Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jaypea1

Do you cancel on the phone? Or do you have to it in writing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jaypea1 wrote: »
    Do you cancel on the phone? Or do you have to it in writing?

Phone. 1908.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jaypea1

Thanks.
    My contract is up since yesterday. Will ring to cancel and rejoin in other half's name to get new contract price of €49 a month.
    I got very little discount last year, €15 off for 6 months only.
    So will try this new workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Rang up during the week, the guy offered something crap initially like €10 off for 6 months, told him to cancel. He said he'd speak with his supervisor and before he left I told him he'd want something approaching the €360 I'd save switching to Eir or Sky.

He came back with an offer of €50 for 6 months (~ €30 discount a month), but I told him it wasn't good enough and to go ahead and cancel. I'm in a rented property so Sky isn't an option with the dish unfortunately. Think I'll chance Eir, as long as the internet isn't terrible, their TV offering can't be any worse than the Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Rang up during the week, the guy offered something crap initially like €10 off for 6 months, told him to cancel. He said he'd speak with his supervisor and before he left I told him he'd want something approaching the €360 I'd save switching to Eir or Sky.

He came back with an offer of €50 for 6 months (~ €30 discount a month), but I told him it wasn't good enough and to go ahead and cancel. I'm in a rented property so Sky isn't an option with the dish unfortunately. Think I'll chance Eir, as long as the internet isn't terrible, their TV offering can't be any worse than the Horizon box.

Did they accept your cancellation?

If not, ring again and cancel, saying it costs too much ... I have previously been offered 6 Months HP, held offer , rang back to cancel and got 9 Months

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Rang them, chat and email. They never ever rang me. They did the last time. They didn't this time.

Best I could get elsewhere is 30 BB only for 12 months. I wouldn't be sure of the quality of connection with other services.

My offer was 44*9 then 59*3. Wouldn't give me any better on BB. best I was offered on TV & BB was 20 off for 3 months. No other others. Paid full price last year, previous year was half price. So I dropped TV and dropped from 109 to 44. I'd have kept TV if it was offered for 50. But it never was. Still 60 is significant saving. Theres 14 days cooling off. I still might try Sky for 30. But I know the speeds will be a lot less then 70mb advertised.

TBH I want to try freetoair for while. We watch very little TV. The Horizon box is just dire. Hopefully next year we'll have 1GB Fibre as an option which is currently 40.

Beauf, FrreView is great , all Channel 4, Channel 5 , BBC , ITV and other channels for kids etc .... more than enough

You should ring them again, give them another chance ... offers change depending on times you ring ..

4real wrote: »
    cancelled on the 11th, got a call today offering me 49.50 a month for 12 months on tv(basic) broadband (240mb)
    couldnt argue with that so just accepted it.
    anyone waiting for a call just wait they will definitely ring you back. my cancellation date was 2nd Feb.

Thanks for that 4Real

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭tomfoolery60

CFC1969 wrote: »
    Beauf, FrreView is great , all Channel 4, Channel 5 , BBC , ITV and other channels for kids etc .... more than enough

You should ring them again, give them another chance ... offers change depending on times you ring ..

I'm up early February after giving notice - you just rang back to see what offers they had did you?

Did they accept your cancellation?

If not, ring again and cancel, saying it costs too much ... I have previously been offered 6 Months HP, held offer , rang back to cancel and got 9 Months

Yeah they accepted the cancellation on that call, got the email about it. Won't be officially cancelled until Feb 14th. I could tell by the attitude of the guy on the phone as soon as I rang that he wasn't going to give too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I did the offers were worse.

I'm happy to try free2air. Once I've got that set up I doubt I'll go back to any TV service.

Yeah they accepted the cancellation on that call, got the email about it. Won't be officially cancelled until Feb 14th. I could tell by the attitude of the guy on the phone as soon as I rang that he wasn't going to give too much.

They may have goals to hit, and after that they become tougher to deal with ....

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

They may have goals to hit, and after that they become tougher to deal with ....

Rang today to cancel, told them I was moving to a competitor for €35. They asked about what previous deals I had received from VM which were 6 months last year and 9 months in 2017.

Really nice chap on the phone, went through his script I’m BB only and that’s what I wanted to stick with. I use saorview/freesat and Netflix etc..

Was offered 9 months at €44 and the €59 for remaining 3 months with option to cancel in the 12th month.

Happy with that deal as I’ve poor experience others have had. Also as a added bonus they offered me 4 months free Virgin mobile on a 30 days sim only plan to which providers from the current sim plan I’m on. So over all a very nice saving of roughly

€135 broadband

€100 mobile :)

€235 total.

Thank you all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mick8

Last year I got 9 months half price on 240 broadband but only 6 months this year:/ I spent around 30 mins on the phone with loyalty team but no luck, I told them about vodafone 1GB offer 20e for 6 months then 55e for the rest 6 months but they really diden’t care if I wanted to cancel then go ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

mick8 wrote: »
    Last year I got 9 months half price on 240 broadband but only 6 months this year:/ I spent around 30 mins on the phone with loyalty team but no luck, I told them about vodafone 1GB offer 20e for 6 months then 55e for the rest 6 months but they really diden’t care if I wanted to cancel then go ahead..

you should have cancelled and then waited for their phone call. they would give you pretty much anything you want on that call but this also depends on how long you are a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

Slightly off topic but just how bad is their Horizon box compared to Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

keng66 wrote: »

About 10-15 years worth of development behind sky Q.
    vs shy hd box more like 2-5 years.

in other words not even in the same league, while i do have a horizon box myself I rarely use it, in fact i use the sky go from my parents sky
    account through my laptop more than the horizon box. Main reason i stay is the broadband is the best i can get at the moment. If i could get ftth
    from sky i would swap it all over in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

If I cancel tomorrow, will my service be cut off exactly 30 days from tomorrow? Or do you lose service before the 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jamescd wrote: »
    If I cancel tomorrow, will my service be cut off exactly 30 days from tomorrow? Or do you lose service before the 30 days?
    Mine went an hour or two before the full time was up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jamescd wrote: »

Yes it should be cut off 30 days from the cancellation date but it is not unknown for VM to cancel services before the nominated date.

People cancelling should be careful about VM’s billing practices for customers leaving particularly if you pay by direct debit.

VM will bill and debit you, where possible, up to the end of the billing period in which your cancellation date falls even though they are fully aware you will not be in receipt of service for some of that period.

So for example lets say you give notice tomorrow and want to end service on the 5th March. Let’s say your billing period happens to be 1st to 30th March.

VM will bill and debit you to 30th March! Your final bill will show a credit but VM will not refund YOUR money unless you ask them to.

It is shameful and completely unacceptable behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone with a TV/Phone/Broadband bundle been able to get them to pricematch the new customer offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nope.

To get the best deal you have to leave.

Anyone with a TV/Phone/Broadband bundle been able to get them to pricematch the new customer offers?
    Wouldn't give me anything near a decent offer and never rang me after that. We just left and signed up in OH's name.

Crazy that. For all intents and purposes if you're out of contract you are a new customer. It would be like mobile phone companies refusing to give you an upgrade when you contract is up and forcing you to go elsewhere if you want a new phone.

Wouldn't give me anything near a decent offer and never rang me after that. We just left and signed up in OH's name.

Any hassle with that? Just off the phone with them and they wouldn't offer anything even approaching the 'new customer' prices and the discounts they offered were minuscule, so I gave them my 30 day notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

keng66 wrote: »

The thing freezes channels always
    and has a red phone box flashing saying you have connection problems the menu for channels is crap and the radio stations are awful overall rubbish

So I'm due to get cut off in the coming week. I was offered a €30 discount for 6 months when I rang to cancel about a month ago. I'd love to move to Sky but can't do the satellite dish where I'm living. The housemates are reluctant to move to Eir so looks like we'll be staying with VM :(

I got a call about a week after I arranged to cancel from VM but it just seemed to be some information gathering call about why I wanted to cancel (I said price and the terrible horizon box). It was a really quick call, the guy didn't even try to persuade me or talk about any deals, just wanted to know the reasons.

What are my chances of getting a call in the next few days would you say offering a better deal than I was initially offered?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What are my chances of getting a call in the next few days would you say offering a better deal than I was initially offered?

Probably not- they've gotten very hard-nosed- they don't seem to care that we're leaving. Fair enough- we'll leave....... SIRO here I come. I see Lucan and Maynooth are coming online for SIRO later this year- should be one way to get the hell away from Virgin Hell.........

So I'm due to get cut off in the coming week. I was offered a €30 discount for 6 months when I rang to cancel about a month ago. I'd love to move to Sky but can't do the satellite dish where I'm living. The housemates are reluctant to move to Eir so looks like we'll be staying with VM :(

I got a call about a week after I arranged to cancel from VM but it just seemed to be some information gathering call about why I wanted to cancel (I said price and the terrible horizon box). It was a really quick call, the guy didn't even try to persuade me or talk about any deals, just wanted to know the reasons.

Just get someone else in the house to sign up as a new subscriber and you'll get the cheaper offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Offers I got offered to stay were awful so cancelled after telling him I was gonna sign up in girlfriends name he said there was a cooling off period after cancelling of 30 days where I couldn’t resubscribe.
    They never called to offer anything so cancellation went through. Day it cancelled I went on site and signed up as a new customer, there’s a box where they ask you how long you’ve lived in your place and I said <1 year.
    Ordered the new box to parcel motel, had to return the old box so dropped it into the same PM when I was picking up the new one. Success. 100 channels + 240mb internet 54 Euro for 12 months.

Advertisement