Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sky, Vodafone and Eir will have new marketing campaigns starting after Easter- which will highlight just how uncompetitive the UPC offering really are- and give ammunition to anyone who has the opportunity to switch, at that stage.

The whole lot of them will give you at very least a 6 month half-price switching offer on the spot- if not more- but formal welcome offers will be relaunched imminently.

Hope you're right, have a week of service left after I cancelled. Still not a peep out of Virgin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They all seem to have 18 month contracts.

I'd love to switch from VM. But I don't want to be stuck for 18mnths if it doesn't work out.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just on the phone now. Was coming to end of cancellation timeframe. Probably could have got better, but ringing from work. Was paying 45 per month for 240 mb with all calls. Getting 4 months at 25, 2 at 45, and 6 a 50. Year cost will be 490 instead of 600 for same service and one year contract.

Better than pulling the plug on the internet and looking for a new provider!

Settled for upgrade of Internet from 120 to 240mb + new phone terminal for 40 for six months and 80 for six. Hadn't the patience to fight for more. Handset the only improvement on previous offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My prmised new modem from last months cancellation deal never showed up. I'm just off the phone from Manila now and finally I know what people are talking about when they get through to there. I spoke to four different people and verified my account 4 times, was put on hold at least 10 times and the entire call lasted 42 minutes. An absolute bag of frustration, I'm pretty patient but nearly felt like screaming at the fourth person when they asked to verify my account and to explain my problem all over again.

Anyway modem is supposedly on the way on Saturday. Hopefully my speed increases from the current 20mbps I'm actually getting on the old modem I have now. Its 5 years there since the early UPC days so I'm hoping this new piece of kit gives me some value for the new 240mb connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Muahahaha wrote: »
    My prmised new modem from last months cancellation deal never showed up. I'm just off the phone from Manila now and finally I know what people are talking about when they get through to there. I spoke to four different people and verified my account 4 times, was put on hold at least 10 times and the entire call lasted 42 minutes. An absolute bag of frustration, I'm pretty patient but nearly felt like screaming at the fourth person when they asked to verify my account and to explain my problem all over again.

Anyway modem is supposedly on the way on Saturday. Hopefully my speed increases from the current 20mbps I'm actually getting on the old modem I have now. Its 5 years there since the early UPC days so I'm hoping this new piece of kit gives me some value for the new 240mb connection.

I swear we had the exact same experience. Signed another 12 month contract and requested a new router. That was on the 15th. No sign of it. Rang again last week, talked to 4 different people I 3 different departments. Lost it by the time I talked to the 4th person. Again no sign of the router. Send a DM to their twitter account yesterday and tadaa...new router today.

I've found it the best way to get results is from the twitter account.

Now next problem, they have sent me out a Cisco router and I think it isn't their latest one. Does anybody know which would be their latest or best one currently?

Feel another rant at them brewing....bring it on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I didn't think they were still sending out Cisco units- I thought they were trying to migrate people over to those awful Compal hubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

I didn't think they were still sending out Cisco units- I thought they were trying to migrate people over to those awful Compal hubs?

OK so if they off my a compal hub say no?

Have a Thompson one, wifi signal is very poor upstairs in the house. Of the Cisco one improves it I'll be happy enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Chungwun wrote: »
    OK so if they off my a compal hub say no?

Have a Thompson one, wifi signal is very poor upstairs in the house. Of the Cisco one improves it I'll be happy enough

Buy your own dedicated wifi router and use it in bridge mode with whatever Virgin give you. Some people are happy enough with the stability and strength of signal from the Virgin routers- personally I've yet to come across one that operates consistently throughout the house in the manner a D-Link DIR 966 or similar does. I've just bought a netgear nighthawk on adverts as an upgrade for my D-Link (as Virgin took my original wifi router and haven't returned it).

The Cisco wifi signal is pretty awful if you have masonry walls- the Compal is a bit better- but my unit kept dropping connections which drove me batty.

A dedicated wifi router- with proper external antennas, is the only thing that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

My contract expired last month

Got bill in today to show I have moved from €85->€90PM so gave them a shout on 1904.Spent 45 mins in total on the phone to the philipines

Current package is Horizon Max TV & 240MB broadband

1st offer:
    €15 off for 6 months, full price @€;90 after that

2nd offer:
    €40 off for 4 months, full price @€;90 after that

3rd offer:
    €45 off for 4 months, €5 off for 2 months and full price @€;90 after that

After a bit of a rant about how they were punishing loyal customers etc. he came back with a final offer

4rd offer:
    €42.50 for 6months, €85 PM after that.
    Agreed to that deal and we went through the T&Cs, he then put me on hold for 20 minutes....

When he finally came back he said that there was some problems on their system and he would make a note of my new pricing and have it applied later.

I will call back next week to ensure that it has been applied properly as I am quite suspicious.... The conspiracy theorist in me even wonders if the 20 min on hold was to hope that I would hang up, so they could continue to bill me at full price for another month!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

geecee wrote: »
    My contract expired last month

Got bill in today to show I have moved from €85->€90PM so gave them a shout on 1904.Spent 45 mins in total on the phone to the philipines

Current package is Horizon Max TV & 240MB broadband

1st offer:
    €15 off for 6 months, full price @€;90 after that

2nd offer:
    €40 off for 4 months, full price @€;90 after that

3rd offer:
    €45 off for 4 months, €5 off for 2 months and full price @€;90 after that

After a bit of a rant about how they were punishing loyal customers etc. he came back with a final offer

4rd offer:
    €42.50 for 6months, €85 PM after that.
    Agreed to that deal and we went through the T&Cs, he then put me on hold for 20 minutes....

When he finally came back he said that there was some problems on their system and he would make a note of my new pricing and have it applied later.

I will call back next week to ensure that it has been applied properly as I am quite suspicious.... The conspiracy theorist in me even wonders if the 20 min on hold was to hope that I would hang up, so they could continue to bill me at full price for another month!

Use the live chat thing on their website. I did that to get my offer confirmed in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Received e-mail confirming new contract as per the conversation....

Now all I gotta do is get my dodgy UPC Cisco router sorted (have to restart it at least once per day as it keeps hanging!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭machu

I arranged a new contract today €53.50 for 9 months for horizon max + 240mb and one multi room on a 12 month contract was told I would be sent an email confirming the new agreed price structure but the email I have received is only explaining there terms and conditions and more worrying it specifies any discounted packages would be an 18 month contract there was no mention of that in the phone conversation it was definitely a new 12 month contract.
    Would there recorded conversation i had be enough to confirm i was offered and agreed a new 12 month contract I don't want to be hit with a bill of €107 for 9 months instead of the agreed 3 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭machu

Received e-mail confirming new contract as per the conversation....

Now all I gotta do is get my dodgy UPC Cisco router sorted (have to restart it at least once per day as it keeps hanging!

geecee did the email you received comfirm the new price and 12 month contract you agreed because what I got was just a list of there terms and conditions and no mention of the price and lenght of contract I agreed too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Their decision to move the Call Centre to Manilla is probably one of the worst decisions I can remember from a large ISP.

It's absolutely shocking having to go through that place. The issues I'm having with billing has been nothing short of embarrassing for them since they moved to Virgin. I'm having to call basically each month to rectify what some abhorant fool did with my mobile phone signup, and it's taking an eternity to sort each month.

Also word of caution for anyone signing up with new billing with Virgin(And I've been a UPC customer since they first arrived in the country, dating all the way back through NTL and previous) if you signup to their mobile server, which is advertised as first three months free then €25 a month, if you join before their billing cycle, they hit you with a crazy double bill.

I've had to write in, since their maths just dont make any sense. And I couldn't stomach dealing with their staff via phone trying to discuss legals and contractual details. It was a cluster ****. But it's becoming apparent for most people who took the mobile phone offer on launch, as the three month offer finished lat billing cycle, most people egot hit with double bills, and a ****e explanation from them as to why.

My mobile phone bill(for two of us) was free for three months, then I got a €98 euro bill. And then €54 the next cycle. Hearing a lot of people having the same problems, so worth just clarifying and checking if you take a mobile phone offer with them, as it definitely wasn't something they outlined to me(their mental billing cycle and how the customer gets wrecked from it)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

I got through to Customer Loyalty this morning and was offered 35e/month (6 months) instead of 45e/month with a new 12 month contract. Happy enough with that!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I didn't know they actually offered broadband-only anymore - is that for 240?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Folks another word of warning, I'm still trying to sort out the clusterf**k made of my account by the loyalty team. I've into my 3rd month of a new contract, and still I'm being overcharged (double). They have this billing period to ensure it is all ironed out, before I close the account.

The talk to forum on here, although quick in turnaround time, only point you towards the appropriate team and don't actually do any of the intervention which is a shame.

Anyone signing back up to VM under a loyalty offer, ensure you get it documented. I've got the transcript from a chat with customer care, which states categorically what offer I was given and I signed up and agreed to. This wasn't enough! Unless you've an email or letter with the new deal, you might end up with the same head wrecking trouble I've had on the phone the past 2 months (5 separate calls, over 2+ hours on top of email/chat and posts in the talk to forum - its hardly worth the effort!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ciarsd wrote: »
    Folks another word of warning, I'm still trying to sort out the clusterf**k made of my account by the loyalty team. I've into my 3rd month of a new contract, and still I'm being overcharged (double). They have this billing period to ensure it is all ironed out, before I close the account.

The talk to forum on here, although quick in turnaround time, only point you towards the appropriate team and don't actually do any of the intervention which is a shame.

Anyone signing back up to VM under a loyalty offer, ensure you get it documented. I've got the transcript from a chat with customer care, which states categorically what offer I was given and I signed up and agreed to. This wasn't enough! Unless you've an email or letter with the new deal, you might end up with the same head wrecking trouble I've had on the phone the past 2 months (5 separate calls, over 2+ hours on top of email/chat and posts in the talk to forum - its hardly worth the effort!).

Thats good advice.

After I signed up for the mobile offer, the agent was explicit in stating this extended my contract for my entire suite of products. I then asked for clarification that this included my existing offers(I'm on a half price deal) and it was confirmed as yes.

After my latest billing fiasco, I just queried that to make sure. Appears it was not the case, although they did then outline the offer was extended as per my last phonecall, as it should have been originally.

Feel I'm going to have another problem or fiasco when it comes to a certain time, so I'm looking for that confirmation now in writing. Going through the forum here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TheDoc wrote: »
    Their decision to move the Call Centre to Manilla is probably one of the worst decisions I can remember from a large ISP.
    Ratcheting up everyone's bill just after rebranding is another one. Great way to undo any goodwill they might have got.

Like a lot of people here I've been able to roll back the latest price hike for this year. But left feeling that it was a process of attrition with and that their goal was to only offering short term "discounts" to lock customers into a price increase which will kick in mid year.

They also added on a call package I didn't ask for, so over an hour wasted since the chat team were clueless and I had to ring back in again after the weekend.

So not a happy bunny.

Overall I am much more likely to jump ship to VDSL next time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

How can I check if I'm in contract or not without ringing that call centre?

I sorted my own deal by getting 25 a month for 6 months for broadband and 50 for the rest.

Still need to sort my parents though. I missed the deadline to ring about cancellation so want to chance it now but not sure if they are in contract or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

mossy464 wrote: »
    How can I check if I'm in contract or not without ringing that call centre?

I sorted my own deal by getting 25 a month for 6 months for broadband and 50 for the rest.

Still need to sort my parents though. I missed the deadline to ring about cancellation so want to chance it now but not sure if they are in contract or not.

You could try chat: http://bit.ly/1TIyR2i but I'd ask Brian over in the talk to forum first, as you just have an accounts/admin question.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Is there a loyalty phone number that I can call rather than 1908?

lainycool wrote: »
    Is there a loyalty phone number that I can call rather than 1908?

Not any more. 1908 and option 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No international no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

061 272190 not work anymore?

degsie wrote: »
    061 272190 not work anymore?

No

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

beauf wrote: »
    No international no?
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/ Calling from abroad: 00353 1 2458000

Or use the Virgin phone app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Probably gets you through to Manila.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement