Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New? Unreal Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

The first deathmatch in the new UT was played :D

Hope they continue to show videos like these, always nice to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

awesome. Can't wait!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They have a working game now. Looks fun, and extremely basic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks good so far ,think I saw a version of Deck-17 in there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Pre alphas been up and running a while, there's a semi working server browser in the latest build

Pop over to #beyondunreal on irc.globalgamers.net , few hundred people playing there and Epic developers are there too, hit me a pm if you want help setting it up

Has anyone actually played this yet? I gave it a go last night, and i have to say i was impressed. Very early stages, but it felt really smooth, looks great and the weapons were classic UT. Definitely on the right track anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, I played a bit. Good feel in general. Disappointed with the sniper rifle though. Way too slow and not really a contender for a good weapon like in UT99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Ohh like the sound of this!! Hell yeah.

Also wouldn't mind seeing the rocket launcher going back to its roots with more than three rockets... maybe they thought it was too unreal in the later versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Is it still in the stage where you need an Unreal Engine dev licence so you can pull the source and build it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

Is it still in the stage where you need an Unreal Engine dev licence so you can pull the source and build it yourself?

Not long ago, the the unreal Engine was made free. so anyone can just play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They've dropped the dev licence cost so a rather pleasant side effect has been that the latest UT build is available to everyone now. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Sweet! Do I just download the engine & the game is included?

Yeah, get the launcher and click download. Took about 20 minutes for me last night, and booted up perfectly.

Sweet, doing it now. Probs wont take 20 mins though with my ****e internet. What size is it actually?

Saw the demo video of this from GDC... probably the most depressing thing ever. It's UT3 just with slightly better graphics and less grunge. Yet another nail in the coffin of the UT community

I have loved every Unreal Tournament released on the PC since the very first one. I didn't realize some were considered ****e are they?

Saw the demo video of this from GDC... probably the most depressing thing ever. It's UT3 just with slightly better graphics and less grunge. Yet another nail in the coffin of the UT community

Pretty much, the movement is muddy and non responsive. The mouse input isn't raw. The weapons are big and clunky and game-play is really spammy.

Going to give them more time to get the core gameplay sorted out, fingers crossed.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I have loved every Unreal Tournament released on the PC since the very first one. I didn't realize some were considered ****e are they?

UT3 is pretty much frowned upon

ut99>ut2k4>ut3 imo, every iteration got worse

• Advertisement

I quite like UT3, but the sluggish game menu put me off. I thought that the UT99 menu was so fantastic at the time. Was surprised to see it dropped later. It made more sense for a game which you want a big server browser and access to configure mods. The UT3 menu was terrible - too many animations, too many logos, having to log in to quit the game.

I think I'd place UT3 higher than UT2003/4, but UT99 was easily the best. I hope they don't get afraid to put a faster firing sniper rifle in it. That weapon was so good to use. Fun watching peoples heads pop off. I don't want it for sniping; it should be for close range combat!

I'm a UT2k4 player so never really got used to the UT99/Q3 movement styles... The fact they nuked it back in UT3 and now this was a serious letdown. UT3 essentially killed the UT community, UT2k4 was still going strong until then.

And what about the LG? Much better than the sniper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looking forward to this, UT was the very first online shooter I ever played....

on dial up.....

(Old man hat on :

Yes peeps, we played online games on a dial up connection, there was no Xbox Live or Shteam back then I tells ya...

Old man hat off)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Dont know the issues people speak here of UT3 being sluggish-takes 3 clicks to join server-no bull**** choosing sides and waiting times.Only downside that there is only small group left playing it,also mods on some servers can be a bit annoying,but game wise its perfect-even thou i got game couple years since it was released and yet from time to time I join vhf to have some fun.

But agree that 2004 one is most favorite one for most,and raved about,even thou i tried them all and its one of the rear games that manages to employ simple game play yet survive almost 20 years.
    also tried Cod BF4-and for the sake of it it was almost worst experience,specially since game makers first make it for consoles,and for the sake of gaming how one could even play FPS shooter on console remains unsolved mystery for me,given you use controller-which is basically as using touchscreen-where accuracy and reaction times are measured in seconds glimpse.

And what about the LG? Much better than the sniper

Horrible, absolutely horrible. Could hardly touch UT2003 for a while after the discovering the sniper rifle was gone. Probably why it came back in 2004.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

If anyone is looking for someone to try the alpha, add me as a friend, RS.ie Azza.

Tried it for a while today, seems good, brings back some memories.

The trailer for the original UT is still one of my faves so loving what Epic have done with this.

Shame the gameplay is garbage. :)

Shame the gameplay is garbage. :)

Have you played it recently? I'm not going near it till release myself, never mind at the pre-alpha stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was really disappointed by successive UT releases since UT99, UT2k4 was okay but the rest were just a bit crap. I'd love if they went back to the UT99 roots with better visuals, the community is still active for 99 and it's still a blast to play. Always preferred it over Quake III.

Advertisement