Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when Mormons call?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

A nice a4 sized, laminated HSE official looking notice "do not knock on door" (with no bell) on the door keeps literally everyone out!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

unfortunatly them not drinking coffee or alcohol means i would probably set a world record for condeming myself after converting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Offer them a coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I just can't for the life of me understand the following about Mormons
    1) How they can change the whole way they looked at non-white people and stay true to their belief in the founder
    2) How they can believe the founder given the whole reading from a hat and changing the words
    3) Mandatory money giving to the church
    4) I am pretty sure they said the earth was going to end in the 80s. It didn't in case they didn't notice.

It also looks like Scientology robbed some of their ideas so that has to make you wonder how they view the way that is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

I'll just leave this here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

the wealth of that organisation is unreal :
    Los Angeles church

https://www.lds.org/church/temples/los-angeles-california?lang=eng

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Once upon a time in my college years, I was at a all day and night party at house with lots of merry folk. The booze was going down lovely, the craic was mighty.
    The doorbell sounded, alot of us who drifted in and out of the house were confused as the doorbell had never sounded before, the door was always open.
    So upon answering the door, 2 young American Mormons were standing looking extremely doe eyed and innocent at us drunken merry idiots. Instead of running like they should have, they launched into thier speil.
    We advised that they should join us and talk inside, and they entered the house.
    To paint a picture, when the party started at 7 that morning, for breakfast we started the day off drinking shots of what we found lying around the house which we knew we wouldn't be drinking later....mainly baileys and a few boxes of wine. There was even a midday run up over the border to get cheaper hooch.
    So the 2 lads were trying to talk to everyone at the party while everyone at the party was trying to get them to drink booze and tea and smoke cigarettes. We were trying to convince them to rip the sleeves off thier shirts to show off thier guns, a few party goers even demonstrated these by finding shirts about the house and ripping the sleeves off, and flexing in front of the 2 lads.
    The lads got very uncomfortable.....and we hadn't even started talking about our sexual fantasies at this stage. We began telling them the most out-there ridiculous sexual scenario's possible, and this is when they were making motions to exit. But, they like to be asked to leave and will always ask you if you have any further questions. By golly we did.
    They must have been there for about 2 hours, alot of the time being told 'wait there, I have to show you something' and running around the house trying to find something ridiculous to show them.
    Eventually we kind of forgot about them and they disappeared. Nice lads.

That's what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Skobie 69

rubadub wrote: »
    Not calling door to door expecting people to give up their free time is the polite thing to do, very simple. People slamming doors etc is the equivalent of shouting at a dog or small child, they want to let it be known that they think their behaviour is totally unacceptable, in the hope it will discourage them from doing it again, or at least not have them going off thinking the person did not mind.

How are they do know otherwise? The last thing many people want to do is encourage it. I would like to see all forms of cold calling and unaddressed mail distribution made illegal, its an easy cover for burglars.

Prince, the singer, is a Jehovah's Witness and calls door to door, I might let him in.

If you're not interested just say so. Mormon missionaries are generally looking for those that are interested in what they have to say. They are polite & may ask a few questions just to make sure people are not interested. If you say you're not interested then that's it. There are only 2 of them assigned to a certain area & they change every few months but they keep a record on where they knock so you might get a knock every 6 months or so, sometimes longer & sometimes never.
    If you don't want them to knock again just say so - the problem with what you propose is that there are people who are interested in hearing them out & sometimes peoples circumstances change where something may happen in someones life & then they do have religious questions. How are the missionaries supposed to know?
    Just tell them your not interested & that's it but to say not to knock on anyones door ever just because you don't like them is a bit much. I clean my own windows so when the window cleaner comes around I say no thanks -but a few houses in the street like to get their windows cleaned so why should I speak for them & say to the window cleaner get off the estate - its a free country last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

To be honest I think that being overtly rude to people who call to your house says more about that person than the missionary/salesman etc. If you aren't interested in a given product or service then say so and go about your day. If you need to big yourself up by condescending to some poor youngfella selling hoovers etc then you need to have a look at yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Skobie 69

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Once upon a time in my college years, I was at a all day and night party at house with lots of merry folk. The booze was going down lovely, the craic was mighty.
    The doorbell sounded, alot of us who drifted in and out of the house were confused as the doorbell had never sounded before, the door was always open.
    So upon answering the door, 2 young American Mormons were standing looking extremely doe eyed and innocent at us drunken merry idiots. Instead of running like they should have, they launched into thier speil.
    We advised that they should join us and talk inside, and they entered the house.
    To paint a picture, when the party started at 7 that morning, for breakfast we started the day off drinking shots of what we found lying around the house which we knew we wouldn't be drinking later....mainly baileys and a few boxes of wine. There was even a midday run up over the border to get cheaper hooch.
    So the 2 lads were trying to talk to everyone at the party while everyone at the party was trying to get them to drink booze and tea and smoke cigarettes. We were trying to convince them to rip the sleeves off thier shirts to show off thier guns, a few party goers even demonstrated these by finding shirts about the house and ripping the sleeves off, and flexing in front of the 2 lads.
    The lads got very uncomfortable.....and we hadn't even started talking about our sexual fantasies at this stage. We began telling them the most out-there ridiculous sexual scenario's possible, and this is when they were making motions to exit. But, they like to be asked to leave and will always ask you if you have any further questions. By golly we did.
    They must have been there for about 2 hours, alot of the time being told 'wait there, I have to show you something' and running around the house trying to find something ridiculous to show them.
    Eventually we kind of forgot about them and they disappeared. Nice lads.

That's what you do.

Great man you are! So you wanted to humiliate them to add to your party? Doesn't say much about the party then. It may come as a shock to the system but there are actually people in the world who a life of drunkenness & debauchery is not their thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There's a list of "20 questions Mormons can't answer". Start asking them and they will leave, bewildered, pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I made a sign that says "No callers without prior appointment"

It stops most unsolicited knocks on the door (sales/religious etc). For those that ignore it you can simply point to it and ask "Shall I call the Guards now?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Front room curtains are generally open so I can see who is calling to the door and they can see me not bothering my ass to get up to answer.

Sometimes you might get one who will knock on the window thinking that you may not have heard the doorbell, usually a wave will dispatch them quick enough with a big sourpuss head.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Oh yes, back in the late 80s my mother befriended two Mormons (one American, one Norwegian) and faked interest in the church. They asked if they could help her. So she had them redecorate the house and then told them to f'off.

A few years later my friend met two female Mormon missionaries and did something 'fun' with them in the tunnels of Grianan of Aileach which resulted in the church recalling them pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

grundie wrote: »
    Oh yes, back in the late 80s my mother befriended two Mormons (one American, one Norwegian) and faked interest in the church. They asked if they could help her. So she had them redecorate the house and then told them to f'off.

A few years later my friend met two female Mormon missionaries and did something 'fun' with them in the tunnels of Grianan of Aileach which resulted in the church recalling them pretty quickly.

Was he sowing a few seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Was he sowing a few seeds?

Just demonstrating the actual meaning of missionary

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

grundie wrote: »

It sounds like your open mind and general trusting nature makes you a perfect candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Wear a burkha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Try to seduce them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Tell them me ma and da aren't in

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Hand them a scientology pamphlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Invite them all in and sit them down and then put the kettle on before I go and find some undrrwear and pants to wear.

Next thing I do is plant the trocaire box in the middle of the table with a mighty rattle and ask if they want sugar and milk in their tea.

Then I go into my tale of how I am fed up with the pope and his lot because they won't let me marry a man and ask them if the mormons or whoever they are have any issue with same sex marriages.

They are usually making their excuses by this stage and I release them with my blessing.

Advertisement