Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Building Control Regs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Architectural Technologists- Building Control Act 2007 in breach of EU Law

source

The BCA 2007 is what "feeds into" SI 9 2014 with respect to who may / may not be deemed acceptable to act as assigned designer and/or assigned certifier under SI 9 2014.

Good news for Architectural Technicians and good news for consumers , in time and hopefully not too much time.

So onwards and upwards now to self builders - keep up the good fight for common sense and justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭mandy gall

4Sticks wrote: »
    source

The BCA 2007 is what "feeds into" SI 9 2014 with respect to who may / may not be deemed acceptable to act as assigned designer and/or assigned certifier under SI 9 2014.

Good news for Architectural Technicians and good news for consumers , in time and hopefully not too much time.

So onwards and upwards now to self builders - keep up the good fight for common sense and justice.

Hooray!! Im just sharpening my sword here....:rolleyes:

mandy gall wrote: »
    Hooray!! Im just sharpening my sword here....:rolleyes:

I pity the fool....:D

You pen is deadlier Mandy.

WARNING !
    If you commence works or a change of use of a building in the absence of a Valid Commencement Notice, there
    is no provision to retrospectively submit a Commencement Notice.
    This may affect your ability to ever occupy, lease or sell your building.

source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Yeah, any local authority we've talked to said they cannot and will not issue commencement notices retrospectively and the only legal fix is to pull it down, put it back to how it was before the work, then lodge the commencement notice and do the work again.

We'll see. I bet that'll be tested in court.

• Advertisement

We'll see. I bet that'll be tested in court.

After you :)

I have no desire to! But someone will get caught with their trousers down while trying to sell their house and will have the funds to challenge it, especially if it was otherwise built in full compliance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have no desire to! But someone will get caught with their trousers down while trying to sell their house and will have the funds to challenge it, especially if it was otherwise built in full compliance.

I'm involved in something at the moment. Will see how it plans out.
    Works have commenced after 1st March without a CN........... We are in unmapped land now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/commencement-notices-building-register-17th-june-2014/

commencement notices from 1st march (to 16 june as far as i can tell) appear to be running at approx 33% of that from this time last year.
    Also approx 40% of commencement notices in that time are for projects NOT applicable to BC(A)R.

we are starting to see conclusive proof that BC(A)R is an obstacle to the construction industry reigniting.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/commencement-notices-building-register-17th-june-2014/

commencement notices from 1st march (to 16 june as far as i can tell) appear to be running at approx 33% of that from this time last year.
    Also approx 40% of commencement notices in that time are for projects NOT applicable to BC(A)R.

we are starting to see conclusive proof that BC(A)R is an obstacle to the construction industry reigniting.

Very true...

We were granted Planning Permission yesterday...does anyone know an Assigned Certifier who will work with self builders for €1,000 to 3,000? - preferably € 1,000 :)

• Advertisement

It would help if you gave your approximate location...

It would help if you gave your approximate location...

i think mandy is being sarcastic there.... her struggle with these new regs is well documented ;)

Yeah but her ask isn't impossible, so unless she's planning on not going ahead simply for the sake of making a facetious point when there are people willing to work with self-builders.... I took her question to be serious.

Yeah but her ask isn't impossible, so unless she's planning on not going ahead simply for the sake of making a facetious point when there are people willing to work with self-builders.... I took her question to be serious.

well perhaps you should stop building that straw man and read her question again......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    well perhaps you should stop building that straw man and read her question again......

"does anyone know an Assigned Certifier who will work with self builders for €1,000 to 3,000? - preferably € 1,000 "

Yes, I do, but it depends on where in the country she is as to whether there's any point mentioning it.

So where's that straw man you're talking about?

Part sarcasm....part true... at a crossroads at the min... we are in Sligo... #SI9toSEA

mandy gall wrote: »
    Part sarcasm....part true... at a crossroads at the min... we are in Sligo... #SI9toSEA

Afraid I can't help you so, you're a bit far away from Dublin...

Best bet is just to ring up some engineering firms and ask if they're interested. I'd be surprised if you got no joy from it at all.

Great to hear that..thank u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

kceire wrote: »
    I'm involved in something at the moment. Will see how it plans out.
    Works have commenced after 1st March without a CN........... We are in unmapped land now.

Would love to hear how this turns out. Keep us up to date!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Drift wrote: »
    Would love to hear how this turns out. Keep us up to date!!!

Will do my best, but for the moment its too sensitive for a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

kceire wrote: »
    Will do my best, but for the moment its too sensitive for a public forum.

Totally understand!!

<snip>

Mod: individual cases aren't up for discussion. Forum is for general discussion about the regs only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Who is the best person to employ to provide the complete package needed to comply with the new building regs, prepare the commencement package, certify, sign off for mortgage, etc. An architect or an engineer of some sort. In Donegal, so any recommendations by pm are most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wardey27

Hi all. Does anyone know an assigned certifier that will work with a self builder in limerick. Of course for a reasonable price.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Wardey27 wrote: »
    Hi all. Does anyone know an assigned certifier that will work with a self builder in limerick. Of course for a reasonable price.
    Thanks
    Post here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056682402&page=17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just happened across this thread over the last year days - it is very insightful and a great help in understanding the new B.Control Regs to a greater degree.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

good thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

it was put to me yesterday that electrical installation works do not form part of the Building Regulations A-M, therefore there is not requirement for certification for this under SI09.

I've had a quick look and on the face of it this seems correct. i was wondering what others think?

it also seems like a lot of mechanical works (outside of those covered by F, G, H and J) is also not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Will23 wrote: »
    it was put to me yesterday that electrical installation works do not form part of the Building Regulations A-M, therefore there is not requirement for certification for this under SI09.

I've had a quick look and on the face of it this seems correct. i was wondering what others think?

it also seems like a lot of mechanical works (outside of those covered by F, G, H and J) is also not covered.

You may wish to read Part D Building Regulations.
    ...particularly the interpretation and section 1.1

• Advertisement

You may wish to read Part D Building Regulations.
    ...particularly the interpretation and section 1.1

Exactly.

Basically, EVERY material and process in a build Is subject to building regulations.

Advertisement