Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why'd they recast The Mountain again?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 8:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

I guess he's hardly the most noticeable recasting we've had but I still find it odd that they recast The Mountain again - the new chap does look suitably huge but at the same time, he's 20 years younger than his on-screen younger brother Rory McCann, and he's also the shortest of the 3 actors they've had play the role; Conan Stevens was 7'0, Ian Whyte was 7'1 and he's 6'8.

Ian Whyte looked a bit skinny to be the Mountain I suppose, but you'd think he could have bulked up; he did play the engineer in Prometheus.

Anyway...

q2idrDN.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Probably the same reason they recast Daario, other obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I'd say his height doesn't matter, it would appear that he's built like a mountain!! :D

The size of him:eek:

I'd say he would literally cut you open with a thump!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Spoilery thread surely?

Conan Stevens was perfect, had the mean face for it along with the build. I read that it was a scheduling conflict, he was filming the Hobbit. Pity they couldn't make it work, he only had, i think, one scene in season two and didn't even swing a sword.

Pity, the character hasn't really been built up the way he might of otherwise.

This new fella, very young looking, and I've seen one or two still of him as The Mountain and he doesn't look near as frightening or menacing as Stevens did in season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

bur wrote: »
    Conan Stevens was perfect, had the mean face for it along with the build. I read that it was a scheduling conflict, he was filming the Hobbit. Pity they couldn't make it work, he only had, i think, one scene in season two and didn't even swing a sword.

I didn't think Conan was in season two at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Everyone knows The Mountain is a faceless man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Everyone knows The Mountain is a faceless man.

It is known

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

bopper wrote: »
    I didn't think Conan was in season two at all?

He wasn't, what i meant by that was, the mountain only had a few minutes screen time, so surely it wouldn't have been that monumental a task to get Conan back for season two?

Thinking about it some more though, surely they could have got him back for this season if they wanted him? So there's probably something more to their decision to not continue with Conan Stevens than a scheduling conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

holy mother of god, he never seemed so big in the show :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I think that you could imagine that Conan Stevens as the mountain and the hound were related. It was a good pairing.

The new guy is huge and that might be enough to fit the bill. Its not like the character needs to be an intellectual match for Tywin. He's a hammer in armour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

His name is Thor Bjornnson. He's an Icelandic strongman competitor. #3 in the World iirc. Vice did a doc on him/Icelandic strongmen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

stankratz wrote: »
    The size of him:eek:

I'd say he would literally cut you open with a thump!
    He fits the character build a bit better muscle wise.

Just some info about him from the book (Nothing spoilery)

He's near 8 feet tall and weighs 30 stone, all of it muscle.
    Uses a two handed great sword with one hand and his armour is so thick and heavy, no one else could move in it but him.

I always thought Ian Whyte was a bad choice for the mountain, for too skinny, he should have been wearing a muscle suit or something like in Prometheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

duploelabs wrote: »

He means Gregor Clegane from the book not the actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Blay wrote: »
    He means Gregor Clegane from the book not the actor.

Just saw that now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

evil_seed wrote: »
    His name is Thor Bjornnson. He's an Icelandic strongman competitor. #3 in the World iirc. Vice did a doc on him/Icelandic strongmen
    Even the actor's name sounds ass kicking.
    Gotta says though, if The Mountain has any real role to play in GoT then they've made a hash of the build up. I forget he exists most of the time.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Even the actor's name sounds ass kicking.
    Gotta says though, if The Mountain has any real role to play in GoT then they've made a hash of the build up. I forget he exists most of the time.
    The Mountain is a tool, sent by the Lannisters to make life hellish for others.

He's the dark shadow that follows people into alleyways. You don't need to remember that he exists until he shows up and starts hurting people. Then all those times he was mentioned come crashing back...

K_user wrote: »
    The Mountain is a tool, sent by the Lannisters to make life hellish for others.
    Which is why I don't really know why that guy accepts his sister was killed by "The Mountain" and not by "The Lannisters".

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Which is why I don't really know why that guy accepts his sister was killed by "The Mountain" and not by "The Lannisters".

He said to Tyrion to remind Tywin that the Lannisters aren't the only ones that pay their debts. He knows full well where the orders came from, but the acts carried out might not have been fully the Lannisters.

Yes Tywin may have ordered the Mountain to kill his sister, in a time of war. But it was the Mountain that chose to rape and torture her.

Mission #1: kill the Mountain. Mission #2: never let the Lannisters forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Here's all three Mountains

Season 1

conan-stevens_02.jpg

Season 2/3? (was he even in any other scenes aside from this?

Gregor+Clegane+2.jpg

Season 4, the size of the dude, he might be shorter than the other guys but sweet jesus, even the sword is the size of Cersei.

1656326_482345388536741_1716940932_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Even looking at that picture I still don't remember him in season two at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

me neither, was that actually him so?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He didn't feature much in season 2; strolled around Harrenhal looking menacing mostly.

Yeah, as I was saying. If he has any decent sized part to play there should have at least been one or two more scenes with the regulation Joff/Renegade/Wildling "oh look how evil he is" business before he parachutes in to King's Landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

He was only in it for about ten seconds, and I don't think he even had any lines.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ian Whyte has played three different roles in GoT so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

I think the new Mountain is a bad casting job. The Hound is the Mountain's younger brother, so you got an actor in his 40s playing the Hound and his older brother being played by an actor in his 20s.

The original Mountain was perfect in my opinion and actually looked related to the Hound:

Sandor looks like he has Gregor's measure in that scene anyway. Would be awesome to see them fight again, presuming Gregor (or Sandor!) last much longer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I love the way the Hound just bows when Robert says stop even though there's a sword swinging at him. One of my favourite moments in Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Was there any explanation why
    The mountain is dicing up prisoners at random when cersei meets him?
    is this in the books or just thrown in for the gore? seemed odd to me that this would be allowed in kings landing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Mountain looks like you'd shatter your fist if you punched him.

Advertisement