Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delonghi Bean to Cup coffee machine £199

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

okedoke wrote: »
    The kind of coffee you'll get for €24 a kg (or more) - top quality beans, freshly roasted, is not comparable to the stuff you get from discount coffee. The Bailies starter pack is great value though - try it compared to the discount coffee beans.

Ive had subs with Bailies and others and find the sumatra mendheling beans from discount coffee better than anything ive got elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Discount coffee is not freshly roasted, bailies is. That alone means bailies will produce a far superior coffee. Coffee goes stale quickly after roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Glebee

okedoke wrote: »
    Discount coffee is not freshly roasted, bailies is. That alone means bailies will produce a far superior coffee. Coffee goes stale quickly after roasting.

Any idea how long after roasting before it's shipped????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Glebee wrote: »
    Any idea how long after roasting before it's shipped????

Batch I received in the post today were roasted on the 12th

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Batch I received in the post today were roasted on the 12th

Surely that fresh coffee

• Advertisement

Surely that fresh coffee

Ballies was the 12/6 (tried it this morning - very nice)

DiscountCoffee beans arrived today (quick delivery - ordered yesterday) - haven't tried it yet
    Packet says roasted on 27/5

Apologies for bringing up old(ish) thread, but is anybody having problems with the frother??

Used to work fine, now more often than not - the frother just screeches and doesn't froth.
    Have cleaned as much as I can ... Delonghi have said to drop the wand further but it's practically touching the bottom of jug.

I use a 330ml jug approx half full and milk is cold.

May have to courier (at my own expense) to repair centre in Dublin. They are not familiar with the model (as it is only on sale in Italy/Eastern Europe) so could not advise me over the phone.

I think I have the same problem. At the start it was very easy to steam the milk ( just put the wand in, keep it in the same postion and all was good. Milk came out lovely and thick.) but after a while the milk just came out thin and flat. What I do now is start out and the wand at very bottom of the jug and slowly drop the jug so that the wand gets to all levels of the milk. Seems to be working ok by doing it this way. But I was really pissed of with it for a while after it working so good at the start. Have to say though the coffe is great out of it...

I think I have the same problem. At the start it was very easy to steam the milk ( just put the wand in, keep it in the same postion and all was good. Milk came out lovely and thick.) but after a while the milk just came out thin and flat. What I do now is start out and the wand at very bottom of the jug and slowly drop the jug so that the wand gets to all levels of the milk. Seems to be working ok by doing it this way. But I was really pissed of with it for a while after it working so good at the start. Have to say though the coffe is great out of it...

Thanks for the reply Glebee ... Are you still getting the screeching/screaming?

I used to just plonk in the middle just below the surface and not have to move it. Then I had to drop it more (as good as touching the bottom) to get it to stop screeching to get a froth.

Yeah coffee is great ... frothing very frustrating!!

Parcel Motel max weight is 10kg, so not an option .. will cost a bit to send it to Dublin.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Glebee ... Are you still getting the screeching/screaming?

I used to just plonk in the middle just below the surface and not have to move it. Then I had to drop it more (as good as touching the bottom) to get it to stop screeching to get a froth.

Yeah coffee is great ... frothing very frustrating!!

Parcel Motel max weight is 10kg, so not an option .. will cost a bit to send it to Dublin.

I start off touching the bottom and slowly move the wand up through the milk. This got rid of the screeching. It's steaming the milk perfect every time when I do it this way. It was doing my head in but this method seems to work.

Don't know what the issue is because the wand is producing steam fine.

If it keeps going ok with this new method I would not send back. Give it a try a see what you think.

• Advertisement

I start off touching the bottom and slowly move the wand up through the milk. This got rid of the screeching. It's steaming the milk perfect every time when I do it this way. It was doing my head in but this method seems to work.

Don't know what the issue is because the wand is producing steam fine.

If it keeps going ok with this new method I would not send back. Give it a try a see what you think.

Yeah headwrecker alright ... mornings are tough enough without frother issues!!

Jug is not the biggest 330ml/12oz, and have tried putting more milk (than I need) but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Will give your method a go.

Some days better than others with frothing. Delonghi are picking it up - but reckon it's down to limescale. I have run the descaler when recommended.
    Will send back for an internal clean.

Maybe no harm to put water through a Brita jug before filling machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

wonder if there any modifications out there to connect the water tank permanently to the mains - maybe even through one of those drinking tap water filters you can get for 20 quid on amazon?

I hate filling that thing up :) always empty when I go to use it or I get half a cup really strong coffee if I forget check it.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Annnnd some quick research later -

Wondering if this would fit ours?

Float valve: 3 pounds
    Estone 1/4" Float Valve For ... Tanks Food Machinery Drinker
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHO9PSA

Mains Water Filter (15 pounds):
    System 26 Undersink Drinking Water Filter System Under Sink
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0010NDWHO

Both would require parcel motel to get to Ireland.

