Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just get someone else in the house to sign up as a new subscriber and you'll get the cheaper offers.

Wish that was an option, but my housemates are useless. Asked them before and no one was interested in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Just get someone else in the house to sign up as a new subscriber and you'll get the cheaper offers.

Wish that was an option, but my housemates are useless. Asked them before and no one was interested in doing it.
    If they've no interest in helping then they should have zero say if you want to move, can't have the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Offers I got offered to stay were awful so cancelled after telling him I was gonna sign up in girlfriends name he said there was a cooling off period after cancelling of 30 days where I couldn’t resubscribe.
    They never called to offer anything so cancellation went through. Day it cancelled I went on site and signed up as a new customer, there’s a box where they ask you how long you’ve lived in your place and I said <1 year.
    Ordered the new box to parcel motel, had to return the old box so dropped it into the same PM when I was picking up the new one. Success. 100 channels + 240mb internet 54 Euro for 12 months.

So how long were you without service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Anyone with a TV/Phone/Broadband bundle been able to get them to pricematch the new customer offers?

Nope, the best I could get was "Half price" for 9 months - €49.50 then €79 for the final three of a 12 month contract.

It took A LOT of persuasion on the phone ... when initially the absolute best I could get was 67.50 per month for 12 months.

Nope, the best I could get was "Half price" for 9 months - €49.50 then €79 for the final three of a 12 month contract.

It took A LOT of persuasion on the phone ... when initially the absolute best I could get was 67.50 per month for 12 months.

How long ago did you get offered this? Tomorrow was my cut-off day so I rang up this morning to accept the offer they gave me when I asked to cancel a month ago (€49.50 for 6 months) and they told me that offer was gone. Best they could offer me was €63.50 for 9 months :mad:

• Advertisement

How long ago did you get offered this? Tomorrow was my cut-off day so I rang up this morning to accept the offer they gave me when I asked to cancel a month ago (€49.50 for 6 months) and they told me that offer was gone. Best they could offer me was €63.50 for 9 months :mad:

I web chat to their team for 2 hours one day at work ... (it was a slow day). then that was when they offered me 49.50 for 6 months, 79 for 6. I called the cancellation team, explained that I wanted to move to Eir (I have mobile with them). The lad on the phone offered the 49.50 for 6 months, and I wouldn't bite. So i basically said, "it's like this, unless you can offer me something better I'm going to cancel, you're offering an amazing deal for new customers, but can't show any loyalty to existing customers by either matching that deal or offering something similar" So the guy just said, how does 9 months at 49.50 sound? You gotta be able to tell them to stop spewing out their bull when they're talking about how great their broadband is :pac::pac:

I web chat to their team for 2 hours one day at work ... (it was a slow day). then that was when they offered me 49.50 for 6 months, 79 for 6. I called the cancellation team, explained that I wanted to move to Eir (I have mobile with them). The lad on the phone offered the 49.50 for 6 months, and I wouldn't bite. So i basically said, "it's like this, unless you can offer me something better I'm going to cancel, you're offering an amazing deal for new customers, but can't show any loyalty to existing customers by either matching that deal or offering something similar" So the guy just said, how does 9 months at 49.50 sound? You gotta be able to tell them to stop spewing out their bull when they're talking about how great their broadband is :pac::pac:

In fairness, I've been there and done that last month. Told them I could save €360 a year moving to Eir or Sky. He kept going on about the broadband, I told him no one in the house is doing anything extreme online; 100mb with Eir or Sky would do us.

I also said unless he could come up with an offer approaching the €360 I'd save a year by moving (or indeed getting the new customer deal from VM) then to cancel it. Best he could come up with was €49.50 for 6 months so I told him to cancel. I've waited a full month and no call back so I had to get onto them today or be cut off tomorrow, only to be told the €49.50 offer is gone.

So what I'd really like to know is is the €49.50 offer gone (has anyone been offered this in the last week or so) or as I suspect, was the girl this morning filling me with ****.

In fairness, I've been there and done that last month. Told them I could save €360 a year moving to Eir or Sky. He kept going on about the broadband, I told him no one in the house is doing anything extreme online; 100mb with Eir or Sky would do us.

I also said unless he could come up with an offer approaching the €360 I'd save a year by moving (or indeed getting the new customer deal from VM) then to cancel it. Best he could come up with was €49.50 for 6 months so I told him to cancel. I've waited a full month and no call back so I had to get onto them today or be cut off tomorrow, only to be told the €49.50 offer is gone.

So what I'd really like to know is is the €49.50 offer gone (has anyone been offered this in the last week or so) or as I suspect, was the girl this morning filling me with ****.

Just re-sign up tomorrow then as a new customer, or get someone else in the house to sign up? I remember the days of Sky TV, and just put my name as first and middle name as name. I also flat out asked them "IS VIRGIN MEDIA HAPPY TO LOSE A CUSTOMER, BECAUSE YOU WON'T MATCH THIS DEAL" - to which they replied, the broadband is so fast, bla bla bla... I said to the guy on the phone Lucky, "That's not what I asked you, it's a simple yes or no answer' and I kept repeating it, until I got what I wanted. Or ask them, if they were in your position, what would they do? Would they be happy with the terrible offer or would they move to a competitor? That usually ruffles their feathers.

I just cancelled VM after over 5 years with upc/virgin, sent an email to cancel@virginmedia.ie stating account number etc, they cancelled it as they are legally obliged to but took another payment after cancellation, just a warning to anyone cancelling with them to also cancel d-debit or they will keep taking the payments, as if they didn't charge enough as it was! going with Eir at half the price for 12 months & 2/3 of VM price after first year - with more sports channels - should be called Virgin Mafia!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I just cancelled VM after over 5 years with upc/virgin, sent an email to cancel@virginmedia.ie stating account number etc, they cancelled it as they are legally obliged to but took another payment after cancellation, just a warning to anyone cancelling with them to also cancel d-debit or they will keep taking the payments, as if they didn't charge enough as it was! going with Eir at half the price for 12 months & 2/3 of VM price after first year - with more sports channels - should be called Virgin Mafia!

In this era of SEPA direct debits- all you have to do is reverse the direct debit- and its up to them to dispute it- not you. May as well sort out their own mess- its not your job to do so.

• Advertisement

all you have to do is reverse the direct debit

Thanks for that info - is that something you can do online do you know? don't think I'd have the guts tbh, last thing I want is one of their debt collectors after me..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Just got 9 months @ 44 and 3 months @ 59 for 240mb broadband & phone, the same as I got last year bar the final 3 months being 3 quid more expensive. Got it fairly quickly over their webchat, much handier than ringing them and being stuck on hold for an age. The first offer was a derisory 54 for 12 months with a 30 activation charge (for broadband only), followed by 52.50 for 12 months for broadband/phone followed by the offer I took. The sooner FTTH comes to urban areas and introduces some real broadband competition to Virgin the better so we can stop doing this yearly song & dance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for that info - is that something you can do online do you know? don't think I'd have the guts tbh, last thing I want is one of their debt collectors after me..

Here is a link to your rights under the dd system.

SEPA Consumer (Debtor) Rights

Under the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme Rules and SEPA Regulation 260-2012 consumers can:
    • Use a single account to pay a SEPA Direct Debit in any SEPA country
    • Instruct their bank to refuse a SEPA Direct Debit
    • Prohibit the application of any SEPA Direct Debit to their bank accounts
    • Specify creditors who may collect SEPA Direct Debits from their bank accounts
    • Specify creditors who may not collect SEPA Direct Debits from their bank accounts
    • Limit a SEPA Direct Debit collection to a certain amount and/or period
    • Request a refund for any SEPA Direct Debit within eight weeks from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from their account. Within the eight week period their bank must refund on a ‘no-questions asked basis’

You just ask your bank to refund the dd amount. And then pay VM the amount they are due for the actual service provided up to the cancellation date. Then you will not owe them anything.

