Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a thread in AH that is allowing offensive language about women

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sounds like just my bag tbh. :)

It's a genuine suggestion, that I've made before on a couple of occasions irrc. I think there's a want and a need for such a forum. AH and it's inherent devil may care crudeness isn't for everyone. But as far as I'm aware it's the only real 'general topics' forum on here (although I could be wrong on that... are there other 'general topics' forums? There's 'Humanities', but that's {going by it's charter} more of a 'serious' forum). I could see a more PG friendly, PC adherent, AH companion forum serving a very real purpose. To the benefit of AH, the people that like it's 'edginess', the people that don't, and the mods and admins and bystanders that have to deal with the friction caused by both those groups grinding against each other (giggity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

strobe wrote: »
    It's a genuine suggestion, that I've made before on a couple of occasions irrc. I think there's a want and a need for such a forum. AH and it's inherent devil may care crudeness isn't for everyone. But as far as I'm aware it's the only real 'general topics' forum on here (although I could be wrong on that... are there other 'general topics' forums? There's 'Humanities', but that's {going by it's charter} more of a 'serious' forum). I could see a more PG friendly, PC adherent, AH companion forum serving a very real purpose. To the benefit of AH, the people that like it's 'edginess', the people that don't, and the mods and admins and bystanders that have to deal with the friction caused by both those groups grinding against each other (giggity).

But who would I argue with then?

Serious answer: AH would be a very boring place if everyone agreed. I'm probably considered a member of the "PC brigade" but I've been posting in there since November 2007; I'm an AH veteran at this stage :cool:. Who stays and who goes?

I wouldn't post in the kind of place you're describing because although I'm not a fan of sexism, racism (or what I perceive those things to be and don't always agree with the individual who bandies those words about) etc, I like the banter, the jokes and the back and forth debate with people of different opinions and I'm not so PC that I'm a humourless bore. I might lose my cool now and then but isn't that what makes the place interestingand why people keep coming back for more (not me specifically losing my cool but the general back and forth of different opinons)?

Those looking for a sterilised version of the place and those looking for a free-for-all are as bad as each other; no one has a right to demand what others should hold as their point of view but there does have to be guidelines and there is a middle ground. Do you really believe there'd ever be a forum where people can say and do what they like? You are aware of The Dome, aren't you and what happened there? This is one feedback thread started by a handful of people, this is not the whole PC Brigade up in arms. I didn't like that thread but I don't agree a lot of what's being said by posters here; we don't all possess one hive mind.

We already have humanities and other forums for those more serious topics. AH is grand as far as I can see but I do hate the "drive by" trolls who post only to wind up. People go on about how the place has deteriorated but people have been moaning about that since I started posting in there. I'd say less moaning about AH and more just getting on with it and rolling with the punches (up to a point).

I certainly wouldn't post in the forum you're describing and I really doubt people would just willingly slip into their assigned forums without complaint. I'm a "PC lefty liberal" but I'm not a total bore!

strobe wrote: »

It exists!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1292

Full of sunshine and lollipops too :D

Joking aside this hypothetical forum sounds like sort of nursing home for the argument-exhausted. You'd likely have it populated by posters of like minds, and that tends to kill discussion.

Thread after thread of polite agreement...as bad as AH can be sometimes, that sounds like hell itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Hmm, not too long ago Teddy you started a thread in this very forum complaining that people were taking the mickey out of you for a thread you started and you wanted special treatment because you couldn't take it any more, so it's a bit rich for you of all people to be suggesting people leave Boards if they don't like something.
    No doubt of course the thread that started all this will come back to haunt the OP of that thread too, such is the nature of the internet.

It's a little different.
    I'm not being offended by anything as opposed to being slightly irritated at times.
    When the phrase "Blast is with piss" and "Your ma!" were overused in AH it was agreed to ban them. Earphone gate references have become my personal "Your ma" and "Blast it with piss". But big deal right, I'll live.

People need to not be so easily offended on boards.
    This is a heavily moderated site to begin with.
    How far to people want to go with this?
    Do people really want to see even more censorship?

• Advertisement

It's a little different.
    I'm not being offended by anything as opposed to being slightly irritated at times.
    When the phrase "Blast is with piss" and "Your ma!" were overused in AH it was agreed to ban them. Earphone gate references have become my personal "Your ma" and "Blast it with piss". But big deal right, I'll live.

People need to not be so easily offended on boards.
    This is a heavily moderated site to begin with.
    How far to people want to go with this?
    Do people really want to see even more censorship?

It's not different at all. The thread Czarasm posted was the most precious thing I've ever read in my life. You'd swear you were some laid-back poster who took everything on the chin but you're obviously not. You're not really one to talk, TT. Sorry.

It's not different at all. The thread Czarasm posted was the most precious thing I've ever read in my life. You'd swear you were some laid-back poster who took everything on the chin but you're obviously not. You're not really one to talk, TT. Sorry.

Well you see it actually is. That thread was about being derailed and constantly being hijacked by a certain clique that exists on boards.
    As for being offended I have a very laid back attitude.
    During my earlier time on boards I had a fromspring account attached to my signature and received constant messages from trolls telling me to kill myself and such which I took on the chin for an awful long time.
    In the end I was getting bombarded with it that it just wasn't worth my while even checking my messages anymore so there you go.
    I won't even mention what went on in the notorious Thunderdome.

I think Dr. B has reiterated it on boards time and time again. This is the internet, don't take it too seriously. You're bound to meet some trolls and nasty keyboards warriors along the way. Don't take everything with a grain of salt.

It could be easily said then, Teddy, that you shouldn't mistake disagreement on the internet with genuine outrage. Most people, even the most PC of us, are perfectly aware the internet is just the internet. If it gets personal, I am annoyed just as you were when those guys decided to target you.

The thing is, people throw around the word "outraged" too easily. When people debate with you and have a point contrary to your own, it doesn't make them outraged. I might not like something posted in there but I'm not going around punching walls over it. I simply read it, dislike it, choose to debate it or not, get on with my day. Sometimes it gets personal and sometimes I am more annoyed than I probably should be but if it's just a contrary opinion to my own, I might debate furiously but I'm not "outraged". Very little actually outrages me outside the internet. Just because people spend their time debating a topic to pass the time, doesn't mean they're angry. As you say, Teddy, it's only the internet and don't assume someone is frothing at the mouth because they've expressed their dislike for something written.

I'm sure this issue is not keeping Username awake at night contrary to what some people believe.

It could be easily said then, Teddy, that you shouldn't mistake disagreement on the internet with genuine outrage. Most people, even the most PC of us, are perfectly aware the internet is just the internet. If it gets personal, I am annoyed just as you were when those guys decided to target you.

The thing is, people throw around the word "outraged" too easily. When people debate with you and have a point contrary to your own, it doesn't make them outraged. I might not like something posted in there but I'm not going around punching walls over it. I simply read it, dislike it, choose to debate it or not, get on with my day. Sometimes it gets personal and sometimes I am more annoyed than I probably should be but if it's just a contrary opinion to my own, I might debate furiously but I'm not "outraged". Very little actually outrages me outside the internet. Just because people spend their time debating a topic to pass the time, doesn't mean they're angry. As you say, Teddy, it's only the internet and don't assume someone is frothing at the mouth because they've expressed their dislike for something written.

I'm sure this issue is not keeping Username awake at night contrary to what some people believe.
    For sure.
    When I post in AH I'd like to think I'm not offending anyone with any of my comments.
    I certainly would never try to personally offend anyone and am fairly sure I never have on boards.

For sure.
    When I post in AH I'd like to think I'm not offending anyone with any of my comments.
    I certainly would never try to personally offend anyone and am fairly sure I never have on boards.

The issue is not with you though, I'm talking generally.

• Advertisement

The issue is not with you though, I'm talking generally.

Oh I know :)

Advertisement