Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Nissan Pulsar for Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aye but the Tiida came out in Japan 10 years ago, the ugliness gap between today's Pulsar and the competition is similar.

Its already outdated looking and its only launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can only find pics of the top spec model but its a revolution in looks up against the Tiida

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Aye but the Tiida came out in Japan 10 years ago, the ugliness gap between today's Pulsar and the competition is similar.

Its already outdated looking and its only launched.

Maybe so, just speaking from my personal view, Tiida always looked terrible and just saw the Pulsar at the ploughing for the 1st time and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Surely none of this matters because it looks so bad?

I'm reminded of lads here getting excited about the tiida coming out before they saw the actual car.

While it's not exactly a looker, and personally I wouldn't be seen dead in one, it's hardly that bad? It's no worse than an Auris or Hyundai i30 really.

It's miles ahead of the Tiida, but that is faint praise, as that certainly was a shocker.

It's still hard to believe this came from the company that made the GT-R or the 370Z.

.... personally I wouldn't be seen dead in one

Between comments like this, the wrong wheel drive posts regarding Audi and the seeming hatred of 4 cyl engines I really am intrigued as to what you drive.

Yet you won't tell me, I think this is my third time asking :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I actually like it. Nissan have really improved their design and interior qualities. Though obviously the Micra is ugly as hell and the Leaf needs a refresh. But the interior in the Pulsar is not bad at all, I certainly wouldn't mind sitting in it. And it's not bad to look at from the outside. Yeah I drive a MK II prius so it would be nicer for me to hop into apart from the Diesel perhaps.

I was impressed sitting in the new Quashqai , it's not a bad place to sit at all !

I bet the pulsar will get the usual low powered Renault Diesels ?

Probably won't sell anything over 90 hp 1.5 DCI in Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I actually like it. Nissan have really improved their design and interior qualities. Though obviously the Micra is ugly as hell and the Leaf needs a refresh. But the interior in the Pulsar is not bad at all, I certainly wouldn't mind sitting in it. And it's not bad to look at from the outside. Yeah I drive a MK II prius so it would be nicer for me to hop into apart from the Diesel perhaps.

I was impressed sitting in the new Quashqai , it's not a bad place to sit at all !

I bet the pulsar will get the usual low powered Renault Diesels ?

Probably won't sell anything over 90 hp 1.5 DCI in Ireland !

I sat into one of these new Pulsars at the ploughing last week.

Its no style icon - but it looked far more agreeable in the flesh then I was expecting from the pictures.

Driving position is probably one of the best ive ever found in a modern car - and its not a bad place to sit.

Early reviews make them out to be pretty ordinary to drive however

Old diesel wrote: »
    I sat into one of these new Pulsars at the ploughing last week.

Its no style icon - but it looked far more agreeable in the flesh then I was expecting from the pictures.

Driving position is probably one of the best ive ever found in a modern car - and its not a bad place to sit.

Early reviews make them out to be pretty ordinary to drive however

Was it the bog spec with bog interior ?

Nothing wrong with ordinary to drive really. As long as it has a decent bit of power and soaks up the rough roads without being a barge I'd be happy.

Was it the bog spec with bog interior ?

Nothing wrong with ordinary to drive really. As long as it has a decent bit of power and soaks up the rough roads without being a barge I'd be happy.

I thought it was one of the normal spec models when I sat in it - but I didn't actually check what I was in.

Was too busy being impressed to sit in a modern hatchback and get a nice driving position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The interior looks poor enough but I don't mind the exterior. It is bland and slightly dated but not as bland as say a Golf. The Golf has a better interior though.

• Advertisement

The interior looks poor enough but I don't mind the exterior. It is bland and slightly dated but not as bland as say a Golf. The Golf has a better interior though.

If it's anything like the current quashqai then I'd be quiet happy with the interior.

The golf in bog spec is nothing special and anything more will cost nearly 30 k so I would expect the golf to be better in fairness if only marginally. The golf is a small car for the money, it's a bit crazy actually.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I don't know...all very mundane and exactly what I'd expect from a car in this segment. The lack of spec in the base model is surprising however.

Yes it's well worth the upgrade to mid spec. I think this will sell, I don't think it will cause any great upset to other makes but for Nissan it's going to shoe things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Top spec is worth it for 24k ish. decent headlights, blind spot monitoring and heated "leather" are well worth the extra in my book. I'd prefer them in a Gokf/Leon/Focus/308/anything else bar an Auris in that class mind.

PulsarEngines.jpg

The Petrols are actually impressive, 200 a year to tax, 20 extra than the rattle box diesels. Why on earth would you want a diesel these days for maybe an extra 8 mpg and 10 if you're lucky ? I don;t believe the diesels will get 3.4 L/100 kms which is 84 imperial mpg. I would say 65 mpg average, per tank and maybe 48-52 for the petrols ?

I'd have the petrols without doubt if doing 10-12K miles a year.

Even the CVT petrols are 200 a year to tax.

PulsarPriceList.jpg

Pulsar3.jpg

Interior is not bad at all.

