Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing toys from your childhood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Remote control, rebound 4x4 locked amazing on the tv, god it was ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    A chocolate making set. It was disgusting.

Wasn't too impress with Bop-It either.

I loved dolls and Barbies though, my friend and I loved making up crazy soap opera stories for them :D

ah yes the jerry springer re enactments, such fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Combat Johnny ( sounds like some sort of VD )
    It was the poor mans Action Man..............absolute sh1t, but cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

TK Queers wrote:
    Remote control, rebound 4x4 locked amazing on the tv, god it was ****

the red one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

A Barcode Battler. Remember being so excited thinking my mam had got me some sort of cool hand held console. Novelty wore off after about 5 minutes of scanning barcodes and just seeing numbers on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭RoboRat

On an opposite note, I got a small remote control helicopter last Christmas and its fcuking brilliant... I love terrorising my wife with it as she is freaked that it will tangle in her hair :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Akrasia wrote: »
    Everyone remembers the toys that they always wanted but never got

I remember one christmas I wanted a lego firetruck. It was deadly. It took batteries and it had a remote control so you could whizz it around. It was real cool with lights and everything.

I got a lego house. I was so dissappointed. What do you do with a house? Cook in it and clean it?

It was only when I grew up that I realised that my mother probably had something to do with it. She was always sexist. Very very sexist. That lego house was putting me in my place. But I remember telling my dad while building that lego house that I wanted to be like him and become a builder. My mother must have been so proud of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Remember getting a Pokédex for my 10th birthday, the disappointment from finding out that it didn't actually talk to you like in the show was the worst day of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Stretch X-Ray

All my friends had sretch armstrong so I bought stretch x-ray which was made of a different material and it was so hard it was impossible to stretch!

So eneded up with a heavy statue that did nothing at all :mad:

dscf0462.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Tamagotchi - What a pile of ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My mother wanted to give me all the toys that she'd wanted when she was a child but never got. I am not a girly girl and didn't want anything doll related, but it didn't stop her. The following is a list of things that she reminds me that I cried about getting as Christmas presents when I was a child:

A dolls pram
    Dolls
    A Wendy house
    Pink clothes

I remember pulling the heads off dolls and cutting all their hair off, so that it was only short bristles sticking out of holes in their scalp. I was a creepy child:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

A Baby First Step doll. After watching it walk a few times I was less then impressed. It ended up buried in my closet after that and I don't even know what became of the thing.

My mother wanted to give me all the toys that she'd wanted when she was a child but never got. I am not a girly girl and didn't want anything doll related, but it didn't stop her. The following is a list of things that she reminds me that I cried about getting as Christmas presents when I was a child:

A dolls pram
    Dolls
    A Wendy house
    Pink clothes

I remember pulling the heads off dolls and cutting all their hair off, so that it was only short bristles sticking out of holes in their scalp. I was a creepy child:D

I never pulled their heads off but dolls *needed* haircuts. :)
    The only one I never destroyed was a Thumbelina doll that I did want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

A furby did nothing but talk gibberish and turn on and off when it felt like it,stuck it up in the attic and for about a year when I'd be lying in bed at night you could here it talking to itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

fryup wrote: »
    the stylophone, awful sound off it..like a bumble bee in a jar

I actually use one of those on a few of my recordings. I love it.

yawhat! wrote: »
    Tamagotchi - What a pile of ****

I had to 'look after' the one my youngest son had when he went to school after the school banned them from the grounds. Too many kids were playing with them during classes.

I used to think it was hilarious when it showed the little steaming piles of poop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

got an action man car on christmas day. was playing with it, and the wheel snapped off on the same day. was only made from cheap plastic.

sucked :(

I never got one but I always wanted a Mr. Frosty. Was it as disappointing as I now expect it was?

I had a hoop & stick, myself and some friends went to out to Bray, when my back was turned for a split second, some bastard stole mine and I had to walk all the way home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dónal wrote: »
    I never got one but I always wanted a Mr. Frosty. Was it as disappointing as I now expect it was?

I was saying that on another thread and apparently it was :(

When I was very little I did want a doll whose ad announced that the hair grew back. So I cut off the hair. It did not grow back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Candyfloss machine. Never did get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I always wanted one of those :(

We had a porsche 911 'remote' controlled car with the string (not radio controlled). My dad decided it was too slow so he jammed in some D batteries when it was only supposed to take C batteries. The car took off like lightning and we ran around chasing it for about 3 minutes until the motor totally burnt out.

It was worth it.

You replaced 1.5v batteries with 1.5v batteries and it did what ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I got a lego house. I was so dissappointed. What do you do with a house? Cook in it and clean it?

Ah FFS, people with this little imagination don't deserve Lego :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

donegal. wrote: »
    You replaced 1.5v batteries with 1.5v batteries and it did what ?
    Ok, maybe it was a 9v battery he stuck in, I was only a kid I can't remember the exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I got a box of Meccano once and thought it was a load of crap. I hadn't wanted it but I think my father thought it was something I needed so I could learn how to build things. I had no idea what I was supposed to make out of it and just gave up trying to figure it out.

I've seen pictures of cool things made from Meccano but I think you need loads of boxes of it as well as a lot of patience. It always seems to be really old Meccano too. When I got it in the early eighties there was loads of crappy plastic Meccano pieces in the box.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Meccano is bollocks. Even when you do manage to get the screws to stay tight enough everything you build just looks like a crane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Meccano is bollocks. Even when you do manage to get the screws to stay tight enough everything you build just looks like a crane.

Everything I built always was a crane

(lack of imagination)

Boomerangs that didn't come back, basically sticks.
    Crap batteries
    Xray specs that were not xray specs

My boomerangs never came back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dónal wrote: »

We spent about 6 years asking for one for Christmas and FINALLY my little sister got one. You put the ice in, nearly broke one wrist turning the handle to crush it and nearly broke the other wrist trying to shove his hat down to get the ice into the grinding bit. When you finished knackering yourself you had a little box of half crushed ice/half water. The amount they show in the pictures of Mr Frosty would have taken actual years and a metric f*cktonne of ice to crush. Also The little penguin bottles had nothing in them, I totally thought the syrup you saw on the ads came with. If you poured any sort of syrup on your watery ice mess it melted it entirely, so you had a glass of kia-ora that nearly killed you making it.

We tried it out on christmas morning and then it went straight into the bottom of the wardrobe never to be seen again. I still feel bitter looking at Mr Frosty ads now

Advertisement