Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you want/not want to get married?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

But that was not my point. The point was that whichever it is - 1 or 2 - the answer you give on the right of the "-" does not follow automatically from what is on the left of it. So in this regard you have _also_ not actually answered the question.

it does. it seems that you just dont accept it as an answer. thats a different issue.

folan wrote: »
    it does. it seems that you just dont accept it as an answer. thats a different issue.

As I pointed out - given your answer could be an answer to either side of the OPs "or" question you have answered nothing. But you convieniently edited that bit out of your quote of my post.

But again - just because marriage follows from love (or not) _for you_ in no way says that marriage follows from love (or not). You have simply restated the question rather than answering it.

Many - many many - people are every bit "in love" as you are - and many of them choose marriage - and many do not. So the answer simply does not follow from the question. Nothing to do with whether I personally accept the answer or not.

As I pointed out - given your answer could be an answer to either side of the OPs "or" question you have answered nothing.
    Is my answer invalid because it can be used as either a positive of negative assertion?
    But again - just because marriage follows from love (or not) _for you_ in no way says that marriage follows from love (or not). You have simply restated the question rather than answering it.
    so my it my personification of the answer is invalid?
    Why do you want/not want to get married? I want/do not want to get married for X reason?
    Many - many many - people are every bit "in love" as you are - and many of them choose marriage - and many do not.
    good on them. I don't care what their reasons are though, I care about mine.
    But you conveniently edited that bit out of your quote of my post.
    yes, boards.ie post editing system makes it very easy to edit replies when you want to. Very convenient.

ill leave you to it, as you seem to be unhappy that im in love.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - keep it civil lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd say I did it for the usual reasons guys I know get married: she wanted to, guardianship rights, tax credits (being a single-income co-habiting family was costing us about €3,500pa as only married couples can get joint assessment), inheritance issues will be easier in the (hopefully distant) future and, while I don't see any material difference between the two states, married or not, I'm committed to her.

I think Sleepy nailed it.

Only reasons for any man to get married are guaranteed guardianship of any potential kids, tax benefits and simplified inheritance.

Not to go too far off topic here .. but the elephant in the room is the unfair sexist decisions that come out of Irish Family law (and occasionally normal law) courts.

Any man with a 'few bob', would be wise to have a long detailed chat with his accountant/solicitor before embarking on a co-habiting scenario (Marriage or casual, kids or no kids) with a woman .... cause if it falls apart the law takes a very one-eyed view of things. Man = bad, Woman = good.

Don't say you weren't warned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Standman wrote: »
    It seems to me now that most people get married because it's the next box to tick on their life-checklist.

'Degree --> Career --> Marriage --> Kids', seems to be the standard issue blueprint.
    Oh yep. Hell I've seen it so often with so many I can write the script at this stage. One woman I knew a few years ago fitted the profile well. Early 30's, went from long termer to long termer, mostly with success until the honeymoon period passed. Didn't want kids, or marriage etc. She had ticked off the degree box, but career was shaky as was setting down roots. At this stage relationships were as per her 20's, but I could see what was coming and sure enough... She finally got stable in her career, settled in one place and I predicted the next thing would be "the One(tm)" and sure enough it was and all happened within months. Followed by other changes including the easing off of friendships(an all too common one) that didn't fit the new template as she prepared for suburbia and marriage and kids.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Wibbs wrote: »
    ....A game of relationship musical chairs and when the music stops whoever's hand you're holding is the wife/husband...

Good observation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 save_me_some

would love to get married but not only is the law completely biased against men in the event of a break up , women have been conditioned into believing that they have every right to clean their husband of his hard earned assets

im not prepared to risk losing what i have accumulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Yeah I'd like to get married at some point down the line, 30+.

It's just something I want to do with someone.

I find it quite condescending that some people question you as to why you'd want to get married and how you shouldn't need to, it's a sham, etc.

That's fine for you, each to their own.

• Advertisement

would love to get married but not only is the law completely biased against men in the event of a break up , women have been conditioned into believing that they have every right to clean their husband of his hard earned assets

im not prepared to risk losing what i have accumulated

I'm wondering how the eventual legalisation of same-sex marriage will affect the bias in the laws. Surely marriage as a whole will have to be addressed and equalised too. I'm sure two men, or two women who want to divorce would force complete neutrality on the settlement which would (should) apply to heterosexual marriages too, when it is more biased against men currently, I'd agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 save_me_some

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the eventual legalisation of same-sex marriage will affect the bias in the laws. Surely marriage as a whole will have to be addressed and equalised too. I'm sure two men, or two women who want to divorce would force complete neutrality on the settlement which would (should) apply to heterosexual marriages too, when it is more biased against men currently, I'd agree.

marriage equality might do a lot of good for men in traditional marriages , gay men will not be allowed to be shown the same bias as they are liberal sacred cows , this in turn will help shed light on the plight of seperated straight men who are of course seen as fair game for fleecing

marriage equality might do a lot of good for men in traditional marriages , gay men will not be allowed to be shown the same bias as they are liberal sacred cows , this in turn will help shed light on the plight of seperated straight men who are of course seen as fair game for fleecing

You're welcome :p

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the eventual legalisation of same-sex marriage will affect the bias in the laws.
    I believe if you look across the water to the states for example you can see examples of how the non-biological parent in for example lesbian marriages are at times marginalised.

Seems to be a somewhat universal rule that (biological)mother trumps all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Yes ...because I want to be in love with the love of my life.

And I know then I will want to marry that person.

I want to experience that level of commitment from that perspective.

I am in the beginnings of a relationship right now.

I respect people who don't want to. I don't look at those who are partnered as being in less of a relationship or anything or single guys as being less fulfilled or more lonely.

I just have a very definite idea of what I want in life I always have done.

I am certain I want to. I have an acute sense of the emotional bonds I want in the future and marriage is a part of that.

I want to marry my woman. I want to experience being a husband.

Is my answer invalid because it can be used as either a positive of negative assertion?

I think one of the reasons it was made invalid is that it was not clear which direction you were answering in. Your answer could equally be applied in both directions, as to why you want to - or do not want to - get married.

But the main point I was making is that it was made invalid by the inherent assumption built in it that whatever answer you were giving automatically follows from the question. It does not - except to you.

Where this might cause irritation or confusion in others is that it implies that anyone giving the opposite answer to you - and as I said which answer you are giving was not even clear - is somehow NOT in love - or is less so than you.

Perhaps you have no intention to make such an implication. The fact is it is hanging there over the post all the same - awaiting some clarification from you - and my goal was merely to point this out. If clarification is not something you wish to offer on this point - then I am not intending to attempt to compel you to do so.
    ill leave you to it, as you seem to be unhappy that im in love.

I have to admit I have seen no one on this thread express any such position. Much less myself. Perhaps you can highlight the post in question to me so I can correct my oversight?

Knex. wrote: »
    TaxAH, without wanting to drag thread off topic, your situation fascinates me. I say that as someone who as no strong opinion either for nor against, just scenarios such as yours, open relationships (very different, I know), and monogamy are often things I dwell on.

Sorry i did not actually see this post until just now - completely by accident. I was not ignoring you - or it!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

Bafucin wrote: »
    Yes ...because I want to be in love with the love of my life.

And I know then I will want to marry that person.

I want to experience that level of commitment from that perspective.

I am in the beginnings of a relationship right now.

I respect people who don't want to. I don't look at those who are partnered as being in less of a relationship or anything or single guys as being less fulfilled or more lonely.

I just have a very definite idea of what I want in life I always have done.

I am certain I want to. I have an acute sense of the emotional bonds I want in the future and marriage is a part of that.

I want to marry my woman. I want to experience being a husband.

all what I can read from your post is:

''I''

''me''

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

cluelez wrote: »
    all what I can read from your post is:

''I''

''me''

?

But those are his needs.

I have needs you have them.

I don't justify my needs.

There is a lot of I.

But there are other words too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think one of the reasons it was made invalid is that it was not clear which direction you were answering in. Your answer could equally be applied in both directions, as to why you want to - or do not want to - get married.

Mod note - It was perfectly obvious which way he was answering now stop arguing for the sake of it.

cluelez - your post adds nothing to the discussion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The courts are showing equality already when it comes to divorce proceedings.

Stay at home father's child maintenance doubled

The fact is that traditionally the wife was usually the stay at home parent but this is changing and the courts are becoming cognisant of this.

The courts are showing equality already when it comes to divorce proceedings.

Stay at home father's child maintenance doubled

The fact is that traditionally the wife was usually the stay at home parent but this is changing and the courts are becoming cognisant of this.

There is no link in your post. Is this the one you are talking about?
    http://www.amen.ie/Papers/30012014_irishtimes.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is no link in your post. Is this the one you are talking about?
    http://www.amen.ie/Papers/30012014_irishtimes.htm

Apologies, I messed up the link. That's the story.

There is alot of info here but it is interesting reading for those who want to educate themselves on family law rulings
    http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/%28WebFiles%29/7F123DB171E31618802576AA003876FA/$FILE/Family%20Law%20Matters%20-%20Vol%203%20No%202.pdf

Advertisement