Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when Mormons call?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WarOnDrugs78

token101 wrote: »
    No it isn't. Not in Ireland or Europe anyway. Maybe if you're talking percentages, but that's not exactly accurate is it?

Yes, percentage wise. Their growth rate is way ahead of the other religions. Christianity and Islam had a head start in terms of absolute numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

token101 wrote: »
    No it isn't. Not in Ireland or Europe anyway. Maybe if you're talking percentages, but that's not exactly accurate is it?

If they still continue their baptism of the dead practice, we will all end up mormons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

gg2 wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if you hit them with "I actually am a Mormon!" ..... Or if you just hit them??

They used to go around my area on mountain bikes when I was a kid/young teenager. (North Clondalkin). We used to jeer at them or whatever, as kids do.
    Anyhow, they went into one estate one evening, and got attacked, with one of them being stabbed to death!:eek:
    The attackers were locked up. One of them was a brother of a girl in my class at the time.
    They weren't seen in the area for a long time afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

If they still continue their baptism of the dead practice, we will all end up mormons?

But we'll all have magic underpants, I've always wanted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

pablo128 wrote: »
    They used to go around my area on mountain bikes when I was a kid/young teenager. (North Clondalkin). We used to jeer at them or whatever, as kids do.
    Anyhow, they went into one estate one evening, and got attacked, with one of them being stabbed to death!:eek:
    The attackers were locked up. One of them was a brother of a girl in my class at the time.
    They weren't seen in the area for a long time afterwards.

Cheeky little rascals weren't they!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Another strategy would be to try to convert them to atheism. But you'd need to be in a good mood to do that. I schooled three Mormon women in Limerick City last summer.

Atheism is not a religion, you can't convert someone to it.

I'd politely tell them no thanks and close the door.

Atheism is not a religion, you can't convert someone to it.

I'd politely tell them no thanks and close the door.

It's possible to convert someone from belief to lack of belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Just say no thanks "I don't want to waste your time" before closing the door, like you're doing them a favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's possible to convert someone from belief to lack of belief.

It's a belief in other people's mistaken beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'd rather not have them call again. Is there any strategy I could deploy which ye could recommend as maybe a discouragement to them to call again?

They can join the others in the cellar......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I don't understand why people slam doors in their faces etc. It doesn't take much effort to be polite.
    Not calling door to door expecting people to give up their free time is the polite thing to do, very simple. People slamming doors etc is the equivalent of shouting at a dog or small child, they want to let it be known that they think their behaviour is totally unacceptable, in the hope it will discourage them from doing it again, or at least not have them going off thinking the person did not mind.

How are they do know otherwise? The last thing many people want to do is encourage it. I would like to see all forms of cold calling and unaddressed mail distribution made illegal, its an easy cover for burglars.

Prince, the singer, is a Jehovah's Witness and calls door to door, I might let him in.

kneemos wrote: »
    It's a belief in other people's mistaken beliefs.

= a good working definition of all religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Invite them in for dinner and a marathon viewing of The Following.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

i.e Eamonn Ryan? ;)

He cycles the wrong way down the road and has a big gas guzzler outside his front door but invented the carbon tax and that that we are now stuck with and increases every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Only had them here once, i said "No thanks. Bye" and off they popped with a smile and a "thank you".
    Now, if only the guys selling carpets, dodgy generators and politics were as fast to take a subtle hint...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 NowThatsCool

Take the rosary beads off the peg by the door and falling on bended knees and with hands upstretched in beseeching appellation pray for the divine intercession of the holy virgin for the salvation of their wretched souls and their conversion from the path of perversion and blasphemy and back into the sacred embrace of our dear lord and saviour...

...or not depending on what's on telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Tell them I have a Nigerian prince on the phone offering to clear my computer of a virus and I have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

These people obviously want to be your friends and help you become part of their community! Why don't you welcome them with a warm embrace and hear what they have to say? Or do you have something to hide, op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Come back here again, and you'll be meeting your maker in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I have Slayer's "South of Heaven" ready in the CD player. Works each time. \m/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

No need to be a d1ck, just say no thank you and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Whatever about the Mormons there is a hell of a lot of morons calling to my door talking sh1te recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Break out the best of South Park CD and play them The Tale of Joseph Smith.

Dum,Dum,Dum,Dum,Dum. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

bumper234 wrote: »
    Treat them like beggars, chuggers, politicians, etc. Give them a firm but polite no thanks and close the door, if you let them start their "sales pitch" you're ****ed.

My old fella used to be feckin thrilled whenever the poor sods knocked on the door - he'd be out like a shot dragging them into the sitting room and bore the hole off them for the evening discussing religion, sadly his own version which had a few un-pc warps in the mainframe. They used to stagger out making their excuses after a few hours, usually locked on the home-made schnapps he'd damn near force them to "taste". We used to be in knots laughing in the kitchen listening to him drone on at them. They usually only called the once. He was a head-case for discussing religion, and where they were going wrong with it. Head-case full stop really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Jester252 wrote: »
    No need to be a d1ck, just say no thank you and leave it at that
    They'll flag you as a soft touch. And they'll be back.
    You need to be firm with them. Put on your deepest voice, and bark 'fcuk off!' in their faces. That usually does the trick.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Mormonism is the fastest growing religion.
    Bull****. Just two minutes ago I converted my brother to the Church of the Hallowed Brownie: that's a 100% increase. If this rate of uptake continues, the entire population of the Earth will be adherents in about an hour.

Bull****. Just two minutes ago I converted my brother to the Church of the Hallowed Brownie: that's a 100% increase. If this rate of uptake continues, the entire population of the Earth will be adherents in about an hour.

LOL. I'm still gigglin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Just the one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Question them on their beliefs. Their messiah is an American dude called Joseph smith who claims to have found an invisible extra bible that says god lives in Mexico and it's ok to marry your sister, then lead most of his people to Utah where about half of them died pointless deaths.

Advertisement