Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The Group Chat is just strange. I know my criticism is going to basically exactly what the show is, but it is just cheap filler.

The 3 sit around chatting about events (perhaps of the week) but it seem highly unresearched, and ends up just being a general chat between them, it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Started as a Podcast - 'hey why not stick it on tv' - they have no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I like it, but it's recorded on a Wednesday evening for a Thursday morning podcast as a news catchup, but isn't on TV until Thursday night when it could largely be out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I don't see it myself yet here - https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/tv-guide

No mentions in the Virgin Media Player yet either.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

They are talking about the TV Channel's website and Player, not the Virgin Media TV/Broadband company's website/app etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Saw this article on extra.ie (so take from it what you will) but “According to new EU laws, every EU broadcaster must ensure that 30% of their on-demand content and half of their daily schedule is produced in Europe.”

Imagine the implications, particularly for Virgin Media where a very large percentage of their output is from the U.K.

It would be great to see, but I think would never happen.

Crazy how VM can play up, saying that this could affect local producers and talent, yet they were happy to axe Red Rock once the British soaps returned. Happy to remove Elaine, and replace with ITVs Loose Women. Happy to shorten Ireland AM and News at 12, to make room for 150 minutes of This Morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

very good points. The Red Rock/Soaps axing was the first thing that entered my head. Like you say, can’t see it happening-VM & RTÉ would fight it all the way but it could be a good thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be honest I’d be more afraid of the wider reprucussions for choice in the Irish market; I think RTE probably has little to fear, and we could all do with a little less of The Chase at this stage from VMTV (they must show it often enough to fill an entire channel). No, I don’t think it’s those two that should be worried; I think it’s Sky, and the VM cable side. Remember that all channels on the EPG now need to have an EU license post Brexit. Many might not bother if they now have to fill content requirements. I could see a mass exodus of all of the channels not selling advertising here. I could also see even some of the channels that do leaving if the cost of complying is too large. One of the channels that would have the most problems complying and no incentive to do so would be BBC One.

What about sporting content? Is England v Ireland in Wembley, with an RTE produced and hosted by Irish presenters wrap around coverage on site, EU content? None of it is being produced in the EU but it’s an event of Irish national interest?

Yes FTA satellite is there, and Irish people would still be able to watch U.K. content that way. Don’t count on it being there for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"When quizzed if Virgin Media would possibly have to choose between the Chase and Corrie, Mr Walsh admitted that 'could very well be' the case."

I think they meant Mr Farrell and not Bradly Walsh LOL.

Both RTÉ and VM have it wrong TBH.

A few questions

If a show is largely funded from outside the EU but is filmed within the EU is this consider EU programming? e.g. if Netflix commission a Dutch series is the series Dutch or American, how do you know the funding is coming from EU consumers?

The same really can be said normal people. We can agree it is a Brit/US/Irish co-pro (I think it got something from the IFB/BSÉ), but was filmed in Ireland using local talent.

As for 30% being EU productions. VMTV ONE already has that with IRELAND AM, NEWS, CURRENT AFFAIRS AFAIK. RTÉ ONE would possibly get this through News and Independent productions.

The only outliers would be RTÉ2 which has drastically cut local programming over the last decade, and VMTV TWO, THREE and FOUR.

VMTV already choose certain TV programming over other ITV programming, they've largely choosen Soaps and repeats of Quiz shows over the idea of simucasting the quiz shows and the prime time dramas from ITV.

Yeah this is more an issue for VM On Demand, Cable channels and Sky's service.

None of the Irish broadcasters could claim that they have this issue. It just shows how little Irish programming that they air/produce.

______

Yesterday

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably because they wouldn't be able to show any ads during it, people would just switch over to the uninterrupted BBC coverage instead.

Just to maybe note a few more points on the AVMD definition of European works. Firstly, the article is wrong. Brexit didn’t automatically remove the U.K. from the definition of “European work” since it still qualifies as a signatory to the ECTT (a Council of Europe convention, not EU and we’re not party).

Secondly, what I think VMTV and RTE probably really fear is that the U.K. would retaliate by amending it’s own definition of “European work” or replacing it entirely with “U.K. work”, either way defined to exclude Ireland and Irish co-productions. (The indie sector should be really afraid on that point BTW).

Thirdly, France are the main enthusiasts but evidently did nothing about it during their recent presidency.

On the whole I think it’s probably a storm in a teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not entirely serious post... they could probably argue half their schedule was produced when the UK was in the EU and should qualify under legacy rules :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Some more live Ireland Rugby Internationals set for Virgin Media this November.

Has the broadcasting rights for the Rugby World Cup been announced yet for Ireland?

Not sure I see eir and RTÉ list on one site but not sure if that's correct, below from WIKI looks more realistic.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Do Channel 4 still have the rights for Ireland games this year or is it Prime Video?

• Advertisement

This is the second year of a two year deal giving Amazon U.K. and Ireland rights to:

in year one (2021), all Autumn Nations Series games, except for games involving Ireland

in year two (2022), all Autumn Nations Series games, except for games involving Ireland in the Republic of Ireland

The reason was that the IRFU’s previous deals with RTE and Channel 4 ran on to 2021, and they wanted to go ahead with the centralisation in 2021 without waiting.

Now I had thought RTE had retained 2022 rights for Ireland in ROI, but obviously I was wrong on that front.

Not clear how long this deal is to run for but I note it includes two non-Test matches the rights for which would have been sold by the IRFU/Munster Rugby rather than Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭political analyst

'New EU laws' were mentioned in the extra.ie article - so what has that Council of Europe convention got to do with them?

Directive 13/2010/EU (the Audiovisual Media Services Directive”, Article 1(1)(n):

”n) ‘European works’ means the following:

(i)works originating in Member States;

(ii)works originating in European third States party to the European Convention on Transfrontier Television of the Council of Europe and fulfilling the conditions of paragraph 3;

(iii) works co-produced within the framework of agreements related to the audiovisual sector concluded between the Union and third countries and fulfilling the conditions defined in each of those agreements.”

The new EU laws is the 2018 revision (Directive (EU) 2018/1808) doesn’t change this definition but it changes the percentages applicable to European works. We haven’t yet transposed this Directive yet but that will be done by the Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill 2022. Note the definition at s53 is essentially the same as above and would include the U.K.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2022/6/eng/ver_b/b06b22s.pdf

The article is based on a fundamental misunderstanding that EU work=European work. That isn’t true. France did want to change the definition in such a way to exclude the U.K. but that hasn’t yet been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is that all Ireland mens rugby gone off RTE now so apart from the world cup?

Sad if it is. Some of Virgins commentators are horrendous. Conor McNamara is a soccer man and there's another chap who's awful too. Alan Quinlan has a good voice for it but he keeps repeating "isn't he/it" after every sentence. "He's a big unit isn't he", "They're so quick with the hands aren't they", "that's a big hit isn't it"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Don't they still have half of the 6 nations or is that finished?

Yep, they share the 6 Nations for the next 3 or 4 years I believe. And no confirmation who has the Rugby World Cup next year.

If you mean the senior mens national team only, they still have half the Six Nations. I suspect this is only a one year deal (remember with the RWC next year there are home internationals in August/September instead of November) but I cannot find any statement to confirm this. The news wasn’t even posted on the Autumn Nations Series website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think they have some non Ireland 6 nations games but I think VM have all the Ireland games don't they? Maybe not? Memory is hazy

• Advertisement

I think they divide them evenly between both RTÉ and VMTV. I was thinking that 2023 should see VMTV have 1 extra Irish match with RTÉ having one less. OR VISAVERSA but I am fairly certain both air 2/3 Irish matches in 2022.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement