Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Curious on peoples cutting/working schedules. I have just over 4000 m2 in n two sections connected by 5mtr x 3mtr corridor. Currently following manufacturers 14hr run time for the area 4 days a week. Trying to figure out is this too much time or too many days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Thud

Thanks Thud,

How was the setup for you. I've heard a few people had issues with it for a number of weeks trying to return home, getting stuck, Wifi and app connectivity issues? Whats your experience?

I also heard that the manual says the charging dock needs to be dry. Did you mount a cover over yours? and How long have you been running it?

Thanks
    Set up was ok, I have a few raised tree roots that I had to repositin the wire on as it got stuck at the start but no issues since.
    I also switched off the zone cutting as it will bounce around in side the areas anyway and setting zones just meant it followed the guide wire more than needed leaving the odd wheel mark at corners.

No cover on the dock, the rain sensor is on the top so needs to be exposed. I've seen some covers with holes in them but didn't bother. Dock is against a wall so gets some shelter.

I have it about a year now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Curious on peoples cutting/working schedules. I have just over 4000 m2 in n two sections connected by 5mtr x 3mtr corridor. Currently following manufacturers 14hr run time for the area 4 days a week. Trying to figure out is this too much time or too many days

There is no set schedule across the board. Every lawn will be different depending on your soil, grass, aspect, time of year etc.

What you need to do is cut the time back bit by bit and just monitor it yourself. If it still looks clean cut then take another hour off the schedule and check again in a week until you find a schedule that works for your lawn. Obviously best to do this in summer during the fast growth months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

nicol wrote: »
    If MyRobotCentre is a no-no, then are there other sites that offer similar prices without the poor Customer Service.

I can see why people would be annoyed at the delays but IMO their comms are good and when they do ship its quick and efficient via GLS. Mine arrived Friday and it was 500e cheaper than anywhere in Ireland. I was happy to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

slegs wrote: »
    I can see why people would be annoyed at the delays but IMO their comms are good and when they do ship its quick and efficient via GLS. Mine arrived Friday and it was 500e cheaper than anywhere in Ireland. I was happy to wait.

How many times have you ordered from MRC Slegs, would you be a regular and returning Customer?

Wondering if the above positive endorsement is based on one transaction where your item wasn't really affected by any major delays and you just happened to get lucky.....

I'm still waiting for the second half of my order from 18th of March last - I've a string of polite but hollow emails and no product.

Am going searching for alternative Suppliers today as I've officially given up - I'd actually cancel and initiate a chargeback but I'm curious now how many more emails it might take and if I'll have the order before Christmas.

• Advertisement

Mango Joe wrote: »
    How many times have you ordered from MRC Slegs, would you be a regular and returning Customer?

Wondering if the above positive endorsement is based on one transaction where your item wasn't really affected by any major delays and you just happened to get lucky.....

I'm still waiting for the second half of my order from 18th of March last - I've a string of polite but hollow emails and no product.

Am going searching for alternative Suppliers today as I've officially given up - I'd actually cancel and initiate a chargeback but I'm curious now how many more emails it might take and if I'll have the order before Christmas.

I ordered first on Feb 28th and this was delayed twice to end March delivery and then I changed my order to another product in mid March. Again this was delayed twice to mid April and I received last week. Its very possible there are delays is deliveries as I am sure they are handling large volumes of product.

I did send them a strong note to say I wasn't happy with the delays and wanted my order delivered and I didnt get any more delay mails.

All I am saying is that I get its not great but for me the price difference was worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

As per my post earlier on MRC

Hi,

I was in the same boat.

I cancelled my order with MRC with the move to 20th April and following a lead from another member, I got one from https://www.newgardenstore.eu/en/

I got a M500, slightly more expensive that MRC but ordered and dispatched within 6 days and delivered to Co Clare within another 6 days.

Just setting it up now..............which leads me to another question

Regards

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I purchased 2 from MRC. It wasn't the fastest turnaround but it was all upfront.

I purchased before the cutting season and what is clearly a rush on buying. I would suggest that this year will be a huge increase of lawn robot sales globally.

My 1st one was late last year and was on backorder with a due date of a few weeks later. It seemed to take an extra week or 2 to actually dispatch after the due date.
    I dont know if that is because the due date was missed, or if their process has delays in it. (Maybe they are drop shipping to get the pricing that they have?)
    The 1st one had a missing addon. (the ACS system was purchased at the same time) and their support handled this very well.

My 2nd mower was bought at the start of this year (After I found that I couldn't get the 1st mower to the front lawn).
    This purchase took ages because the M500 was out of stock and unable to backorder.
    So, It's not like they had my money or anything.
    Once it became available to order, it had a due date - again a week or 2 away.
    This time it seemed to ship pretty close to the due date.

In both cases the delivery from dispatch to arrival was over 1 week.

Overall for me it was a positive experience and I would happily use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

No need to do chargebacks. I sent them email and same day money was returned. TBH I have given up on getting a robot this season- may go back to ordering something in Autumn for next year.

No need to do chargebacks. I sent them email and same day money was returned. TBH I have given up on getting a robot this season- may go back to ordering something in Autumn for next year.

A previous post of yours mentioned that you were hoping to buy a Worx Landroid M700 for around €680.

They're rated for 700 square meters - If I was you I'd be at least considering the McCulloch Rob R1000 which is rated to 1000m +/- 20% or alternatively one of the other rebadged Husqvarna Automowers on the North X South Site here

I had next day delivery on mine and its been a brilliant buy - Aside from cutting the grass it's been constant entertainment :D

I really wouldn't wait.......

• Advertisement

slayer91 wrote: »
    As per my post earlier on MRC

Hi,

I was in the same boat.

I cancelled my order with MRC with the move to 20th April and following a lead from another member, I got one from https://www.newgardenstore.eu/en/

I got a M500, slightly more expensive that MRC but ordered and dispatched within 6 days and delivered to Co Clare within another 6 days.

Just setting it up now..............which leads me to another question

Regards

Liam

That site is 750e more expensive on the Husqvarna 430x than MRC....just as a reference point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I came across the Gardena Sileno today, down from 1499 to 999 in Coopstores
    Not as good a deal as last years deal on the Gardena Smart Sileno
    but it seems a good price.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Robotic-Lawnmowers/Gardena-Sileno-1600-Square-Metre-1782407

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

A previous post of yours mentioned that you were hoping to buy a Worx Landroid M700 for around €680.

They're rated for 700 square meters - If I was you I'd be at least considering the McCulloch Rob R1000 which is rated to 1000m +/- 20% or alternatively one of the other rebadged Husqvarna Automowers on the North X South Site here

I had next day delivery on mine and its been a brilliant buy - Aside from cutting the grass it's been constant entertainment :D

I really wouldn't wait.......

I ordered the new version at €750... I went for the M700 as I have 500 sqm, so wanted to buy a bit higher rated
    So don't really need a 1000 sqm +-20%, but thanks for the tip.

I also started thinking of doing up the back garden a bit and if that happens will have more rather than less grass I think.. so I am simply back on the fence :)

I ordered the new version at €750... I went for the M700 as I have 500 sqm, so wanted to buy a bit higher rated
    So don't really need a 1000 sqm +-20%, but thanks for the tip.

I also started thinking of doing up the back garden a bit and if that happens will have more rather than less grass I think.. so I am simply back on the fence :)

McCulloch Rob R1000 all the way - They're a brilliant machine...... It's not going to be an issue that you've less grass (for now) it'll just be more capable at tackling what's in front of it.

Open to correction here but if you've a machine that's slightly over specced for your lawn square meterage then you're just working the battery and motors that bit less and probably just have a longer working life with less potential issues - If there's a downside I'm not aware of it.

Its around €750 at the moment on the NorthxSouth site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hi guys,
    I'm up and running with the ambrogio a few weeks, delighted with it!
    I think I've most of the teething problems sorted out now, he's not really getting stuck anymore but I've one issue that I'm looking for tips on! 2kVSBee
    So far I'm sending him out 3 times a day, 4 hours in each area with 2 hour gaps in between for charging. He'll always stay in A1, mostly will stay in A3 but can't get him to stay in A2, he quickly makes his way back to A1.
    Just for info the blue dots are trees and the green circle is a trampoline.
    Any advise on how to get him to spend longer in A2.
    The base is just behind the garage btw.

https://flic.kr/p/2kVSBee can't seem to post photos

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

neilc wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I think I've most of the teething problems sorted out now, he's not really getting stuck anymore but I've one issue that I'm looking for tips on! 2kVSBee
    So far I'm sending him out 3 times a day, 4 hours in each area with 2 hour gaps in between for charging. He'll always stay in A1, mostly will stay in A3 but can't get him to stay in A2, he quickly makes his way back to A1.

The first thing I'd try is to make sure that the distance to A2 gets the mower well into A2, maybe you have already done that. If it starts down the far corner of A2 then that should spend longer there.

Also having tried that and observing you could split A2 into 2 Zones and send the mower to different parts of A2 and the new zone.

Also on my app I can exclude from certain areas so if you were to exclude from A1 when you send to A2.

Thats what I'd try in that order.

I have an L3501 Elite and 6,500 sq mtrs in 8 zones. Not perfect but working pretty well on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

in the process of redesigning the grounds of our property and we are going to end up with a very big lawn , house was surrounded by a wall which was ugly and knocking it meant opening up a small field which came with the house

measured it today and the back is 15 m x 20 m , the front is 35 m x 35 m

completely flat , is there a robot mower on the market which could handle this area ?, il probably end up putting sheep on the large section in a few years the thing is so gigantic

one off house fifteen minutes outside galway city

i could even be tempted to sow the larger area in wild flower meadow , you need to cut it as often as a lawn for the first few years so the grass wont take over from flowers

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    in the process of redesigning the grounds of our property and we are going to end up with a very big lawn , house was surrounded by a wall which was ugly and knocking it meant opening up a small field which came with the house

measured it today and the back is 15 m x 20 m , the front is 35 m x 35 m

completely flat , is there a robot mower on the market which could handle this area ?, il probably end up putting sheep on the large section in a few years the thing is so gigantic

one off house fifteen minutes outside galway city

i could even be tempted to sow the larger area in wild flower meadow , you need to cut it as often as a lawn for the first few years so the grass wont take over from flowers

Thats about 1500m2. There are lots of mowers that handle that and and alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Hi guys,

Hi have a elite 240i plus, had similar problems, like someone else suggested here already have your area entry points as far in the area as possible that definitely helps. My initial schedule setup I had it area by area split times and very detailed. Ended up selecting all areas and putting Luigi out for the time specified in the manual 4000m2 roughly 14 hours. He’s been excellent since gets to all areas within that time frame. Initially had him out 7 days and slowly brought it back to now our Monday Wednesday Friday with 3 border cuts spread over the 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

E3OM3 wrote:
    The first thing I'd try is to make sure that the distance to A2 gets the mower well into A2, maybe you have already done that. If it starts down the far corner of A2 then that should spend longer there.

Also having tried that and observing you could split A2 into 2 Zones and send the mower to different parts of A2 and the new zone.

Also on my app I can exclude from certain areas so if you were to exclude from A1 when you send to A2.

Thats what I'd try in that order.

I have an L3501 Elite and 6,500 sq mtrs in 8 zones. Not perfect but working pretty well on the whole.
    Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Hi have a elite 240i plus, had similar problems, like someone else suggested here already have your area entry points as far in the area as possible that definitely helps. My initial schedule setup I had it area by area split times and very detailed. Ended up selecting all areas and putting Luigi out for the time specified in the manual 4000m2 roughly 14 hours. He’s been excellent since gets to all areas within that time frame. Initially had him out 7 days and slowly brought it back to now our Monday Wednesday Friday with 3 border cuts spread over the 7 days
    Thanks lads, some good suggestions there, will try them and report back on progress.

• Advertisement

Thats about 1500m2. There are lots of mowers that handle that and and alot more.

closer to 2500 metres squared ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Hi,

Just got around to setting up my husqvarna but was under inpression I made up my pin.

If I ordered from myrobotcentre, do I have to contact them or am I missing something?

Thanks

FM252 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just got around to setting up my husqvarna but was under inpression I made up my pin.

If I ordered from myrobotcentre, do I have to contact them or am I missing something?

Thanks

They email it the temporary pin you on shipping and you are asked to choose your pin on first use

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    closer to 2500 metres squared ?

35 x 35 = 1225m2 and 15 x 20 = 300m2 unless i missed something

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Alright thank you. I never received that email

35 x 35 = 1225m2 and 15 x 20 = 300m2 unless i missed something

i do beg your pardon , we have a strip which was originally included in the lawn expansion but is now going to be excluded and left as part of the sheep paddock ( we have two acres in total )

i had the total written down along with other measurements and forgot to deduct

you are correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Old Jim

Could also check that you have the size of the area set large enough. Maybe try increase it to see?

Thanks lads, some good suggestions there, will try them and report back on progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

ArrBee wrote: »
    Why not just fit an Irish plug?

Easier said than done - on the Husqy, it's a plug / transformer unit, so you need to use an adaptor.

That being said, I've maintained my warranty by using an adaptor but voided it by cutting the cable to extend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Lurching wrote: »
    Easier said than done - on the Husqy, it's a plug / transformer unit, so you need to use an adaptor.

That being said, I've maintained my warranty by using an adaptor but voided it by cutting the cable to extend it!

Fair enough!

On the worx, the plug and transformer are sperate.
    I've changed the plug on the one that has the socket inside the garage. But the 2nd mower will be connected outside once I get an electrical feed put there. I'm yet to decide what I do for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Has anyone ever tried getting a robot lawnmower rated for a lower area to do a bigger area? Eg if you've got 650m2 grass to cut but the mower is rated up to 500m2?
    I'm probably going to get a worx and buy extra boundary cable if needed but I'm trying to see if I can save a few hundred quid. My lawns are fairly flat but there's a front and back with driveway between them.
    I tried looking online but can't seem to find an answer

Advertisement