Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Never ever seen a spoiler on the back of a 95, at first glance I thought it was a photo of a old civic saloon.

Lovely car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

unkel wrote: »
    '05 Saab 9-5 (no sludge problems!)

97k miles, NCT 06/15, asking €1,750

32429695.jpeg

This for me is what this thread is all about! lots of test, lovely interior and exterior and people will think that is worth a lot more than the asking price :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well then Ded_Zebra you will love this ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/car/lexus/gs/1998-lexus-gs-300-for-sale/6313263

Even more luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    This for me is what this thread is all about! lots of test, lovely interior and exterior and people will think that is worth a lot more than the asking price :cool:

And there's more. There's every chance that you can drive this car for 2 or 3 years and only need to spend peanuts on maintenance. It's a very reliable car and there really isn't much to go wrong or that's expensive to maintain. No timing belt for starters :)

@pippip - agreed that the spoiler is horrific and the wheels wouldn't be my choice either to put it mildly, but for the best bangernomics deals, you'd often need to make a few concessions...

bear1 wrote: »
    Well then Ded_Zebra you will love this ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/car/lexus/gs/1998-lexus-gs-300-for-sale/6313263

Even more luxury

Nice and all, but only 4 months NCT and €1,500 tax (the Saab is €700 to tax)

• Advertisement

Look at the price difference though ;)
    Personally though I would go for the Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

but its 1k cheaper to buy than the saab. if you haggle hard you could buy the lexus and tax it for the year for not much more than the asking price of the saab. i know where id rather be.

Or... if we want to look at a cheap diesel family saloon with fairly high miles with a long NCT then look no further:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/7632241

if you haggle hard you could buy the lexus and tax it for the year for not much more than the asking price of the saab.

You reckon you could buy the Lexus for a bit over €250 then? :p

I'm the first to say, it's a nice car. More refined, more luxury, silky straight 6, auto, RWD. But it is nearly twice as old as the Saab.

Ded_Zebras favourite point about bangernomics is that people think it's worth a lot more than the asking price. That will hold for the '05 Saab but not so much for the '98 Lexus...

I'm the first to say, it's a nice car. More refined, more luxury, silky straight 6, RWD. But it is nearly twice as old as the Saab.

Ded_Zebras favourite point about bangernomics is that people think it's worth a lot more than the asking price. That will hold for the '05 Saab but not so much for the '98 Lexus...

I think they might think it is :)

Or if not I'm going to go against what I just said because I like the Lexus more :p I would be more lightly to drive it myself TBH

• Advertisement

I'd say you could get the Lexus at the 700 mark.
    I see where you're coming from, but I think at first glance people would be hard pushed to believe you've bought such a Lexus for 7/800e.
    The Saab falls into that category as well.

Now I generally feel there is better value for money in the upper end of the bangernomics budget, but I'm posting 2 cars here well below €1k. Both 2l so relatively cheap tax (€710) and both a shortish NCT (01/15) and both under 100k miles. Good value though:

'03 Sonata, asking €850

32733268.jpeg

'03 9-5, asking €890 (from a dealer, so comes with warranty)

32727554.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'm the first to say, it's a nice car. More refined, more luxury, silky straight 6, auto, RWD. But it is nearly twice as old as the Saab.

Newer isn't always better.

That saab is nearly 10 years old and the lexus nearly 17 years old at this stage. both are old cars now and should be judged on condition rather than the number on the plate imo.

On another note those old Lexus are top quality vehicles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

'03 9-5, asking €890 (from a dealer, so comes with warranty)

32727554.jpeg

Pretty sure you'd need to litigate to establish a warranty there

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Newer isn't always better.

No need trying to convince me, I'd rather drive the Lexus myself :D

Just arguing one of the interesting aspects of (some) bangernomics cars. The point Ded_Zebra made about perceived value of the car

Show anyone in the street (not bangernomics experts obviously :p) a picture of a well kept '06 Laguna, '05 9-5, '07 Vectra, '06 Mondeo, '06 Scenic, etc. (all from this thread) and no one would reckon any of them is worth less than €2k. I'd say most people reckon those cars to be worth upwards of €4k

no, i said a little it more than the asking price of the saab. i do reckon you could buy it for 500.

you'd also be the first to say to anyone else to pick a bigger, striaght 6, auto RWD as opposed to the fwd 4 banger for the sake of the first 2 digits on the reg plate.

that particular saab imo has had a skangerish past. i wouldn't be surprised if the same seller had another advert up for a set of used saab coilovers.

is that a mk6 mitsubishi lancer spoiler cobbled onto the saab.

don't get me wrong either, i understand what the saab represents in terms of values here. i just have a horn for the lexus :pac:

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you'd need to litigate to establish a warranty there

Small claims court is the best friend of the person buying bangernomics from a dealer. €25 will be the grand total of your legal fees :D

I don't think I should post anymore Lexus' :D

New NCT. Dreadful wheels and for the most part looks a bit rough around the edges. Also IMO black leather is the single worst and ugliest thing someone can spec in any car. Putting that aside, for €990 its not so bad :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/97-mercedes-s320-with-new-nct/7625923

32789198.jpeg

indeed. someone really wanted to make a statement specing silver paint with black seats :)

• Advertisement

W140. Skangered and all, yuk :p

If I were to buy a €1k car with €2k tax, it would need to have a V8 engine. No NCTd W220 on donedeal but there is a €1k E38 (probably posted here before):

32205969.jpeg

Milage is getting up there but looks like a nice car for the money to me :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-avant/7627741

32797547.jpeg

This thread used to be thick with these, They're starting to get thin on the ground now. Personally I think they look really nice, especially from the back.

NCT 1/15 only but it looks very clean and has low milage

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-bravo-sx/7631067?sv=1

32812787.jpeg

What in the name of ****e are those yokes on the center vents??

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

'05 Saab 9-5 (no sludge problems!)

97k miles, NCT 06/15, asking €1,750

32429695.jpeg
    any idea what the mpg would be like on this ?

Official figures put it at 32mpg.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-m-jet-turismo/7399153

I'd say you could definitely get this within budget.
    Long NCT, reliable engine but cloth seats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

When that lad says an opel diesel engine I worry. I know very little about alfas but know a little about SAABs. If he is talking about the fiat 1.9 then happy days but if it is an old opel diesel I would be wary. SAAB used an opel (GM) 2.2L diesel and it was not known for being good.

Any alfa lovers here know who made the engine in her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

When that lad says an opel diesel engine I worry. I know very little about alfas but know a little about SAABs. If he is talking about the fiat 1.9 then happy days but if it is an old opel diesel I would be wary. SAAB used an opel (GM) 2.2L diesel and it was not known for being good.

Any alfa lovers here know who made the engine in her?

Same engine as my vectra SRi. Lovely engine once swirl flap & EGR issues are put right. Good for 52-53 MPG in my experience and very torquey,

• Advertisement

The 1.9 unit is a Fiat engine which was then used in Saabs and Opels so the guy is right but got it the wrong way around.
    Also, in the Alfa there were no swirl flaps issues so it is a slightly more reliable engine than the other versions.
    AFAIK it's the block which is the same but the ancillaries are different on the Opel/Saab versions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement