Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

After 2 calls, the best they could offer as 6 months half price on an upgraded package. My current package:

120/12 and 100 channels with Cisco HD Box only and 70p.m going to 75 after march ( 900/year)

Their last offer before sending cancellation email:

240Mb Anytime World + Horizon Max TV 6 months half price, 12 month contract (765/year, 63.75/month)

After sending email, got a call and settled for:

360Mb Mobile World + Horizon TV 9 months half price, 12 month contract (712.5/year, 59.74/month)

A saving of 187.5 for the year, 3x speed, free mobile calls, new router and horizon box. Cant complain, will keep an eye on the bill. Do have a chat with CS confirming the 9 months, should be enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eddhorse wrote: »
    With the horizon box (not sure on newer Virgin box) you have 3 ssid's.
    One for Horizon Wi-free (if you enabled this)
    One for 2.4ghz, i think thats the 33mb you are getting, lower speed , greater distance.
    One for 5ghz, this will give you the faster speeds but worse distance from router.

Check with wired laptop for your correct speed.

34mb over wifi with the phone today.
    67mb with the laptop hard wired to the router.

No where near what I should be getting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kceire wrote: »

I'm getting this on wifi-

No idea why the image isn't showing- but its 94mb Up / 37mb down- pretty reasonable for wifi (note- thats on the 5Ghz band)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

I'm getting this on wifi-

U9kxss1.png

No idea why the image isn't showing- but its 94mb Up / 37mb down- pretty reasonable for wifi (note- thats on the 5Ghz band)

fixed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

kceire wrote: »

Do you have a Gigabit ethernet card on your laptop? And are you using a Cat 5e cable?

I was only getting around 90Mbps on wired cause I didn't notice I was using a Cat 5 cable. Replaced it with a Cat 5e cable and now I'm getting the full 240Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

But its not half price its about 42% off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jamescd wrote: »
    Do you have a Gigabit ethernet card on your laptop? And are you using a Cat 5e cable?

I was only getting around 90Mbps on wired cause I didn't notice I was using a Cat 5 cable. Replaced it with a Cat 5e cable and now I'm getting the full 240Mbps.

Turns out there's static on the line. Technician coming out next week to try fix the issue. In fairness they had an opening for tomorrow or Saturday but I'm away so next week is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

Current bill is 85€ for 240Mbps and Max TV package.

First call:
    -20€ for TV - For 4 months
    -20€ for BB - For 4 months
    -5€ for Phone - 6 months

Waited a week, then called back.

Second call:
    6 months half price
    So 42.50€ for 6 months
    12 month contract
    New horizon box (hope this helps with the ****ty wifi)

Don't use the landline but taking that out makes it more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Have 120Mb + unused phone, paying 40 going to 45.
    Called last Friday, best they could offer was 4 months half price. Sent cancellation email there and then. They called on following Wednesday, offered 6 months half price which I took, 12 months contract. 3 minutes later got a call from another VM department to arrange modem collection, which I thought was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Had a relatively unsuccessful call with loyalty team. I stupidly let my previous half price deal lapse in October and never got back to them to renegotiate.

Currently have 120mb broadband(only getting around 30mb), phone anywhere 300 + digital max tv, one HD sub + one extra sd box in 2nd room - €95.98pm due to go to €100.98pm from April.

Was offered €55 for 6 months and €95.98 for next 6 months (initially 4 months).

Also tried to get me to switch to Horizon at €71 for 4 months and €95 after that.

Told him not enough and that I'd get back to them.

What's best I can reasonably expect to get and best way to go about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Two weeks today since I sent the cancellation email and not a peep out of Virgin.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Two weeks today since I sent the cancellation email and not a peep out of Virgin.

athtrasna if they get back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

My parents got the letter to say their charges were going up but missed the deadline to cancel last month. Any point in ringing them now for a better deal or is just tough at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

mossy464 wrote: »
    My parents got the letter to say their charges were going up but missed the deadline to cancel last month. Any point in ringing them now for a better deal or is just tough at this stage.

Are they in contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Are they in contract?

