcostholidayextras for prices. The parks are right beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grungefreak1

Thanks Daisy M. One more thing - can I use my PTSB Visa Debit card over there in the bank machines? I really don't want to carry cash to be honest.

GF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

We have used ptsb and ulster bank visa debit no problems. If this is your only access to money you maybe better off letting them know before you go that you will be using it in a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JosephDoyleIre

Hi all

I'm new to boards.ie - a friend of mine told me about how she used in once after losing something and that the people were very helpful, so I thought I might try it for this problem.

I run a youth group in County Meath involving children aged between 3 and 18. Every year in the summer, we go for a day out, and it's a big challenge to find a place to take them which will be fun for everyone.

Last year, we did Tayto Park. It generally worked well and everyone was happy going home. This year, we went to Clara Lara - that was just brilliant. The moment we arrived, we put down our bags at a set of picnic tables and let all of the kids and teenagers do their own thing for the day. It was a really great day which everyone thoroughly enjoyed.

So, here's the problem: we're at a complete loss as to where to go next year. We're looking for a fun park in the south or east of Ireland like this - the main thing is that the kids have a bit of freedom and there's something for everyone. For example, bringing them all to Fota Wildlife Park wouldn't work, because we couldn't unleash 80 or so kids on the poor people going to Fota for the day!

We want them to be able to run around and have fun, and just generally enjoy themselves. In Tayto Park, they did rock climbing, ziplines, the whole lot, and anyone above the age of nine or ten could really navigate around the park themselves and decide what they wanted to do. In Clara Lara, they just went everywhere and anywhere they wanted for the whole day.

It has been suggested to me a few times that I bring them to Oakwood in Wales, but the logistics of having them all on the boat are just completely unrealistic, and you have to remember - we have kids around the age of three - five with us!

I would really appreciate if anyone could let me know any ideas they have for next year's outing.

FORT LUCAN MIGHT BE WORTH A LOOK AT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

Tramore, they could go surfing, then theres the ammusement park. loads for all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Steer clear of Tramore. Will cost a fortune (the amusements) and is tacky (imo). May sound boring, but I would return to Clara Lara......

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Lough Key Forest Park in Boyle looks to have one of those adventure playgrounds and ziplines. Also you can take boat trips out on the lake. Handy enough if travelling by train with the station nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JosephDoyleIre

Fort Lucan looks interesting. marob1969, I'd say you could be right, Clara Lara might be hard to beat. It was a great day and just worked very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

Hi Guys

Im going to Orlando. One week of the trip will be spent at international drive. Should i buy passes for the theme parks before i go? is there a week long pass that I cant buy? Any help here is much appreciated. im after hearing buy tickets before you go. but tickets when you get there etc

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

We went through attractiontickets.ie. There offices are just off harcourt street.

We did save a decent amount as we bought a hopper pass for 14 days which covered all the parks except disney parks. We bought these separate to attraction tickets.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We used these guys:
    http://www.attractionticketsdirect.ie/orlando

One of the best values I'd seen for tickets anyway. They post them out to your home address, so you'd need to order well ahead of time.

Thanks guys ill book tickets off of that site cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

+1 for attraction tickets

+1 for attraction tickets?

I got my tickets from them very good, great price and really helpful staff

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yokeybob

westport house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Amber0

Hi there,

What are the best theme parks? I have 3 full days in Orlando and want to do the best ones!

Any suggestions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Amber0 wrote: »
    Hi there,

What are the best theme parks? I have 3 full days in Orlando and want to do the best ones!

Any suggestions appreciated

What do you like? if it's the thrill rides, then Universal Studios & Island of Adventure fits the bill

Disney doesn't have so many thrill rides, couple of good ones at Disneys Hollywood Studios,

If I only had three days, they are the ones I'd do

• Advertisement

3 days - ok well i think the water parks with slides you should knock off your list (wet and wild and acquitica) - cause places like canaries or crete have these. seaworld do shows with whales and so on.. prob skip it if it was me but youi might like it.

Islands of adventure and universal studios are side by side - could do in a day if you are prepared to walk alot and not to busy. you have to do the harry potter roller coaster seriously unreal. and im no harry potter fan. What i found when i was there (sept) is storms tended to form in afternoon and they close down roller coasters. So if its same when you go to roller coasters in the morning and afternoon do indoor simulators. harry potter is a indoor roller coaster similuator. The hulk roller coaster is pretty good too in islands of adventure. as was the spider man simulator.

Bush Park is like a zoo or wildlife park with roller coasters. Its a day trip to fort lauderdale well worth it. mt fav day there if you like roller coasters.

third day maybe disney. I had limited time too so never made it to disney. if you prefer to shop with great prices at outlet centres. id eat here to one of the nights : http://texasdebrazil.com/

As for attraction tickets - if you loose your ticket its a basically a case of tough luck. but if you buy from official vendors over there i think you have a come back,. Right down all ticket bar code numbers. luckily i did that and that was sufficient enough when i brought my attractiontickets receipt and other passes (that i didnt loose) - but the official stance is they didnt have to let me in as attractiontickets is a third party vendor and they cant verify tickets sold attractiontickets

Having just come back from Orlando the ones I would do are:

Island of Adventure and Universal Studios in one day - Especially Harry Potter and Minion Mayhem.
    Aquatica - Water park great rides much better than Wet n Wild - if the weather is ok
    Disney Hollywood Studios - Great rides.

Are there any kids going?
    Qing shouldn't be an issue for most of the rides it was no more than 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just photocopy or take a picture of the back of your tickets, if you lose them, go to customer services, they will cancel the originals & issue new ones, it's not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

Hi, going to Disneyland on the 20th of this month and I have everything but the tranfer to the hotel sorted. I am staying in the hipark serris Val D'Europe just outside Disneyland itself. What would be the cheapest way to get to the hotel. I found a coach service from the airport however it doesn't have my hotel on its scheduled stops. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

Back to the top just incase anyone knows anything :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The cheapest way would probably be the longest. RER B from CDG to Paris and then transfer to the RER A.

The coach to Disney + the RER for 1 stop would be next cheapest (25e?) and a little bit shorter.

The TGV to Disney and a taxi would probably take over an hour less than the other options, no more than 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nailstar

We always use rstransports, www.rstransports.com, you give your flight details and they are waiting at the airport for you, if your hotel is not listed there is an enquiry form that you can fill in. We usually book a shared option as it is slightly cheaper, you can also choose to pay when you book or pay the driver( slightly dearer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We stayed in Hipark as well when we went to Disneyland. We got the TGV directly from the airport to Disneyland.
    Train wasn't cheap but it's a 10 mins journey, it's fast and it's comfortable. Of course if you've a large family on a budget it may not be an option for you.
    Then we walked from there to Hipark. You can get a taxi but we didn't have large hand luggage and it was only a 20-25 mins walk, very easy to find. There's also a local bus that runs from Disneyland past the Hipark hotel (can't remember bus number), it's free once you're staying at the hotel and can show some kind of a pass the hotel gives you, otherwise I'm not sure how much it is, but I'd imagine less than a cab for 1-2 ppl. If you've an evening flight the buses can get very busy though as people return from the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Been looking at bringing the wee lads to Legoland in Billund and it looks like we might finally be able to to it this summer.

Has anyone any experience of it?

We've not yet booked, but are looking at three adults (granny is coming too) and two under tens.

Is it better to go with park accommodation, or maybe something nearby?

Cheers all.

LD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

billund is a small town but i would recommend park accommodation if you have kids. the park itself is an enjoyable day out

Advertisement