Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I cancelled Virgin BB 2 months ago and the router is still sitting in my front room waiting for collection.
    Might charge them rent. ;)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I cancelled Virgin BB 2 months ago and the router is still sitting in my front room waiting for collection.
    Might charge them rent. ;)

I've an old router in the shed this last 6-9 months.

Their modem is a POS though. I'm on my 3rd on the last year now, and it's started showing signs of failure (dropping internet and needing a hard reset).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

The 55pm deal ends on October 2nd. Could you sign up and delay installation? Anyone any experience in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I've an old router in the shed this last 6-9 months.

Their modem is a POS though. I'm on my 3rd on the last year now, and it's started showing signs of failure (dropping internet and needing a hard reset).

This is the issue I’ve had since they launched smart WiFi. Internet drops 4-5 time every evening. That’s the supposed good white compal one too

jhammer wrote: »
    The 55pm deal ends on October 2nd. Could you sign up and delay installation? Anyone any experience in this?

Billing starts as soon as the equipment arrives in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

This is the issue I’ve had since they launched smart WiFi. Internet drops 4-5 time every evening. That’s the supposed good white compal one too

5ghz hasnt worked since this "Upgrade"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

About to go into the last month of my contract. Currently on 6 months 1/2 price, 6 months full at €90 for basic tv package + 240mb bband + phone which I never use.
    Hate the thought of the annual dance with them trying to get a decent deal. Will report back but I presume the current offers to new customers are out of bounds for any existing customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

jay0109 wrote: »
    About to go into the last month of my contract. Currently on 6 months 1/2 price, 6 months full at €90 for basic tv package + 240mb bband + phone which I never use.
    Hate the thought of the annual dance with them trying to get a decent deal. Will report back but I presume the current offers to new customers are out of bounds for any existing customers?

They'll offer you €15 off your bill for 9 months, that's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Whats the email used to advise them to cancel contract? Exactly 30 days today so just want to get it in to them and then start shopping around.

Edit : end up calling 1908 and got it done after nearly 20 minutes.
    Did try to pursuade me with a 6 months half price and 6 months full price off my current contract.
    Would work out to €111 more for the 12 months, than a new customer, and does not include sky sports/cinema.
    Will get my wife to sign up as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I placed an order last year on 24 October for the revised offer they gave me then. I have a copy of that email on 24th October 2018.

I was on live chat earlier to cancel my account as of course, the offer they made me to stay is terrible. But they are saying I cannot cancel before 21/11/19 which is in effect the 13th month since my new deal started. The Agent was adamant about this.

How can this be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

jay0109 wrote: »
    I placed an order last year on 24 October for the revised offer they gave me then. I have a copy of that email on 24th October 2018.

I was on live chat earlier to cancel my account as of course, the offer they made me to stay is terrible. But they are saying I cannot cancel before 21/11/19 which is in effect the 13th month since my new deal started. The Agent was adamant about this.

How can this be?

i follow you on this as its a bit tricky as VM does charge at different days, i believe each customer, as last year ive managed to call almost over month early and one put me down on deal for begging of month, so no gaps in transition.

that said its not hard to calculate your exact end date, pull up billing details for 12months and see where new contract kicked in- day half payment was taken out, and count 12 payments from that to your end of contract day. as seen in my case even thou it seem im out in september reality is even if paid im still in contact till October 7th.
    already paid for but contract ends on 7/10/19 in my ex.
    vm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

5ghz hasnt worked since this "Upgrade"

I split the 2.4ghz and 5 ghz giving them slightly different names. I use only the N (2.4Ghz) and AC (on 5Ghz) standards. I also disabled the smart wifi in settings. Devices in the house are only connected to one or the other signal or over ethernet. I haven't had too many issues since to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Ohh my there cancelling department is shocking

Contract is up in a months time. So trying to get a deal from them as not paying 94 euros a month for it.

Got told I am a lair about sky's offer, Siro isn't 1gb and there's is better then siro. Telling me that I will get 350mb witless on a 350mb line, guy was very checky and when I asked for a superviser he laughed at me. Saying not giveing you one at all as no reasons to give you one.

Going to sky as not putting up with that.

Ohh my there cancelling department is shocking

Contract is up in a months time. So trying to get a deal from them as not paying 94 euros a month for it.

Got told I am a lair about sky's offer, Siro isn't 1gb and there's is better then siro. Telling me that I will get 350mb witless on a 350mb line, guy was very checky and when I asked for a superviser he laughed at me. Saying not giveing you one at all as no reasons to give you one.

Going to sky as not putting up with that.

Waiting til 00:01 tomorrow morning to provide 30day cancellation. Offered to pay out rest of contract last month but they insisted that notice can only be given 30days before contract end to avoid the cancellation charge. Be delighted to be finished with them

I don't blame you 4 years with them and my god they way they speak to you stinks.

If i spoke to someone like that in work I be in HR still here laughing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Handed in my notice there for contract end in November - they accepted it even though it was greater than 30 days (without penalty) and I got the email etc.

Since 2010 I’ve been doing the annual phone call and getting 6 months half price but this year she said they aren’t offering it as I had it too much.

The wife signed up on the new deal there and both sets of equipment are working away. Ok there’ll be a month overlap but still cheaper on an annual basis. I bet I’ll get a call in a few weeks offering me the 6 months half price. I resent the annual dance to be honest.

Does anyone have any idea what % of subscribers pay full whack? I’d say the people here are a lot more clued in than the average user.

Thomas wrote: »
    Handed in my notice there for contract end in November - they accepted it even though it was greater than 30 days (without penalty) and I got the email etc.

Since 2010 I’ve been doing the annual phone call and getting 6 months half price but this year she said they aren’t offering it as I had it too much.

The wife signed up on the new deal there and both sets of equipment are working away. Ok there’ll be a month overlap but still cheaper on an annual basis. I bet I’ll get a call in a few weeks offering me the 6 months half price. I resent the annual dance to be honest.

Does anyone have any idea what % of subscribers pay full whack? I’d say the people here are a lot more clued in than the average user.

i thought the same since only ever managed to get 6mo for last 4-5 years, but couple weeks after cancelled got a call and one said 9mo on current plan as use only BB360, asked couple times if i heard correctly but got it in contract email. not sure if because been long with em or that my area is live on SIRO now, thus a lot more options.

id say good chunk pay full price - for most its like any other bill, as long as it doesn't double most are willing to pay without much questioning.

Thou if people call for deals like OP above - with rude rep, think best route is to be stone cold and say just cancelling, otherwise even last year was a drag to get half price from VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

My contract will end in October therefore I will give them a call and see if they can offer at least 6 months half price. I have been getting at least 6 months half price for the past 5 years or so, therefore based on some of the replies above they might just say no. Will probably consider moving to another provider if I can get a better deal somewhere else.

Spoke to them on chat and they told me that 59p/m for broadband is the lowest that they can offer. They didn't offer any discount.

I will try later on the phone and will go ahead and cancel if they don't offer any discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I can give my notice on the 8th of next month. I was on half price for 6 months with 240mb and anytime world calls. If I don't get a similar offer I will be leaving. From looking at the posts above it looks like I will be going.

• Advertisement

Amouar wrote: »
    Spoke to them on chat and they told me that 59p/m for broadband is the lowest that they can offer. They didn't offer any discount.

I will try later on the phone and will go ahead and cancel if they don't offer any discount.

chat is useless as think its outsourced so no chance of em giving you any deal.

as for phone see few people saying to call in for deal, once they get em calls going they catch up, instead go with putting in cancellation - that will def change topic and more likely they will try to offer smth, where you can then counter with other ISPs etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They gave me 6 months half price on a 12 month contract, long time customer. Same offer for the last four years now.

I'm on the 240MB / full house TV package and decided to stay on it after they offered 500MB for an extra couple of euro a month. They let slip that my current package should be up for a price increase in the New Year so hopefully I'll get another six months half price at that stage when I have the option to cancel.

They gave me 6 months half price on a 12 month contract, long time customer. Same offer for the last four years now.

I'm on the 240MB / full house TV package and decided to stay on it after they offered 500MB for an extra couple of euro a month. They let slip that my current package should be up for a price increase in the New Year so hopefully I'll get another six months half price at that stage when I have the option to cancel.

Did you just told them that you were not happy with the price and wanted to cancel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Amouar wrote: »
    Did you just told them that you were not happy with the price and wanted to cancel?

I rang them a week before my 30 day cancellation window and I was told the absolute best they could do is give me €15 off. Told them I'd be ringing back to cancel the service and when I rang back today I was straight up offered 6 months half price.

I pushed for 9 months half price but they said they wouldn't be able to give any of those out until around Christmas.

Just off the phone with them now. Managed to get 6 months half price aswell. Tried to also push for 9 months but he said that 6 months was the best he could offer. I'm happy with that and will ring again around Christmas if they decide to increase the price :D

Interesting if like Sierra said they will put in another price increase stunt cant imagine that being well with many customers, specially those who have to pay full price, thou only good benefit it leaves one open to move without issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I got 9 months half price last time whats the chances of that this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Currently out of contract & paying 59.50 per month which is prohibitive; it's for "240 MB" Broadband (and think Phone option included; I don't avail of this option but they seem to bundle things so customer hasn't a choice as such).

Got offered 6 months at 44 & then 59 for 6; I'd be saving 90 Euro.

When I asked was that best they could do the call taker tried offer me a SIM Card......

Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

torrevieja wrote: »
    I got 9 months half price last time whats the chances of that this time ?

Pressed them for 9m half price when I renewed at the start of September. No joy wouldn't budge from 6m.

• Advertisement

Yah I done my proper cancel call as I have signed up for sky and have my TV and siro fit date booked.

Best they would offer is 1/2 price for 6 months then back to nearly 100 euros a month.

I am happy to be leaveing as sky to me has the better box and I hope siro is good.

Advertisement