Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOS Scopetronic Homeguard SOS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭squidgyimp

Right took cover off a window and door sensor and they are identical in every way except colour. There is a rectangular box at one end that the wires connect to and also where the magnet sits near on the doors. At the other end there is a cylindrical object that rattles when removed and shook so they definitely appear to be shock and contact sensors, just not branded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

This rectangular object that the wires are connect to, is it a small green pcb?

Is the sensor head like a little barrel that is mounted on 4 little plastic holders?

No all that's visible on the rectangular brown box is six screw on one half for connecting the wires from the panel and then on the other half six connection points which two are connected to the "sensor head like a little barrel that is mounted on 4 little plastic holders".
    The two centre connection pins appear to be connected to something under/internal but cannot quite see what without taking apart.

Am I missing something or am I restricted as a newbie to post pictures as I cannot for the life of me work out to post/attach a picture

Ok I am thinking it might be a Shorrock model, here is an images page from Google, is it there?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=inertia+shock+sensors&client=ubuntu&hs=tPd&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QX1-U7GjBKXm7AbHpYGYAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=631

A picture tells a thousand words ;)

Just seen I need to make 50 posts to enable the abilty to post photos. (half way to go).

Anyway kub the picture with the green glass on the first page resembles my units outer casings

• Advertisement

Actually kub after putting the same search through Bing images, I get a much clearer picture and the one with the green glass titled "skynetsecurity.ie" is definitely the same sensors that I have.

It is the first generation HKC sensors that you have, God knows they gave trouble in their time :rolleyes:.

Anyway on the terminal block which the 2 white cables are connected to with the panel cables, the two outer terminals on either side are for connecting the contact reed switch, that is if it is a reed terminal block.

In order to find out, turn the terminal around and check can you see a little reed switch in a channel at the back of it.

Hi kub,
    this is what I have, two of the doors have sensors which have a reed switch in them, one door has two magnet strips (probably one block reed and one block magnet) attached to it (narrow space) and all windows have no reed included but there is space in them for one. Also big metal contact on garage door.

Can the window ones be upgraded with reeds or should I just replace (recommendations please) when I can ?

thanks

Personally speaking I do not have much confidence in those sensors, in that I have found through out my years servicing/ repairing systems that they are / were very troublesome. Hopefully yours are ok, but a story will be told after you change out your panel.
    In that if there are any dodgy ones out there, your replacement panel will probably analyse the zones better than the last one and any dodgy sensors out there will cause trouble.

The groves as you see on your window sensors which are empty are indeed for reed switches but only during the original manufacturing process. Basically when they were bought, the ones with the reeds were for the doors and without are for the windows, the ones without the reeds are a little cheaper than the ones with them.

You can always buy separate contact units and fit them to the openings alongside the window sensors and wire them in series with the sensors.

Hi guys, just going through the manual of the hkc before I tackle the panel and section 2.4 has my a little confused in regards to it says to connect the strobe to the internal siren contacts on the panel. Is that what I have to do or is that just for the SABB box and I should just connect my internal siren there ?.

Also I think I will upgrade these inertia's in a bit, so do you have any recommendations of ones to go with this panel including pir's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can you list what connections you have from the external bell on the existing panel.?

ok this is what I've got:
    SAB EXT INT
    TAMP -ve BELL BELL

RET HOLD - + - +
    BLUE YELLOW GREEN WHITE BLACK RED
    X2 X2

as you can see there are 2x black and red however only one set of red and black belong to the cable containg the blue, yellow, green and white. the other red and black go in to another wire.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the panel what colours are to what terminals?

Sorry I did actually have them all lined up put did not notice that after I posted everything shifted.

Tamp - Blue = RET. Yellow = HOLD.
    Exterior bell - Green minus, White plus.
    Internal bell - Black minus, Red plus

Ok so as I explained yesterday they will go to the corresponding connections in the HKC panel. Leave the resistor in place and leave out the tamper return.

That's okay, understood. Just wanted to make the two sets of red and black stayed the same way for the new panel as there was two sets of wires going into just two contacts.

Thanks

That's right. On those panels the Strobe & the internal siren run off the same input.

Thanks for the confirmation KoolKid

Right lads hope I find you well today.
    I have the replacement panel up and nearly wired in but just need to check something with yous.
    Whern taking out the old panel the was a capacitor (I think, small grey box) between the live and neutral wires going into the box,
    do I need to put this in the replacement panel and does it matter which way round it goes if it does

squidgyimp wrote: »
    Right lads hope I find you well today.
    I have the replacement panel up and nearly wired in but just need to check something with yous.
    Whern taking out the old panel the was a capacitor (I think, small grey box) between the live and neutral wires going into the box,
    do I need to put this in the replacement panel and does it matter which way round it goes if it does

No you do not need that on the HKC, back in the day Scopetronic had to retrofit those as there was some issue with the transformers if my memory serves me right.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks, gonna watch the F1 now so probably finish her off tomorrow, I'll let yous know how I get on.

Oh by the way, any thoughts on recommendations on replacement sensors as mentioned in post 41.

Thanks

I like the GS711s
    Aritech-GS711.jpg

thanks
    and what about pir's

Siemens wired or Pyronix.

Thanks KoolKid. I'll let you know how I get on.

Yes the Gs 711's look great, we normally use the gs613's and Bosch pirs.

Thanks lads for all your help and I'll definitely check out your suggestions in the near future. Cheers

Back again with another question. Going by the manual, which method do I use to connect two inertia's for the same zone ie, two kitchen windows ?.
    Section 2.3, img 4 with resistors or section 2.5.
    I'm thinking its section 2.5 but I just want to make sure.

squidgyimp wrote: »
    Back again with another question. Going by the manual, which method do I use to connect two inertia's for the same zone ie, two kitchen windows ?.
    Section 2.3, img 4 with resistors or section 2.5.
    I'm thinking its section 2.5 but I just want to make sure.

I do not have the manual to hand but the way it currently is, is traditional 4 way wiring. Leave the wiring as it is.

• Advertisement

My old scopetronic only has three main zones and there is a few of these sensors piggybacking or connected together. In fact zone one had a jumper in both the alarm and tamper with no wires at all !.
    3 of the sensors are connected in a similar way to section 2.5 but their black and blue cables are just paired of in a cable connector

Advertisement