Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

When the park opens it often opens in certain sections. For example when after exiting Mediterrania you may find the entrance to the wild west has not yet opened and you will be directed via Polynesia or vice versa.

To make the most of it get there early, weekends are busier so be prepared, early in the week is the quietest time to go but the park will probably be open later at the weekend. Check out their web page for opening hours. If you have your tickets brought in advance then you will save time queuing.

I am not fully sure but I think if you buy them online and print them off you still have to queue to validate them, if that's the case it may be better for you to buy the actual tickets from your hotel or even on the plane on the way over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi All.

Does anyone know good theme parks near Holyhead ?

I'm planing on getting the boat then driving somewhere close.. something that doesn't take more then maybe 40 min to 1 hour to get to.. so the kids can have some time there before heading back... There's no where in Ireland i can think of.

I've been to Oakwood before.. but that was when i lived i Wexford and getting to Rosslare was easy..

any info would be great.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Nearest would probably be Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Alton Towers

ah i see.. they are to far.

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can fly Dublin to Blackpool and the airport is very close to the town itself. Might be another option.

• Advertisement

cheers.. i'll look into that one..

Was also looking at flying to East midlands and driving to Alton towers.. I've don't that before.

Cheers.

Fly into Liverpool Blackpool is 1 hour north and Alton Towers is 1.5 hours south it would be a good base to stay in with lots to do at night etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The nearest interesting place to Holyhead is Dublin.

Unless you want to go for a walk up a big mountain or similar there isn't a whole lot to do around there without getting all outdoor pursuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Or fly to Gatwick and drive to Thorpe Park, Chessington and Legoland all within an hour (or 30 minutes from Heathrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

NeVeR wrote: »
    cheers.. i'll look into that one..

Was also looking at flying to East midlands and driving to Alton towers.. I've don't that before.

Cheers.

We did that a few years back. The flight with Ryanair gets in real early (at the time the flights were only €5 each way) and the car hire was only 50 yards from the arrivals exit. The drive too Alton towers is not too long, about an hour at most.
    We actually stayed for 4 days and booked a holiday inn hotel family room and 2 day passes.
    Another year we booked with Irish Ferries which included 2 day pass to Alto and 3 nights in a family room with 3 young children at the timehttp://www.irishferries.com/ie/holidays-alton-towers-overview.asp

• Advertisement

Berberis wrote: »
    We did that a few years back. The flight with Ryanair gets in real early (at the time the flights were only €5 each way) and the car hire was only 50 yards from the arrivals exit. The drive too Alton towers is not too long, about an hour at most.
    We actually stayed for 4 days and booked a holiday inn hotel family room and 2 day passes.
    Another year we booked with Irish Ferries which included 2 day pass to Alto and 3 nights in a family room with 3 young children at the timehttp://www.irishferries.com/ie/holidays-alton-towers-overview.asp

Sorry.. there was a typo in my message.. i meant to say i've done it before.. and all your info is correct:) .. I rented a lovely Astra and spent 3 days in the park. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Oakwood theme park is about an hour from holyhead. Irish ferries used to do a day return for about 60 euro - return fast ferry, coach transfers and entry to the park. Did it two years running and great value.

Stena also do an alton towers package

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/accommodation/alton-towers-hotels/

If you really wanted another option is to take the car via P&O ferries to Liverpool on the overnight crossing takes around 8 hours. You can get a cabin and a good night sleep meaning you go to sleep and wake up in England. Then your a short stones trow to either Blackpool or Alton Towers. If you also get time theres Knowsley Safari Park just outside Liverpool http://www.knowsleysafariexperience.co.uk Its something you really must do the kids would love it. You drive though the park and the animals are right next to you not even in cages. I had a lion come up and look in the window at us, Baboons sitting on top of my car was great and they do a great show with dolphins for the kids.

knowsley-safari-park-pic-pa-image-2-240430860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kylie123

Hi, I am going to Salou in August. I have been looking at the tickets for the theme parks. Is it cheaper to buy online or should we wait until we get there? Any help most appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Myself (20) and the GF (22) are going to Orlando on the 9th October for 2 weeks.

We are planning on doing all the parks but don't think we'll bother with Disneyland as it is considerably dearer. We were in Euro Disney last November the question is would we be missing out on much by not going to Disneyland?

What is the weather like in early October? Things and Places to visit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

James__10 wrote: »
    Myself (20) and the GF (22) are going to Orlando on the 9th October for 2 weeks.

We are planning on doing all the parks but don't think we'll bother with Disneyland as it is considerably dearer. We were in Euro Disney last November the question is would we be missing out on much by not going to Disneyland?

What is the weather like in early October? Things and Places to visit ?

As Disneyland is in California, you should probably give it a skip :P

Seriously though, What parks are you going to do? Universal/IOA=3 days, SeaWorld=1 day, that leaves you 10 days or so to fill, doing any waterparks?, Discovery Cove?

You can't compare Euro Disney to Disney World, there is no comparison, if I was going with no kids, would probably do Disney's Hollywood Studios & Epcot,

Maybe Cirque du Soleil at Down Town Disney or Blue Man Group at Universal, Airboat ride? MNSSHP at Magic Kingdom?

We will be there same time as you, expect temps to be mid 70's-mid 80's, less humid than the summer months, chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon/evenings

Ok so we've booked Orlando we're going for 2 weeks on the 9th October:D

We are now looking at what tickets to buy initially we were going to buy the 6 park ticket for Universal Studios, Universal Island of Adventure, Wet N Wild, Seaworld , Aquatica, Bush gardens, Tampa Bay for €255 each for 14 consecutive days.

The above has 6 Parks but Disneyworld is not included would I be better off paying the extra few quid and going to Dinseyworld and Universal instead?

Just had a look at attractionticketsdirect, for €560 they have what they call
    an orlando freedom ticket plus ticket bundle,

Ticket includes Wet 'n Wild® Orlando as well as all the parks in Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando® plus SeaWorld® Orlando, Aquatica™ and Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay for 14 consecutive days. This is the most comprehensive Orlando theme park ticket package available PLUS for a limited time tickets also include LEGOLAND Florida at no extra cost!

So for an extra €300 each you will have access to all the Disney parks as well

That's not bad value at all if you can stretch your budget, if you decide not to buy Disney tickets before you go, but decide while there to visit, it will cost you $90/$95 per person for a one day one park ticket at the gate.

We don't usually do the waterparks, maybe 1 day, we would do 5 days at Disney, 3/4 days at Universal/IOA, 1 day SeaWorld, 1 day Busch, leaving a couple days for shopping / chillin'

Depends also on what you want to do with your time there really

Just had a look at attractionticketsdirect, for €560 they have what they call
    an orlando freedom ticket plus ticket bundle,

Ticket includes Wet 'n Wild® Orlando as well as all the parks in Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando® plus SeaWorld® Orlando, Aquatica™ and Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay for 14 consecutive days. This is the most comprehensive Orlando theme park ticket package available PLUS for a limited time tickets also include LEGOLAND Florida at no extra cost!

So for an extra €300 each you will have access to all the Disney parks as well

That's not bad value at all if you can stretch your budget, if you decide not to buy Disney tickets before you go, but decide while there to visit, it will cost you $90/$95 per person for a one day one park ticket at the gate.

We don't usually do the waterparks, maybe 1 day, we would do 5 days at Disney, 3/4 days at Universal/IOA, 1 day SeaWorld, 1 day Busch, leaving a couple days for shopping / chillin'

Depends also on what you want to do with your time there really

Thanks very much for that info.

I'm not 21 til December what the drinking laws like over in Orlando I know the legal age is 21 in Orlando but are they fairy strict ?

I'm not 21 til December what the drinking laws like over in Orlando I know the legal age is 21 in Orlando but are they fairy strict ?

Think you might struggle, the penalties for the bars, clubs & restaurants for serving to u-21's are tough, I imagine you will be asked for id everywhere you go

Your girlfriend will be able to buy so you may be limited to a few beers in your hotel room

Your passport will be no good as the month of your birth is on it but if you have a drivers licence that shows your date of birth as 09-12-1992 (dd-mm-yyyy) for example, in the US they often read that as mm-dd-yyyy so they may read that as 12th sept 1992 but I wouldn't be banking on it

I was in a liquer store one time with a girl from florida who had an expired florida drivers licence, even though she was 24, the guy wouldn't sell to her because the licence was expired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Friends just back from Orlando both in their mid 30's and they were asked to produce id in bars. Needless to say the female of the couple was delighted. It just goes to show how stringent the under age drink laws are in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You might be as well off you won't be able to drink in the pubs there. I found them the most boring bars in the US. Personally I would have enough of Orlando after a week.

Think we're flying with Delta airways anyone flown with these before? Are they any good?

I'll be taking my Ipad with me would they have plugs on the plane so I could charge it on the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They are very, very strict. Bars and restaurant staff can and do get fired for not asking to see your ID. Undercover inspections are frequent. All it takes is for one waiter/waitress to fail the inspection, and the restaurant/bar can face a very stiff fine and/or lose its license to sell alcohol for a period of time. So employees have it beat into them from Day 1 to always insist on photo ID, if they don't want to risk losing their jobs.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    They are very, very strict. Bars and restaurant staff can and do get fired for not asking to see your ID. Undercover inspections are frequent. All it takes is for one waiter/waitress to fail the inspection, and the restaurant/bar can face a very stiff fine and/or lose its license to sell alcohol for a period of time. So employees have it beat into them from Day 1 to always insist on photo ID, if they don't want to risk losing their jobs.

Would I be able to go into the bar and not drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Would I be able to go into the bar and not drink?
    You probably will, it differs from bar to bar and from state to state also. In California I don't think anyone under 21 is allowed inside the door of a bar after certain hours. Florida mightn't be that strict.
    Maybe you could get some sort of a fake ID card made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

finbarrk wrote: »
    You probably will, it differs from bar to bar and from state to state also. In California I don't think anyone under 21 is allowed inside the door of a bar after certain hours. Florida mightn't be that strict.
    Maybe you could get some sort of a fake ID card made up?

Wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Well guys I am back from Italy so here is a quick update.

Italy is beautiful far more scenic than Spain, we were spoilt for choice in regards to day trips. Having said that I think its a more "grown up" holiday than what we experienced in the Salou area. While me and my husband loved the scenery and appreciated the architecture the kids pinned for Port Aventura and the tackiness of the Salou shops. I will admit to a bit of pining for Port Aventura myself and I never thought I would hear myself saying it but I can kindof see the appeal of Salou and its nic-nac shops now. There really was not a great selection in the shops for bits that appealed to kids, even on the market they struggled, all 3 came home with money which is unheard of usually we end up giving them more!

Now we only spent one day in Gardaland and I have no real desire to return. It is an ok theme park but not a patch on Portaventura, the theming of areas is not great areas are not well defined like PA, the provided map is poor and its hard to make your way around. We were there last week and it closed at 6 in the evening. We spent the day there and didn't manage to do very much as there were a lot of queues. The water rides like the rapids and boat rides were not as steep as PA and you do not get as wet.

I think PA has more for all ages and even if you never went on a ride the theming and shows are excellent and you would still have a great day, the same could not be said of Gardaland, however when on the rides the theming is excellent.
    I think the beauty of Portaventura is that no matter which area you are in and who you are there is fun to be had even , for example you would see lots of adults going on their own on the fish ride and a couple of others while in the Sesame street area, the same could not be said in Gardaland.

Myself and hubby plan to return to Italy when the kids are older, Verona is amazing and there are so many pretty little villages that can be reached along the cycling path near Peschiera del Garda. We stayed in Bergamo for two nights and I can not understand why this city is not better known. Our amazing accommodation was an apartment in the historic "Casa Mario Lupo" in the upper city of Bergamo called Citta Alta. The views are amazing as are the cobbled laneways and trips up and down on the Funicular.
    The architecture here and in every town we visited was jaw dropping.

We found supermarkets to be reasonably priced but eating out was expensive, there was a cover charge per person and minerals were expensive. It was cheaper if me and hubby ordered a litre of house wine than a mineral each, usually 4/5e for a jug, however seeing as we had 3 kids in tow we stuck with the soft stuff.

Ah well 2 weeks of no drinking will do me no harm!

We are flying with Delta airways from Dublin to Atlanta? Has anyone flown with Delta airways before? We were going to go with Virgin Airways but it was too dear apparently with Virgin they have tvs in the seats and complimentary drink. What have Delta airways got to offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 grungefreak1

Hi,

Can somebody in the know please clarify a couple of points for me re Portaventura:

1. Does a day ticket cover the Theme Park AND the Aquatic Park?
    2. Is the aquatic park on the same grounds as the theme park?
    2. Is there anything such as a "family ticket" on offer?

GF

Advertisement