Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic yet worrying scenes in waterford last night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

lighterman wrote: »
    There is a difference between glassing someone and throwing something which happened to be a bottle

Fine let me correct it

I dont see the difference if they were outside a civilians house, gave them a head injury with a bottle, ran off and one of them died

old hippy wrote: »
    And the rest you've conveniently filtered out.

If I had to write in everything that wasn't worthwhile I'd still be typing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Nino Brown wrote: »
    What's with the daily mail references? I don't get it.

Its a knee jerk, reactionary type who likes to make up their mind based on ridiculous ingrained prejudice instead of waiting for trivial things like "facts" to emerge from a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

This is a broader discussion than the death of this man, there was a Garda attacked, in his own home by a gang of criminals.
    If you don't think I should be in the thread, report it, but as long as I'm here I will continue to discuss my feelings, be they anger, joy, or indifference.

There's much jumping to conclusion in this thread. We don't know he was attacked in his home by anybody,. The racier version of events comes from the Indo, and anyone in AGS (or any of the emergency services for that matter) should have long realised at this stage that the vast majority of what they print is absolute cack. I've read reports on events I've seen with my own eyes and they get it so completely wrong I have to imagine it's done on purpose. In their version it was a deliberate targeting of the house followed by a slashing/stabbing of the victim. Anyone who takes that at face value is welcome to bid on a bridge I have for sale.
    The other version (breakingnews) is that there was glass broken outside the victim's house, followed by an altercation when he confronted the glass-breakers. In that version it was not a deliberate targeting, "just" anti-social behaviour. And yes, that sort of behaviour deserves punishment.
    If the indo version is true I would have little sympathy, but if the less sensational version is closer to the truth then it is indeed a tragic result. Karma would be better employed elsewhere.

drumswan wrote: »
    Its a knee jerk, reactionary type who likes to make up their mind based on ridiculous ingrained prejudice instead of waiting for trivial things like "facts" to emerge from a story.

FACTS
    1. A group of young men arrive outside a house in the early hours of the morning
    2. They cause a disturbance and the occupant of the house approaches them
    3. This person receives injuries from a bottle to the back of the head
    4. The group splits and runs. One member ends up dead.

Can we agree on these?

• Advertisement

There's much jumping to conclusion in this thread. We don't know he was attacked in his home by anybody,. The racier version of events comes from the Indo, and anyone in AGS (or any of the emergency services for that matter) should have long realised at this stage that the vast majority of what they print is absolute cack. I've read reports on events I've seen with my own eyes and they get it so completely wrong I have to imagine it's done on purpose. In their version it was a deliberate targeting of the house followed by a slashing/stabbing of the victim. Anyone who takes that at face value is welcome to bid on a bridge I have for sale.
    The other version (breakingnews) is that there was glass broken outside the victim's house, followed by an altercation when he confronted the glass-breakers. In that version it was not a deliberate targeting, "just" anti-social behaviour. And yes, that sort of behaviour deserves punishment.
    If the indo version is true I would have little sympathy, but if the less sensational version is closer to the truth then it is indeed a tragic result. Karma would be better employed elsewhere.
    Finally some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Octavianus

TheDoctor wrote: »
    FACTS
    1. A group of young men arrive outside a house in the early hours of the morning
    2. They cause a disturbance and the occupant of the house approaches them
    3. This person receives injuries from a bottle to the back of the head
    4. The group splits and runs. One member ends up dead.

Can we agree on these?

No, we don't know any of these to be facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I am prejudiced, I admit it, I'm prone to immediately labeling people who throw bottles at peoples houses and heads as scumbags, I should see a therapist to overcome my common sense prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

What's with the daily mail references? I don't get it.
    It's a simple, childish Ad-hominem attack. Ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

I am prejudiced, I admit it, I'm prone to immediately labeling people who throw bottles at peoples houses and heads as scumbags, I should see a therapist to overcome my common sense prejudice.

Throw bottles at peoples houses or throw bottles outside peoples houses

Only two years, he'll be out in 18 months with "good behaviour"

What a joke. Should be at least 10 years.

What in my facts can we not take as truth?

lighterman wrote: »
    Throw bottles at peoples houses or throw bottles outside peoples houses

Outside peoples houses is at least antisocial, but most likely to be done by scumbags.
    To throw a bottle at somebodies head could easily kill them, and has in fact killed many people, and only a scumbag would do it,

Octavianus wrote: »
    No, we don't know any of these to be facts.
    Outside peoples house's is at least antisocial, but most likely to be done by scumbags.
    To throw a bottle at somebodies head could easily kill them, and has in fact killed many people, and only a scumbag would do it,

Agreed forget the house. Aiming a bottle at someones head is only done to seriously hurt someone.

What in my facts can we not take as truth?

All of it. As someone else has already pointed out, there are some very different versions of the story.

Which one are you deciding is fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Outside peoples houses is at least antisocial, but most likely to be done by scumbags.

I've no idea what your on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Reading the way the actual death is being reported at the moment (late afternoon on the Friday), I am getting a vague feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. There is a hint that the guard tried to restrain one of the group... and one of the group was then found unconscious at a spot later. The key initial question for GSOC is did the guard give chase at all...

So you dont know the facts then? Its 'most likely' to be done by scumbags now. Is there a broken bottle rulebook which says when you cross the line into scumbagness when dicking around with bottles? Perhaps the Daily Mail published one as a pull out supplement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

old hippy wrote: »
    A young guy died, a life lost that could have been rewarding and productive. Haven't we all done things in our youth that could be considered anti-social?

I took a packet of Chocolate Goldgrain one day that the Ma had been keeping for the Aunt's visit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Reading the way the actual death is being reported at the moment (late afternoon on the Friday), I am getting a vague feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. There is a hint that the guard tried to restrain one of the group... and one of the group was then found unconscious at a spot later. The key initial question for GSOC is did the guard give chase at all...

I heard that he did this while trying to contact Paraic Nally by phone.

Octavianus wrote: »
    All of it. As someone else has already pointed out, there are some very different versions of the story.

Which one are you deciding is fact?

So are we concluding that no group went to the house
    The occupant of the house didnt approach them
    He wasnt hit with a bottle
    The group didnt split and no one died?

Reading the way the actual death is being reported at the moment (late afternoon on the Friday), I am getting a vague feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye.
    You are not the only one. Well you are almost the only one.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I took a packet of Chocolate Goldgrain one day that the Ma had been keeping for the Aunt's visit.

Dude you can't say that, you have to say

"SWIM took a packet of Chocolate Goldgrain one day that the Ma had been keeping for the Aunt's visit"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

And there we have the other end of the jumping to conclusion spectrum...

The exact same thing happened at my gaf last night, strange that it's not all over the papers.

Are you really just here to argue or to actually talk about the topic?

You said in a previous post that you had patience, but you are determined to jump to conclusions and refuse to wait until you hear any actual facts.

So you dont know the facts then? Its 'most likely' to be done by scumbags now. Is there a broken bottle rulebook which says when you cross the line into scumbagness when dicking around with bottles? Perhaps the Daily Mail published one as a pull out supplement?

That was a generalization, if people are throwing bottles at/around house (even just throwing bottles in general) they are most likely scumbags, I don't think that's an unreasonable generalization, but I also don't have any facts to support it. Do you have any facts to the contrary?
    Your daily mail jokes didn't land the first thee times, but I admire your tenacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Then its good that there's one less scrote out on the street for me to worry about so isn't it?

Can you please stop calling the dead youth a 'scrote', a 'scumbag'...etc.
    You merely undermine your own arguments by resorting to callous and simplistic labeling in this fashion.
    Isn't it obvious that you can better and more convincingly oppose thuggish behavior without resorting to it yourself linguistically?
    These young men were out of order. No one deserved to die. The world is complex.

• Advertisement

That was a generalization, if people are throwing bottles at/around house (even just throwing bottles in general) they are most likely scumbags, I don't think that's an unreasonable generalization, but I also don't have any facts to support it. Do you have any facts to the contrary?

So you admit you don't know the facts yet you still have no sympathy for his death based solely on a generalisation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement