Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jharr100

BrendanD wrote: »
    any idea what the mpg would be like on this ?

Mine does 32-35 on a run but only 21-23 around town.. But mine is an auto and would be an mpg or 2 thirstier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

bear1 wrote: »
    The 1.9 unit is a Fiat engine which was then used in Saabs and Opels so the guy is right but got it the wrong way around.
    Also, in the Alfa there were no swirl flaps issues so it is a slightly more reliable engine than the other versions.
    AFAIK it's the block which is the same but the ancillaries are different on the Opel/Saab versions.

Sure at that point, weren't they all GM anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Sound bear1,
    I was thinking it might be the fiat engine SAAB started using when the 9-5 had a face lift but wanted to be sure. When the lad in the ad said opel diesel I was a little bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sure at that point, weren't they all GM anyway?

Nope, the 156 was the last batch of Alfas that were using Fiat engines.
    When the 159 replaced the 156 they made the silly choice of going with GM which is why Alfisti prefer the older busso engine of the 156 GTA than the 3.2 V6 of the 159.
    The GM engines are the ones where DPF's first came into Alfas, from 2006.
    I believe they have now reverted back to their own engines.
    As I said, the blocks were Fiat but GM then provided the rest of the engine whereas in the original Fiat engine which that Alfa I posted has everything stayed as a Fiat engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Nope, the 156 was the last batch of Alfas that were using Fiat engines.
    When the 159 replaced the 156 they made the silly choice of going with GM which is why Alfisti prefer the older busso engine of the 156 GTA than the 3.2 V6 of the 159.
    The GM engines are the ones where DPF's first came into Alfas, from 2006.
    I believe they have now reverted back to their own engines.
    As I said, the blocks were Fiat but GM then provided the rest of the engine whereas in the original Fiat engine which that Alfa I posted has everything stayed as a Fiat engine.

The diesels were always Fiat, shared with GM, but Fiat brought the diesel technology to the partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrendanD wrote: »
    any idea what the mpg would be like on this ?

How long is a piece of string? It depends completely on what way the car is driven

I've owned one for 2 years and with a lot of short trips in the Dublin area with a cold engine and very few longer trips on the open road I averaged a bit better than 25MPG or so

Took it fully loaded with gear and with 5 people on a holiday to Wexford driving at the speed limits but making a go of driving as smoothly as possible and I averaged 40MPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

AFAIK it's the block which is the same but the ancillaries are different on the Opel/Saab versions.

I think the whole lot is the same. Alternators might vary due to layout of specific cars, but things like egr's, sensors and ac pumps can be cross referenced on gm/fiat part lists.

I know this as ive had to buy an egt valve for a fiat 1.9 multijet. For some reason fiat want almost 60e more than Opel for the EXACT same part. I believe the same holds true for the croma/vectra exhaust bits. If you have the fiat, order the GM parts!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Less talk more bangers please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Less talk more bangers please!

Firecrackers_old.jpg

:pac:

I'd wager this is an ex taxi with unbelievably high KM but if you don't care about that sort of thing:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-for-sale/7638801

NCT 02/15 and 1600e

In no way is the below car belong in this thread but I just wanted to show what some people think are acceptable photos when selling a car:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/motor/7639548

What a moron.

• Advertisement

Tested 20 months ago, only 5 months test left. You'd want to thoroughly inspect that car before buying. You're probably right, for that price there must be intergalactic miles on it. Wouldn't bother me that much in itself.

Cars Ireland reckons it's an auto. But the ad says manual and clutch and flywheel fitted. In this case my guess is that Cars Ireland is wrong for once :D

unkel wrote: »
    Tested 20 months ago, only 5 months test left. You'd want to thoroughly inspect that car before buying. You're probably right, for that price there must be intergalactic miles on it. Wouldn't bother me that much in itself.

Cars Ireland reckons it's an auto. But the ad says manual and clutch and flywheel fitted. In this case my guess is that Cars Ireland is wrong for once :D

Or the seller hasn't a clue :)

EDIT: I checked carcheck.ie and it's coming back as a manual, and it's the Ambiente model so I think it has climate control and I've checked it's NCT details and it isn't coming back as a registered taxi so maybe, just maybe it isn't a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'd wager this is an ex taxi with unbelievably high KM but if you don't care about that sort of thing:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-for-sale/7638801

NCT 02/15 and 1600e

In no way is the below car belong in this thread but I just wanted to show what some people think are acceptable photos when selling a car:

What a moron.

That Audi is the worst collection of pics I've ever seen in an ad bar none !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

CJhaughey wrote: »

Always liked the front of them. Pity there's a C in the middle of the reg :P
    I wonder if it needs a new radio set up, if the CD player isn't working. I think you can swap that radio with the sat nav version.

In Bangernomics one of the cardinal rules is to ignore anything that isn't related to tax, test or mechanical reliability.
    Colour, Interior and Reg are of minor importance at this level.;)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    In Bangernomics one of the cardinal rules is to ignore anything that isn't related to tax, test or mechanical reliability.
    Colour, Interior and Reg are of minor importance at this level.;)

Of course dear sir :)
    I remember when the ad for that Accord first came out, loved it.
    This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyN9y0BEMqc

I think it was all done with CGI but it must have taken an age!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Weren't those early Honda diesel's troublesome?

I'd be all over that if it was a petrol though. Looks well. They are nice places to sit too.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Weren't those early Honda diesel's troublesome?

I'd be all over that if it was a petrol though. Looks well. They are nice places to sit too.

Yeah they had the manifold cracking problem which I believe was near enough 1k to put right.
    Someone told me here before that if after 10 years it hasn't happened then it will probably be fine.

• Advertisement

How about this then Moneymaker:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord/7426240

Tis the older version Accord but it's the 2.0, NCT until 04/15 new timing belt (sort of) and it's only 700e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What a moron.

What the f0ck is wrong with some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Any starter cars about .4 Door 1,0 for sale by the owner not a reseller that is selective with his English. in Dublin would be good thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

What the f0ck is wrong with some people?

he is in navan -thats the issue;):D:pac:

Here is another one from the school of vaseline on the lens.
    32318600.jpeg

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/accord/mint-honda-accord-sport/6237352

lovely clean 2001 ,long nctd ,accord sport here which is from my own watchlist on adverts as a refined replacement when I sell my Ignis sport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Yeah they had the manifold cracking problem which I believe was near enough 1k to put right.
    Someone told me here before that if after 10 years it hasn't happened then it will probably be fine.

Lots of timing chain problems on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Exhaust or inlet? How could an exhaust manifold crack cost that to repair? Unless its made from unobtanium alloy.:eek:

exhaust as far as I know

• Advertisement

'05 607 NCT 02/15 - looks clean!

32858461.jpeg

Asking €2k, but I'd say €1,600 would take it

4 owners though, not 2 as claimed...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement