Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

flazio wrote: »
    You honestly think that the extra tax, extra fuel it burns, extra on insurance for a more powerful car will only come up to an extra €520 a year?

No, you're making the classic (Irish) mistake of only looking at some of the costs. I specifically mentioned total cost of ownership, which includes depreciation and opportunity costs of money, two of the biggest costs of owning a car, even at bangernomics level!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

percy212 wrote: »
    Whatever I buy has to be automatic unfortunately....

Does that Saab seem ok otherwise.

My other choice is this merc: http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-c200-kompressor-elegance/7599476

The merc can be had for 1500.
    I think that Merc is a bargin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Aren't those C classes very below-average by Merc standards?

Moneymaker wrote: »

I can't see any reason to buy a C-class over an E-class myself at bangernomics level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Most of their cars from that era are below-average and are plagued with quality problems and some very expensive faults too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It looks well taken care of. The brown exterior and interior would put a lot of people off but I think it actually suits the car.
    Nice engine too :)
    Good find.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Most of their cars from that era are below-average and are plagued with quality problems and some very expensive faults too.

14-15 years on with a full NCT and everything working, buy one for bangernomics money and I wouldn't really be worrying too much about those expensive faults, rust and other quality problems...

Or you might as well buy a Starlet. Or safer still, don't buy a car at all and just stay in and watch tele :p

'04 Mazda 6 estate. NCT end 05/15, asking just €850

33621226.jpeg

Now that's reliable motoring for peanuts...

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

unkel wrote: »
    I can't see any reason to buy a C-class over an E-class myself at bangernomics level.
    Agreed, I just thought it was a handy bangernomics car for the right candidate. I had an E Class myself on Bangernomics money for 2 years . A '97 with rust in the arches and the usual places. Bought it for €1000, sold it 2 years later for €350. I loved the bloody thing too. Always had a soft sot for the E class.
    Anyway, the C class is still good bangernomics as far as i'm concerned. Not to everyone's taste admittedly, but still a fine comfy car. As for the plagued with problems statements, I would be taking with a pinch of salt at that money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

The E class looks a bit long to my eyes. I like that C class. NCT till May. Its cheap! Drive it till it dies or needs a repair as expensive as a new bangernomics special...

Buying today. I think....
    cadaliac wrote: »
    Agreed, I just thought it was a handy bangernomics car for the right candidate. I had an E Class myself on Bangernomics money for 2 years . A '97 with rust in the arches and the usual places. Bought it for €1000, sold it 2 years later for €350. I loved the bloody thing too. Always had a soft sot for the E class.
    Anyway, the C class is still good bangernomics as far as i'm concerned. Not to everyone's taste admittedly, but still a fine comfy car. As for the plagued with problems statements, I would be taking with a pinch of salt at that money..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Very rare spec.
    Leather and auto. Some would say cream, I'm calling mustard..:pac:
    Looks a nice car.
    Test April '15
    asking €1,400

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-1-8t-laurin-klement/7809834

33698881.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

bear1 wrote: »
    Seriously ugly as fook but good for lugging kids around I suppose

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/sangyong-rodius-luxury-mpv-2-7-cdi-bargain/7697997

NCT 09/15

It wouldn't take much to convert that to a campervan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Karl Stein wrote: »

Thought they'd reintroduced the 1.8m head height requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mick_jt

NCT 09/15

The person taking the pictures was so ashamed by it they hid behind a tree when taking one.

unkel wrote: »

Its a generation newer, w210 launched in 1995, the w203 was brand new in 2001 and had a better crash rating. For me condition, engine/gearbox and spec would be the decider rather than a predisposition for one or the other, oh yeah price ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Karl Stein wrote: »

It would take less to convert it into a bonfire. Ultimately more satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement

It would take less to convert it into a bonfire. Ultimately more satisfying.

You think a flame would catch on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/sangyong-rodius-luxury-mpv-2-7-cdi-bargain/7697997

NCT 09/15
    Has The Unwearable Mercedes Built 2.7 CDI Engine

I when I get into a taxi one of these and the driver brings up the 'sure tis a merc engine...' line. Designed by Mercedes in the early 90s, remade in Korea 15 years later and stuck in this...

To be fair, isn't the 2.7 xdi based on the 2.7 CDI which came out in 1999 in the e class?

They also did the 2.9 on the Musso and Rexton which was ancient, but in fairness the 2.7 was pretty much bang up to date at the time.

Of course Mercedes didn't actually build the Ssangyong engines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mick_jt wrote: »
    The person taking the pictures was so ashamed by it they hid behind a tree when taking one.

Tax run out. Add €1,345 to price. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

colm_mcm wrote: »

A bit of a wheeler dealer there me thinks :)

A bit of a wheeler dealer there me thinks :)

Even selling a house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Even selling a house :)

Whatever about the cars and van he'd want to present that house a bit better. Cut the grass and clean up all the bird droppings from the floors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Whatever about the cars and van he'd want to present that house a bit better. Cut the grass and clean up all the bird droppings from the floors

Bird sh1t and long grass would be the least of yer worries with that place :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I when I get into a taxi one of these and the driver brings up the 'sure tis a merc engine...' line. Designed by Mercedes in the early 90s, remade in Korea 15 years later and stuck in this...

Used to be a lot of that with the original seat ibiza... "Sure isn't it a porsche underneath? Sticker on the back window says so..." Err, no

Seat had to pay Porsche a royalty for every sticker they put on a car,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement