Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New? Unreal Tournament

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yup played it a lot. Game has very bad mouse lag and very cramped scaling. Weapons have been a half arsed effort from the dev team. They essentially imported ut3 weapons making projectiles even spammier, while making hitscan pretty much useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Monotype wrote: »
    Horrible, absolutely horrible. Could hardly touch UT2003 for a while after the discovering the sniper rifle was gone. Probably why it came back in 2004.

If by came back you mean made a brief appearance in Deck 17 and nowhere else, then sure... it "came back" :pac: I think I remember it in a few CTF maps too. Sniper is absolutely useless in terms of a competitive weapon, certainly wasn't used in DM, TDM, TAM...
    Yup played it a lot. Game has very bad mouse lag and very cramped scaling. Weapons have been a half arsed effort from the dev team. They essentially imported ut3 weapons making projectiles even spammier, while making hitscan pretty much useless.

The entire game seems like a half arse effort. I think they just imported the entire UT3 game and made minor tweaks to things like weapons to add gimmicks. Its essentially UT3.5 just using the new engine. I can't believe how unusable shock combos are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Don't diss the sniper rifle. It became useless because the fire speed was so low. They should just lift the one from 99 with all its qualities - just new textures and sounds.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I played UT 99 primarily as a single player game at the time it was out, not sure why I didn't try it online, probably my net connection wasn't up to it. Would be interested in playing a game against bots nowadays

Got somewhat into UT2004 with the unreal.ie community. Enjoyed my time with it, but UT3 killed the community over here. Never played it much, it died so quick never got to play it much online and other games where competing for attention as well.

Like a lot of classic games the follow up game find it hard to live up to the legacy of their predecessors, same with Quake, Counter Strike, Street Fighter etc. Hard to know if these game is genuinely bad other its just being hated on by grumpy old men for being different to the game that spawned it.

Azza wrote: »
    Got somewhat into UT2004 with the unreal.ie community. Enjoyed my time with it, but UT3 killed the community over here.

It didn't just kill the community here, it did all over the entire world.

• Advertisement

But the UT2004 community wasn't exactly that big was it?
    Twitch shooters are bit of a niche in FPS scene. Had no where near the numbers COD, Halo, BF or CS had if I recall correctly.

Twitch shooters are bit of a niche in FPS scene. Had no where near the numbers COD, Halo, BF or CS had if I recall correctly.

Fire up UT2k4 and have a look at the server lists... You'll notice straight away how few are actually still online compared to 5 years ago. Better yet - the epic games stats are still online - including a full player list. Take a look at that :p

It wouldn't have been as big as CS or BF, but it was still big. That much was evident from clanbase and the various leagues/cups. Until UT3 came out it was still competitive in both clanbase and ESL, and was fairly common LAN competition. The big pro teams (dignitas/fnatic/etc) still had full squads. And that was all ignoring what was going on over in the US.

CS is always what attracted the big money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I wouldn't class UT as a twitch shooter though, TTK was high enough to avoid simple attrition in most cases. An elite UT player could hold off a team of opponents. Whereas it doesn't matter how good you are at the usual Twitch suspects, you will die because you looked left when you should have looked right for a split second....hence...ya know...twitch :).

Anyway I gave the new one a go, tried to like it, uninstalled it, installed UT2K4 again and had a much better time.

Maybe I used the wrong term. Was referring to arena shooters which are played at a faster pace and require a high degree of skill when it comes to movement, map control, where sneaking up behind someone gives you an advantage but does not guarantee a kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Not sure why everyone's hatting so much on UT3.

My main disappointment of 2004 was that it was way too fast paced-dunno lack of skills,or growing older.

But once got UT3 even play online to this day-the graphics is good and still very competitive-only shame that there were a lot of good game modes for +32 +64 players that died off so now its couple suspense map servers and couple modded maps that remain.

Also main attraction with UT3 bigger maps was that teams would have to work together for say capture the flag or control the nodes etc.

• Advertisement

As I said, I never got to play it enough to form an opinion on it.

Slower paced doesn't necessarily make a game worse though. I'm sure there is more to the hate than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lord Ridiculous

Bumping this to see what the Irish UT gaming community thinks of the reboot?? Played a bit of it now - it's pretty fricking good, free and feels like a 90s fragfest with contemporary visuals.....thoughts??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is it actually finished? Last time I played there was only 2 maps.

just downloaded game now,am i missing something or graphics sucks since running on epic and max resolution yet game is smooth on my old 560ti gpu,but seems more like its missing UT4 engine,feels like playing some demo :confused:

scamalert wrote: »
    just downloaded game now,am i missing something or graphics sucks since running on epic and max resolution yet game is smooth on my old 560ti gpu,but seems more like its missing UT4 engine,feels like playing some demo :confused:

The graphics aren't great - turn the blur off to crisp it up but the textures etc are basic imho

well actually textures and some elements are nice like snow ice,weapon textures look decent,but whole gameplay feels like mentioned more like its running 2004 with hd texture mode,i guess its free so cant complain about it,but its far from finished.

well actually textures and some elements are nice like snow ice,weapon textures look decent,but whole gameplay feels like mentioned more like its running 2004 with hd texture mode,i guess its free so cant complain about it,but its far from finished.

Yeah but that's the draw....it feels like an older game with updated visuals. I was harsh; it doesn't look bad and it plays like butter, mmmm - you should see DOOM Beta....now that looks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did they return the sniper rifle and rocket launcher to their glory days of UT99?

Monotype wrote: »
    Did they return the sniper rifle and rocket launcher to their glory days of UT99?
    dont remember what was it like in 99 but atm sniper looks like plastic toy worst texture and size picked-way to slow for pace of the game same with RL.dunno about rest but both feel off compared coming from UT3-overall played most of the day 2day and while its fun,but alpha release as stated so long ways from being complete.Now if they applied same engine on UT3 that would be something-since graphics are nice,but overall feel its more of luck then skill,a lot of adjustments need to be done.so only stuff thats ok seems most popular maps were ported some need a lot of tweaking while newer ones seem finished,and graphics end on environment looks ok-rest can be argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

.... UT3 that would be something-since graphics are nice,but overall feel its more of luck then skill,.

UT3 and skill? It was the game that killed the UT franchise, too slow and a bad move away from hit-scan infantry skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just tried it there, it's pretty decent, needs a lot of work obviously, and some levels don't have proper textures even at this point.

Had a go there of Facing Worlds though, which is quite polished, and it does tick the boxes well enough I have to admit!

Love how they've kept the same voices and sound effects too, serious nostalgia buzz.

A good example so far of how an old game can be taken into the modern age. I mean, compare this to the fiasco that is the new Doom MP...

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    UT3 and skill? It was the game that killed the UT franchise, too slow and a bad move away from hit-scan infantry skills.
    I guess it depends how competitive you like to be thus see many hating UT3,but for me the pace was perfect,you still needed skills sniping, flag retrieval,vehicles -thus usually played vehicle warfare at least it gave you space to move around and not being jumped by 3-4 people from all sides,just to be killed every 5-10 seconds and rinse repeat.but theres so many games out and youll have haters for each,some see CS as pointless,some are BF3-4 maniacs,MW and list goes on,similar games many modes and speeds to suit everyone's needs.

Advertisement