While this refund system is one of the good aspects of the dd system there is no proper complaints system at all which is a huge weakness and really a disgrace. One of the purpose of the direct debit system is to allow the payment of bills in a convenient manner. The dd system was never intended to allow companies like VM to debit amounts that the customer is not due to pay at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

dub45 wrote: »
    While this refund system is one of the good aspects of the dd system there is no proper complaints system at all which is a huge weakness and really a disgrace.

As I found out several years ago when an ICT company (not VM) debited my account erroneously (turns out they did this to dozens or hundreds of customers at the time). I went down the formal complaint route which ended with the BPFI or whatever body at the time had "oversight" just giving up as the offending company just started ignoring their communication.
    There was no sanction, nothing they could do, in the face of incontrovertible evidence they had taken direct debits wrongly.
    The offending company hence just didn't care.

I assume this is why companies continue to debit amounts they know they are not entitled to as many customers will not bother to chase them for refunds or just give up in the face of obfuscation & delay.

As it happens, I was a VM broadband customer for years. They could not care less that I would leave given their price rise again this year. I gave my 30 days notice. They never called in the 30 days & I had Vodafone Gigabit installed the day my VM service ended. I'm owed a small refund too for credit left on my closed account. I've emailed them regarding this - no reply as yet.

There has been a sea change in their retention policy IMO & they are not too interested in offering attractive deals to keep loyal customers.

Neither have they called to collect their equipment but have had the audacity to send me text messages threatening charges if I don't go to a Parcel Motel somewhere to deliver to them their equipment.......:eek:

Here is a link to your rights under the dd system.

Thanks for that info! I cancelled on the 11th of Jan, they took payment on 5th Feb & then cut off service on the 7th so I am due most of the month back, I'll do the math and apply for refund, never realised you could do that, good to know..

Thanks for that info! I cancelled on the 11th of Jan, they took payment on 5th Feb & then cut off service on the 7th so I am due most of the month back, I'll do the math and apply for refund, never realised you could do that, good to know..

Glad to be of help. There are serious flaws in the DD system and people are far too trusting of it. In particular customers are entitled to 14 days advance notice of any intention to debit - this is a key part of the system but all parties are complicit in keeping it a secret - absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

customers are entitled to 14 days advance notice of any intention to debit - this is a key part of the system

Or just 7 days, or even less!

From BPFI:
    Advance notice of the date and the amount of each direct debit must be provided by the Creditor. The advance notice period is generally fourteen days, or in some cases seven days or less if agreed by all parties, before the direct debit is applied

From my previous complaint experience, large companies can circumvent the 14 day notice period, they have some "fast track" status.

Kramer wrote: »
    Or just 7 days, or even less!

From BPFI:

From my previous complaint experience, large companies can circumvent the 14 day notice period, they have some "fast track" status.

The 7 days or less is only by agreement.

If you check out the scheme rules there is no fast track status mentioned.
    The direct debit processes respect the following time-cycle rules:

• The Pre-notification must be sent by the Creditor at the latest 14 Calendar
    Days before the Due Date unless another time-line is agreed between the
    Debtor and the Creditor.

I don't want to be hijacking the thread but I think it is important for everyone to understand the basics of the scheme and in particular the downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

KingCong wrote: »
    So how long were you without service?

Less than 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Darby_321

Just rang there to cancel my deal which was the naked 240mb broadband and told her i could switch to the vodafone gigabit service for 420 for the year. she finally offered me 29.50 for 9 months and 59 for the last 3 months which works out to 442.50 for the year which is a good offer. She would have to upgrade my package to include phone but that is ok. Now i am just wondering have many people switched over to the vodafone gigabit broadband and what do they make of it? I have heard some people say that the speeds are inconsistent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Cheers!

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Just rang there to cancel my deal which was the naked 240mb broadband and told her i could switch to the vodafone gigabit service for 420 for the year. she finally offered me 29.50 for 9 months and 59 for the last 3 months which works out to 442.50 for the year which is a good offer. She would have to upgrade my package to include phone but that is ok. Now i am just wondering have many people switched over to the vodafone gigabit broadband and what do they make of it? I have heard some people say that the speeds are inconsistent on it.

That's a great offer, I'm after cancelling but the best they can offer me to continue is €44 for 9 months & €54 for 3 months...is there anything you said that swung the additional discount???
    Thanks!

Cheers! wrote: »
    That's a great offer, I'm after cancelling but the best they can offer me to continue is €44 for 9 months & €54 for 3 months...is there anything you said that swung the additional discount???
    Thanks!

I told her i couldnt take the offer of €44 for 9 months & €54 for 3 months because i could save around €140 switching to different company. Waited for her response saying that other companies werent as fast as the 240mb they were offering me. Told her vodafone is offering the 1GB broadband at much cheaper rates and although she tried to play it down to say its inconsistent, i still said for the price its worth trying it out. I wasnt expecting her to offer me the deal she did but she just said then that they would match the price vodafone offering.
    I think it depends on who you get on the phone. Are you on the naked 240mb offer or in a bundle?

I told her i couldnt take the offer of €44 for 9 months & €54 for 3 months because i could save around €140 switching to different company. Waited for her response saying that other companies werent as fast as the 240mb they were offering me. Told her vodafone is offering the 1GB broadband at much cheaper rates and although she tried to play it down to say its inconsistent, i still said for the price its worth trying it out. I wasnt expecting her to offer me the deal she did but she just said then that they would match the price vodafone offering.
    I think it depends on who you get on the phone. Are you on the naked 240mb offer or in a bundle?

Brilliant thanks for that, we called today and they offered the 29.50 but only for 6 months as we are only with them over the year. They said the 9 months is only for customers that are with them longer, so I suppose we'll go with that! Thanks for your help!

Cheers! wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks for that, we called today and they offered the 29.50 but only for 6 months as we are only with them over the year. They said the 9 months is only for customers that are with them longer, so I suppose we'll go with that! Thanks for your help!

Hmm i am only with them for just the year also. Ah well at least you got a better deal

Hmm i am only with them for just the year also. Ah well at least you got a better deal

Good to know!!! I'll be back on to them!! 🙄
    Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Had Naked Broadband for just over a year. Emailed in a cancellation request. Received auto response and nothing else. No attempt to keep me as a customer.

Due to be cut off on Tuesday. Rang up today to ask about returning router - the guy asked why I was leaving and I said it was cost. Best he could do was €44 for 9 months then €54 for 3. Asked him for 6 months half price but he said wasn't possible.

Looks like I'll be leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

While I didn't threaten to quit I did ask what was best price as I'm out of contract and paying 59.50 per month for BB.

12 month contract for 52.50.....bit underwhelming to be honest!

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    While I didn't threaten to quit I did ask what was best price as I'm out of contract and paying 59.50 per month for BB.

12 month contract for 52.50.....bit underwhelming to be honest!

Are you in an area where you can get maybe vodafone siro or Eir 100mb broadband? If you can use that against them. Look up the prices they offering and work out how much it would cost you a year with each of them. Tell them you cannot justify paying X amount more for their internet when you can get 100mb from eir which would do you fine or 1Gb from vodafone which is faster.

I told them im not going paying over 200 euro more to stay with them than their competition and that worked to get a good deal, see can they change your plan to maybe include phone also, doesnt make much difference to you but then they can offer you better deals when you have a bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Rang yesterday and they offered to bring it for 64 down to 49 for 9 months, and upgrade me from the 240mb to 500mb.

Suits me as I had no intentions of leaving just wanted to reduced price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭baldbear

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Rang yesterday and they offered to bring it for 64 down to 49 for 9 months, and upgrade me from the 240mb to 500mb.

Suits me as I had no intentions of leaving just wanted to reduced price.

Were you paying €64 for just broadband? Currently i'm paying €59 for just broadband,240mb. Robbed. I Have to ring them.

So rang them & told them I'm shopping around. The best they said they could offer me was €10 off for 6 months. I'm on 240mb naked package & currently paying €58.99 so I said I'd cancel & go to Sky as I would save approx €300 with them . Got the spiel about it takes them time to set up,activation fee & speeds aren't as quick. I said I'd chance them anyway as the savings were so good. Hope they ring me back because I don't really want the hassle of leaving

Advertisement