2013_06_11_nissan_pulsar_hatch_17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's interesting that Nissan are making a car in this segment again, after killing the Almera and Primera in favour of the Note/Juke/Qashqai.

Just when others like Toyota/Honda are rumoured to be killing off Euro models like the Avensis and Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll be more excited when Nissan sell the Fuga and Elgrand in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Jeez didn't even known the new pulsar hasn't come out back home yet. It's been in Australia a while now.

I like it. The basic model is fairly crap looking though.

The Sedan is in the V8 Supercars. Think I might prefer the sedan to be honest.

It's interesting that Nissan are making a car in this segment again, after killing the Almera and Primera in favour of the Note/Juke/Qashqai.

Just when others like Toyota/Honda are rumoured to be killing off Euro models like the Avensis and Accord.

The Pulsar is in a different market segment to the Avensis and Accord though - and imo the Avensis/Mondeo/Accord/Passat sector has been hit by the move to "compact executive" cars from prestige brands - for example BMW 3 series and Audi A4.

The "its good enough - and thus its fine" approach of the Mk 3 Avensis and other such cars - is coming home to roost for manufacturers like Toyota.

The European market demands more then that from its cars in terms of driving (handling, ride quality, performance), styling and a nice interior.

This will probably mean the Pulsar may struggle in a European context if the early reviews are an accurate about how it drives etc - ie its okay - but no more then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Badge means more than anything else to 90% of drivers, let's be honest.
    This will do fine but II don't see it being a huge hit.

• Advertisement

I don't believe more than 95% of drivers care about handling to be honest, most people, including myself prefer a comfortable car on bad quality Irish roads. There's no point having a hard suspension if it rattles your fillings on bad roads, it becomes old and tiring quickly !

Even a prius MK II handles well enough to allow decent progress on back roads, I think if you want better handling then you will be driving in a dangerous manner on most roads in Ireland.

Most people prefer, value for money, and the new reg than power, handling or looks. If people preferred looks they wouldn't buy a boring Golf in bog basic trim with a bog 1.6 TDI !

And yes the badge is a big part of it also.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Badge means more than anything else to 90% of drivers, let's be honest.
    This will do fine but II don't see it being a huge hit.

A fair point - but the point is with the Avensis - Toyota haven't even tried to compete or make a car that's a game changer in its segment.

VW managed to completely change the Passats fortunes back in 97 with the B5 because the B5 bought a level of appeal to potential owners in various areas that had never been seen in a Passat previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It looks alright to me, I can't help thinking that it's main rivals will be the Nissans Note and Juke though, rather than making inroads into Focus/i30/Ce'ed etc.

Old diesel wrote: »

VW managed to completely change the Passats fortunes back in 97 with the B5 because the B5 bought a level of appeal to potential owners in various areas that had never been seen in a Passat previously.

VW quality also took a huge nose dive in the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It's so cheap for one here in Australia. Brand new 2013 ST-L sedan for $18k AUD drive away.

Almost tempted.

BMJD wrote: »
    It looks alright to me, I can't help thinking that it's main rivals will be the Nissans Note and Juke though, rather than making inroads into Focus/i30/Ce'ed etc.

Its going to seriously damage the Juke, potentially leading to its demise in time.
    I think this Car will be a seller. It will be bought by people that can't afford a Qashqai but the Note/Juke is too small for them. Nissan have been losing buyers in this market for a while now.
    I actually know a guy that has had Nissan for many years and has recently bought an i30 for the above reason

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wonder what the nismo pricing will be like ?

irishmover wrote: »
    It's so cheap for one here in Australia. Brand new 2013 ST-L sedan for $18k AUD drive away.

Almost tempted.

Is there a vat equivalent there ?

here there is 23.5% added on and then they add the VRT on after all the other taxes are applied thieving gits.

I bet you don;t know yourself there ?

There is so much tax on cars here It must really hurt car sales.

I believe if you reduce tax more people will buy, but the Government don't realise this or care, they just think the highest tax they can lamp on the more money they'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Most people prefer, value for money, and the new reg than power, handling or looks.

See how the Koreans have taken their whole range upmarket in image and price, and are now selling shedloads of cars compared to when they were cheap tat.

People may not want power or handling, but they won't buy crap anymore.

Unless it is priced like a Dacia.

• Advertisement

See how the Koreans have taken their whole range upmarket in image and price, and are now selling shedloads of cars compared to when they were cheap tat.

People may not want power or handling, but they won't buy crap anymore.

Unless it is priced like a Dacia.

No I did not say people want to buy crap, this isn't what I meant when I said value for money.

Kia have improved greatly and I do like the look of the sportage, but I prefer the Quashqai and the interior of the quashqai over the sportage. And probably more than most Kia's, I would prefer the Leaf interior over the Kia Soul interior, but the Soul Ev is a better E.V.

I wouldn't drive a Dacia if I was given one, they are horrible inside and out. I would rather buy 2nd hand for the same money a far better car. But I can see how they would appeal to drivers who want cheap and new and the most basic of basic, usually it's people 50+ I see driving Dacias because they're cheap, no gadgets or climate control they can't ever figure out how to use and it's a new car in the drive.

Advertisement