Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why'd they recast The Mountain again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Deco99 wrote: »
    Was there any explanation why
    The mountain is dicing up prisoners at random when cersei meets him?
    is this in the books or just thrown in for the gore? seemed odd to me that this would be allowed in kings landing

I think The Mountain just does what he likes. I didn't find the scene out of place at all considering his reputation.

The "actor". Now, he was out of place. He even delivered the few words he had to poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think The Mountain just does what he likes. I didn't find the scene out of place at all considering his reputation.

The "actor". Now, he was out of place. He even delivered the few words he had to poorly.

I agree that he does what he likes but id be curious if this was in the book and whether a more in depth explanation was given

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I agree that he does what he likes but id be curious if this was in the book and whether a more in depth explanation was given

In the books we get much more of the mountain than in the show. Therefore we get a firsthand account of how sadistic he actually is. The show couldn't afford the luxury of showing him during season 2 or 3 because a) he didn't have an actor to play him and b) he wasn't relevant to the story. Now that he's back in the story they have to remind people what a lunatic he is before the trial by combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I miss the original Mountain, beheading the horse. That was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This guy is ideal as The Mountain, I've seen him in Worlds Strongest Man and he really is that big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

This guy is ideal as The Mountain, I've seen him in Worlds Strongest Man and he really is that big.

He didn't speak much but i don't think he is great at acting other than being huge and swinging a huge heavy sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Was there any explanation why
    The mountain is dicing up prisoners at random when cersei meets him?
    is this in the books or just thrown in for the gore? seemed odd to me that this would be allowed in kings landing
    I got the impression that they were prisoners who were being given a "trial by combat" ie practice for the Mountain. It wasn't in the books as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It was nowt more then gore for gores sake to re-introduce the character as a bada$$.

I'm goin to back track a bit here, i said it didnt seem to fit in with kings landing to be slaughtering people out in the open like that but i now remember that it was suggested Bron sorted out the thievery problem when he was kingsguard with a similar approach

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Was it even specified who all those lads Gregor was dicing up were? Slaves? Prisoners? Prisoners who had opted for trial by combat? Rounded up peasants?
    The more I think of that scene the more random it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nothing random about the scene....the scene isn't the problem.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    So who were those sword bait guys then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

so rather then focusing on the story we should obsess about the chosen actor?

so rather then focusing on the story we should obsess about the chosen actor?

That's a bizarre interpretation of what I posted.

That's a bizarre interpretation of what I posted.

Whats the non bizarre interpretation? i got the bizarre one too i'm afraid.

Whats the non bizarre interpretation? i got the bizarre one too i'm afraid.

I never said we should focus on the actor though. I have absolutely no idea where that came from.

My point was that the scene did what it needed to do, it reintroduced The Mountain as a bad ass. The director/writers gave the viewers a bit of credit and didn't outline every aspect of the scene such as where it took place, who the people were, and why it was happening (which would have been complained about by the poster I quoted if it did happen)...if someone failed to piece it together I don't think it's the fault of the show.

I must be thick so, it irked me that he just had a bunch of fellas lined up in front of him to hack at like it was picking weeds

I never said we should focus on the actor though. I have absolutely no idea where that came from.

My point was that the scene did what it needed to do, it reintroduced The Mountain as a bad ass. The director/writers gave the viewers a bit of credit and didn't outline every aspect of the scene such as where it took place, who the people were, and why it was happening (which would have been complained about by the poster I quoted if it did happen)...if someone failed to piece it together I don't think it's the fault of the show.
    OK, white flag. I failed to piece it together. So you can tell me who those guys Gregor was chopping up were now.

I thought it was obvious they were prisoners, especially given the context of the show where people have fled to the city to escape the war, and it is now rampant with crime...throwing a few to The Mountain for 'practice' wouldn't be do any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Jesus, I just assumed they were prisoners being fed to Gregor, as I'm sure most of the audience did. I really couldn't give a crap, it's irrelevant and the scene served its purpose: reintroduce us to this monster.

It also helped with later scenes such as giving context to why even Bronn stepped away from the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

They're going to recast him once more before the end of the season and then every episode in future seasons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I hear Cate Blanchett has been sounded out for the role some time in season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

K4t wrote: »
    They're going to recast him once more before the end of the season and then every episode in future seasons.

How do you know that?

Jaysus lads, we're all in with the chance of a turn at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Obligatory MP reference.

I'm the Mountain and so's my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    OK, white flag. I failed to piece it together. So you can tell me who those guys Gregor was chopping up were now.

I think you should stop watching the show.

It requires something you aren't capable of: independent thought. If you need everything explained and your hand held, the Disney Channel is 611 on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tyrion and Jaime in the cell discuss trial by combat and Tyrion appears to think that's the Crowns champion will be Ser Mryen Tryant.
    Jaime says 'No, Not Ser Mryen' and the scene cuts to Cersei watching Gregor killing people.
    I took those scenes being put together to mean that Gregor was passing the day doing various trials by combat against assorted murderers and general neer do wells.

But as said by others it doesn't really matter as ultimately it was just a device to reintroduce him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It requires something you aren't capable of: independent thought. If you need everything explained and your hand held, the Disney Channel is 611 on Sky.

Don't be an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

for the love of god stick in a smiley face quick or a wink or a grin or something. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lemlin you are perfectly entitled to and capable of disagreeing with a posters views in a constructive manner , you are not allowed to throw around insults!!! Infracted

Advertisement