Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$$ All things to do with the HEAR and DARE schemes and how they work ... POST HERE $$

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AlTahir

I got accepted, I knew I was going to so I can't say I'm surprised.

But let me make it easier for everyone here.

I hope to do Computer Science in DIT which as of now is 405 points and has 74 places available.

What DARE/HEAR will do is give you a CHANCE to compete for a HEAR/DARE place.
    Each college reserves about 5% of their total seats towards DARE/HEAR students. If you get both you have a 10% chance
    So the CS course I want to get into has 74 places available. 74 x .05 = 3.7 or 4 places available for HEAR students. So I will compete with others for a place in those 4 seats. 4 doesn't sound like a big number but relatively it is sufficient, not that many people get accepted into DARE/HEAR, I've read on independent.ie (can't link article because I'm a new user) that about 1,000 people across Ireland are going to college with one of these schemes, though this number could be around 1,500 by now. What I'm saying is that, yes there is a strong chance you will be considered, if not you've got 9 other courses that will do the same.

Now for points. The CS points are 405, but DIT is a special case, I've read on the DIT website that they do not care how many points you get, you just have to fulfill the entry requirements and the specific course requirements and you will be considered for a spot, though not all colleges do this. So I have the same chance of getting into DIT with say 300 points than someone with 400 points, but that is only DIT. For other colleges like NUI Maynooth, DCU, UCD, TCD etc. they have a points scale, anyone with the highest points will get a space. In Trinity the Computer Science course is 460 points as of now, TCD allocates about 5% for spaces and 20% on points, so the minimum I would need to be considered for a Comp. Sci. course if 460 x .20 = 92 or 90, 460 - 90 = 370. That's the minimum, but anyone who has gotten like 430 will get the place ahead of the guy who got 370. That's how the TCD one works. Each college has how much points they intent to reduce of their website, usually it's around 15%.

Oh and if you do get accepted into the HEAR scheme only then you will undergo a MANDATORY orientation programme, this lasts for a few days and depending on the college you may or may not have to stay there for a few days to help you adjust. If you do get accepted like I did, the dates and information will be at the back of the letter you will receive.
    There are other benefits to these programmes as well, so take full advantage of this opportunity you're receiving!

That's how that system works, I hope I didn't make any mistakes, apologies if I did. Hope everyone did well on their LC! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChildtoAdult

Hey Guys,

Can someone please from experiencing the HEAR and DARE scheme tell me how and everything they did on their orientation day or days depending on college???

Prefrebly UCD,TCD, DIT and Maynooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Sinny2

Got accepted yesterday whooop so happy :D !!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

i got an exemption from 3rd language and irish and still didnt qualify for dare because my school never gave me a physco educational exam :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

i got an exemption from 3rd language and irish and still didnt qualify for dare because my school never gave me a physco educational exam :(
    So really, in fact, you didn't supply all the needed documentation.

I'm not sure there's much you can do at this point tbh, but you could always try contacting the Access / Disability office in the college you're applying to, and see would they have any advice. I wouldn't be too hopeful though, the following from the DARE FAQs on their website:
    DARE wrote:
    What are the grounds for requesting a recheck?
    You can ask to have your DARE application rechecked for two reasons:

1. If you believe that it was unsuccessful because of an administrative error. An administrative error can involve, for example, failure to take account of one or more documents or stating that a form was not stamped when it was.

2. Your supporting documents were not received by the CAO. However, you have proof of postage and photocopies of the documents to prove you sent them on time and to the correct location. If you have evidence that you submitted documents to CAO by 1st April 2014 e.g. a certificate of postage, please contact the CAO by 17:15 on the specified date in July 2014, by clicking ‘Contact Us’ on the CAO website (www.cao.ie) or by phoning 091 509800.

Can I submit new information to support my recheck?
    No. The Recheck Board will only consider documents you provided as part of your original DARE application and will not consider any change in your circumstances.
    (Red highlighting is mine.)

Link to DARE FAQs

I'm a bit surprised that neither you nor your Career Guidance teacher or whoever was organising the reference from your school etc. spotted that this was going to be a problem; they are pretty specific about the type of documentation they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

I got rejected for DARE today and I'm pretty devastated about it. We're going to appeal, of course, but I don't know if that'll achieve anything. We'd heard some good stories about other kids with AML getting it, so we were hopeful. Balls to that.

Anyone have advice for appealing? It is a lost cause at this stage?

I posted a ocupation therapist report and guidance councillor said that's all I needed to send is there any hope in appealing :P

Dont know how accurate this is but heres a link to point reduction in trinity http://www.tcd.ie/teaching-learning/academic-development/assets/pdf/accessplan2009-2013.pdf , its on the second last page of the document

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

I got accepted into hear and dare and i was already confident with my lc for my first choice , Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 debbysoap

hi all, I called hear scheme today to check if I was eligible or not (cos I hadn't got the letter) and I am thank God so I'm just wondering what's in this letter ?
    and do we have to confirm our place or ... ?

• Advertisement

The letter jus says there pleased to inform you your eligible. Dont need to confirm or anyting :) it does include the mandatory orientation dates though for the different colleges though

Sinny2 wrote: »
    The letter jus says there pleased to inform you your eligible. Dont need to confirm or anyting :) it does include the mandatory orientation dates though for the different colleges though

thank you ! :)
    i don't know if it's allowed for you to post these dates if you can, it's totally good if you can't though, you've answered my question. thanks !

What colleges are you hoping for? And i'll post the dates just it gives every college and theres about 10? :)

What colleges are you hoping for? And i'll post the dates just it gives every college and theres about 10? :)

awwhh thanks you're an angel ! :D
    tcd, you ? :)

Tcd or ucd :D its from the 8th till the 11th in trinity and non residential :)

Tcd or ucd :D its from the 8th till the 11th in trinity and non residential :)

of which month ? but i'm guessing september yes? haha :3

any1 else tinking of appealing for dare ? cud i tell them that the school was at fault i mean inoe i should of known but my guidance councilor told me all i needed was a occupational therapist report and thats all i sent inoe some fault lies with me but the school never mentioned a physcio educational assessment and i didnt have access to the internet to check :(

debbysoap wrote: »
    of which month ? but i'm guessing september yes? haha :3

Sorry ha yes september :)

You could try, I guess, Irishlad.

I wouldn't be that optimistic as to your chances, but (a) I'm not an expert on HEAR / DARE; and (b) you don't really have a lot to lose.

It might be worth initially contacting the Access / Disability office in the college you're applying to, and getting their advice.

Its seems like a lost cause at dis stage :( I don't c y an ocupation therapist report is not enough and y the scholl never mention a physio educational exam.were I'm realy stung is the fact that u can't send any info on ur situation to dare :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

To get the HEAR application rechecked do I need to send in all the documents again? It says a recheck will not be complete unless supporting documents and proof of postage is not sent off before 9th of July. I'm confused.

It seems to be in the event that documents were not received (or perhaps in case something was overlooked or mislaid), so yes, they're asking you to send them in again.
    HEAR FAQs wrote:
    I sent in supporting documents but I don’t think you took them into consideration?
    If you have evidence that you submitted documents to CAO in time to arrive by 1 April 2014 e.g. a certificate of postage, you should complete an online recheck form by 5.15pm on Thursday 3 July 2014 and also please submit proof of postage and clear copies of your supporting documents no later than Wednesday 9 July 2014. Proof of postage and documentation should be sent to HEAR Proof of Postage Recheck 2014, CAO, Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway. Your HEAR Recheck Application is not complete until you have supplied this information to the CAO.
    Link to FAQs page.

Note that the proof of postage they are looking for is for when you sent them in for the original deadline, to prove that you did in fact send them in.

What reason did they actually specify for turning you down?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So lets just say now that the course I entered had like 4 HEAR places, the course was 300 points and I was the only one who applied for that course who was elligible for HEAR and I only got 250 points, would I get my HEAR place? This is just an example btw :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Badwulf wrote: »
    So lets just say now that the course I entered had like 4 HEAR places, the course was 300 points and I was the only one who applied for that course who was elligible for HEAR and I only got 250 points, would I get my HEAR place? This is just an example btw :L

I think so but only if you got the matriculation for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

If its non residential you still can stay overnight if you want ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I got accepted and I'll likely be going to the Maynooth orientation programme, but it says I have to stay overnight yet I have nowhere to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChildtoAdult

Shane15 wrote: »
    I got accepted and I'll likely be going to the Maynooth orientation programme, but it says I have to stay overnight yet I have nowhere to stay?

You stay on campus
    The college supplies accommodation for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

Something I'm curious about is that I stated I'd need Accessible Accomodation in my application to DARE, which was successful, but I'm unsure how to check if the "Accessible Accomodation" aspect was accepted. Will there be notification of this in applying for/choosing on-campus accomodation in August or does the college contact you directly after the points are revealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hanzz

Got accepted to the HEAR programme, I will be away till the 1st of September however, I'm not sure who to contact as I dont know what college I will attend till August?? D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

Hanzz wrote: »
    Got accepted to the HEAR programme, I will be away till the 1st of September however, I'm not sure who to contact as I dont know what college I will attend till August?? D:

Once you receive Leaving Cert results and you are offered and accept a place on HEAR, you will need to RSVP to the Orientation Week invitation (if you can't attend). You will need to indicate if you will be absent and state reason. This will then be reviewed/granted by the Access Office.

Advertisement