Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

5 mins on the phone there, said sky offering me 49 a month for the year, He said 9 months half price, i said happy days, he then said 4 months half price, i said ask me bollocks you just said 9 months, we had a little laugh about his crappy negotiation skills.

45 a month 9 months :)

Horizon Max Bundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Just got the price increase email today. Has anyone tried using the Eir offer to haggle - works out around €50 per month for phone / tv / broadband, though not quite the same speeds as Virgin. I'm not too worried about speed, given that I'll be more limited by local wireless anyway.

The real thing holding me with Virgin is the analogue service wired to the kitchen TV. If I switch to any other service, I'll need to do a pile of wiring, or end up with wires running down the wall, which I've managed to avoid so far. Is there any kind of wireless Chromecast or Apple TV thing that would allow me to send a TV signal to the kitchen TV via wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

ninty wrote: »
    "Thanks for getting in touch, below we will confirm details for all the bits and bobs you need to know about your order/changes. It’ll also fill you in on some useful details you need to know." Yeah just received a confirmation email that started with this and then with all their rules and regs but nowhere on it does it mention what i agreed to. Happen to Anybody else?
    Yes i got the same,but the girl on the phone did say the discount wouldnt be on the email,she just said i will see the discount on my next 6 bills(i got half price for 6 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

What deals are people getting for only phone and broadband. I was offered only €5 off for the next few months.

Currently paying €45

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Might be a bit off-topic but I'm going to get Sky in the apartment if I can. Does anyone know if there's a page on their site that lets you check if your address is eligible like you can with Virgin? Every mention of it that I can find says you have to call them. If I can't actually get it I'll see what Virgin can do for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't know how VM are going to mange all these bills changing month to month like this. I changed service from a 44.99 bill to a 45.00 bill in November.

I've now had 3 incorrect bills for 73.08, 46.73 and 64.00 the last 3 months. The support staff are terrible, they are trying to argue the bills are correct based on "well we pre-charge you this and then apply a credit" just to confuse you.

You point out the obvious and they put you on hold and all of a sudden the line dies or you are put thorough to automated bill payment and have to start again. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Anybody who got a confirmation email of their new deal, did it have on it that you got half price for 9 months or whatever deal you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

As mentioned in a few recent posts, the email confirmation doesn't give any particulars on the new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Haven't even got a confirmation e-mail yet and I rang at like half eleven this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Might be a bit off-topic but I'm going to get Sky in the apartment if I can. Does anyone know if there's a page on their site that lets you check if your address is eligible like you can with Virgin? Every mention of it that I can find says you have to call them. If I can't actually get it I'll see what Virgin can do for me.

That depends on the position of the satellite dish.

Sky will have a record of any previous customers at that address who could get a reception and so they will know if you can have it or not. Otherwise they'll send a tech out to try and set one up.
    In my apartment I can't get Sky because there is a huge tree blocking the signal - if the tree wasn't there I would have a perfect signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

jamescd wrote: »
    Haven't even got a confirmation e-mail yet and I rang at like half eleven this morning

Just do like I did, go on chat, ask when is your new discount going to be applied. Mine starts on 7th February. Oh ask on chat to confirm what discount you have.

It took a day or two before I got confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just got off the phone, on there for 25 minutes. Finally got it down to half price for tv, internet, phone @42.5 * 9 months and 85 * 3 months.
    He initially started pushing for increased level of service, i.e faster broadband and more hd channels for same price. Wasn't interested, next offer 70 * 4 months then 85 * 8 months, not a chance. Next offer half price * 6 month, pointed out how much cheaper sky was. Off he toted again and came back had a look at my service again and wallah 9 months * 42.5, 3 months * 85.

This is where it gets interesting, I assumed that the faster internet and horizon box was off the table. Turns out that was all included. I was ready to pull the trigger, but he insisted that I take some time to think, it over. Despite agreeing to the new service 3 times. Either there are better offers still available, or he is praying I don't call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Installed my new 360 router now, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5040371059

What are others getting? This is 5 feet away.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

Thanks to everyone who posted. 20 min on to Philippines, went straight to point and said I knew deal available was 9 months at half price. Said I didn't want to waste their time! 5 min on hold and cane back agreeing to it. Tried to get 360mbs thrown in but would only offer me this for 6 months. Took the nine month deal. Many thanks to all the posters who made this possible. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Kalimera wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who posted. 20 min on to Philippines, went straight to point and said I knew deal available was 9 months at half price. Said I didn't want to waste their time! 5 min on hold and cane back agreeing to it. Tried to get 360mbs thrown in but would only offer me this for 6 months. Took the nine month deal. Many thanks to all the posters who made this possible. ðŸ‘

My contract is up in 2 months. Can you outline what "the deal" is?

(Arriving late to a 1067 post thread! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Uh oh!

My contract is up in 2 months. Can you outline what "the deal" is?

(Arriving late to a 1067 post thread! :o)

9 months half price + 3 months full price on a 12 month contract

mad m wrote: »
    Just do like I did, go on chat, ask when is your new discount going to be applied. Mine starts on 7th February. Oh ask on chat to confirm what discount you have.

It took a day or two before I got confirmation email.

Thanks for that. Got on chat and they confirmed what bundle I will be getting, that I will be receiving the new Horizon box in 3 - 5 days and that the discount will start on my next bill. Sorted now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Try a wired connection to see what your actual speed is- that speednet result is appalling- I get about 4 times that speed on 4G/H+ on my mobile phone........

Here is my Virgin Media score (on a 120Mb connection)

My score is on wifi- the router is 2 rooms, and 1 masonry wall, away.......

Edit: Sorry- image not loading. Link posted instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

This is on wifi and on iPhone.
    Sorry cant paste thw screenshot for some reason, 125 down and 25 upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mike1961 wrote: »
    As mentioned in a few recent posts, the email confirmation doesn't give any particulars on the new deal.

My email did but it bore no relation to the deal I agreed so I had to get back onto them.

Try a wired connection to see what your actual speed is- that speednet result is appalling- I get about 4 times that speed on 4G/H+ on my mobile phone........

Here is my Virgin Media score (on a 120Mb connection)

My score is on wifi- the router is 2 rooms, and 1 masonry wall, away.......

Edit: Sorry- image not loading. Link posted instead.

Tried wired and got 76
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5040529541

I just left all the old wires that were there. Should i change them for the new ones?

I'm also in an apartment which mightn't help.

Mine Download 39.53, upload 12.48 inches away....

Decided to test other side of room for a fair comparison, speed much the same
    41.01mb download, upload 12.54.

This is on a 120mb pre horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

superg wrote: »
    Anybody who got a confirmation email of their new deal, did it have on it that you got half price for 9 months or whatever deal you got?

Got an e/mail yesterday at my request. Didn't give the specific figures.

Rang 1908 back this morning ( Limerick ). Excellent girl called Marie sent me new e-mail with everything itemised.

Happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just off the phone, Philippines. No way were they giving 9 months, swore it was not available today.

Currently paying 75 for digital value TV plus 120mb Internet plus phone I never use. Offered to upgrade it to 240 mb with 35 for four months, seventy for two and 75 for six months. I flat out refused that then got the spiel about the issues with Sky. I said I didn't care and they went to six months half price.

Told them my friend got 9 months and asked if he got it because he was a man (playing every card I could think of) so she said "we love you as our loyal customer, we don't want to lose you so let me see what I can do" and that was....Nothing. Six months the best they could offer. Asked for the cancellation email address and was given it straight away :(

Don't have the energy to try again tonight.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just off the phone, Philippines. No way were they giving 9 months, swore it was not available today.

Currently paying 75 for digital value TV plus 120mb Internet plus phone I never use. Offered to upgrade it to 240 mb with 35 for four months, seventy for two and 75 for six months. I flat out refused that then got the spiel about the issues with Sky. I said I didn't care and they went to six months half price.

Told them my friend got 9 months and asked if he got it because he was a man (playing every card I could think of) so she said "we love you as our loyal customer, we don't want to lose you so let me see what I can do" and that was....Nothing. Six months the best they could offer. Asked for the cancellation email address and was given it straight away :(

Don't have the energy to try again tonight.

9 months definitely available. 2nd call was a more stressful. Got the offer I wanted on my first call, but agent wouldn't let me accept, wanted me to really think about it.

When I called back, I pushed with "My partner is concerned that I'm not getting the best offer available to me", I think I almost had here ready to check with her supervisor, but she came back with, am I watching all the channels.
    Most of the call was going in circles because there was a choice of different call packages, but I barely use the phone.
    In the end she asked if I wanted to switch to 240mB horizon. I was on 120mB prehorizon. Previous agent said the new price was conditional on changing to horizon. All very confusing. I made one last ditch attempt to get 10 months that some have said they have got. She sounded a little frustrated but, I couldn't get it from her.
    If I got her on my first call, I might have been looking at 6 months half price max. Since offer was already made, she couldn't change it, but she did her best to upsell, e.g before she would process everything she had a last ditch attempt at getting me to sign up for virgin mobile. Tied we my current provider, so wasn't an option.

Each call lasted about 25 minutes. Now need to update network card in my laptop to utilise better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

Daft question that I should have asked, but if you have been upgraded on speed, as I have, when does the change in speed/the new contract kick in? The My Virgin Media Overview/our account section of the site shows the old details of our contract

brophs wrote: »
    Daft question that I should have asked, but if you have been upgraded on speed, as I have, when does the change in speed/the new contract kick in? The My Virgin Media Overview/our account section of the site shows the old details of our contract

In my case at least, I was told it would happen as soon as I have received my horizon box. If you already have a horizon box, I imagine it would take effect sooner.

Anyone have any idea if the courier will actually take the box. Worried about losing, my recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

brophs wrote: »

Depends on the router you have- I was advised to wait about 15 minutes- turn the router off for 4-5 minutes- and then on again.
    It restarted- as it does whenever the power goes- and when I ran the speed tester on it- sure enough it had been upgraded.

Its a simple setting they can change remotely- if your hardware supports it. I have the Cisco EPC 3925 (which I've disabled the wifi on- and use a Netgear N600 in bridge mode on it for far more reliable wifi instead).

I believe they're handing out Cisco 3928s now to new customers- who don't sign up to Horizon (I'm guessing the wifi on it is a bit crap too).

I currently have a 240Mb broadband and homephone package with them (I have a Skydish with a Freesat HD receiver on it- and we're on 12 month contracts with Vodafone for our mobiles). I'm thinking of dropping the home phone altogether- and just taking broadband from them (is this even an option anymore?). What are my options (I've tried to guage what my options are on their website- however, they don't feature the reduced packages- of only broadband or BB and home phone- that they used have........) Any ideas?

Advertisement