Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

i'm on 45e broadband and phone, going up to 50.

just off the phone there, they first offered me 5e a month off my first 4 months, when i rejected that, they then offered 10e off for 4 months, told them sky was 35e a month, she then offered me first 4 months half price which i said is still dearer than sky, she put me on hold and then came back with 6 months half price which i took.... was gonna say no to that to see if she would offer me 9 months but decided to just take the 6 months half price and leave it at that...regret it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Everytime I play hard ball they always say i'll put you through to cancellations! FML

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

just off the phone there, they first offered me 5e a month off my first 4 months, when i rejected that, they then offered 10e off for 4 months, told them sky was 35e a month, she then offered me first 4 months half price which i said is still dearer than sky, she put me on hold and then came back with 6 months half price which i took.... was gonna say no to that to see if she would offer me 9 months but decided to just take the 6 months half price and leave it at that...regret it now!!

Exactly what i was offered and took as it took 20 mins to get that,if i really wanted to leave i may have held out for 9 months,maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

I tried contacting Virgin via the chat service on the website but keeps saying not available as its not there normal hours...does anyone know what times they are available for the online chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

All these deals they have to give out just to keep people, it might be cheaper for them to not piss us all off every year by hiking their bloody prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Tried the VM online chat to see what i was offered last night, she offered me a BB upgrade to 240. That's all she said that she could do on my package that is 80 going to 85. Said i was going to cancel.

Called on the phone today and got a nice person from the Philippines, started off taken 15 off a month for the year, said its still nowhere near the Sky deal, he then offered 4 Months half price, told him it still wasn't good enough and that i knew of family who were offered 9 Months half price, he put be on hold to take to his supervisor and came back with 9 Months half and 3 Months full and the BB upgrade to 240 with a contract of 12 Months. Call tool 15 minutes.

Thats a saving of nearly 385 a year for a simple phone call. Delighted with that and the fact i came across this thread. Would encourage people that don't get good offer first time to keep calling back as i think its about who you get and maybe they only have X amounts of offers per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

well done conor,

I think the online chat is useless, get them on the phone, keep persevering, mine wasn't gonna give me it because I was already on contract, so I suggested he cancel my contract and then apply the 9 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

It's a lot easier to fob someone off in a chat window rather than on the phone when they can argue with you.
    Always call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Anyone have the Virgin Media loyalty number please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You still have 14 days cooling off period. Chance your arm and get back onto them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ninty wrote: »
    At least you have proof of what was offered to you
    I got phone call yesterday evening....it turns out I was offered 15 euro for 6 months, and 30 euro for 6 months after they finally listened back to the call! Like I had said from day one...it only took 8 days, hours on the phone and chat.

But the lady on the phone said they wouldnt be able to give me that deal as the person on the phone made a mistake?!?!
    Not sure how virgin media get away with this crap.

I am expecting an email outlining exactly what I am being offered today (the drama of trying to get that was a hole other story). But I honestly don't trust virgin media to hold up their end of the bargain. But at least this gives me 14 days cooling off to cancel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

Just got off the line with them.first i was offered a higher bundle,360mb etc, at my current price.i said i was trying to get my cost down not stay the same.she came back and offered me half price on my current bundle for 4 months,i told her the minimum i would accept was 6 months at half price,she checked again with her supervisor and came back to me and said they would do that. So i,m happy enough. I also asked her would i get confirmation and she said yes,i will get an email with new contract but the 6 months half price wouldnt be in the email but it would be on my bill

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UnGround

Just rang them myself, just out of 12month contract and received the €5 increase email. currently on basic horizon with 120mb broadband.

First offer was zero! she just said how sky offered no HD channels and kept saying that it was €30 a month line rental with them (not sure if that's true?)

said no and she went to ask her supervisor, came back with 4 months half price. said no again and said the Sky was cheaper and my brother got 9 months half price and i couldn't afford to pay any more so she went off again to check.

Came back asking if i wanted to upgrade?? i asked what discount i would get for that but she seemed confused about it and then just offered me 6 months half price as her best offer. again i said too expensive and sky was cheaper, she argued the line rental and i said it was still cheaper and i could pay more than that and i was looking for the 9 months half price.

She wouldn't offer me that so i just asked how i go about cancelling and straight away she said i can have the 9 months half price on a 12 month contract! happy days! delighted with that.

tried to get the broadband upped to 240mb too but then she started talking about upgrades and i didn't want to risk the 9 months half price so i just stuck with the 120mb.

Really happy with that result. 42.50 for nine months and then 85 for the remaining three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

How soon after doing a deal for another 12 month contract did you receive the confirmation email?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Just off the blower. Spoke to a girl in Manilla and it must be her first day or something, she was totally flustered from the get go so I walked her where I wanted her to go, ended up with the 9 months half price for my existing 240mb broadband.

ciarsd wrote: »
    How soon after doing a deal for another 12 month contract did you receive the confirmation email?

Mine took about 2.5 hours.

Just confirmed my prices too. Half price for 9 months. Even they said it before I did so well happy.
    They "forgot" to upgrade my BB which was why I rang back, but TV was done. They've upgraded it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

How do you get through to manilla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

what time are you guys getting Manila folks on phone? I have got only Irish folks so far.

Just finished my call about 15 minutes ago.

Yesterday I rang around 1.30. It's just luck of the draw though. Depends who is available. I've never waited more than 5 min to begin talking to a rep though so maybe just keep hanging up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I got same deal, upgraded to Horizon 240 (from standard 120). went from €15 off for 6 months to half price for 4 months to half price for 6 months, I suggested half price for 9 months would clinch the deal! She went away to talk to her manager and came back with 'fantastic news' that her manager had approved it.

Was just thinking though...the usual loyalty deal used to be for 12 months half price. I wonder would they do that, maybe we're all accepting 9 months without trying for 12! Who's up for the challenge?! I know Sky are offering 12 months half price. If I had thought of it at the time I would have given it a go!

Note the follow through was fantastic...2 hours after agreeing to the new contract I had a text from Nightline to say my new box would be delivered the next day, and in fairness it was at my door by 11am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

What's the best time to get through to Manila, and what number are ye dialling? Is it 1908?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Got through to a guy in Manila and he initially offered me 4 months half price. I said no and that I wanted at least 6 months half price. So he went away for 5 mins and came back and told me yes.

Could have pushed for 9 months like some folks on here but I'm happy enough with 6. Got 6 months at €42.50 (€85 after) for 240MB Broadband + TV + Phone, with a new TV box included. I'm paying €85 for 120MB Broadband + TV + Phone atm so happy with the upgrade.

They mentioned I'd be getting a new TV Box as I said, but since I'm being upgraded to 240MB Broadband will I get a new modem? Or will my current modem work? Also will the half price start on the next bill or the bill after that?

What's the best time to get through to Manila, and what number are ye dialling? Is it 1908?

It's 061272190, got through to Manila about 30 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Virgin only supply a generic conformation email in some cases (if you upgrade or need new equipment). They don't fulfil their legal obligations

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html
    Confirmation of contract

The trader must provide confirmation of the concluded contract to you in a durable format, such as a letter or email. It should include the information mentioned above, if not already supplied in a durable format. It should be provided within a reasonable time after the contract was concluded, and at the latest:
    •When the goods are being delivered or
    •Before a service is provided

you need to ask to comply and if they fail to do so the contract is not enforceable and you may be able to exit whenever you want
    When making a complaint, you should firstly contact the trader and inform them of your complaint. If you are not satisfied with the response, you may be able to get help with your complaint.

If your complaint is against a trader here in Ireland, then you should complain to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC), which has responsibility for enforcing the Regulations. The CCPC can appoint officers to search, inspect and remove documents from the premises of offending traders.

If a trader fails to comply with legal obligations, then the distance contract will be rendered unenforceable. The supplier is then exposed to the risk of criminal prosecution and fines of up to €60,000 or up to 18 months in prison, or to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Virgin only supply a generic conformation email in some cases (if you upgrade or need new equipment). They don't fulfil their legal obligations

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html
    Confirmation of contract

The trader must provide confirmation of the concluded contract to you in a durable format, such as a letter or email. It should include the information mentioned above, if not already supplied in a durable format. It should be provided within a reasonable time after the contract was concluded, and at the latest:
    •When the goods are being delivered or
    •Before a service is provided

you need to ask to comply and if they fail to do so the contract is not enforceable and you may be able to exit whenever you want
    When making a complaint, you should firstly contact the trader and inform them of your complaint. If you are not satisfied with the response, you may be able to get help with your complaint.

If your complaint is against a trader here in Ireland, then you should complain to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC), which has responsibility for enforcing the Regulations. The CCPC can appoint officers to search, inspect and remove documents from the premises of offending traders.

If a trader fails to comply with legal obligations, then the distance contract will be rendered unenforceable. The supplier is then exposed to the risk of criminal prosecution and fines of up to €60,000 or up to 18 months in prison, or to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

"Thanks for getting in touch, below we will confirm details for all the bits and bobs you need to know about your order/changes. It’ll also fill you in on some useful details you need to know." Yeah just received a confirmation email that started with this and then with all their rules and regs but nowhere on it does it mention what i agreed to. Happen to Anybody else?

jamescd wrote: »

They mentioned I'd be getting a new TV Box as I said, but since I'm being upgraded to 240MB Broadband will I get a new modem? Or will my current modem work? Also will the half price start on the next bill or the bill after that?

If you're talking about a wireless router, you don't need yours anymore, wifi is integrated into the new Horizon box.

AFAIK the half price starts from the day you upgrade, so they will pro-rata the bills accordingly or it will start from the end of your current billing cycle.

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    If you're talking about a wireless router, you don't need yours anymore, wifi is integrated into the new Horizon box.

AFAIK the half price starts from the day you upgrade, so they will pro-rata the bills accordingly or it will start from the end of your current billing cycle.

Thanks. Yeah currently I have a separate UPC modem/router and a TV Box. I've had it for like 2+ years now.

So the new Horizon box is both the TV box and modem/router in one? I have several devices connected via WiFi and I also have a couple of devices connected via cat 5/Lan cable to my current UPC modem/router. Does the new Horzion box do both Lan and WiFi like my current UPC modem/router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

ninty wrote: »
    "Thanks for getting in touch, below we will confirm details for all the bits and bobs you need to know about your order/changes. It’ll also fill you in on some useful details you need to know." Yeah just received a confirmation email that started with this and then with all their rules and regs but nowhere on it does it mention what i agreed to. Happen to Anybody else?

yeah, you'll also get a letter in the post with the same generic language. not even sure how this works to their advantage, but either way keep meticulous details yourself and be prepared to argue if you have to

jamescd wrote: »
    Does the new Horzion box do both Lan and WiFi like my current UPC modem/router?

Yes it has 4 LAN ports, 2 phone ports and built-in wifi signal broadcast

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Yes it has 4 LAN ports, 2 phone ports and built-in wifi signal broadcast

Ah that's handy then, having just one box for both the Broadband and TV. Thanks for the help

Advertisement