Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New? Unreal Tournament

Options
  • 03-05-2014 7:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/05/02/epic-games-co-founder-teases-unreal-tournament-comeback

The older arena FPS online community have been crying out for a new competitive game for years. We won't know until next Thursday what route they're taking but I'm very excited. The glory days might return, I need to curb my enthusiasm though seeing how multiplayer FPS games have developed over the last few years. *Points finger at Cod and Battlefield* :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Wow I hope so. Needed in the market!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Nice...... hopefully they don't try to consolize it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm sure an Unreal Tournament 4 will be released but mostly to show off Unreal Engine 4 (same as UT 3, which admittedly I kinda enjoyed).

Competitive FPS gaming has nose-dived in popularity, but CS-GO has made a big push in the last 12 months and CoD remains strong on the console for MLG.

I'm definitely interested though, as much to see UE4 than anything else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

PC exclusive, please. Don't build it for the lowest common denominator :(

All of a sudden E3 is looking awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The whole point is to sell the engine, it'll be on everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I like U3, I played it a lot and enjoyed it, I have no Idea why it died so fast. :(

Looking forward to U4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

UT3 died cause it was built from the ground up for consoles and had a very gears of war feel to it with huge sprites and clunky weapons, essentially veering away from what made UT1 and UT2k4 great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

nuxxx wrote: »
    UT3 died cause it was built from the ground up for consoles and had a very gears of war feel to it with huge sprites and clunky weapons, essentially veering away from what made UT1 and UT2k4 great

THIS

I was a huge Unreal and UT fan, played them all until UT3 and like pretty much all of it's then considerable PC fanbase turned away in disgust. It didn't help that Epic pissed all over that community by editing posts and banning anyone who criticised it on their forums. I agree that it's most likely going to be little more than an interactive tech demo for 3rd party sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Please don't make a ****e menu that takes flipping ages to get through (and iirc, you needed to log back into your account to exit the game?) like we witnessed in UT3.

The dodgy menu was the number 1 reason why I stopped playing the game. A menu like UT99 would be perfect. Quick access to everything. No bull**** animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

*please make this amazing and not just a tech demo*

I used to love UT, but they did basically ruin it, but this definitely has potential.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've already had a few tech demo's for Unreal Engine 4, so i can't see this being anything other than UT4.

I spent so much time playing the original and 2004. Brilliant games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Even if Epic don't make the UT game people are clamouring for, the licencing deal for UE4 is so attractive that there's nothing really stopping another studio making an Unreal-esque shooter in the engine. I mean hell, one of the templates that ships with the source code is for a fast paced arena shooter. :pac:

Tech demo wise, I assume you've run the Elemental Demo already?

As for what I think we're gona get? Unreal Tournament F2P. With Tencent holding 40% of the reigns at Epic I can't really see it going any other way to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

avg 51fps in the demo i5 2500k 7870 8gb ram ssd

some stuttering tho.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    avg 51fps in the demo i5 2500k 7870 8gb ram ssd

some stuttering tho.
    Did you change the resolution in the accompanying ini file? The default is something like 1600x900.

The demo itself is also evidently the version that was running on the PS4 sometime after the original unveiling so is toned down in a couple of departments compared to that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

announcement today at 5 irish time, twitch.tv/epicgames

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hopefully a good game, UT was one of the best games.

gizmo wrote: »
    Did you change the resolution in the accompanying ini file? The default is something like 1600x900.

The demo itself is also evidently the version that was running on the PS4 sometime after the original unveiling so is toned down in a couple of departments compared to that one.

Changed it to 1920, tbh noone ever has issues with the UT engines once a game comes out.

Now a crash on startup with a console file is different but once running its usually high constant fps.

nuxxx wrote: »
    announcement today at 5 irish time, twitch.tv/epicgames

Its http://www.twitch.tv/UnrealEngine

and not 5pm irish , its 7pm

feel like a spa for rushing home from work now :D

Not being developed for consoles! **** yeah!!

However, it will be FREE. Not F2P.

Net Unreal Tournament, F2P, no console release. It's super early days though, and they are starting from pretty much scratch.

That's all so far.

• Advertisement

New Unreal game, development starts today. its free.......

community making it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Falthyron wrote: »
    Not being developed for consoles! **** yeah!!

However, it will be F2P :(

So are DotA2 and League of Legends - two of the biggest esport titles - and then there's also Team Fortress 2. F2P gets a bad rap, but done well can be quite successful.

Competitive titles (and especially FPS which tend to be less accessible immediately) need all the exposure and player base they can get. Hopefully it'll be done well.

Though all younger-me needs is the CTF Face and decent bots :D

🤪

Hmm, they're going to allow users to charge for modded content apparently. And no publisher.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

No publisher.

Unreal Hat Tournament 4 coming soon!

Development starts today.
    Community developed using the Unreal 4 Engine.
    Modders, map-makers, animators, will all be contributing to the development of the game.
    Free, NOT F2P.
    No Publisher.
    PC/Linux/MAC - No console support.

Woohoo! :D

Epic Games is making a new Unreal Tournament game, they announced today on their livestream. It'll be developed in collaboration with fans, and it'll be free.P

That's not free-to-play, Epic promises. Free. No microtransactions here—Epic's cut will come from the community marketplace, where fans can sell what they make in the new Unreal Tournament, and Epic will take a cut.2P

"We're planning on doing it in close collaboration with you, the community," Epic's Steve Polge said on stream.P

It'll be out for Linux, PC, and Mac. There's no game just yet—when Epic says they're making it with fans, they really mean that they're making it with fans. P

"We're basically starting today," said Epic's David Spalinski.P

Anyone interested in working on the game can sign up and participate on the Unreal website.

nutshell

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How many threads/posts just got merged into this? :D

I'll definitely be giving it a look when it appears. Delighted it's not being punished by having to serve the consoles.

It's a clever way to beta test your new all singing and dancing game engine ;)

The website has been updated...
    HERE’S THE PLAN:
    We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
    From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
    If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
    All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
    The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
    Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

SO WHAT’S THE CATCH?
    It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
    When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
    We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.
    Hmm, interesting. So they're handling the core development with feedback from the community. That's a good start at least.

The code and content being available on Github is a nice twist, it'll definitely boost the number of subs to UE4 anyway. It could even work out to be a very raw version of Early Access with people interested enough to build the latest versions themselves to try out as development progresses.

What the above will also likely mean is that you'll need a sub, however long, in order to create content for the marketplace, very smart. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can't wait, sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm intrigued to see how this works out, but a new UT has me stoked & can think of some friends who'll be hitting the ceiling with excitement. I wasn't that gone on UT3, found it a janky mess with information overload on its maps, but the original and UT'03/'04 got a lot of playtime by younger Pixelburp :)

I have a lot of nostalgic love for this series, as my first LAN(s) revolved around the original Unreal Tournament, back when it was new in '99/'00, and at the risk of sounding like an old codger - those were the days. So many inventive maps & weapons, with 'assault' blowing my mind in particular - multiplier objectives?? Crazy stuff. Heck, my first tinkering with mods was through UT1 too, mucking about with the UT editor.

So yeah, can't wait. I hope it's gloriously OTT and colourful fun :D

Advertisement