Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Zero listings anywhere, no adverts on VM, no press releases, nothing on their socials - just 1 short story from the Indo. Maybe it's possible that the start date isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

I’d say it will be on air soonish anyway as channel 7 keeps running a 2RN test card.

• Administrators Posts: 53,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They're all still celebrating over at VMTV that they've finally landed a sport that fits in with their approach to advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How do they have space for another channel? The current channels are already full of repeats. Who wants to be a millionaire is repeated 5 or 6 times it feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They'd get as many viewers by just adding another +1 channel, if they want to stretch out the same material.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It would be interesting to see if that were the case but VMTV channel get between 18% and 20% every month, I know

June saw

1 = 12%

2 = 6%

3 = 2.5%

+1 = 0.3%

total = 20.71%

RTÉ ONE +1 being the only +1 across all plaforms has 1.26% so it'd being interesting to see how vmtv one+1 would work if it was added to saorview.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Would be nice if they went into the archive a bit, and showed some older Irish stuff. (I know they never EVER will, but can always dream)

A quick look back through what they showed before could built up a decentish channel, if mixed in with a few films and sport.

The Irish versions of The Apprentice, Take Me Out, Masterchef, Bake Off, Family Fortunes, Young Dumb Living Off Mum, and other reality series like Celeb Salon, Head Chef, Tallafornia, Ireland's Oyster Clan, Newsb@g, a TikTok version of Uploaded, The Restaurant, Livin' With Lucy, Eating With The Enemy, Generation Dating, OAP B&B, Craic Den Comedy Club... Some may have aged badly though - but so has Wycliffe and that's shown on VM1 and VM3.

Documentary/Factual series like Adoption Stories, The Guards: Inside The K, Cocaine Wars, The Tenements, Our Island, Islanders, Tales Of Irish Castles, The Park, Fota, Cork Mega Port, The Joy, The Estate, Ireland's Paramedics, Assassins: Irelands Contract Killers, Jingle Jangle, Revolting Ireland, The Great Give Back, Fanning At Whelan's..

Quiz repeats like Crossfire, The Lie and Drama/Comedy like Smalltown, Darklands, The Decieved, Newsb@g, On The Couch, Holding, Red Rock

• Administrators Posts: 53,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO the Virgin TV schedule is so bad I can't understand how it even makes any money.

It has been so bad for so long that my eyes naturally just skip over it when I'm browsing the EPG, I am surely not alone on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Your definitely not. The issue is some people just have saorview so are stuck with Virgin for soaps etc. Same for those with Virgin TV, I believe they done have the full ITV channels so stuck with virgin as well

Is it safe to say that VMTV is basically a poor man’s version of itv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ITV make or commission most of what they show so Virgin Media are much worse than what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭RoTelly

VMTV ONE = should aim to provide strong local content, supported by the ITV Soaps, no real reason to axe Red Rock IMO

VMTV TWO = should aim for Sports and ITV reality TV such as LOVE ISLAND and IAACGMOOH (sports conflicts to VMTV ONE not THREE)

VMTV THREE = Repeats of ITV soaps, ITV archive and repeats of VMTV ONE, ITV programming that isn't as strong on VMTV ONE e.g. Ipress File and others

your then stretching it with FOUR AND MORE TBH, you'd be better off with +1 if you aren't planning any new content for either IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Can’t see this going ahead on Wednesday

No, I reckon it will launch in September maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm astounded that when virgin did their big upgrade for the news studio, that they went with a screen of screens. I think it looks terrible having the squares, especially for the weather. Looks like it's from the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Just before todays news at 5:30 they announced that VM4 would launch on Wednesday and a documentary about the British & Irish lions was the highlight.

Interesting to see it’s going ahead as planned. Strange there’s no tv listings anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I saw this morning that Channel 7 on Saorview has changed from RTE Junior has moved to a test card. I will be surprised if this channel launches with no testing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No pre-publicity, no promos as far as I can see. The softest of “soft launches”.

Doesn’t look like it’ll be on Sky for now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I hate the big screen they have for the news. It drives me wrong when I see it. Hopefully the new channel will be in HD on Sky. Not that I will watch it much as it will as it will be repeats like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

I know things are very different than the analogue days. But as channel launches go this takes the biscuit. Practically no mention of it anywhere. You’d think there would have been some sort of build up. An ideal time to differentiate their channels and give them some identity. But as VMTV program their existing channels by copy and paste I doubt they have the brains to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No placeholder even on their own Virgin Media platform! No mention on social media, no program guide, no placeholder on their web site - absolutely zero publicity anywhere.

Quite an impressively soft launch when they don't even create some rolling test loop.

I suppose they are still fattening up that goose for sale, one more channel to the line-up may make it sound that bit better. Viewers? Meh, nobody cares about those...

We weren’t expecting much but this takes the p!ss! You know it probably will launch at 7pm tomorrow evening or whatever time and just say welcome to VM4. Then they sit back and let the advertising revenue come in. Once they cover the carriage costs I’d presume it’s profit after that. And if they just show repeats it’s a win win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

If it's stil profitable launching a channel on Saorview you'd have to question why none of the UK Freeview channels have never launched here other than Sky News? Some even have their own Irish version with Irish ads.

Would be nice if Channel 4 added their channels to Saorview. There’s very few channels on Saorview compared to the UK’s Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Moving VM One +1 channel or getting rid off altogether I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Wonder why they’re reserving their NFL coverage to VM Four, plays right into Sky’s hands.

Advertisement