Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how do we think it will end? *SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

muckisluck wrote: »
    Have we had closure on Benjen Stark. I keep expecting that he will turn up again to save the north.

Definitely will show up in the next book or two, I think Bran will see his death through a weirwood and that will reveal some big secret regarding the Others...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't think there will be an ending, he'll just continue to write books that progress and expand the story but never end it. And then he'll die.

I think its too difficult to end at this stage, there must be 250+ unfinished plot points by now. Getting an answer or resolution to them all in the space of one book would be just a terribly written book full of exposition.

And in truth its makes a lot of sense that there should be no ending. In real life there wouldn't be. There'll always be a contender feeling they've been wronged of whats rightfully theirs and building an army whilst politically undermining the present rulers.

This.

Then after a few years new volumes will come out ghost written as GRR Martin's GOT or some such....

This.

Then after a few years new volumes will come out ghost written as GRR Martin's GOT or some such....

I think he's 100% forbidden anyone else touching his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dany takes south Westoros, Stannis takes the north, they war for a bit and
    Stannis is killed and Jon takes over.

Jon and Dany marry then take on the white walkers.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Dany takes south Westoros, Stannis takes the north, they war for a bit and
    Stannis is killed and Jon takes over.

Jon and Dany marry then take on the white walkers.

But Jon's taken the black? Can anyone ever stop being a brother of the nights watch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Hotale.com wrote: »
    But Jon's taken the black? Can anyone ever stop being a brother of the nights watch?
    They can if they get conveniently stabbed to death by their fellow brothers and die. Death releases someone from their oath. If they're lucky enough to have someone handy like Melisandre on stand by to bring them back from the dead, then they are free to do what they like when they re-animate.

At least that's what a lot of people think is going to happen.

At some stage Melisandre is going to realise that Stannis is not the one she is looking for and drop him like a hot potato. I can't see him ever sitting on the Iron Throne or being as big a threat again as when was when he launched his attack on KL.

When someone wargs into an animal, do they have full control of it? I always imagined that they couldn't actually completely control what they're warging and couldn't be as strong as what they're warging when it's independent... Sorry if that sentence was a bit confusing :pac:

When someone wargs into an animal, do they have full control of it? I always imagined that they couldn't actually completely control what they're warging and couldn't be as strong as what they're warging when it's independent... Sorry if that sentence was a bit confusing :pac:
    If you warg into an animal for a short time you can have full control of the animal. If you stay warged for too long you will start to mould with the animal's mind until eventually you forget all about your human side. If you warg into an animal just before you die and stay in that animal, you will eventually forget who you were and become part of the animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If you died and warged into another person, ie, stole their body, can you still warg into other animals/people or once youve lost the "mothership" is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you died and warged into another person, ie, stole their body, can you still warg into other animals/people or once youve lost the "mothership" is that it?

Maybe it's possible if you do it straight away or very soon after? Not sure really. I don't think it's been really suggested as being possible yet but it's hard to know.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Maybe it's possible if you do it straight away or very soon after? Not sure really. I don't think it's been really suggested as being possible yet but it's hard to know.

Nice way of being immortal if you can.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They can if they get conveniently stabbed to death by their fellow brothers and die. Death releases someone from their oath. If they're lucky enough to have someone handy like Melisandre on stand by to bring them back from the dead, then they are free to do what they like when they re-animate.

At least that's what a lot of people think is going to happen.

But why would someone who thinks so highly of their honour, and was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch at a very young age, turn their back on their brothers? This would really undermine so much of Jon's character.

Unless Jon wakes up from his 'death' as a completely different person, or if Melisandre somehow turns him into a puppet for her use, I can't see him turning his back on the Night's Watch. Also, I think he'll end up as the 1000th Lord Commander (just because 998 seems like such a convenient number :P), he was 998th, someone else will be 999th while he's out, and then he'll end up being 1000th when/if he is brought back.

The prologue of ADWD might answer this, not sure though tbh

But why would someone who thinks so highly of their honour, and was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch at a very young age, turn their back on their brothers? This would really undermine so much of Jon's character.

Unless Jon wakes up from his 'death' as a completely different person, or if Melisandre somehow turns him into a puppet for her use, I can't see him turning his back on the Night's Watch. Also, I think he'll end up as the 1000th Lord Commander (just because 998 seems like such a convenient number :P), he was 998th, someone else will be 999th while he's out, and then he'll end up being 1000th when/if he is brought back.
    Because the last time he turned his back on them, he got stabbed to death! They clearly don't want him there and what purpose would it serve if Jon gets killed for real?

It's only a theory anyway. We don't know yet if Jon really has died but if he has, it would free him from his oath. Whether or not the rest of the watch would even accept him back as Lord Commander or consider him some sort of abomination is another question to be asked.

They wouldn't have enough time to elect another Lord Commander. For Jon to be any use, he has to be re-animated almost instantly. Catelyn was left for three days and is now basically nothing more than a mumbling corpse who's only emotion is revenge.

I don't think you'd last very long in another person. In the books when the guy tried it with the woman she fought him and he couldn't control her. Even Bran had a hard time controlling Hodor and Hodor isn't exactly a strong willed person.

I don't think you'd last very long in another person. In the books when the guy tried it with the woman she fought him and he couldn't control her. Even Bran had a hard time controlling Hodor and Hodor isn't exactly a strong willed person.

I guess Im thinking along the lines of someone for whom the warging is strong.

I guess Im thinking along the lines of someone for whom the warging is strong.
    The guy in the books was really strong. I can't remember his name but his back story was that his parents kicked him out when he was six because his skill scared them. He went to live with someone else who could warg and learned from him. His mentor told him he was the strongest warger he had ever met. He also told him not to warg into people.

At the moment it seems Bran has the potential to become the strongest warger but I don't think even he could truly take over another persons mind and still retain himself.

The guy in the books was really strong. I can't remember his name but his back story was that his parents kicked him out when he was six because his skill scared them. He went to live with someone else who could warg and learned from him. His mentor told him he was the strongest warger he had ever met. He also told him not to warg into people.

At the moment it seems Bran has the potential to become the strongest warger but I don't think even he could truly take over another persons mind and still retain himself.

Varamyr Sixskins or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The guy that broke his oath to sleep with a smelly hairy wildling girl, one look at Dany and I'm sure he'll find a conscientious fair way to break the black.

Also may be wrong but I thought a warg could stay in an animals body if the actual body was killed. And I thought humans besides the simple minded was impossible

• Advertisement

The guy that broke his oath to sleep with a smelly hairy wildling girl, one look at Dany and I'm sure he'll find a conscientious fair way to break the black.

Also may be wrong but I thought a warg could stay in an animals body if the actual body was killed. And I thought humans besides the simple minded was impossible

They can; the theory is that Jon gets killed, his "soul" (for want of a better word) wargs into Ghost, Melisandre revives Jon's body, and then Jon's "soul" wargs back into his recently revived body.

Was he the guy who was near starving and it was snowing and the only person who would talk to him became the person that he tried to take over? If so, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nah, Jon's a wolf for good now, definitely won't be hearing from him again. Not like GRRM to resurrect dead characters :p

A warg can go into an animal forever but they will lose what made them human. A warg works best when they only take over an animal's mind, while still having their own to go back to.

Was he the guy who was near starving and it was snowing and the only person who would talk to him became the person that he tried to take over? If so, then yes.

Think that was it haha, prologue of ADWD I think :)

Think that was it haha, prologue of ADWD I think :)
    And it goes to show that even Wargs can be d!cks. From what I remember, this woman was friends with this guy despite his scary capabilities and he repaid her by taking over her body. What an a$$hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Liam O wrote: »
    The only Lannister deserving of a comeuppance is Cersei and she's been getting it pretty rough in recent times. The Tyrells obviously play a massive part in the closing books as the show are making a big effort with Margaery and the QoT. I hope they end differently as I really don't like the direction the show is going.

Since when did deserving come into GRRMs writing. I reckon we'll see Cersei and Tommens bodies hanging from the walls of Kings Landing while the city get torn apart in a battle between the Kings people (largely depleted due to dessertion), The religious nutters, the sparrows I think they're called, Stannis' people (with help from the iron bank and Lannister deserters) and (wishful thinking here) Danearys with her huge army and her Dragons.

Tyrion will be lord of Casterly Rock and Jon Snow (part 2) will be lord of Winterfell while Arya (after finishing her list) will finally find her way home and all will live happily ever after..

(Clearly this won't happen coz GRRM is evil to the bone but one can wish!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

That's the one.. The only reason they'd give him such a long and informative prologue would suggest that warging will be a huge part of the story, I doubt just for Bran too. And to a lesser extent Aryas dreams of Nymeria with her big wolfpack..

It seems obvious to me that Jon will warg into ghost but too obvious that Melisandre will resurrect him.

GerB40 wrote: »
    That's the one.. The only reason they'd give him such a long and informative prologue would suggest that warging will be a huge part of the story, I doubt just for Bran too. And to a lesser extent Aryas dreams of Nymeria with her big wolfpack..

It seems obvious to me that Jon will warg into ghost but too obvious that Melisandre will resurrect him.

A Ghost chapter would be so cool.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

Bran will probably be the last Stark left, after the war is done. Always watching from afar. I'd like to think that's the "bittersweet" ending.

Advertisement