Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Another 7.5% increase from this shower of robbers. As the poster said, bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got notification of an increase. Im supposed to be on a 12 month at €49 till January. I'll be in touch with them to get a better renewal deal or off to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭raclle

The increases will never stop and their c/s is shocking. Being with these guys years but calling it a day. I only want BB so when I join someone else do they simply take over the line or install a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Is pure telecom good ? Any views ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

raclle wrote: »
    The increases will never stop and their c/s is shocking. Being with these guys years but calling it a day. I only want BB so when I join someone else do they simply take over the line or install a new one?
    new line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

got the price i rise notification also €3.50.

Can the spouse join again as a new customer even though they cancelled the contract last December (so I could get the introductory offer)…...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Issue is there are no good deals as new customers either!! No half price etc...so it's not worth the hassle to be honest !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭raclle

Is there a thread anywhere specifically for telecommunications deals only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Didn't get an increase notice but if it comes I'll be paying over 60 euro pm for a BB speed that I really couldn't tell the difference for what I use it for between 10mb and over 200 whatever it is and phone that has never been in use....it's going past the point of not being justifiable anymore

Have only ever rang up once to get a deal and that was for 6 months.........I'll be looking elsewhere and the cancel will be real

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Do all the other providers need a physical phone line? We tried to get sky BB when we moved in but the telephone line disappears when it enters the house and they’d need to take off skirtings and potentially some plaster to find it so we went with VM but would love to change away from them as sick of the price increases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Yet to receive my notice of €3.50 price increase; am out of contract so can cancel immediately but currently paying €59.50 so that'll be €63 for 240 MB BB.....just did an Ookla Speedtest using Ethernet Cable (VM recommend this always to get best speeds; it kind of defeats point of Wi-Fi.......) & got 9 Ping, 79.06 D/L & 24.01 U/L......not great returns.

Only saving grace is I'm the only one pulling from it & amn't a gamer etc.

But 63's a bit too steep; neighbours got in Vodafone in Springtime so might suss them out.

Previously the best I got when ringing VM up was 52 a month for 6 months then back up to 59.50 but to even do that it means going back into a 12 month contract......

I get the feeling there's zero competition in the market. It suits all companies to just raise the price to increase profits rather than compete.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Do all the other providers need a physical phone line? We tried to get sky BB when we moved in but the telephone line disappears when it enters the house and they’d need to take off skirtings and potentially some plaster to find it so we went with VM but would love to change away from them as sick of the price increases

Some of the others - like 'Imagine' for example, use options other than wired- and some who have wired options have 4G fallbacks (such as Vodafone).

That new mobile phone package from Eircon- GoMo- has 80Gb of 4G broadband goodness per month- for a tenner- so if you're not downloading mad ISOs and are happy enough without the lowest pings- it might be an option.

Best option- if its available- is of course SIRO.

Suffice to say- there are alternates out there- and you'd be mad not to investigate what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SBSwords

I'm with VM for 240MB BB & Phone.

Was on the 9month (€29.50) half price offer & just out of contract again so got onto them again.

Best I could get this time was '9months €15 Loyalty discount' so €47 for 9months and then €62 for last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

Rang this Morning, 240digital max &anytime mobile, 2 multi rooms and one sky sports. Total €124 for 12 months, with no price increase?

Is this good, or do I need to make a few more calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ionapaul wrote: »
    Got the same offer earlier in the week; called up to cancel, said I was going to SIRO and might even be back with Virgin again in a year's time, but wanted the one year introductory offer, etc... The guy offered me 6 months 1/2 price (€58 > €29) first time, said I wouldn't get a better offer from Virgin so agreed to it. Call told 5 mins total, better than previous years haggling and messing :)
    Does SIRO mean going with Sky or are there other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

I'm guessing typing siro.ie into a web browser would answer that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I’ve signed up with Vodafone. €25 for the first 6 months and then €50 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

I got offered 6 months @ €29.50, then back to €64 plus €3.50 hike coming. Cancelling, going with Siro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭baldbear

Got 6 months at €29.50 & then €59 for 6. Took it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can I just check are you doing this via 1908 or chat? thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

baldbear wrote: »
    Got 6 months at €29.50 & then €59 for 6. Took it.

Did they confirm that offer to you in writing as they offered me a similar deal but on the new prices after January.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

pc7 wrote: »
    Can I just check are you doing this via 1908 or chat? thanks.

1908 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I'm in a "live chat" now with VM trying to cancel my subscription on the back of the ongoing price increases.

Have been on the chat since 11:20, at 11:28 the first agent said they'd transfer me to a colleague. At 11:48, I was still waiting. I cancelled the chat and started a new one at 11:49. The second agent said at 12:01 they're also transferring me to a colleague.

So in 50+ minutes of being in the chat, they haven't taken my cancellation order, twice I've been transferred and twice I've been left waiting in limbo for someone else to handle it.

I find it laughable that Virgin Media have the gumption to continuously raise their prices, without improving their customer service levels or the TV service.

If the service was good, I could live with the price increase, but the TV box is rubbish, one of the worst UIs I've used in a very long time, so slow and laggy.

They're really hurting themselves in this market, Sky and Vodafone's offerings are better and cheaper. VM need to wake up and smell the coffee.

If anyone is thinking of choosing VM, don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Looking at the Vodafone deal €25 for first 6 months then €45 after. Cant find a UAN number on my VM bills. Would the VM account number do for changing provider ? Anyone in the Ashbourne area on Vodafone and whats the service like?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

pissed wrote: »
    Looking at the Vodafone deal €25 for first 6 months then €45 after. Cant find a UAN number on my VM bills. Would the VM account number do for changing provider ? Anyone in the Ashbourne area on Vodafone and whats the service like?

if you are changing to the open eir network it's a different process for VM.

you will be issued with a temp number - then the retail operator will send the request to VM to change the number over.

just make sure new account is in the same name as the VM one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭baldbear

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Did they confirm that offer to you in writing as they offered me a similar deal but on the new prices after January.

Yeah. Got confirmation email. Was going to go to Vodafone. They offered €15 off month for 9 months first. I got that offer last year so wasn't impressed.

Then offered me the half price 6 months. Happy with the service but the price increases and haggling every year is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

correct as of August 27th 2019 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

got the 3.50 for nothing increase email. wonder will this be valid if i went trough cancellation and onto new contract with them, past that date ? or will there be surprise pay up come new year :confused:

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    correct as of August 27th 2019 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

got the 3.50 for nothing increase email. wonder will this be valid if i went trough cancellation and onto new contract with them, past that date ? or will there be surprise pay up come new year :confused:

Is there any deal for new contract?

Advertisement