Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback

Options
  • 19-05-2014 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

As per the title, we're running a feedback thread here in order to gauge opinion on the forum, how it can be improved, what's wrong with it, what can we change, how can we make it better - the usual feedback'y type stuff :) We'd appreciate any feedback you might have to offer, but please keep it constructive & civil

Cheers all
    Myrddin

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hey, I reckon one thing that could help a lot would be a dedicated mod who comes fro inside the community (so that they are active) this way issues here wouldn't be as much of a drain on the Cmods like yourself and the mods in the FM/CM forum. I think this sub-forum is actually busier than the main forum and one of this might actually be one of the busier subforums in this section (could be way off here) so imho a mod might be both needed and beneficial for all involved?

Having someone here regularly will nip a lot of the nonsense that goes on in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

IMO it's pretty much fine the way it is. There are the occasional spats between posters but sure that's normal on any forum and I don't think things ever get too personal. I'd imagine a count of the reported posts would show very few from SM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Seaneh wrote: »
    Hey, I reckon one thing that could help a lot would be a dedicated mod who comes fro inside the community (so that they are active) this way issues here wouldn't be as much of a drain on the Cmods like yourself and the mods in the FM/CM forum. I think this sub-forum is actually busier than the main forum and one of this might actually be one of the busier subforums in this section (could be way off here) so imho a mod might be both needed and beneficial for all involved?

Having someone here regularly will nip a lot of the nonsense that goes on in the bud.

If a mod were to be introduced here, I'd actually prefer someone outside the forum.

A lot of posters here are friendly with some and not so friendly with others and frankly I would be concerned with the possibility that a mod selected from posters here may have trouble staying neutral at times.

A mod from outside the forum who hasn't had any interaction with any of the spats or gripes some have gotten into would be best as they would be able to remain objective in any future incidents IMO.

Just my 2c.

If a mod were to be introduced here, I'd actually prefer someone outside the forum.

A lot of posters here are friendly with some and not so friendly with others and frankly I would be concerned with the possibility that a mod selected from posters here may have trouble staying neutral at times.

Just my 2c.

I think a few people, like Willow and a few others, are well able to and have always stayed neutral on spats.

Having a dedicated mod only makes a difference if they regularly check the forum. Someone from outside the community won't bother checking here, the FM/SM mods are officially our mods and they never post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Inside/outside..... One thing is for DAMN sure, this place needs a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't think it is crying out for a designated mod to be honest.

It seems people know where the report button is anyways so whatever needs sorting gets sorted, and sometimes stuff that doesn't need sorting.

A designated mod would be of benefit though, and someone who is a regular neutral poster (Seaneh highlighted 2 obvious candidates) here would be the better option.

It would allow us to get the charter edited when needed, for example with the most recent issue that cropped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hi all

As per the title, we're running a feedback thread here in order to gauge opinion on the forum, how it can be improved, what's wrong with it, what can we change, how can we make it better - the usual feedback'y type stuff :) We'd appreciate any feedback you might have to offer, but please keep it constructive & civil

Cheers all
    Myrddin

Less moderation and dumb naziesque rules would be a start. A healthy sense of perspective in the grand scheme of tings would improve tings also. Finally a realization perhaps that it's just a website. Mods are not lawyers nor are they police. It's just a website.

It's just a website.

(just a website!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bazarakus wrote: »
    Less moderation and dumb naziesque rules would be a start. A healthy sense of perspective in the grand scheme of tings would improve tings also. Finally a realization perhaps that it's just a website. Mods are not lawyers nor are they police. It's just a website.

It's just a website.

(just a website!)

Thank you for that well thought out and thought provoking piece of feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I think a moderator is needed to a certain extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I would think a mod is needed and the charter updated slightly aswell. But deffo a mod whos one of us and knows the line between banter and insults!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd kind of agree on the mod thing (I've mentioned it before) but don't think it's an absolute necessity.

I think sometimes there's topics which, as soon as they are starting, should be cut off or branched off, but that someone not interacting directly and regularly might not notice. The report function works grand in time but isn't necessarily the quickest.

But as I said, that's only a minor nitpick. The reality is because the forum is used by such a small number of posters and doesn't draw heat from other places, it isn't something that urgently needs attention. It's really the only thing that could be done to improve things, but other than that everything runs smoothly and brilliantly.

Thank you for that well thought out and thought provoking piece of feedback :)

Don't mention it. Cool nickname by the way. What's it short for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'm not too convinced that this place is in dire need of a mod either, although from a general maintenance perspective I can certainly see why having a one would come be useful. Also, I suppose the odd time some spats do get a little out of hand and need to be "nipped in the bud" at an early opportunity.

Given that my name has been put forward, I would have no problem in assuming the role of a mod in this forum, that is if people wanted me to.

What would one's responsibilities be if one were to become a designated mod of a sub-forum?

Wilberto wrote: »
    I'm not too convinced that this place is in dire need of a mod either, although from a general maintenance perspective I can certainly see why having a one would come be useful. Also, I suppose the odd time some spats do get a little out of hand and need to be "nipped in the bud" at an early opportunity.

Given that my name has been put forward, I would have no problem in assuming the role of a mod in this forum, that is if people wanted me to.

What would one's responsibilities be if one were to become a designated mod of a sub-forum?

Perfect man for the job IMO ;)

Really? I had no idea this groundswell of opinion would appear.

OK ... I reluctantly accept!

I wouldn't mind doing the moderation either. I have plenty of free time for atleast the next 4 months so I'll be pretty much available all the time. I love hate you all equally seeing as I haven't had any spats with people (that I can remember). But I completely understand if you want someone who'll be in the actual gameworld to be the moderator.

But you should note that I have a beard, and that you should always trust people with beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I wouldn't mind doing the moderation either. I have plenty of free time for atleast the next 4 months so I'll be pretty much available all the time. I love hate you all equally seeing as I haven't had any spats with people (that I can remember). But I completely understand if you want someone who'll be in the actual gameworld to be the moderator.

But you should note that I have a beard, and that you should always trust people with beards.

Perfect man for the job I reckon ...

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Perfect man for the job I reckon ...

Was it the beard or my free time that did it for you?

It was the beard, wasn't it :D

Wilberto or PJB or both.....

Either way, both of those are well capable of doing the job for sure

I actually don't think you'd make a good mod.
    There is also a kind of unwritten rule on boards, if you nominate yourself as mod, you won't be a mod.

• Advertisement

Wilberto or PJB or both.....

Either way, both of those are well capable of doing the job for sure

rYPy1OS.gif

Just to be clear guys, nobodies name has been 'put forward' other than what has been said in this thread. Mods are chosen based on their record in a forum, their overall record on the site, their contributions to a forum/the site, etc. It's not something chosen on a whim, & not something decided by votes etc. Again, just so we're clear :) I'm reading all the feedback anyway, & will definitely look at the merits of having a dedicated mod(s) around.

A few of you have mentioned the charter & updating the charter, what type of things do you wish to see changed/added/amended in the charter?

Just to be clear guys, nobodies name has been 'put forward' other than what has been said in this thread. Mods are chosen based on their record in a forum, their overall record on the site, their contributions to a forum/the site, etc. It's not something chosen on a whim, & not something decided by votes etc. Again, just so we're clear :) I'm reading all the feedback anyway, & will definitely look at the merits of having a dedicated mod(s) around.

A few of you have mentioned the charter & updating the charter, what type of things do you wish to see changed/added/amended in the charter?

Where is the charter?

Where is the charter?

Charter here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057144941

This point is senseless:

"A Mod decision is final, if you disagree with an infraction or ban feel free to take it to the pm level. If your still not happy, there is a Dispute Resolution Procedure you can follow. Don't argue with a mod on thread."

Why would one person's decision be final? If that's the case then there is no point in anything. If you can be arbitrarily banned because of the opinion/whim of a mod then what is the point in arguing a final decision? The decision is final but you can disagree? This does not make sense.

I think that's a pretty standard line across the entire site Baz. Publicly, the mods make a decision and that's the end of public discussion. After that, you can try and change the mind of the mod privately (meaning you don't drag the topics away from what they should be about) and there's a section to deal with it publicly but again away from the main topic, stopping disruption.

It also strikes me that line of thinking isn't actually a piece of feedback for the SM forum but rather the site in general; that if you have a problem with the ToS of boards.ie, then there's other subsections to discuss it, rather than trying to bring it up in a thread which should be about feedback of this sub-section of the site specifically.

On that note...is it me or is the thread title of the charter weird? For me, it's "Charter - Read th"...is it meant to be "Charter - Read this before posting"?

I think that's a pretty standard line across the entire site Baz. Publicly, the mods make a decision and that's the end of public discussion. After that, you can try and change the mind of the mod privately (meaning you don't drag the topics away from what they should be about) and there's a section to deal with it publicly but again away from the main topic, stopping disruption.

It also strikes me that line of thinking isn't actually a piece of feedback for the SM forum but rather the site in general; that if you have a problem with the ToS of boards.ie, then there's other subsections to discuss it, rather than trying to bring it up in a thread which should be about feedback of this sub-section of the site specifically.

On that note...is it me or is the thread title of the charter weird? For me, it's "Charter - Read th"...is it meant to be "Charter - Read this before posting"?

Mate if you're asking for feedback then someone gives feedback and you say "that's not feedback" then you're not gonna get much feedback. All feedback is good feedback. In the real world anyway and while THIS IS A PRIVATELY OWNED WEBSITE AND THERE IS NO FREE SPEECH we are all human beings who speak English and live on planet earth so some of the basic tenets of business and indeed must apply, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The charter was made by myself and 3/4 other members just throwing ideas around via PM's and that was what we came up with and then asked for it too be stickied.

Mate if you're asking for feedback then someone gives feedback and you say "that's not feedback" then you're not gonna get much feedback. All feedback is good feedback. In the real world anyway and while THIS IS A PRIVATELY OWNED WEBSITE AND THERE IS NO FREE SPEECH we are all human beings who speak English and live on planet earth so some of the basic tenets of business and indeed must apply, no?

I am not saying not to give feedback, but for example, what would you suggest is the alternative with regards how mods are making decisions? Be constructive and offer an alternative. What would you rather that line be (in a realistic way)?

• Advertisement

I am not saying not to give feedback, but for example, what would you suggest is the alternative with regards how mods are making decisions? Be constructive and offer an alternative. What would you rather that line be (in a realistic way)?

That's for the authors fo the charter and the forum owner's representatives (mods) to decide. Asking me for feedback is one thing, asking me to rewrite stuff is entirely someting different. I don't know. It's my feedback, it's not a unilateral demand for change by me. The site will prevail, I'm just responding to requests for feedback, not jumping on anyone's back and elbowing them in the ear.

Advertisement