Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s highlights. Presumably on a Tuesday similar to the BBC show. Anyone with an interest has already seen them online. I enjoyed the BBC show but it didn’t add much so I doubt it’s of much value to Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm... no sign of a VM Four schedule on Channel 110 on a Virgin Media box!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There will be three live games too, two of which will be exclusive (and the other will be the Super Bowl).

The highlights show (which will be on Fridays)…it’s not really aimed at those with an interest. Those with an interest have their seven hours of Scott Hanson on Sky Sports Mix on a Sunday . It’s really an advert for the NFL and American football for those curious. Tucking that away is a bad idea (for the NFL, anyway) but VM only really have this as a result of ITV picking it up so they probably don’t care too much where it goes.

On a completely different note I chuckled at the press release stating “Virgin Media Two is now clearly a youth-focused channel”. Because what the youth want is 7 hours of ITV daytime game shows tucked between cookery programmes and soap repeats.

• Advertisement

Yeah and they will be harping on about the ratings for love island for the next year. I’d say it’s the only programme that brings them such ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's crazy, they hardly have enough shows for 2 channels to consume let alone 4. I don't have VM1HD so never watch any sport whatsoever they broadcast, will always go with the UK option, they should sort that out first on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well it appeared after midnight on channel 110 with One+1 moving to 116. Oh and The Chase is airing daily.

Here is the line up for the first 2 days, I don’t have the weekend but it features The Chase , Beat the Chases, Family Fortunes, Catchphrase, repeats of Don’t look back in anger, Irelands Paramedics, repeats of shows from Thursday night aswell as UEFA and Heathrow busiest Airport

Wednesday 24th

06:10 Winning Combination

07:00 Winning Combination 

08:00 Winning Combination 

09:00 The Chase

10:00 The Chase

11:00 Paul O Grady (love of dogs)

11:30 Paul O Grady (love of dogs)

12:00 The Hotel Inspector 

13:00 Irelands Paramedics 

14:00 Storage Hunters

15:00 Don’t look back in anger

15:30 Don’t look back in anger

16:00 Posh Pawn

17:00 The Hotel Inspector (repeat from 12:00)

18:00 Irelands Paramedics (repeat from 13:00) 

19:00 Yorkshire Airport 

19:30 Yorkshire Airport 

20:00 Don’t look back in anger (repeat from 15:00)

20:30 Don’t look back in anger (repeat from 15:30)

21:00 Two Sides

22:00 The Mr Moonlight Murder

23:05 The Group Chat

00:05 Sports Stories - Kevin Doyle

01:05 Two Sides (repeat from 21:00)

Thursday 25th

06:10 Winning Combination

07:00 Winning Combination 

08:00 Winning Combination 

09:00 The Chase

10:00 The Chase

11:00 Paul O Grady (love of dogs)

11:30 Paul O Grady (love of dogs)

12:00 The Hotel Inspector 

13:00 Irelands Paramedics 

14:00 Storage Hunters

15:00 Don’t look back in anger

15:30 Don’t look back in anger

16:00 Posh Pawn

17:00 The Hotel Inspector (repeat from 12:00)

18:00 Irelands Paramedics (repeat from 13:00) 

19:00 Paul O Grady (love of dogs)

19:30 Paul O Grady (love of dogs)

20:00 Don’t look back in anger (repeat from 15:00)

20:30 Don’t look back in anger (repeat from 15:30)

21:00 Two Big Interview 

22:00 Londongrad - Putins…

22:30 The Lebinside camp shamrock 

23:05 The Chase

00:05 The Group Chat

01:05 The Restaurant 

02:00 Channel off air

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Same old shite, different channel so. Is anyone surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

A Virgin Four logo has appeared on Saorview Channel 7 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Label updated to Virgin Media 4 and EPG has populated with programmes starting at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's strange they are not showing the old 70's/80's shows from ITV 3,4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In 4:3 stretched too! Still incapable of getting aspect ratios correct out in Ballymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'd say that's the Saorview team as the feed from Virgin for the channel probably isn't ready/setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looks like those type of shows like Marple, Morse, Poirot, Heartbeat, Lewis, Touch Of Frost, Darling Buds, Wycliffe will stay on VM3 - which really does mimic what ITV3 show

And it makes more sense to keep them on one channel where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'd say you were right. It was a rough transition, audio first followed by a still of the ident (in 16:9 with subtitles icon). My TV then dropped back to audio only for a few seconds before coming back blocky and then normal video.

Had a look through the schedule for the next 7 days. Very much a copy of VM2 - all shows are either quizzes, factual documentaries, and then observational docs like Heathrow, Hotel Inspector, Posh Pawn, Paramedics etc..

They're starting Group Chat from Episode 1, which I think is around March 2022. Not seen any of them, but I'm sure they're very much topical of the weekly events at that time.

Weekends seem to have this 2 hour block of VM More type sports programming - classic matches (e.g. PSG v Man Utds from 5 years ago) along with CL Highlights. And then they are showing the 1965 film The Heroes Of Telemark 3 times over the weekends - Sat 7pm, Sun 2pm, Sun 8:50pm. That probably indicates how stuck they are for any type of programming and films.

Overall, it just seems the "pull a show from a hat and stick it next in the schedule" technique was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's live now on Saorview.

I use an Enigma2 receiver, and I could not initially add the channel as it thought it was a duplicate of RTE Jr. I'll need to source the logo and add it to the receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just on the NFL, I have no doubt the super bowl will be on the main channel. Maybe VM2. The London games are on sky too so not exactly exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If someone could bump the thread if they spot NFL programmes in the schedule, that'd be appreciated... seems bizarre to put NFL on it rather than VM2 given the rest of the content.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

From ITV Press Release: 

ITV kicks off its coverage on Friday September 9 with the first in a series of hour-long weekly shows, airing at 11.30pm on ITV

So I'd expect it to appear in the schedule from that date onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

Of great interest to Nfl fans.

But still minority viewing.

People can get YouTube highlights same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

An utterly pointless channel

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I say this isn’t really for NFL fans, it’s basically an advert for the sport for the more causal watcher. The fans will long have seen these games before then (and in case they hadn’t Sky are bringing in a new two hour highlights show on a Tuesday night this season).

Those London games will be exclusive though, or at least that’s my recollection - they get two and Sky gets one, and therefore they will be of interest to fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Recorded the start of VM4 yesterday. I wanted to see whether there would a continuity announcement, or anything to launch the new channel. So what did they have?

Nothing. Nothing whatsoever.

No voiceover. No announcement. No welcome. Just launched straight into Paul O'Grady.

Honestly, what is the point of this channel. It's so low effort. The 'Four' logo onscreen before the channel launched was a 4:3 image stretched into 16:9. The Image was also really compressed, with really obvious colour banding in the background.

This sounds like nit-picking - but this is supposed to be a brand new channel.

Channel launched in Ireland used to be a big deal - because we got to few of them. Maybe I'm just old......!

Dreadful. I went into their website to actually see if I could watch back the launch but Four isnt even listed as a channel on it yet.

I also rewatched the news at 5:30 from yesterday (launch day) to see what they would say about the new channel - nothing. Weirdest launch ever.

You know, it’s my assumption that a lot of people are unhappy with what VM offer. If they put VM One on HD on Saorview, I think that would win a lot of people over. It would make the world of difference for some programming- particularly sports. Surely the cost can be met at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Virgin Media One +1 moved to 116 on VM boxes, the old VM Sport slot

Advertisement