Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I wouldn't have any confidence reversing with that thing. It doesn't look that bad, I'll give you that. I don't even think it would fit in my driveway.

I just had my eyes done today, medical on Wednesday and then bring in my stuff to ndls center. Was gonna wait till I get the permit before booking driving test.

Reversing an estate is easier than a sedan or a coupe. I'm sure it would fit, it's not THAT big.

Oh, if you're just getting your permit now, you'll have to wait 6 months before you can do your driving test (unless you can get some exemption where your job requires you to drive a car) and do 12 lessons before it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

GvidoR wrote: »
    Oh, if you're just getting your permit now, you'll have to wait 6 months before you can do your driving test (unless you can get some exemption where your job requires you to drive a car) and do 12 lessons before it as well.

Ah yeah I knew that alright. What I can't get around is that you have to first buy a car and then get quoted in insurance. What if you buy a car that insurance companies don't like and be like "yeah we're just gonna assume you'll turn into a boy racer with that car that you already purchased, so we're gonna double your insurance cost, get ****ed.":eek:

I was going to buy a car based on cheap tax, insurance, eco. I'm beginning to think that's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Ah yeah I knew that alright. What I can't get around is that you have to first buy a car and then get quoted in insurance. What if you buy a car that insurance companies don't like and be like "yeah we're just gonna assume you'll turn into a boy racer with that car that you already purchased, so we're gonna double your insurance cost, get ****ed.":eek:

Just call them up and ask for a quite, or use their online quote thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

2000 Mazda Xedos 9, 100,000 miles, lots of test, for a grand.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-xedos-9-millenia/9426888?offset=1

41714074.jpeg

I've had two Xedos 6s -a 1.6 an a 2L V6 - and loved both of 'em. I'm presuming this one has a 2 litre V6 engine, as its a Jap import.

What do you think, lads? Worth it for e750?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Modern cars could learn a trick from the trim on that Xedos - looks so much more inviting then the typical black cloth interior you get these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RyanMGF

Seriously bland looking cars but some of those Xedos 9s had the 2.3 supercharged Miller Cycle engines. Quite an interesting engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ah yeah I knew that alright. What I can't get around is that you have to first buy a car and then get quoted in insurance.

but you dont need to buy the car first and not sure where you get that idea. All you need to do is give the insurance providers the registration number of the car and they should be able to quote you from there. If they dont quote you or quote is too high for you then you will need to just move on from there (quote is going to be relatively high for first time driver anyways but obviously some cars are higher than others). For the most part you will see the registration number in the ad. However, if it is a hide the reg merchant just ask them for it over the phone...if they wont give it move on, plenty more cars for sale....very simple really.

I think if you want relatively cheap, economical hassle free motoring you could do a lot worse than the likes of these few...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-323f-for-sale/9419419?offset=13
    Mazda 323; 2000 reg.
    1.3 litre should ensure relatively reasonable insurance;
    A year of nct and a decent helping of motor tax also;
    Good tyres but a few what I would consider acceptable scrapes and marks
    Mileage a tad on the high @ 161k side but if it was reasonably well minded it wont be an issue;
    Hatch looks more modern than its saloon counterpart and am sure they will do something on the asking price of €1,300 by the sound of it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carolla/9436400?offset=17
    2000 reg Corolla 1.3 litre hatch; run out model with bug eye headlights;
    Again a few acceptable age related bumps and scrapes;
    140k miles on bulletproof engine;
    Asking €1,200 but ask about tyres and timing belt - if it needed them soon forget about it I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

colm_mcm wrote: »

Was €2150 when Colm posted it, it's now €1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Graham 1324

flazio wrote: »
    Was €2150 when Colm posted it, it's now €1950.

That Mazda 3 looks well in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

zerks wrote: »

Feck sake Im looking for a car just like that.....except in Dublin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

With specific cars you need to be flexible in terms of location. They do not appear for sale too often and secondly, it makes sense to go the extra mile to get a good one.

Seweryn wrote: »
    With specific cars you need to be flexible in terms of location. They do not appear for sale too often and secondly, it makes sense to go the extra mile to get a good one.

I know sure if it was Wicklow, Meath Kildare etc I would be there in a heartbeat, its probably because Im not in a rush tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Last two cars I bought were down the country. In both cases the sellers assured me the cars were straight and as described. Both seemed genuine so I met one halfway with my mechanic and we took the car home. The second lad drove up to Dublin from Carlow and I took the Jeep.

For a €500 car however I wouldn't be willing to travel too far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Train down to cork - change to Cobh - meet yr-man at what ever station suits and drive on home -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Train down to cork - change to Cobh - meet yr-man at what ever station suits and drive on home -

I wouldnt be mechanically minded so I would need to get someone to come as well, like I said Im in no rush so I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its tax is 40 quid dearer than my 13 y/o 2.0! Its in the 3rd highest tax band. Jaysus the owner must have felt very hard done by buying that new

It's one of the losers of emissions tax change, probably sitting unregistered for years before 09.

It's one of the losers of emissions tax change, probably sitting unregistered for years before 09.

Nobody in their right mind would pay that tax on a 1.6 I'd say

• Advertisement

Some people would be blinded by the new plate and prestigious badge. :)
    Few of them taxis near me.

They are truly dreadful, but that is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Like the petrol Mondeo's.

Few of them taxis near me.

Probably all that one is good for at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Nobody in their right mind would pay that tax on a 1.6 I'd say

If you keep it for 2 years, thats an extra €470 in tax over a 1.6 on the old assessment. That still only brings it to ~€2500 - still pretty good value.

If your budget conscious, it makes sense.

If you keep it for 2 years, thats an extra €470 in tax over a 1.6 on the old assessment. That still only brings it to ~€2500 - still pretty good value.

If your budget conscious, it makes sense.
    The idea of forking over extra tax to an already backwards motor tax system makes me sad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

2002 FORD FOCUS 1.4 LX
    http://www.autotrader.ie/browse-used-cars/ford/focus/used-2002-ford-focus-1-4-lx-new-n-dublin-fpa-160714315277633280

I was looking at this car and it says Mileage: null M (0 KM). Yet it stats it's had 2 owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2002 FORD FOCUS 1.4 LX
    http://www.autotrader.ie/browse-used-cars/ford/focus/used-2002-ford-focus-1-4-lx-new-n-dublin-fpa-160714315277633280

I was looking at this car and it says Mileage: null M (0 KM). Yet it stats it's had 2 owners?

It has been left out as its most likely a high miler

It has been left out as its most likely a high miler

That's a bit disingenuous coming from a supposed motor company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

If you're interested in it, you can ask them to tell you the mileage over the phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement