Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how do we think it will end? *SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think the Ironborn have a big part to play in the endgame. It'll roughly boil down to Euron, Dany, and Jon taking on the others with Jaime, Tyrion and other characters arcs resolved before the big showdown. Littlefinger will die somehow and Varys will end up fleeing someplace or another to save his own skin. Aegon is probably fake (although I hope he isn't) and I woud like Howland Reed to make an appearance before the end. The whole Dorne thing will probably boil down to Arianne marrying someone. The Tyrells are a bit more difficult, no POVs so it's hard to know where they're coming from. I'd be surprised if he could wrap it up in two books, there's just too much crap going on.

I just remembered in the TV show for the S2 finale they showed the white walkers approaching the wall, wtf was that about? They won't be heard from for years at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I think the Ironborn have a big part to play in the endgame. It'll roughly boil down to Euron, Dany, and Jon taking on the others with Jaime, Tyrion and other characters arcs resolved before the big showdown. Littlefinger will die somehow and Varys will end up fleeing someplace or another to save his own skin. Aegon is probably fake (although I hope he isn't) and I woud like Howland Reed to make an appearance before the end.

I just remembered in the TV show for the S2 finale they showed the white walkers approaching the wall, wtf was that about? They won't be heard from for years at this rate.

Varys won't be going anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That was the Fist of the First Men.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Varys won't be going anywhere...

I'd like to think that but he can only pull strings from behind the scenes for so long. How do you think he'll impact the endgame? His plan is completely dependent on Aegon who in turn is dependent on Dany so his arc is at her mercy.
    Blay wrote: »

TBH as far as show waters are concerned they're pretty much the same. It's still going to leave people wondering where the hell they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I can see daenerys and/or the dragons being killed off in a surprising manner similar to the Red Wedding and having no part towards the end of the story.

The final battle will be Stannis / Melisandre vs the white walker army up north, with the Starks being allied with Stannis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im confused about this (both from the books and the tv show). Where did they all go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Im confused about this (both from the books and the tv show). Where did they all go?

We don't know where they went at this point. It was just an attack by Wights and Wight animals as far as I recall.

Then Sam kills an Other later escaping Crasters.

The next time we see a Wight, is in Brans ADWD storyline outside the Three Eyed Crow's liar.

And we hear about them again in a letter to Jon, is there loads of Wights north of Eastwatch by the Sea. Dead Things in the water was what I remember from the letter. There is a load of Wildings at port I think trying to get off Westeros, and I think the are under attack at the end of the last book.
    EDIT: They are at Hardhome.

We don't know where the Others army is or how many there are, but they seem to be just boosting their numbers by killing Wildings and turning them into Wights, that seems to be what they are at currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Winter arrives. White walkers and the Wights decimiate everything before them as far as Dorne. Armies freeze to death, the wall is over-run, kings-Landing becomes a ghost town... Everyone ends up trying to board ships across the narrow sea. Last scene we see/read is Dany passing the ships going the other way with a confused look on her face???

:confused::confused::confused:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I can see daenerys and/or the dragons being killed off in a surprising manner similar to the Red Wedding and having no part towards the end of the story.

The final battle will be Stannis / Melisandre vs the white walker army up north, with the Starks being allied with Stannis.
    If that happens fans will go into total meltdown. Her story has been dragged out soooooo much that it better be going somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If that happens fans will go into total meltdown. Her story has been dragged out soooooo much that it better be going somewhere.

It happened to Ned and Robb, it can happen to anyone.

Nothing can be ruled out I would say.

The only thing in her favour now is the length of her story arc.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Robb wasn't a POV and Ned had to die to kick the rest of the story into action.

Dany or the dragons dying without a very, very good reason would be terrible writing. All that crap we had to go through just for her to flop dead would be ridiculous. I do think that one if not two of the dragons will die eventually (maybe even all three) but it would have to be in a climactic fashion. There are quiet a few POVs who will die pretty soon (Barristan for sure, Jaime and Brienne soon enough) but Jon and Dany in particular will be around until the end or thereabouts.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Ned and Robb's deaths effected people because the Stark's played a huge part in the first book. The readers got to know them first and empathise with them. In the bigger scheme of things, neither had the political cunning to be long term players. They alienated their allies and made really bad decisions. Ned never wanted power and even Robb said that he had no plan for what to do if he won the war against the Lannisters. They were never going to get very far. Had we not had so much of the story told from the Stark's pov in the beginning and just saw them from afar, I doubt their deaths would've had the same effect on people.

Dany is different. Once she found her confidence with Drogo, she has been hell bent on taking back the Iron Throne. She has a huge army, good advisors, a real reason to want the throne, a threat to the Lannisters and most importantly, dragons. If she doesn't make it to Westeros, the amount of time that has been invested in her is a joke. I don't mind if she dies but let it at least be in battle and not because of political naivety. That would be a waste of her huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Tyrion looked up. The heavens seemed ablaze as 12 or more fireballs streaked across the blue sky. A solitary comet had signaled the return of dragons to the world before the long winter arrived. A dozen more now heralded their final passing into history.

Epilogue
    Macumber awoke. Groggy and hungover as usual, his giant head thumped as if a war had taken place inside it. He looked in the mirror to see his blue eyes streaked with bloodshot. "Never again", he croaked. "I'm never fucking drinking again!"

It would be great if Littlefinger had set himself up as Lord of Harrenhal, rubbing his hands in glee at how far he had come in life and then the dragons descend and destroy Harrenhal once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bran's eyes opened, he looked around the room and saw all of his family gathered around him, 'you had quite a fall from that tower but you're better now' said the Ned.

Bran got up and ran outside to play in the godswood, it had all been a dream.

The end:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Bran's eyes opened, he looked around the room and saw all of his family gathered around him, 'you had quite a fall from that tower but you're better now' said the Ned.

HAHAHA that's my favourite one so far and I really wouldn't be suprised if it's something along those lines :o:):D

Then Bran tells Ned what he saw and that it was Jamie who pushed him out the window. Ned decapitates Jamie with Ice, Robert headbutts Cersei into paste, Tyrion slaps Joffrey to death, Tommen is spared and sent to the wall and Myrcella becomes Sansa's handmaiden. Robert and Ned amass a huge army and crush Tywin.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Probably there will be no one left alive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I always got the feeling that Ned fathered Jon for a specific reason that he was privy to at the time. That his mother was somehow in the know and set in motion a series of events to ensure the survival of Westeros

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I read a compelling theory that the new high septon is actually Howland Reed. It's hard to look past an ending starring Jon and Dany but there must be some kind of twist. I think the fact of that being such a popular theory is reason enough for GRRM to discard it, even if it was where he was going. I don't care as much about who ends up on the throne as I do about all the little questions being officially answered (Jon's parentage, the fates of benjen, syrio and others, who is "azor ahai reborn" and which religion(s) are the true ones).

• Advertisement

I read a compelling theory that the new high septon is actually Howland Reed. It's hard to look past an ending starring Jon and Dany but there must be some kind of twist. I think the fact of that being such a popular theory is reason enough for GRRM to discard it, even if it was where he was going. I don't care as much about who ends up on the throne as I do about all the little questions being officially answered (Jon's parentage, the fates of benjen, syrio and others, who is "azor ahai reborn" and which religion(s) are the true ones).
    I really hope GRRM doesn't start messing around with the ending just because of fan theories. He will have known for a long time how he wanted his story to play out and I would rather an ending that was predictable but well put together, than something unexpected that doesn't fit together well. There are so many characters with intertwining arcs who he has being shaping for years, that it would be hard for him to completely change everything and keep it all together.

There are far too many plausible and popular fan theories out there for GRRM to start messing with the ending. I just hope he resolves all the smaller character's arcs because there's a lot of loose stories and two books isn't that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I just hope that whatever happens in the TV series will have no effect on how he writes the books.

I just hope that whatever happens in the TV series will have no effect on how he writes the books.

I'd say that ship has sailed to some extent.

I saw a post on reddit - that was quite quickly removed - saying that GRRM will be releasing the last 2 books simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I saw a post on reddit - that was quite quickly removed - saying that GRRM will be releasing the last 2 books simultaneously.

And even if it's totally fictitious, and you have to assume it is, my hopes have been raised now :pac: :(

And even if it's totally fictitious, and you have to assume it is, my hopes have been raised now :pac: :(

I know!!!

I furiously searched the internet for any mention but nothing and the next day the post was gone so presumably because there was no linky it was deemed fiction. But i hope its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

He has stated before that the tv show and fan theories will have absolutely no effect on the end of the series. He did however say that he's been convinced to give Osha more book time because of how well Natalia Tena portrays her. I hope that's the only impact the tv show will have on the books, he seems an honest enough fella so hopefully he sticks to his word..

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I know!!!

I furiously searched the internet for any mention but nothing and the next day the post was gone so presumably because there was no linky it was deemed fiction. But i hope its true!

lol let's not kid ourselves here... I'd say it was taken down quickly because there's no proof of it and the mods or whatever didn't want unnecessary rumours spreading. Knowing GRRM's regular writing routine I'd be surprised if he has half of book 6 finished :pac:

• Advertisement

turnikett1 wrote: »
    lol let's not kid ourselves here... I'd say it was taken down quickly because there's no proof of it and the mods or whatever didn't want unnecessary rumours spreading. Knowing GRRM's regular writing routine I'd be surprised if he has half of book 6 finished :pac:

Let me have my dreams please :p

Advertisement