Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Undecided
    The sky analysts always discuss the game that was played which is something the RTE panelists often fail to do.

The main 3 RTE analysts always have pre conceived idea about teams and players and do whatever they can to back it up without acknowledging the game that has just taken place. That's the reason I almost always never watch the punditry on the live RTE games anymore.

They didn't even bother to discuss the game last night. Instead they decided to preview next week games. They're a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Undecided
    I think Sky are just showing the GAA because BT Sport are out competing them on certain other sports.

It will be interesting to see how long Sky keep showing the GAA coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Undecided
    I'm not a huge fan of the Sky deal, but fabricating stuff about how rosy the situation was preSky serves no-one to be honest.
    As recent as 2011 only one of the four Round4 qualifiers was on TV. That was the extent of the TV deal, one live game from each round of the qualifiers. Package was awarded to TV3.

Discussed here at the time with people wondering why the games aren't on.

This was a decision of the GAA.

2010 50 Games were shown FREE to AIR.

2011-2013
    the GAA limited the number of games to be shown live. At that time, it allowed 40 games to be shown, 31 on RTE, and 9 on TV3.

2014 onwards 31 games will be shown on free-to-air, and 14 on Sky.

So you can see the massive reduction that has occured in Free to Air games being shown in Ireland. It has served no one well as the GAA did not gain a massive influx of money for selling the games to Sky. They tried to sell a lie that it would get massive international attention in the UK and abroad. The viewing figures have been less than people attending the games. Channel 7(Aus) dropped the games altogether within the 1st year of having rights.

All the GAA succeeded in doing is depriving even the most casual observer the right to watch our national game in Ireland.

I suggest that anyone who has any doubts about the realities of what the Sky deal has done reads this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

threeball wrote: »
    You've completely misrepresented what I said, read it again "regardless of who had the rights". In other words whether it was TV3, RTE, UTV, BBC these games were due to be shown in the tv rights package awarded.
    Skys involvement has zero influence on these games being shown on tv.

I'm baffled by you now, you said these games (R4 qualifiers) 'were always on TV' and I've pointed out that these games weren't always on TV. And I'm misrepresenting you :confused:

Same in 2012 one game in R4 on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They didn't even bother to discuss the game last night. Instead they decided to preview next week games. They're a shambles.

Yes they did.They discussed it immediately after the game and were discussing the man of the match candidates etc.

• Advertisement

Undecided
    I'm baffled by you now, you said these games (R4 qualifiers) 'were always on TV' and I've pointed out that these games weren't always on TV. And I'm misrepresenting you :confused:

Perhaps try reading full sentences rather than cherry picking what suits. I said that these games would always have be on TV regardless of who had the rights. Perhaps you don't know how this works buts its the GAA that decides how many games get shown not RTE and not SKY. These games are parts of a rights package and would be shown regardless of the media outlet that owned them.

If the GAA wants to build the game abroad put it on terrestrial FTA TV or Netflix or Youtube and build up a following. Sticking it behind a paywall does nothing for international growth. There's always a Bravo or Spike TV station in every continent crying out for content like this. Give to them for a nominal fee and leave the FTA games for home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

STB. wrote: »
    This was a decision of the GAA.

2010 50 Games were shown FREE to AIR.

2011-2013
    the GAA limited the number of games to be shown live. At that time, it allowed 40 games to be shown, 31 on RTE, and 9 on TV3.

2014 onwards 31 games will be shown on free-to-air, and 14 on Sky.

So you can see the massive reduction that has occured in Free to Air games being shown in Ireland. It has served no one well as the GAA did not gain a massive influx of money for selling the games to Sky. They tried to sell a lie that it would get massive international attention in the UK and abroad. The viewing figures have been less than people attending the games. Channel 7(Aus) dropped the games altogether within the 1st year of having rights.

All the GAA succeeded in doing is depriving even the most casual observer the right to watch our national game in Ireland.

I suggest that anyone who has any doubts about the realities of what the Sky deal has done reads this

Thats all genuinely interesting, but I'm not sure what relevance it has in the context of a claim that the games on Sky last night were games that were always shown on TV, when in actual fact only one of the four R4 qualifiers were shown under the previous deal. FWIW I'd actually blame RTE/TV3 for signing up for those previous packages that neglected knockout qualifiers and concentrated on anaemic provincial quarter/semifinals. The Sky deal is far better in that sense, whether it was Sky savvyness or acknowledgement by the GAA that they'd got it wrong is something we'll never know.

As for the viewing figures etc, they are fairly stark alright. Its doesn't mean the GAA 'sold a lie' though, possibly they just got it wrong and overestimed how big it could get on international platforms. Thats business, mistakes happen. Presumably the 2017+ rights will be coming up soon and they can decide on a different approach if they feel they got this one wrong.
    You called it from the start so kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Couldn't disagree more. Bad an all as Brollys bitching can be at least he has some insight into the game, same with Dessie Dolan and the production quality is pretty decent. Sky's just looks a feels cheap. If you can't even get the sound right in a studio environment what hope is there. The whole touchscreen gimmick is just that, a gimmick.
    Anyone can pick out what should have been done at various times in a game with a birds eye view and retrospective 20:20 vision, its a lot harder to do when your lungs are burning and you're being pressured. Show me 4 examples of the same mistake in a game I might find it interesting. Show me one and its nit picking.
    Rte do a bit of this but Sky does it ad nauseum. Rte analysts are much better at dissecting a system that a team is using that wouldn't be obvious on camera. Sky just trot out the same waffle week after week.
    The sky analysts always discuss the game that was played which is something the RTE panelists often fail to do.

The main 3 RTE analysts always have pre conceived idea about teams and players and do whatever they can to back it up without acknowledging the game that has just taken place. That's the reason I almost always never watch the punditry on the live RTE games anymore.

I actually agree with both of you. Neither of the two productions are perfect. RTE....clueless commentators, who should have retired years ago, Brolly shouting over everyone else, Spillane & his cliches & refusing to see anything but thru a Kerry prism, too many boring old farts who haven't touched a ball or a hurl in 20 years, having a say. But with the introduction of Eddie Brennan, Eamonn O'Hara and Dessie Dolan, they have showed to be willing to freshen things up a bit.

Sky....that stupid interactive telly is just a gimmick, Senan O'Connell has never had an original thought in his life, Rachel Wyse has all the personality of a potted plant, Horan & O'Se are decent enough, but are far too cute to ever say anything that would damage them in Kerry/Mayo. McIntrye is excellent, but Early and that other fella is like listening to paint dry.

But all in all, I'd still take RTE over SKY. At least there is a bit of personality there...a bit of spark and energy and the possibility of a bit of divilment and craic. The way that the hosts and pundits bounce off each other can be entertaining. That's something SKY won't ever be accused of. Their production is bland and boring. But I suppose different people rate the entertainment value of a sports program differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm actually against the sky deal but yeah, clearly he's moving the goalposts now.

Undecided
    These matches would always have been on tv regardless of who had the rights.

What have Sky really brought to the table apart from subscription fees. Their coverage is atrocious. The sound quality in studio is muck, as is the presenting style. James Horan is the only half decent football analyst they have. If I have to see Canavan point the same three arrows into space and draw another box while speaking almost illedgibly I'll put my boot through the tv.
    For the biggest broadcaster in this corner of the world the product they provide is pi$$ poor

So you cant read either Realt dearg. Read my actual comment quoted above. If you can't get your head around a basic comment like that you really shouldn'tbe on a discussion board.

• Advertisement

So you cant read either Realt dearg. Read my actual comment quoted above. If you can't get your head around a basic comment like that you really shouldn'tbe on a discussion board.

Yeah they're real bastions of intellectual rigour. I'll go hide, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No

Did you ever think, for all your snide comments on peoples' reading ability, that your writing ability might not be all you think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I actually agree with both of you. Neither of the two productions are perfect. RTE....clueless commentators, who should have retired years ago, Brolly shouting over everyone else, Spillane & his cliches & refusing to see anything but thru a Kerry prism, too many boring old farts who haven't touched a ball or a hurl in 20 years having a say. But with the introduction of Eddie Brennan, Eamonn O'Hara and Dessie Dolan, they have showed to be willing to freshen things up a bit.

Sky....that stupid interactive telly is just a gimmick, Senan O'Connell has never had an original thought in his life, Rachel Wyse has all the personality of a potted plant, Horan & O'Se are decent enough, but are far too cute to ever say anything that would damage them in Kerry/Mayo. McIntrye is excellent, but Early and that other fella is like listening to paint dry.

But all in all, I'd still take RTE over SKY. At least there is a bit of personality there...a bit of spark and energy and the possibility of a bit of divilment and craic. The way that the hosts and pundits bounce off each other can be entertaining. That's something SKY won't ever be accused of. Their production is bland and boring. But I suppose different people rate the entertainment value of a sports program differently.

You're a hard man to please. I'd say you'd be better off watching with the sound turned down and going away for a cup of tea at half time. And obviously not bothering with any pre game build up or post game analysis.

On the subject of how many are watching. The GAA slot probably replaced darts from Germany or a re-run of a Rugby League game from Australia, with only a handful of viewers. Sky does not rely on big audience share to make it's money. But from the GAA point of view they will at least get some new viewers which wouldn't be the case if all their games were only on RTE.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd say the main reason Sky bought the GAA rights is because its a good summertime filler while the Premier League is in hibernation and it might also stop some Irish customers cancelling their subscription over the summer months.

I'd agree with ProudDub about Rachel Wyse, to me she comes across a bit insincere and I've noticed her looking bored while Brian Carney and Canavan are messing with that big screen.

Undecided
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Did you ever think, for all your snide comments on peoples' reading ability, that your writing ability might not be all you think it is?

Could say the same about yours. If people are going to attribute remarks to you that you never said just to re enforce their point then they should expect to be called out on it. To actually say it a second time without going back and re-reading is just stupid.

Undecided
    You're a hard man to please. I'd say you'd be better off watching with the sound turned down and going away for a cup of tea at half time. And obviously not bothering with any pre game build up or post game analysis.

On the subject of how many are watching. The GAA slot probably replaced darts from Germany or a re-run of a Rugby League game from Australia, with only a handful of viewers. Sky does not rely on big audience share to make it's money. But from the GAA point of view they will at least get some new viewers which wouldn't be the case if all their games were only on RTE.

Wasn't the point of the deal to sell the game abroad or so they said.

Could say the same about yours. If people are going to attribute remarks to you that you never said just to re enforce their point then they should expect to be called out on it. To actually say it a second time without going back and re-reading is just stupid.

We can only go on what you wrote. Now, you might have a problem with my reading ability, but I'll be honest with you, I'm confident enough that mine is better than yours. And we all know what you wrote. If you want to pretend you're not backtracking now, that's grand, but it's you who'll end up looking a bit...I dunno, my writing skills aren't the best...

Undecided
    We can only go on what you wrote. Now, you might have a problem with my reading ability, but I'll be honest with you, I'm confident enough that mine is better than yours. And we all know what you wrote. If you want to pretend you're not backtracking now, that's grand, but it's you who'll end up looking a bit...I dunno, my writing skills aren't the best...

Once was careless, twice was stupid, third time you look like a dunce. If you can't comprehend basic english there's nothing else worth discussing.

These matches would always have been on tv regardless of who had the rights.

Either you have an incredibly careful use of the conditional tense, combined with a clairvoyant understanding of the intentions of the GAA and all its potential media partners, or you're backtracking.

Or I'm a dunce, and so is everyone else who read what you wrote. Which might be true. But I'm a fan of Occam's razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Is it actually a Sky thing that they miss all the kick-outs or puc-outs, or is it the same group who do the camerawork regardless ?

• Advertisement

Is it actually a Sky thing that they miss all the kick-outs or puc-outs, or is it the sane group who do the camerawork regardless ?

They're pretty terrible for it, RTE do it occasionally but they're obsessed with random eejits in the crowd on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They're pretty terrible for it, RTE do it occasionally but they're obsessed with random eejits in the crowd on sky.

They even missed Colm O'Neills goal yesterday - sure it was only a close-in free for a team needing a goal, nothing to see here !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Undecided
    Thats all genuinely interesting, but I'm not sure what relevance it has in the context of a claim that the games on Sky last night were games that were always shown on TV, when in actual fact only one of the four R4 qualifiers were shown under the previous deal. FWIW I'd actually blame RTE/TV3 for signing up for those previous packages that neglected knockout qualifiers and concentrated on anaemic provincial quarter/semifinals. The Sky deal is far better in that sense, whether it was Sky savvyness or acknowledgement by the GAA that they'd got it wrong is something we'll never know.

It was the GAA themselves that reduced the number of games to be shown live from 50 shown in 2010 to 40 from 2011 to 2013. This effectively reduced the R4 qualifiers down to 1 game.

For your information in 2010, 3 of the 4 Round 4 qualifiers were shown live on free to air television and all on the one day a Saturday, 24 July 2010.

Tv3 had first call and chose the Dublin v Louth (Croke Park) game whilst RTE showed Limerick vs Cork from Gaelic Grounds and then Monaghan vs Kildare (Croke Park).
    Is it actually a Sky thing that they miss all the kick-outs or puc-outs, or is it the same group who do the camerawork regardless ?

It is not the same OB group.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No

I think it's fairly clear at this point that this is a you problem champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm actually quite easy to please. Just give me your bog standard, mildly competent, vaguely knowledgeable commentator & I'm happy as Larry. Call me crazy, but their being able to get the players names right the odd time, is an added bonus. Step forward Daragh Maloney, Dave McIntyre & Kevin McStay.

Unfortunately, Brian Carty, Marty Morrisey, Ger Canning and Mr Martin "It must be said, there was nothing malicious in it at all, mind you I have NO effing clue what it actually was, but I'm sure there was no malice in it...it must be said" Carney, rarely fit that bill. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    STB. wrote: »
    It was the GAA themselves that reduced the number of games to be shown live from 50 shown in 2010 to 40 from 2011 to 2013. This effectively reduced the R4 qualifiers down to 1 game.

For your information in 2010, 3 of the 4 Round 4 qualifiers were shown live on free to air television and all on the one day a Saturday, 24 July 2010.
    <snip>
    the question is whether there was an attitude to have the games available widely reduced from 40 to 30 or so regardless of Sky coming on board or not.

The idea that kicking out sky would bring the games back to 40 or 44 is VERY presumptious.
    Theres dozens of league and championship club games in every county happening on a Saturday and having RTE/ TV3 showing hours of interesting games detracts seriously from attendances/ interest in those local competitions.
    I know my dad would skip a game if theres an interesting game on RTE on a Saturday, and he has a season ticket for the club that allows him in for free. If a game is on sky he needs to leave home anyhow so would just as easy go to the park to watch the local team as to a pub to watch a qualifier. That's one person but scale that up across the country and you have a very big effect to the detriment of club game attendance.

There has been comments from various senior GAA heads over the past number of years that led to the first reduction from 50-->40 and I have the sneaking suspicion that the lack of opposition to the sky deal from county boards is because they see the limiting of free games on TV as being good for them and their clubs, but they arent very vocal in making a pro-sky case and there was only positive comments at the last GAA congress about the deal despite some rumblings beforehand.

No

No
    as was reported in the media, theres a motion on the agenda for GAA congress as follows which seeks to ban pay tv coverage of championship games.
    That a new Rule 1.18 – Broadcast Rights - Official Guide Part 1 be introduced:
    That Congress 2016 enacts a New Rule [1.18]:
    "Broadcast Rights
    All televised Inter-County Championship games shall be available on free to air T.V."
    Rules affected/possibly affected: Rules 3.30, 3.36(f), 3.43, 3.46, Part 1, (Treoraí Oifigiúil 2015).
    Effective from 1/ 1/2017.
    Naomh Seosamh Buachailli Uí Chonaill, Áth Cliath
    http://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-congress-2016-motions-124598/
    and heres the rule book to see where the rule change fits in
    http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/TheGAA/RulesandRegulations/12/19/54/2015OfficialGuide-Part1_English.pdf

if it is a new rule it needs only 50% support, if its changing an existing rule it needs 2/3s support. It looks like its potentially changing an existing rule so will need a lot of support.

I cant see it pass as every comment on the subject from provincial and top gaa heads is that theres arguably already too much GAA on TV, so the idea of increasing the amount of free to air coverage on Saturday evenings when theres club games on probably wont have too many speakers for the proposal i wouldnt think.

No
    the latest is that it is thought that the motion will not get 50% let alone 67% needed.
    Some southern counties are coming out in favour of the motion, but northern counties (who BTW can universally receive sky sports but NOT the 26 counties Tv3 channel, so the sky sports deal increases their coverage) are against the restriction.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/freetoair-motion-looks-likely-to-fail-congress-test-34487399.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    I hope the motion gets passed,SKY have pretty much failed in everything they had hoped to do.

As Paul Rouse has stated about viewing figures "The facts are clear: more people watched Judge Judy on TV3 on a Thursday afternoon than a premium hurling match between Clare and Cork in the All Ireland Championship.

More people watched Oireachtas Report after in mindinght in June than the Cork/Clare match."

SKY & TV3 had similar bids last time around and it was the big viewer ship that swung it for SKY,Next time around TV3 & UTV will have stronger hands to play

Advertisement