Demo of someone who did a similiar system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2GWrWe8rQ

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the compact one I got (the ECAM22.320.SB, all buttons no knobs:)), was down to 300 sterling a couple of weeks back.

81WK3cN7nHL._SY550_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083VUN2S/

3 years later and I'm around 15,000 shots into mine now and it's still going strong, very happy with it even at the 500 odd i paid at the time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

vibe666 wrote: »
    the compact one I got (the ECAM22.320.SB, all buttons no knobs:)), was down to 300 sterling a couple of weeks back.

81WK3cN7nHL._SY550_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083VUN2S/

3 years later and I'm around 15,000 shots into mine now and it's still going strong, very happy with it even at the 500 odd i paid at the time. :)
    Agreed. Fantastic machine. Price watch if not in a hurry.

Well worth keeping an eye on. I got mine back in mid 2014 for 240 euro and still going strong.

eman66 wrote: »
    Agreed. Fantastic machine. Price watch if not in a hurry.

on a not unrelated subject, i think i have a coffee problem. 8 shots when i wake up, 4 more as soon as i get to work, then another 4 before 10am, and usually a coke in the afternoon to mellow out the comedown a bit. :)

i can quit any time i like though. do you think it's safe to take coffee intravenously? :D

my other option is grinding the beans in my mouth and sipping hot water to filter it directly, but i'm worried it would stain my teeth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Had a problem with my machine just a few days ago, seems like a very hard bean or some foreign object caused a problem to the grinder. I took it apart and found that the large cog wheel on the grinder had jumped out of position. I put it back but may have reassembled it incorrectly as it is no longer grinding finely, the grounds are very rough and the coffee is weak as a result. Have also got an older model of the same machine up in the attic, must get it down and see if I can swap over the grinders.

Anyone else have similar problems?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »

about a week ago i had almost that problem, with a bean jamming the grinder, but it was for a split second and it fixed itself and hasn't caused any issues since, hopefully it didn't cause any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I had a different problem with a Seaco machine, it was leaking coffee grounds into and around the machine but I couldn't find anyone to repair it so I had to bite the bullet and try myself. It's not simple, these units are quite complicated inside but I can only suggest you serch for maunals and videos for your machine and see if you can get some guidance on how to reassemble the grinder - that's all I could do

• Registered Users Posts: 65,111 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Do-more wrote: »

I've had a very hard bit of bean (or something else) block the grinder 3 times so far. I had to completely empty the machine and poke at the grinder so the bit fell out eventually. For the machine to work again as normal.

Seems you were unlucky the cog broke out of position :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wow I have never had that problem in 2 years of use thankfully - might be the beans you are using? Or else I am just lucky! :o

Wow I have never had that problem in 2 years of use thankfully - might be the beans you are using? Or else I am just lucky! :o
    I made it to almost 15,000 shots before it happened to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Hi
    Thinking of getting a Delonghi coffee machine.
    ESAM4200 S is stg £229 in Amazon
    ECAMD22.320.SB is stg£349.
    Which is the better machine ?

Bith these machines come highly recommended here - or has some1 else got a better suggestion - Budget £300 - £350.

Which makes the best Cappachino?

I will use SUMATRA Coffee beans as they seem well recommended on this board - unless some1 else has other suggestions.

Hi
    ESAM4200 S is stg £229 in Amazon
    ECAMD22.320.SB is stg£349.

Bith these machines come highly recommended here - or has some1 else got a better suggestion - Budget £300 - £350.

I will use SUMATRA Coffee beans as they seem well recommended on this board - unless some1 else has other suggestions.

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=61111X1383796&site=boards.ie&xs=1&isjs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FDeLonghi-Esam4000-b-Magnifica-Coffee-Machine%2Fdp%2FB0036TDF6I%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ%26tag%3Dcamelalerts-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0036TDF6I&xguid=f686254dd01558d30d9952d26ec420b1&xuuid=c8288342b8786dd722a147a0a49c5552&xsessid=&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2057658311&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D929&xtz=0

Got this machine about 2 years ago, could not live without. Good foam from wand, but usually just make espresso and Americano. Using freshly roasted beans and it gives a great tasing coffee. Can really taste the difference between beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Hi
    ESAM4200 S is stg in Amazon
    ECAMD22.320.SB is stg

Bith these machines come highly recommended here - or has some1 else got a better suggestion - Budget -

I bought the grey 4200 a year ago but a friend has the black 4000 and
    while identical it looks more expensive & less plasticy imho.

Plus it's €40 cheaper atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Got the autentica today and trying to make a cup on preground. Its telling me I need to descale, that shouldn't be needed yet. I'm in Dublin so presuming soft water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I bought the grey 4200 a year ago but a friend has the black 4000 and
    while identical it looks more expensive & less plasticy imho.

Plus it's €40 cheaper atm!
    Is it the Black machine that looks more expensive ?

I would have thought the silver unit would look better.

Advertisement