I'm not sure I'll have to find out. We did change our package around this time last year so that would have renewed the contract I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

mossy464 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'll have to find out. We did change our package around this time last year so that would have renewed the contract I guess.
    depending on contract you might be out or in for 2 years,since when i renewed last year it was for 2yrs,that said deadline shouldnt be issue since either way once you agreed to contract it was settled price,so any hike no matter how they set it up should void contract-since its per their T&C but one could argue-since when i gotten email of price increase,i thought maybe to leave it till last day for best deal,but instead went in early,and even then they had catch which was giving notice of 30days-so even with that if missed few days automatically they would benefit of charging any extra by the time passed 30d period.

Anyway not sure what plan you have but ringing them and going for better deal -maybe 360 or tv package whatever is used to get same price with benefits worth a try,dont think VM atm are getting much positive feedback in general thus id imagine keeping clients would be in their best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

athtrasna wrote: »

What is the cancellation email address? On phone so can't use the search function properly

kellsred wrote: »
    What is the cancellation email address? On phone so can't use the search function properly

Lets no what the out come is;

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kellsred wrote: »

cancel@virginmedia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I just got my bill for this month and it has gone up by €5 from €80 to €85. I didn't get any notification to say this would happen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    I just got my bill for this month and it has gone up by €5 from €80 to €85. I didn't get any notification to say this would happen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

they sent out emails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

faolteam wrote: »
    they sent out emails

I honestly never received that email. I keep all the Virgin Media emails I get, but none of them mention a price increase. The only thing I can think of is that it got sent to my junk email by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The only thing I can think of is that it got sent to my junk email by mistake

Best place for it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

VonLuck wrote: »
    I honestly never received that email. I keep all the Virgin Media emails I get, but none of them mention a price increase. The only thing I can think of is that it got sent to my junk email by mistake.

I'm the same. 45 - 50. Broadband only.
    No email received.

Definitely not.

What's the play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'll admit I didn't really read the email they sent me.
    I just saw €5 increase in the email from VM, but thought it wouldn't affect me because i've already got a contract with them where i pay €80 to the end of May 2016.
    It seems i was wrong, as i've been billed €85 today, and when i rang them to inquire, they said that they could change the price within the contract, and that's why i had 30 days to cancel without having to pay the €200 cancellation fee.
    How is this right, that you agree a price, and they change it?

I just hung up on the fella as he was being fairly short with me.
    It's only and extra €15 but it's the principle of it that's annoying me.

Do i have any case here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Not really. You get 30 days to change or end your contract. If you havent done so then you cant do much about it now.

I would suggest to try again, you may find someone nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Not really. You get 30 days to change or end your contract. If you havent done so then you cant do much about it now.

I would suggest to try again, you may find someone nice.
    Yea, that's what i might do, although i'm not hugely bothered as it's only €15.
    Is it too early to look for a cancellation deal or do i need to wait until i'm out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Wait until your contract is over. More leverage to haggle. You are not too far away anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Wait until your contract is over. More leverage to haggle. You are not too far away anyway.

Sky, Vodafone and Eir will have new marketing campaigns starting after Easter- which will highlight just how uncompetitive the UPC offering really are- and give ammunition to anyone who has the opportunity to switch, at that stage.

The whole lot of them will give you at very least a 6 month half-price switching offer on the spot- if not more- but formal welcome offers will be relaunched imminently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Worst mistake I done was sign up for them a few months ago there service has gonever right to the dogs since they moved there call center.

Now it's full of people who don't speak English, can't understand you, keep you on hold for hours for no reason, blame you on there problems.

When I signed up never got a account number then got a letter saying my account owes money 4 weeks later. Would have been paid if I had a account number to log in and set up a DD.

Theno next month same again and I set up the DD twice but never went trow on there useless system.

Now 3Rd month of it after setting up a DD again and got a letter saying I owe money.

Call them said it's my problem and I should pay my bills jeses I been trying to pay them via DD for the past 3 months but there system won't take my bank account number.

There just useless and the fact I had to spend nearly 100 euros on boasting the WiFi to my bedroom 2 doors down as there WiFi is so week from there router. They told me to take out the power line plugs .......

Why can't they go back to the days of upc a few years ago when there cared about your problems ?.

Advertisement