Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

After Melo's decision, Bulls odds to win title next year: 10/1, Knicks odds: 40/1. So in terms of winning, Melo needed the Bulls more than the Bulls needed him, which isn't to say Bulls fans aren't disappointed.

I can kinda see why he stayed, the Knicks will suck next year, but the year after, most of their bad contracts come off. And while the Knicks have been badly run, with Phil Jackson there, there's the promise of that changing. That was the key in keeping him I think, Jackson coming in. If the same decision-making team was in place, he may well have given up the money.

New York's a great place, the Knicks have great fans, he's getting paid, his wife's happy. Better chance of success in Chicago, but there's never any guarantees of that.

As Woj said a few days ago: "Within Anthony's circle, belief's been this: get NY's $129M now, figure out destination later. You can always get a trade."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

but come on, nosh was not what delivered Miami those 2 championships, it was LeJon. Anyone remember Bosh's points total from Game 7 2013? 0.

Bosh gets far too much stick on here.

What about his game 6, when he made big defensive play after big defensive play and eventually blocked Danny Green's 3 to give Miami the win? That game 7 in question he was immense on defense too, an excellent breakdown of it here.

Of course he didn't contribute as much as LeBron, no one did, but without him the Heat wouldn't have done what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

@MySportsLegion
    Carmelo Anthony's letter:

I love money.

Sincerely,
    Melo

Bulls, Rockets and Lakers finializing a 3 team trade. Pau goes to Bulls, Lakers get expiring contracts and picks, no idea what the Rockets get as of yet.

If Reinsdorf could get rid of Boozer without paying him the amnesty he would jizz himself to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Melo would be taking a major punt on Rose's health too, for fifty odd mil less. Would be insane to leave that money, these guys don't look at these figures the way "regular people" do ( no difference between 70m and 120 odd million - damn right there is to elite athletes, we'll in most cases )

It's a down year ahead for NY but next season you never know with that cap space. It doesn't look like that will be many obvious free agents that would fit well though this time next year, anyone jump out?? They'll have the space surely.

• Advertisement

Melo would be taking a major punt on Rose's health too, for fifty odd mil less. Would be insane to leave that money, these guys don't look at these figures the way "regular people" do ( no difference between 70m and 120 odd million - damn right there is to elite athletes, we'll in most cases )

It's a down year ahead for NY but next season you never know with that cap space. It doesn't look like that will be many obvious free agents that would fit well though this time next year, anyone jump out?? They'll have the space surely.

Rajon Rondo or Marc Gasol would be the two most likely at the minute IMO, but as we all know things change spectacularly quickly in the NBA.

Either way, Melo won't be winning a ring with New York. With his contract and the sort of money the big free agents would be looking for next year, they're never going to have enough space to put together the sort of depth needed.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gasol will sign with the Bulls.

Ah crap. Ariza is off to Houston.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Gasol will sign with the Bulls.

Obviously it doesn't make up for missing out on Melo and we still have a huge wing scoring need, but I like the acquisition.

Despite suffering with injuries he put up 17.4 and 9.7 a night over 60 games last season in a very poor team, while shooting 48%. In addition, he's a much better defender than Boozer and it allows Gibson, a likely 6th man of the year candidate, to do what he does best off the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

LeBron's contract is only for 2 years and is worth $42 million. He can become a free agent next summer, can't imagine that happening though after all this homecoming talk.

• Advertisement

LeBron's contract is only for 2 years and is worth $42 million. He can become a free agent next summer, can't imagine that happening though after all this homecoming talk.

He's certainly no fool, he'll be up for renewal when the new TV deal comes in.

Wants another quick ring. Testing his team for the first year to see if they have the potential to win. If it completely fails he can leave and go chase somewhere else. It's a young team so if it's a success he'll sign a max after the 2 years. My opinion/forecast.

42 mill? He's still not earning more than Bosh per year, NBA salary wise anyway.

Wants another quick ring. Testing his team for the first year to see if they have the potential to win. If it completely fails he can leave and go chase somewhere else. It's a young team so if it's a success he'll sign a max after the 2 years. My opinion/forecast.

42 mill? He's still not earning more than Bosh per year, NBA salary wise anyway.

I'd disagree. He said himself the below in his essay with Sports Illustrated:
    I’m not promising a championship. I know how hard that is to deliver. We’re not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to win next year, but I’m realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2010. My patience will get tested. I know that.

He knows it's likely to take longer than 2 years for them to be in a position to win a Championship. He'll be there long-term, end of career long-term IMO. He just can't leave again after everything and he said in the above article that "I always believed I'd return to Cleveland and finish my career there."

There's the new television deal coming in a couple of years and the money will filter down from the teams to the players meaning that waiting 2 years to sign a maximum deal as opposed to doing it now will pay off for him in the long run.

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd disagree. He said himself the below in his essay with Sports Illustrated:

He knows it's likely to take longer than 2 years for them to be in a position to win a Championship. He'll be there long-term, end of career long-term IMO. He just can't leave again after everything and he said in the above article that "I always believed I'd return to Cleveland and finish my career there."

There's the new television deal coming in a couple of years and the money will filter down from the teams to the players meaning that waiting 2 years to sign a maximum deal as opposed to doing it now will pay off for him in the long run.

Ah, you've changed my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The differences in the Lebron narratives and realities are funny. First time he took less money to win, people are supposed to love that but he was a villain. This time he took the most money to go to a crap team but now he's the good guy. Not hating on Lebron, just an observation.

But I'd say LeBron might give himself the option to continue to sign one year contracts. That's what Jordan did his last few years with the Bulls.

Deng has been offered near $10m a year with the Heat per Woj. I wonder if he regrets not taking the $10m/3 the Bulls offered before he was traded? It doesn't appear that he'll get the $13m he was looking for now and he might have to settle for less than $10m when all is said and done.

Still, considering how poor the East is Bosh/Wade/Deng probably gives Miami a #4 seed next year, as crazy and all as that seems.

On another note, how are the Knicks 5th favourites for the East at 12/1? In no particular order, I'd have the Wizards, Hawks, Raptors, Hornets and Nets above them. They'll be fighting for an 8th seed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The differences in the Lebron narratives and realities are funny. First time he took less money to win, people are supposed to love that but he was a villain. This time he took the most money to go to a crap team but now he's the good guy. Not hating on Lebron, just an observation.

But I'd say LeBron might give himself the option to continue to sign one year contracts. That's what Jordan did his last few years with the Bulls.

The cavs are far from a crap team they have some serious pieces and bar kyrie they compliment lebron better than wade or bosh did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Wade and LeBron complemented each other absolutely perfectly....Wade simply isn't the player he was even a year ago.

nerd69 wrote: »
    The cavs are far from a crap team they have some serious pieces and bar kyrie they compliment lebron better than wade or bosh did
    The Cavs haven't even come close to making the playoffs since Lebron left. I think it's fair to call them a crap team before he hits up the joint.

Pierce to the Wizards for 2 years. Anyone see that coming?

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/07/13/paul-pierce-wizards.ap/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Pierce to the Wizards for 2 years. Anyone see that coming?

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/07/13/paul-pierce-wizards.ap/index.html

Nope. Thought he'd do one more year as a Net and retire. As a Celtics fan I kinda wish he'd have retired a Celtic last year. He's not playing that well anymore (age related obviously) which makes the 2 year contract daft.

Ridiculous as ever. The Cavs aren't some team devoid of talent, be it now or last season. Players out of form and needed maturing, and Mike Brown was always going to be a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Interesting rumours doing the rounds in Indiana. Suggesting the Pacers are waiting to pick up the soon to be amnestied Carlos Boozer.
    Also trying to trade away Roy Hibbert, Either to Boston, along with Lance (Sign and trade) and a 1st round pick for Rondo and Jeff Green

Or straight up to the Suns for Goran Dragic.

10382517_811248262239181_2162741039482465397_o.png

He probably cut his hair, so he doesn't get confused for Luiz or Dante.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Interesting rumours doing the rounds in Indiana. Suggesting the Pacers are waiting to pick up the soon to be amnestied Carlos Boozer.

It's not a bad fit, no defense, but can create his own shot (even if it's not that efficient).

He's a frustrating player to watch, because he often seems lazy, in thinking and in action. Lazy fouls, unnecessary pushes when going for rebounds that kind of thing. Got really bad in the last year in Chicago, but maybe got a bit disillusioned with Taj Gibson playing the 4th quarters. Wasn't terrible before that.

Maybe you get him motivated again, you'll get ok production. He is quite a skilled offensive player, but his physical attributes are declining at this stage. Tending more and more to jump-shots, and less getting to the rim.

Pick him up cheap and he'll be worth something.

RE: Pierce - how mental does that Nets trade look now (even though it still looked mental at the time)? Three unprotected first round picks for one year of Pierce (along with being able to swap first rounders with the Nets in 2017 if they so wish) and likely just two years of KG. If Ainge can hit on those first round picks that might go down as one of the worst trades ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

padraig_f wrote: »
    It's not a bad fit, no defense, but can create his own shot (even if it's not that efficient).

He's a frustrating player to watch, because he often seems lazy, in thinking and in action. Lazy fouls, unnecessary pushes when going for rebounds that kind of thing. Got really bad in the last year in Chicago, but maybe got a bit disillusioned with Taj Gibson playing the 4th quarters. Wasn't terrible before that.

Maybe you get him motivated again, you'll get ok production. He is quite a skilled offensive player, but his physical attributes are declining at this stage. Tending more and more to jump-shots, and less getting to the rim.

Pick him up cheap and he'll be worth something.

I think Boozer and West could be an effective front court, With the rotation of Scola.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The Cavs haven't even come close to making the playoffs since Lebron left. I think it's fair to call them a crap team before he hits up the joint.

and yet, this crap team in Cleveland beat Indiana when ye hit a slump at the end of last season but no, we'll skip over that part though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

End of it is that yeah, we've struggled over the past 4 years but we're nowhere near as bad as you think. Just because we didn't make the playoffs doesn't mean we're crap. All Star point guard in Kyrie, solid big man in Tristan, #1 pick Wiggins and now LeBron joining the Cavs puts us in with a shot at the East yet again

and yet, this crap team in Cleveland beat Indiana when ye hit a slump at the end of last season but no, we'll skip over that part though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

End of it is that yeah, we've struggled over the past 4 years but we're nowhere near as bad as you think. Just because we didn't make the playoffs doesn't mean we're crap. All Star point guard in Kyrie, solid big man in Tristan, #1 pick Wiggins and now LeBron joining the Cavs puts us in with a shot at the East yet again
    Everyone was beating the Pacers during that run. Not a whole lot to boast about. The 'you can't talk, look at who you support' argument is done to death on here anyway. A fair point all the same, I won't get overly sensitive on it unlike some are liable to do.

I'm not calling the Cavs bad now. Lebron on any team changes everything, not to mention what Wiggins can potentially bring to the table. The Cavs have been stacked with talent for a long time but haven't been able to put it together up until this point. The point I was going for was that for a player of the calibre of Lebron, the Cavs were a 'crap' team in comparison to the quality of teams that a player of his magnitude usually joins.

• Advertisement

FFS, the Bulls obsession with Hinrich is maddening.

ea82c0ef2dbefdb7b3ac557274c693a9.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement