Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark souls II - PC Thread

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

now, we can't be expected to venture into the spoilertastic main dark souls 2 thread.. at least not for a couple of weeks. people can migrate over naturally as they complete the game but we're surely entitled to have our own little playground to experience what will probably be the finest game of the year together, as a family.

so here we are. four days to go.
    Dark Souls 2.

im actually going to buy it on steam as I want it asa(feasibly)p on the 25th. gona try for the DS2 equivelant of a dex build, although from the videos i saw before it was released the first time it looked like some of the str options would actually be interesting. every time I tried a non dex in DS i got bored at the slow movement and the monstrous amount of back tracking you have to do but with the
    fast travel enabled from the get go in DS2, that would seem to be less of an issue.

I've read a couple of things about it before it was released but i've forgotten most of them now. One or two things are threatening to jump back into mind (and I did actually spoiler something huge on myself by accidentally clicking into the dark souls 2 thread, accidentally highlighting a spoilered post and accidentally reading a few sentences) but I'm going into this one almost completely blind. I don't even know much about the areas, the weapons, the stats, the characters... this is going to be better than a girls generation music video.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Good idea for the thread, have been purposely avoiding the other thread the last few weeks.... cant wait till the weekend... glad I haven't went with the console version just for the better first play-through experience.

Probably gonna go with some dex build to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Everyone dies!!!!!!!! How do you like that spoiler!!! :D

Looks like prices shot up madly. It was 25eu on most cd key websites, now it is around 38-40eu. I will be getting it on pc too, but not sure when. Sort of got my fix already on ps3 and I am really busy with diablo 3 and world of tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Just a suggestion but what about having this thread over on the steam or future pc gaming forum?
    That aside, good idea for a thread.I've been trying to avoid spoilers myself as much as possible.Hopefully will pick this up on launch, although I might give the first one another spin. I've attempted it about 5 times between the xbox and PC and still have never completed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't even know much about the areas, the weapons, the stats, the characters... this is going to be better than a girls generation music video.

Well you're already wrong there !!
    Nothing is better than amazing hot k-pop vids
    (you need to check out

Anyways, on topic...I'll be getting this...but still trying to trudge my way through the first one on PC. Was playing it yesterday for the first time in a while, I think I might need a walkthrough or something...not sure where to go.

Is this already optimised for PC or do we need things like DSFix again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Finished NG on PS3 but going balls deep on PC version. Have been itching to get back playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

What are ye like with the cute K/J pop music vids?

Dark Souls calls for METAL!

Fnz wrote: »
    What are ye like with the cute K/J pop music vids?

At least in our vids they are legal, hot and have somewhat catchy tunes :P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    At least in our vids they are legal, hot and have somewhat catchy tunes :P

Clearly, you can't handle the heavy, heavy monster sound. Go back to, err... Skyrim!? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Me & a buddy of mine have ours pre-ordered, can't wait to get stuck in on release!

I'v been avoiding any type of articles or info regarding the game. I want to go into this with a completely fresh head and experience everything like I did for the first time in Dark Souls 1

• Advertisement

DS2 will be my entry to the series. I know there's value in going in blind, and know very little about the world, but I have a low tolerance for poorly explained systems.

Are there any good primers for DS2, particularly in regard to building a character that "works"?

Go with weapons/armor that suits you rather than their stats. You can do quite well in PvE or PvP with any weapon if you are skilled at using it. The only gripe I had with PvP combat in Dark Souls 1 was certain weapons had constant stunlocks such as the curved greatswords, so basically if you got hit once you literally had to watch yourself die and not do anything because stunlocking didn't allow you to parry or dodge. Other than that combat relies heavily on your skills/tactics rather than the strength of the weapon.

So if you find a weapon/armor that suits you well for your playstyle, you have found a character that "works". Stat progression is only really important for actually equipping weapons or using spells etc

Pyromancy was always viable in Dark Souls 1 because it required soul investment rather than stat investment, technically any character in the game can use pyromancy regardless of their stats because all you needed to do was upgrade your flame to cast them. Pyromancy may have changed for Dark Souls 2 but if it follows the same progression as Dark Souls 1 then Pyromancy will be very handy to have.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Finished NG on PS3 but going balls deep on PC version. Have been itching to get back playing!

I'm doing the exact same. Finished it once on PS3 but can't stand the fps to continue playing it. Looking forward to that smooooth 60 fps

Cravez wrote: »
    Go with weapons/armor that suits you rather than their stats. You can do quite well in PvE or PvP with any weapon if you are skilled at using it. The only gripe I had with PvP combat in Dark Souls 1 was certain weapons had constant stunlocks such as the curved greatswords, so basically if you got hit once you literally had to watch yourself die and not do anything because stunlocking didn't allow you to parry or dodge. Other than that combat relies heavily on your skills/tactics rather than the strength of the weapon.

So if you find a weapon/armor that suits you well for your playstyle, you have found a character that "works". Stat progression is only really important for actually equipping weapons or using spells etc

Pyromancy was always viable in Dark Souls 1 because it required soul investment rather than stat investment, technically any character in the game can use pyromancy regardless of their stats because all you needed to do was upgrade your flame to cast them. Pyromancy may have changed for Dark Souls 2 but if it follows the same progression as Dark Souls 1 then Pyromancy will be very handy to have.

That all makes sense. I was more looking for tips on things that might be really oblique or inconsistent. Does weapon damage always scale of the strength stat, for example? Are there moments of 'discovery' that cause you to say "well, it sure sucks that they didn't tell me that sooner"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

from what has been said before the game was released they've done a much clearer job of explaining what the various stats do and how the world works this time around so a new player shouldn't find it as confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Come in expecting Dark Souls 2 screenshots, tech info. All I see are Korean pop vids

GpHarIN.jpg

That said, the PC version seems to be toaster-friendly so I'm glad that's not preventing too many people from being able to play it. Anyone confirmed 60fps cap yet?

Fnz wrote: »
    That all makes sense. I was more looking for tips on things that might be really oblique or inconsistent. Does weapon damage always scale of the strength stat, for example? Are there moments of 'discovery' that cause you to say "well, it sure sucks that they didn't tell me that sooner"?

Each weapon has it's own scale stats, some weapons scale with Dexterity rather than Strength. Or some weapons may scale with both Strength and Intelligence, Intelligence Only, Both Strength and Dexterity etc. The better the scaling, the better the damage done by the weapon if you have high stat investment in those areas. Some weapons have different upgrade paths where if you upgrade it a certain way then the weapon loses it's scaling in favor for stronger base damage.

Yep there are plenty of moment's (in Dark Souls 1 anyway) where you discover things that could have been useful at the time. I'd say as Sir Digby said that they have made the game a lot more accessible to new players but I would still say there won't be a lot of hand holding still, you'll probably have to figure out things on your own or you'll notice them the second time around. To be fair, it's one of the great things about the Souls Series is how you keep learning new things about the game even if you've put in a lot of hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Pre-loaded and waiting. I know almost nothing about this game. Very excited to just get lost in it. I'm sure many people here can appreciate what I'm about to say - Dark Souls ruined a lot of games for me... Almost anything with melee combat to be honest. Couldn't get into Castlevania because it just felt so superficial in comparison (yes, I know it's a different genre). As much as I liked Skyrim, the combat is a joke in comparison.

I don't have Friday booked off work, but you can be sure it'll be a late one Friday night. Praise the Sun!

Pre-loaded and waiting. I know almost nothing about this game. Very excited to just get lost in it. I'm sure many people here can appreciate what I'm about to say - Dark Souls ruined a lot of games for me... Almost anything with melee combat to be honest. Couldn't get into Castlevania because it just felt so superficial in comparison (yes, I know it's a different genre). As much as I liked Skyrim, the combat is a joke in comparison.

I don't have Friday booked off work, but you can be sure it'll be a late one Friday night. Praise the Sun!

You know almost nothing about the game? Or the series as a whole? Best you pick up a joypad if you don't already have one. The game plays really really really bad with a M&K.

well they apparently did a lot of work on the kb/mouse controls for DS2. ill still be joypadding it up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

You know almost nothing about the game? Or the series as a whole? Best you pick up a joypad if you don't already have one. The game plays really really really bad with a M&K.

I played the **** out of Dark Souls and to a lesser extent, Demon's Souls before it. When I say I know almost nothing, I mean I've been avoiding previews, reviews or forums like the plague. I have a DS4 ready and waiting. I played Dark Souls blind for the most part, and I'm gonna do the same with this. I did play the Mirror Knight demo at Eurogamer however, so it's not like I know nothing.

EDIT: I accidentally a word.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Folks, I have some interest in this game, but never really got into DS1. I know I should probably go play that first, but I hear it needs to be modded to be properly playable for the Master Race. I appreciate that this is dragging this particular thread off topic, but what should I do to move zig and is there a quick list of "essential whatsits" for DS1 for PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

from what has been said before the game was released they've done a much clearer job of explaining what the various stats do and how the world works this time around so a new player shouldn't find it as confusing

It mostly does without a bunch of overly simplified hand holding, it is still Dark Souls after all.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Folks, I have some interest in this game, but never really got into DS1. I know I should probably go play that first, but I hear it needs to be modded to be properly playable for the Master Race. I appreciate that this is dragging this particular thread off topic, but what should I do to move zig and is there a quick list of "essential whatsits" for DS1 for PC?

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

drag the .ini's into the dark souls folder, disable in game AA, done

right, just purchased on steam

preloading now

i've decided i'm not gona play any when it unlocks. i'll finish the preload, go to bed and crack into it at 7am full of caffeine and bacon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It unlocks on Friday, right?

I'm gonna trade in my PS3 version, as i've not really played it at all. Hopefully it grabs me a bit more after bit of a break from the Souls games.

midnight unlocking according to steam

well, 2300 on thursday according to steam but.. we'll see

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PcGamer tweak guide here. Not much in it, but gives some sample screenshots.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

Shiminay wrote: »

The essential fix as posted by Chicken Ceasar is the DsFix

I've started playing through DS1 now to try get in the mood for the hype and to maybe play DS2. But it is not a noob friendly game.
    I don't know what level I should be at in certain areas...so I'm not sure if I'm completely underpowered going into ridiculous boss fights that kill me when they accidentally run by me and brush me with their legs (not attacking me)......F*CK YOU GAPING DRAGON.
    Spent a good hour or so last night running the fight him over and over only to get killed in the most ridiculous fashion

I'm trying to avoid going online for strategy and walkthrough guides for bosses...as I guess that will take some of the sweetness from victory.

The items as well, I hope they fix it in DS2...no clue what half of them do in DS1 or why they don't work at certain times etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have it on the 360 since launch and now have it pre loaded on Steam. With exams coming up soon though it looks like I won't be playing much until near the end of May :(

Advertisement