Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Got a half price deal and a bb speed boost to 240mb from 120mb, also got a phone (which I didn't have previously) but my TV package was downgraded to digital basic, which is fine as I never use the TV. She said all my equipment stays the same, do they send out a phone though? Forgot to ask and no way I'm ringing again was talking to the agent in the Philippines or wherever they are for 52 minutes!!!! But its done now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

LG1234 wrote: »
    Got a half price deal and a bb speed boost to 240mb from 120mb, also got a phone (which I didn't have previously) but my TV package was downgraded to digital basic, which is fine as I never use the TV. She said all my equipment stays the same, do they send out a phone though? Forgot to ask and no way I'm ringing again was talking to the agent in the Philippines or wherever they are for 52 minutes!!!! But its done now...

Have to get your own phone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Apologies, looked back quite a few pages, which number do you ring to get chatting about a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

All i keep getting offered is 20% off Sky Sports and 3 months half price Setanta, thats on live chat.

How are you good folk managing to get 6 months half price??? :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have to get your own phone

Not necessarily- they gave me a Siemens Gigaset as220 gratis (mind you- they still have my wifi router somewhere.
    Ask- they may have the phones in stock they're willing to give you.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

degsie wrote: »
    Apologies, looked back quite a few pages, which number do you ring to get chatting about a deal?

there is some 1890 number but go 1908 option 4

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I rang today. Asked for 9 months half price (said others had gotten it - was told not available any more). Offered 4 months. Said others had gotten 6 months recently. Came back and offered that. BB and Phone. Took about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

All i keep getting offered is 20% off Sky Sports and 3 months half price Setanta, thats on live chat.

How are you good folk managing to get 6 months half price??? :(

You need to ring them they give better deals on the phone I have found. Say your cancelling and they will ask why and I always say it's too expensive and that's when they're like see what we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭emy

I canceled the virginmedia broadband contract today on behalf of a neighbor who does not have good English. He was paying 48.50 for 120Mb broadband and with the upcoming five euro increase is too much.
    The customer tried to come up with some "deals", but none of them were for our taste.
    Personally I am paying 30 + 5 increase, for 120Mb. It is alright for now, but any more increase i will definitely cancel it.
    Even 120mb speed is too much for my personal needs, I see this option os 120Mb on their website anymore. I do not need 360Mb.
    Why in the UK there is an option of 50Mb for £9/month for six months and after is £19? I do not know why the UK Virginmedia offers more options than here in IE!

emy wrote: »
    I canceled the virginmedia broadband contract today on behalf of a neighbor who does not have good English. He was paying 48.50 for 120Mb broadband and with the upcoming five euro increase is too much.
    The customer tried to come up with some "deals", but none of them were for our taste.
    Personally I am paying 30 + 5 increase, for 120Mb. It is alright for now, but any more increase i will definitely cancel it.
    Even 120mb speed is too much for my personal needs, I see this option os 120Mb on their website anymore. I do not need 360Mb.
    Why in the UK there is an option of 50Mb for £9/month for six months and after is £19? I do not know why the UK Virginmedia offers more options than here in IE!

We generally have faster speeds than the UK.

If you want slower/cheaper options, then research other providers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm, may have to ring and check this out. Bills went up today. Anybody email with success?

thinking about ti, i can't really ring as it's somebody of the opposite sex down as the account name that was never changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

I had been hounding them for last 3 weeks deal the were offering me for complete bundle was 6 months @ €42.50 & 6 months @ €85. To me every year we are going to have a €5 increase onto a package in order to all them to "invest in giving us a better service!".

In the end decideded to get free to air channels and just keep broadband and phone with them 4 months at €32 & 8 months @ €50.

size5 wrote: »
    To me every year we are going to have a €5 increase onto a package in order to all them to "invest in giving us a better service!".

I doubt it- UPC are predominantly in urban areas- where customers have other options. The reason that so many of us got 9 months half price on 12 month contracts etc- is because they are not competing financially with their competitors. They are making an assumption that their offering blows all competitors out of the water- however, the problem is- most people do not need or want to pay for the blistering fast speeds UPC can offer- in my case- the sole selling point is the upload rather than the download speed........

I can't see more price rises- because customers will simply walk- as indeed many of us have contemplated doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Was on 85 for BB/Phone/Max Pack due to go to 90. Rang and quoted the EIR deal and got 6 months at 42.50 and 6 months at 85. No increase.

Happy enough with that. Took about 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

My contract is going to be up in another 2 months and hoping to find out some info before I renew the contract. I have been paying 38.50 for Horizon Max with 240mb broadband after getting a deal last year, ideally I would like to keep this but i'm willing to stretch to 45 if I get it for the year. Has anybody had some luck with trying this? If I can't get it i'm just going to cancel and and get saorview along with a mobile hotspot since I have 4G in my apartment and free data from 3.

Just want to keep the subscription out of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Jambo wrote: »
    Online chat told me to ring the loyaly team I could squeeze out of them was a total €40 off per month for four months, however they kept mentioning an 18 month contract then agreeing to a 12 month but would not back it up in an email as he said they are not allowed to.

Judging by the stories on here re getting different contracts than what was agreed I think ill ring back today to get a better deal and try get it in writing.

I rang them back at the start of the week and was told that all offers had now ceased but mentioned this thread and the agent said he would ask his supervisor what he could do. So after a 10 min wait I was told I could have Horizon Max, 240MB BB (Upgrade from 120mb) and Anytime World +400mins for €43:50 for the next 6 months, then it would be €85 thereafter (total of a 12 month contract).

I asked them to confirm this via email but they said they couldn’t provide one so asked them to note the deal on the account while I thought about it, later I got in in writing from a chat transcript.

I rang them back to go ahead and was put on hold for 20+ minutes while the deal was applied to my account, however Fast Forward 5 days to today and I notice my account is still listing the original setup , chatted with the guys online they confirmed no changes were made and that I would have to speak to the loyalty team again to get my deal applied, however this time when I rang I said I wanted 9 months discounted from the word go – this was agreed to in the space of 2 mins without question– so now it’s just a wait and see to see if the discount is applied and not like the last time !

So all in a €383 saving for the next 12 months for possibly an hour of phone calls.

Only concern is that the last agent said that I will have to change my modem to move from the 120mb to 240mb service which is of concern as I don’t want to lose bridging support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I rang them back at the start of the week and was told that all offers had now ceased but mentioned this thread and the agent said he would ask his supervisor what he could do. So after a 10 min wait I was told I could have Horizon Max, 240MB BB (Upgrade from 120mb) and Anytime World +400mins for €43:50 for the next 6 months, then it would be €85 thereafter (total of a 12 month contract).

I asked them to confirm this via email but they said they couldn’t provide one so asked them to note the deal on the account while I thought about it, later I got in in writing from a chat transcript.

I rang them back to go ahead and was put on hold for 20+ minutes while the deal was applied to my account, however Fast Forward 5 days to today and I notice my account is still listing the original setup , chatted with the guys online they confirmed no changes were made and that I would have to speak to the loyalty team again to get my deal applied, however this time when I rang I said I wanted 9 months discounted from the word go – this was agreed to in the space of 2 mins without question– so now it’s just a wait and see to see if the discount is applied and not like the last time !

So all in a €383 saving for the next 12 months for possibly an hour of phone calls.

Only concern is that the last agent said that I will have to change my modem to move from the 120mb to 240mb service which is of concern as I don’t want to lose bridging support.
    what modem have u got?

I've had the two different Cisco modems- and now I'm on the Compal 'Virgin Hub 3'- bridging hasn't been an issue with any of the modems I've had. Note- I have had to modify the default gateway address for my own wireless router- as most kit has a liking for 192.168.0.1 - once modified- it works straight from the get-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Hi guys what can i hope to get i have broadband and tv in 3 rooms one of them is the recording

also whats the eir offer ?

any help appreciated guys

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

massy086 wrote: »
    what modem have u got?

I have the Technicolor TC7200 ( Bridged )

• Advertisement

just wondering what the eir deal was please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I have the Technicolor TC7200 ( Bridged )
    The tc7200 will be OK for 240mb.but if they insist on upgrading your modem fight hard and demand the new compal virgin hub.you can true bridge from it.as your are double Natting from the tc7200

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

massy086 wrote: »
    The tc7200 will be OK for 240mb.but if they insist on upgrading your modem fight hard and demand the new compal virgin hub.you can true bridge from it.as your are double Natting from the tc7200
    I have the tc7200, I got it last week off them, I enabled bridge mode,
    Don't think I am. Double Natting? I can connect to my cameras outside from home & xbox says it has no issues with Nat?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

6 months half price, had to go through some back and forth negotiations but got it in the end, possibly could have pushed for 9, guy was very weak!

got six months half

this guy wasnt budging it was 6 or none had an answer for everything

i challeneged him on increasing the bill every march he said i had the right to downsize or cancel it

wish there was someone better out there

he also said eir use the internet for there tv and your down 20 mb before you start :rolleyes:

My Virgin Media
    Want to stay in control and save money, get your bill online and save a tidy €3.50 a month? We call it a self-service discount and it’s our way of saying thank you for looking after yourself online. Hop online and set up your account at virginmedia.ie/myvirginmedia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Virgin Media Saga.

Had basic digital value tv, 120mb broadband and phone which was never used.
    Got the letter stating the €5 increase sometime in January. My bill was €63.50 and was due to crease to €68.50.

Rang to cancel on the 25th January and got through to locality, ended up upgrading to 240mb and horizon max (was only on e phone a week earlier trying to get the Disney channels for the kids so this was perfect), 6 months at €42.50 and 6 at €85.

So remember that date guys, 25th January!

So que the daily phone calls and emails asking about the equipment.... And the box arrives today, the 14th March!

Because of the hassle I got 10 months at €42.50 and 2 months at €85.

I now want to check that I am actually getting the faster broadband speeds.
    iPhone 6 constantly returns 33mb over wifi, what should I be getting (assuming in the same room as router and full signal).

I will check a wired connection to my laptop tomorrow.

Also, I am going to try chase out the deal in writing, I have an email address for a senior manager (seemly) in the locality department so I will get it in writing hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

faolteam wrote: »
    My Virgin Media
    Want to stay in control and save money, get your bill online and save a tidy €3.50 a month? We call it a self-service discount and it’s our way of saying thank you for looking after yourself online. Hop online and set up your account at virginmedia.ie/myvirginmedia

It's worth it. If you are paying by DD it won't make any difference to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

kceire wrote: »
    Virgin Media Saga.
    i now want to check that I am actually getting the faster broadband speeds.
    iPhone 6 constantly returns 33mb over wifi, what should I be getting (assuming in the same room as router and full signal).

I will check a wired connection to my laptop tomorrow.

With the horizon box (not sure on newer Virgin box) you have 3 ssid's.
    One for Horizon Wi-free (if you enabled this)
    One for 2.4ghz, i think thats the 33mb you are getting, lower speed , greater distance.
    One for 5ghz, this will give you the faster speeds but worse distance from router.

Check with wired laptop for your correct speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

9 months half price 3 months full price. New router as well. That'll do for this year. Not much hassle at all.

Advertisement