Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$$ All things to do with the HEAR and DARE schemes and how they work ... POST HERE $$

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It will be after the Leaving Cert has finished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Going on previous years it's the last week or so of June or first week of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

But see if your accepted, l does that mean that your defo gonna get a place through Hear?

Yes, even if you don't need "reduced points", you will get a HEAR place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You still need to get points close to what's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

I'm a repeat and I got a letter about a month ago saying I was eligible to compete for one of the hear places on offer, but no one else in my school got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

has anyone gotten any form or anything yet saying if they have the HEAR or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hanzz

You're meant to get a letter sometime near the end of this month saying if you got it or not

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Badwulf wrote: »
    has anyone gotten any form or anything yet saying if they have the HEAR or not?
    They don't contact people until after the LC is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauren2107

Does anyone have an idea how many points off you get if you get accepted? It's all very vague online and I'm panicking now about points and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

lauren2107 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea how many points off you get if you get accepted? It's all very vague online and I'm panicking now about points and the likes.

I think it's within 15% off the required points but I also think it varies between colleges. I'm not 100% sure tbh

There are no set points reductions to the best of my knowledge (though there will normally be a a maximum reduction i.e. they will not accept people with less than X points).

As I understand it, they rank the qualified HEAR applicants for the available HEAR places each year, and it depends on their points.

So, for example, if there are 10 HEAR places allocated for a course, the normal cut-off was 450 and and the 10th HEAR applicant on the list got 445 points, the biggest points reduction for that course that year will only be 5.

However the following year, the cut-off might again be 450, but the 10th HEAR applicant to be admitted may only have 435 points, so that year the biggest points reduction offered would be 15.

Hence why they can't be completely specific in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

There are no set points reductions to the best of my knowledge (though there will normally be a a maximum reduction i.e. they will not accept people with less than X points).

As I understand it, they rank the qualified HEAR applicants for the available HEAR places each year, and it depends on their points.

So, for example, if there are 10 HEAR places allocated for a course, the normal cut-off was 450 and and the 10th HEAR applicant on the list got 445 points, the biggest points reduction for that course that year will only be 5.

However the following year, the cut-off might again be 450, but the 10th HEAR applicant to be admitted may only have 435 points, so that year the biggest points reduction offered would be 15.

Hence why they can't be completely specific in advance.

If the points is 450 and the lowest HEAR place allocated for that course gets 460, then what happens to the HEAR applicants that get 455 and the ones that get 450 or lower?

K6Y wrote: »
    If the points is 450 and the lowest HEAR place allocated for that course gets 460, then what happens to the HEAR applicants that get 455 and the ones that get 450 or lower?
    Well, the ones that get 455 and 450 would obviously get their places anyway without needing recourse to HEAR for any leeway on points.

I'm honestly not sure when they say "10 places allocated to this course on HEAR" do they mean "10 places for HEAR applicants who need some level of points reduction" or do they mean "10 places for those who are qualified for HEAR" (and I think different colleges may have a slightly different take on that) so I can't honestly answer you re: the people under 450.

I'm no expert on the scheme, sorry, I don't deal with it day to day.

Well, the ones that get 455 and 450 would obviously get their places anyway without needing recourse to HEAR for any leeway on points.

I'm honestly not sure when they say "10 places allocated to this course on HEAR" do they mean "10 places for HEAR applicants who need some level of points reduction" or do they mean "10 places for those who are qualified for HEAR" (and I think different colleges may have a slightly different take on that) so I can't honestly answer you re: the people under 450.

I'm no expert on the scheme, sorry, I don't deal with it day to day.

X amount of HEAR places are given. When you are entering through the HEAR scheme you are competing against other HEAR people, as opposed to regular CAO people. There may be nobody in a course than got "reduced" points, or everyone could be above the minimum points for the course that year.

Points reduction is just one of the benefits of HEAR, there are many others, and how good they are depend on what college you go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

Chloec96 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when you find out if you have been accepted for the hear scheme or not?

hi, results are being posted out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauren2107

egg head wrote: »
    hi, results are being posted out tomorrow

How do you know they are out tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

If you meet all the requirements that you need, will you definitely get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

hi, I rang them ages ago, said they will be out 25th June. I rang them today, will be posted tomorrow, so people should have something in the post on Thursday.fingers crossed & everything else.
    How do you know they are out tomorrow?

hi, because i rang them, posted tomorrow, will have something in the post Thursday morning, fingers crossed and everything else as well !!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

just to tell you all, i got a letter from Hear today so that means you should all get one either today or tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 spiritwatch117

Hi,

I just sat the Leaving Cert this June and I applied for the Hear Scheme. I filled out the form and sent all the supporting documents that were required within the time frame that was given. I knew applying for Hear would be a risk as I was aware we were over the income limit as my father was only made redundant in November 2012- meaning our income was higher then than it is now.

I received a letter in the post this morning telling me that I didn't get a Hear place, I had three other indicators bar the income one. My question for you is, is it worth my while appealing? Will they take into consideration the difference in my family's income now? I know for certain that for the year 2013 we were under the income limit.

Any comments would be helpful, thank you.

How could appealing makes things any worse?
    Appeal and get the most recent financial data.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah, got the same letter. I've only fallen under two of the headings including the income one

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

anyone who got accepted into hear applied to veterinary med in UCD?!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Anyone else get into hear in dcu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

I got a letter today saying I got accepted into the Hear Scheme, Whoop! NUIG is Residential and lasts four days, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rosco2014

if i got a letter today saying my application to hear is succesful does that mean ill definately get it if i get the minimum entry requirements for any course on my cao?

rosco2014 wrote: »
    if i got a letter today saying my application to hear is succesful does that mean ill definately get it if i get the minimum entry requirements for any course on my cao?
    No, it's not that simple.

They have a number of places allocated for HEAR on courses, and they will rank the HEAR-qualified applicants for those places in much the same way that the normal CAO works. So while the HEAR points are usually lower than the normal points, it's not as simple as "meet the minimum requirements, place guaranteed!"

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

I was rejected for dare despite supplying documentation and need help in the recheck processes asap

• Advertisement

What kind of help?

Why were you rejected?

If you gave them the same kind of detailed information you're giving us, lad ... ! :pac:

Advertisement