Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a thread in AH that is allowing offensive language about women

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And yes, fat wanker is a sexist term because it's gender specific, but wanker refers to a male who masturbates, which all men do, so it doesn't carry the same level of insult as bitch which is a comparison to a female dog, calling someone a bitch is to imply they are only as good as a female dog, specifically because it's female. Female dogs are considered less valuable than male dogs in terms of breeding, so the term bitch carries the same connotation, females are worth less than males. Wanker doesn't have the same comparison. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a sexist derogatory term for men that is an equivalent for bitch. Certainly there are terms that are crude words for male genitalia, but they do not imply by their use that males are worth less than females.
    Talk about trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. I'm not sure even you believe what you're saying. It seems the only way to perceive sexism in the first post is to overthink it to the point of ridiculousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Dades wrote: »
    Talk about trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. I'm not sure even you believe what you're saying. It seems the only way to perceive sexism in the first post is to overthink it to the point of ridiculousness.

Well you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. I don't think it's ok to go round referring to women as bitches, ho's, scangers or any other derogatory term. Same way I don't think racist or homophobic terms are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I don't think it's ok to go round referring to women as bitches, ho's, scangers or any other derogatory term....
    But it might be okay to refer to one particular woman in such terms: then the debate can be about whether she merits the description, not about how women in general are represented.

You're picking the wrong ground on which to make a stand. That actually matters, because picking bad fights makes it more difficult for people to fight the good fight.

But it might be okay to refer to one particular woman in such terms: then the debate can be about whether she merits the description, not about how women in general are represented.

You're picking the wrong ground on which to make a stand. That actually matters, because picking bad fights makes it more difficult for people to fight the good fight.

I dont think it is ok to refer to one particular woman using those terms though, in the same way that I dont think it would be ok to refer to Barack Obama using a racial slur and then try to argue that because I wasnt referring to ALL black people that the term wasnt meant to be racist. We shouldnt tolerate racist terms and we shouldnt tolerate sexist terms.

If there was no problem with the terms used in the original OP then why was it rewritten, toned down, and infractions handed out?

Your assessment of what constitutes a good or bad fight is in error on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I dont think it is ok to refer to one particular woman using those terms though, in the same way that I dont think it would be ok to refer to Barack Obama using a racial slur and then try to argue that because I wasnt referring to ALL black people that the term wasnt meant to be racist. We shouldnt tolerate racist terms and we shouldnt tolerate sexist terms.

If there was no problem with the terms used in the original OP then why was it rewritten, toned down, and infractions handed out?

Your assessment of what constitutes a good or bad fight is in error on this one.

Do you think she shouldn't be referred to as a fat bitch because it's sexist though? Yes it's not a nice term to use to describe the woman but it's no more sexist than some one describing a doorman as a ****ing gorrilla, a policeman as a ****ing pig or a random man as a stupid wanker.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    Do you think she shouldn't be referred to as a fat bitch because it's sexist though? Yes it's not a nice term to use to describe the woman but it's no more sexist than some one describing a doorman as a ****ing gorrilla, a policeman as a ****ing pig or a random man as a stupid wanker.

Bumper I can only recommend to you that you read back over this thread where it's been explained more than once why the term is sexist. I'm not going over it again, if it's not clear after the variety of posts explaining it here, it never will be.

Bumper I can only recommend to you that you read back over this thread where it's been explained more than once why the term is sexist. I'm not going over it again, if it's not clear after the variety of posts explaining it here, it never will be.

You mean like this one where you claim
    it doesn't carry the same level of insult as bitch which is a comparison to a female dog, calling someone a bitch is to imply they are only as good as a female dog, specifically because it's female. Female dogs are considered less valuable than male dogs in terms of breeding, so the term bitch carries the same connotation, females are worth less than males. 

Claiming something is sexist is one thing but grasping at weak straws as you did above to try to justify your hand wringing is just....well.....sad.

You mean like this one where you claim

Claiming something is sexist is one thing but grasping at weak straws as you did above to try to justify your hand wringing is just....well.....sad.

That's grand bumper, it's clear you don't get it, difficult concepts are not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

You do your argument no favours by resorting to insults, username.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    You do your argument no favours by resorting to insults, username.

Nor does bumper by dismissing validly raised concerns as "screaming sexism" or "hand wringing". However it appears it's ok for some to get personal eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

So bumper not regarding your concerns as valid warrants insulting his intelligence?

That's grand bumper, it's clear you don't get it, difficult concepts are not for everyone.

What don't i get? You're claiming the words "fat bitch" is sexist and degrading to ALL women when it's clearly (to the majority of people) that it's not. Is pig, gorilla or wanker sexist and degrading to ALL MEN?

Nor does bumper by dismissing validly raised concerns as "screaming sexism" or "hand wringing". However it appears it's ok for some to get personal eh?

Where did i "get personal"?

Where did i "get personal"?

When you used the terms "screaming sexism" (to infer hysteria when in fact all that was happening was a discussion) and when you called my raised concerns "hand wringing"(which you were using to undermine my opinions).

Both of those posts were just disrespectful. You can make your point without trying to undermine the other persons by using terms like that.

There's little point in this, you cannot understand why the terms used were sexist despite repeated explanations. I can't see why you don't get it, and you resorted to dismissive rude terms towards me resulting in me dismissing your intelligence, so it's going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,695 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When you used the terms "screaming sexism" (to infer hysteria when in fact all that was happening was a discussion) and when you called my raised concerns "hand wringing"(which you were using to undermine my opinions).

Both of those posts were just disrespectful. You can make your point without trying to undermine the other persons by using terms like that.

There's little point in this, you cannot understand why the terms used were sexist despite repeated explanations. I can't see why you don't get it, and you resorted to dismissive rude terms towards me resulting in me dismissing your intelligence, so it's going nowhere.

Stop. It was criticism, ("grasping at weak straws as you did above to try to justify your hand wringing is just....well.....sad.") not personal abuse.

I guess some people are so sensitive they will see insults and sexist remarks everywhere, even when there are none. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The problem I have with that post is that it seeks to define what's 'respectuful' and 'disrespectful' in such away as to effectively silence anyone who disagrees, and define certain other words and terms in a similar fashion. There are certain message boards where this kind of thing is rampant, the result being a never ending cycle of back slapping, interspersed with the odd witch hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I guess some people are so sensitive they will see insults and sexist remarks everywhere, even when there are none. :rolleyes:
    Nodin wrote: »
    The problem I have with that post is that it seeks to define what's 'respectuful' and 'disrespectful' in such away as to effectively silence anyone who disagrees, and define certain other words and terms in a similar fashion. There are certain message boards where this kind of thing is rampant, the result being a never ending cycle of back slapping, interspersed with the odd witch hunt.

Indeed.

You only have to see how the old 'homophobia card' is trotted out around here ad nauseam.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Indeed.

You only have to see how the old 'homophobia card' is trotted out around here ad nauseam.

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Must not feed

Are you calling me fat,you sexyist pig:mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement

crockholm wrote: »
    Are you calling me fat,you sexyist pig:mad:

:pac:

Why thank you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Is there any love for the idea of a "During Hours" (I'm not good at names, ok) forum or something similar, where the more delicate souls on boards.ie could be ushered gently over to when the horrors of the bold words, mild impoliteness and risqué opinions in AH get a bit too much for them? A kind of retirement community or rest home for the terminally offended on boards?

strobe wrote: »
    Is there any love for the idea of a "During Hours" (I'm not good at names, ok) forum or something similar, where the more delicate souls on boards.ie could be ushered gently over to when the horrors of the bold words, mild impoliteness and risqué opinions in AH get a bit too much for them? A kind of retirement community or rest home for the terminally offended on boards?

Office hours!

They can all.stand around the water cooler tut tutting to each other about how the whippersnappers in AH are bold brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There already is.

It's called The Ladies Lounge.:cool:

Office hours!

They can all.stand around the water cooler tut tutting to each other about how the whippersnappers in AH are bold brats.

I LOVE this idea.

Just to observe, like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

There already is.

It's called The Ladies Lounge.:cool:

FlyYouFools.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Sounds like just my bag tbh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Indeed.

Rather a different issue, for a different thread I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This has been one entertaining thread :D
    Feedback is absolutely comical. I find it hard to believe some of these people on boards who claim to be offended by every last little thing.
    The way I look at it is this is boards.ie yea and if you don't like you can, if you don't like well then you can... leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

This has been one entertaining thread :D
    Feedback is absolutely comical. I find it hard to believe some of these people on boards who claim to be offended by every last little thing.
    The way I look at it is this is boards.ie yea and if you don't like you can, if you don't like well then you can... leave.

Hmm, not too long ago Teddy you started a thread in this very forum complaining that people were taking the mickey out of you for a thread you started and you wanted special treatment because you couldn't take it any more, so it's a bit rich for you of all people to be suggesting people leave Boards if they don't like something.
    No doubt of course the thread that started all this will come back to haunt the OP of that thread too, such is the nature of the internet.

Advertisement