Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    I hope the motion gets passed,SKY have pretty much failed in everything they had hoped to do.
    <snip>
    If sky are so unhappy and have failed, then surely they will not be interested in renewing the rights contract anyhow.

It could be the case though that their figures and analysis shows that they have got extra domestic and pub renewals in Ireland on the back of having the rights.

For example, Sky sports for a year at home is €67x12 = 804.
    In a pub, anything over €1000
    If sky have 100 new pubs or renewals that otherwise wouldnt happen, thats €100,000 income.
    If they have 1000 new or retained domestic subscribers thats €804,000 income

So very quickly they have €1million in the bank for what is relatively few extra subscribers.

On their signup page as the reason to pay for a sky sports subscription
    7 Sky Sports channels
    116 Premier League live games
    Exclusive live matches from the GAA

So essentially to them its a great reason to persuade people to sign up, whether people watch it is actually fairly inconsequential as they signed up to give sky €800 over the year which goes into skys bank regardless of whether you look at a certain programme or not

No
    actually, my sums are wrong. For a pub it can be over €1000 a month, so thats €12k a year.
    If sky sign up just 83 new pubs at that price, thats a million euro income, which shows that viewing figures mightnt be what makes sky tick !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    actually, my sums are wrong. For a pub it can be over €1000 a month, so thats €12k a year.
    If sky sign up just 83 new pubs at that price, thats a million euro income, which shows that viewing figures mightnt be what makes sky tick !

Sky have started showing kabbadi so clearly viewing figures aren't the be all and end all for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No
    I hope the motion gets passed,SKY have pretty much failed in everything they had hoped to do.

As Paul Rouse has stated about viewing figures "The facts are clear: more people watched Judge Judy on TV3 on a Thursday afternoon than a premium hurling match between Clare and Cork in the All Ireland Championship.

More people watched Oireachtas Report after in mindinght in June than the Cork/Clare match."

SKY & TV3 had similar bids last time around and it was the big viewer ship that swung it for SKY,Next time around TV3 & UTV will have stronger hands to play

Except that Paul Rouse's 'facts' are constantly wrong, as he doesn't count HD viewers like me. But then the real figures would be less useful to his tiresome agenda, so why bother using them...

Hopefully common sense will prevail and Sky will be allowed to continue their coverage, which is streets ahead of RTE's outdated efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

iDave wrote: »
    Sky have started showing kabbadi so clearly viewing figures aren't the be all and end all for them

Subscribers are the be all and end all.
    If its not retaining or attracting new sub's then its not working for Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No
    Except that Paul Rouse's 'facts' are constantly wrong, as he doesn't count HD viewers like me. But then the real figures would be less useful to his tiresome agenda, so why bother using them...

Hopefully common sense will prevail and Sky will be allowed to continue their coverage, which is streets ahead of RTE's outdated efforts.

It also doesnt count online viewing of the sky go app.

And Paul Rouse has a consistent history of writing "facts" about the detriment of "subscription" TV sports channels to sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Undecided
    It might be a moot point anyway considering SKY might not want to renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided

OK so we know why it's a great deal for SKY but why is it a good deal for the GAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

OK so we know why it's a great deal for SKY but why is it a good deal for the GAA?

Competition which should force up the price of broadcast rights.

You remove competition and the GAA can't extract as much money from broadcasters as they would like to.

Undecided
    Competition which should force up the price of broadcast rights.

You remove competition and the GAA can't extract as much money from broadcasters as they would like to.

When your product is as strong as the All Ireland championships the price will never waiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

When your product is as strong as the All Ireland championships the price will never waiver

Of course it will. If only RTE are bidding on broadcasting games, they can pretty much offer the GAA 50p and then say, that's our best offer, take it or leave it. The more competition there is, the more money on offer.

Undecided
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Of course it will. If only RTE are bidding on broadcasting games, they can pretty much offer the GAA 50p and then say, that's our best offer, take it or leave it. The more competition there is, the more money on offer.

Well the IRFU are in a similar boat where they negotiate with just terrestrial stations and TV3 outbid RTE by 700k to capture the 6 nations for 5m.

With UTV now sitting down to the table competetion will be at an all time high,These stations cant get enough live sport and the 2 All Ireland finals are almost never out of the top 10 most watched TV of the year.
    Add in the "Sunday Game" and AI semi finals and provincial finals its arguably the most lucrative sports package available to those stations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Well the IRFU are in a similar boat where they negotiate with just terrestrial stations and TV3 outbid RTE by 700k to capture the 6 nations for 5m.

With UTV now sitting down to the table competetion will be at an all time high,These stations cant get enough live sport and the 2 All Ireland finals are almost never out of the top 10 most watched TV of the year.
    Add in the "Sunday Game" and AI semi finals and provincial finals its arguably the most lucrative sports package available to those stations

Six Nations coverage is negotiated by the Six Nations Council and not just the IRFU.

Secondly the IRFU don't only negotiate with terrestrial stations. November internationals, World Cup warm up games have all featured on Sky Sports with the latter being televised exclusively on Sky.

Celtic Rugby Limited (Pro12) and European Professional Club Rugby also negotiate with non terrestrial stations. IRFU is a shareholder in both companies.

No
    nope, at the request of the IRFU the rights for Ireland for live coverage of the 6 nations are not protected meaning that the pay TV channels could come in.
    They are also not protected in the UK and only have to be shown later in the day deferred.
    Theres a review ongoing since last year, and again the IRFU made a submission outling that there would be a substantial reduction in income if pay TV could not bid for the rights

Obviously, if the games are available unscrambled from the UK broadcasters then nobody will bother with bringing them to a subscription channel in Ireland.
    But, the possibility is there that the 6nations will all end up behind a paywall, and if anything its the possibility that games will end up being bought by the likes of sky that increases the revenue to the association.

The all Ireland finals are covered by the protected designation and the GAA have asked for this to continue , but in the light of how things have panned out with the coming of Sky and the reaction to it, maybe the semis should also be added to the list.
    I dont ever see the semis being exclusively on pay TV, but if they were also added to the designated list then at least it would reassure the "vulnerable frail 135 year old man in the thatched cottage with no road up to it on the side of the mountain" that he could receive these games for the foreseeable future (obviously on a solar powered TV as he would be so rural he wouldnt have mains electrictity, him being so remote and all that)

Undecided
    What are SKY bringing to the table though,Their coverage imo is only marginally better than TV3's but there lack of viewers would be a bigger concern to me.

They outbid TV3 by approx. €300k,So is 300k more important than a couple of hundred thousand viewers?

I genuinely don't see how this deal benefits the association

What are SKY bringing to the table though,Their coverage imo is only marginally better than TV3's but there lack of viewers would be a bigger concern to me.

They outbid TV3 by approx. €300k,So is 300k more important than a couple of hundred thousand viewers?

What Sky are bringing is access to the huge UK market.

Now its another argument about whether the product is making any inroads into that market.

If Sky do not see an increase in summer subs, not viewing figures but subs, in Ireland and the UK then they will not be as interested in bidding next time round.

Simple as that

Because if TV3 decide to up their offer by 400k.Sky if they want the product will up their offer above what TV3 are offering and so on an so forth until the GAA get a nice bit of extra money out of the broadcasters wanting to show the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

TV3's future was bleak at the time. UTV Ireland was launching and taking TV3's programming with them. Doing a deal with them wouldn't have been sensible.

They are in much better shape now with new investment but a lot of people in the north can't get TV3

No
    howiya wrote: »
    TV3's future was bleak at the time. UTV Ireland was launching and taking TV3's programming with them. Doing a deal with them wouldn't have been sensible.

They are in much better shape now with new investment but a lot of people in the north can't get TV3
    yep, Ireland is 32counties yet tv3 only covers 26 of them.
    Grand, along the border you can get a signal, but the further you go in the bigger the aerial you need until it is impossible or impractical to get a signal.
    Its not on Northern Ireland sky so once you are away from the border you simply cannot get those games.

At least with the current sky deal, theres games on RTE every Sunday all summer long (with 2 per day except for semi final and final days) and you can follow a game of interest on a Saturday evening on sky in every corner of Northern Ireland if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Undecided
    BT sport might be the dark horse in all of this. They have expressed an interest in possibly bidding next time out. I think the GAA should give the rights for the game to a company willing to push it if they have to give it to a pay channel. I think BT would do a better job as sky have shown little to no interest, basically hoping for viewers and sticking it on Sky sports 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No
    Condenser wrote: »
    BT sport might be the dark horse in all of this. They have expressed an interest in possibly bidding next time out. I think the GAA should give the rights for the game to a company willing to push it if they have to give it to a pay channel. I think BT would do a better job as sky have shown little to no interest, basically hoping for viewers and sticking it on Sky sports 25.
    there were actually a few matches on sky sports 1.

BT being interested is good. it should drive up the value of the next deal, hopefully by a few million. i hope sky keep it but BT might force them to pay more.

If BT get it, we might be able to watch it on the setanta package, like with the ufc. would be a big bonus to them. league and championship on setanta.

Undecided
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    there were actually a few matches on sky sports 1.

BT being interested is good. it should drive up the value of the next deal, hopefully by a few million. i hope sky keep it but BT might force them to pay more.

If BT get it, we might be able to watch it on the setanta package, like with the ufc. would be a big bonus to them. league and championship on setanta.

Theres no marketing drive. No action packed ads or promos and no match of the day style programme for people to get a grip of other games happening especially seen as rte have all the decent early stuff like munster hurling. Its purely filler to sky

No
    well, its going to fascinating now that the Luxembourg based Setanta Ireland are being bought by Eir (formerly Eircom) http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/eir-chief-describes-deal-to-buy-setanta-sports-as-game-changer-1.2457735
    If Eir want to go down the road of BT sports and get sporting rights to boost their IPTV products then the obvious next move would be to snap up more GAA rights on top of the Allianz leagues which they already have.

I'm unsure whether the backlash against sky is just because the games are on pay tv, or is there an aspect that sours peoples view of the Sky deal simply because Sky are seen as being a massive ultra commercial pay TV station. Would people be more happy with an "Irish" company (based in Luxembourg, owned by international speculators) than the evil monster that is Sky TV ?
    If Eir/ Setanta got the rights then many games could be free in the cities on Setanta on the cable networks and people in the country may have it free through their phone deal. Access would increase greatly.

As an aside, if Setanta had the current championship deal (so is widely available in houses across Dublin for free) then I could not imagine Dublin proposing to ban pay TV coverage like they did at congress last month, so again showing that a Setanta deal could be more palatable than one with sky.

Undecided
    well, its going to fascinating now that the Luxembourg based Setanta Ireland are being bought by Eir (formerly Eircom) http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/eir-chief-describes-deal-to-buy-setanta-sports-as-game-changer-1.2457735
    If Eir want to go down the road of BT sports and get sporting rights to boost their IPTV products then the obvious next move would be to snap up more GAA rights on top of the Allianz leagues which they already have.

I'm unsure whether the backlash against sky is just because the games are on pay tv, or is there an aspect that sours peoples view of the Sky deal simply because Sky are seen as being a massive ultra commercial pay TV station. Would people be more happy with an "Irish" company (based in Luxembourg, owned by international speculators) than the evil monster that is Sky TV ?
    If Eir/ Setanta got the rights then many games could be free in the cities on Setanta on the cable networks and people in the country may have it free through their phone deal. Access would increase greatly.

As an aside, if Setanta had the current championship deal (so is widely available in houses across Dublin for free) then I could not imagine Dublin proposing to ban pay TV coverage like they did at congress last month, so again showing that a Setanta deal could be more palatable than one with sky.

If it has to be behind a pay wall, which I don't think it should, it should be about more than just money. I'd want detailed proposals on how they intend to promote. How many ads, how much coverage on news bulletins and magazine programs. Who's going to push the sport in the UK if they are going to even bother to back up the assertion that this deal is to spread the game to a wider audience.
    An extra 250k means nothing if the games aren't being promoted. If they could pick up a steady 500k viewers in the UK then they could ask for 5 million more next time round.

If it has to be behind a pay wall, which I don't think it should, it should be about more than just money. I'd want detailed proposals on how they intend to promote. How many ads, how much coverage on news bulletins and magazine programs. Who's going to push the sport in the UK if they are going to even bother to back up the assertion that this deal is to spread the game to a wider audience.
    An extra 250k means nothing if the games aren't being promoted. If they could pick up a steady 500k viewers in the UK then they could ask for 5 million more next time round.

The games aren't going to take off in the UK.Most people in the UK probably see as an obscure indigenous sport that they know nothing about.

Very few sports unless they have a massive country and media behind them (i.e. America) actually take off properly.

The main benefit Sky bring is they can force other bidders to pay more for the product.

A tiny proportion of games on a subscription channel will make no difference to the games popularity in this country.

Undecided
    The games aren't going to take off in the UK.Most people in the UK probably see as an obscure indigenous sport that they know nothing about.

Very few sports unless they have a massive country and media behind them (i.e. America) actually take off properly.

The main benefit Sky bring is they can force other bidders to pay more for the product.

A tiny proportion of games on a subscription channel will make no difference to the games popularity in this country.

That's fine, but at least admit it. The GAA spun this as a way to sell the games abroad which its clearly not. If they want more money then change the structures of the games here and let the people who want to see them, see them. Its not very intelligent business to cut off and alienate quite a large percentage of your repeat market. It will come back to bite them in the ass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No

did you not see all the self congratulatory type tweets on joe.ie and their ilk about some lad in yorkshire and Toronto who cant believe they had never seen the sport before? Success if I ever saw it!:pac:

That's fine, but at least admit it. The GAA spun this as a way to sell the games abroad which its clearly not. If they want more money then change the structures of the games here and let the people who want to see them, see them. Its not very intelligent business to cut off and alienate quite a large percentage of your repeat market. It will come back to bite them in the ass.

But it is a way to sell the game abroad, and as others have stated it also has allowed access in NI that was not there with TV3.

And it has also brought access to many UK based Irish people who are familiar with it.

Now is it just another indigenous sport on TV in the UK, of course it is.
    The only indigenous sport that has broken the UK in the last 100 years is American Football and even that has only marginal interest.

As I keep saying if Sky don't see the sub increases or retention they will not be sticking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

But it is a way to sell the game abroad, and as others have stated it also has allowed access in NI that was not there with TV3.

And it has also brought access to many UK based Irish people who are familiar with it.

Now is it just another indigenous sport on TV in the UK, of course it is.
    The only indigenous sport that has broken the UK in the last 100 years is American Football and even that has only marginal interest.

As I keep saying if Sky don't see the sub increases or retention they will not be sticking around.

They need to create some kind of attachment of the people to teams. Millions of people in the UK have Irish heritage, heritage that is probably very easily traceable to a particular county.

Give people a system to find where their roots are and give them a team to follow. I know there are census's for that kind of thing but the GAA need to take the initiative here, think of the massive potential there for many many new GAA fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

O Riain wrote: »
    They need to create some kind of attachment of the people to teams. Millions of people in the UK have Irish heritage, heritage that is probably very easily traceable to a particular county.

Give people a system to find where their roots are and give them a team to follow. I know there are census's for that kind of thing but the GAA need to take the initiative here, think of the massive potential there for many many new GAA fans.

Are you suggesting the GAA set up an ancestry service for casual fans?

Advertisement