Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair To The USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

owenc wrote: »
    Thomson have 6 hour flights from Belfast.

Pretty sure thomson is not a budget airline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well i'm pretty sure it has crappy standard seats..

Well i'm pretty sure it has crappy standard seats..

Not really, bigger than ryanair, and they also have a movie played in flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Ryanair also has 6 hour flights. Winter seasonal flights from the Canaries to Scandinavia.
    Carnacalla wrote: »

Hmm, not on short haul. Seat pitch on Thompson is 28"-29". On Ryanair it is 30". As for the movie, wow big woop! Some rubbish film on a rubbish screen hanging from the roof with rubbish sound. I'll stick to watching a film on my ipad thanks.

Aye on a wee tooty screen that you have to stretch your neck to see. Its really not that good.

• Advertisement

Aye on a wee tooty screen that you have to stretch your neck to see. Its really not that good.

We could see it perfect, but it was ****.
    As for the seat pitch, i flew thomson last year and im going to fly ryanair.this year, so i hope ryanair is better.

We could see it perfect, but it was ****.
    As for the seat pitch, i flew thomson last year and im going to fly ryanair.this year, so i hope ryanair is better.

Yea its pure crap.

I don't understand why airlines do that. If they are going to install tvs they should put them on every seat. Pretty obvious.

Yea its pure crap.

I don't understand why airlines do that. If they are going to install tvs they should put them on every seat. Pretty obvious.

Yeah, maybe they dont see a return on it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You can still get the odd bargain... I'm doing Dublin - Birmingham return for €19.99 next month.

You can still get the odd bargain... I'm doing Dublin - Birmingham return for €19.99 next month.

€19.98

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Not really. PTV's are very costly to install/maintain and they add weight to an aircraft. The airline decides if the investment is worth the return. If they did that and charged more then you might well be complaining about the price, and refusing to travel with them again.

Airlines "do that" because 15-20 years ago overhead screens were the norm, with PTV's a luxury. This landscape has changed, but at a financial cost.

Perhaps the airline decided to keep that overhead screens and assumed that anyone who thinks its crap will have their own mobile media device with them. Pretty obvious.

Personally I feel that the future will have no screens in seatbacks but pax able to stream video/audio content from an onboard media network. (along with onboard Wi-Fi of course!!) Saves the airline lots of weight and maintenance while projecting a hi-tech image of the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

TBH, the last time I was on an aircraft with them, I just thought the screens were too small.

Do I need an esta to travel to the U.S?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Yes you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

http://m.iol.co.za/article/view/s/11/a/572238

Here's a short article highlighting the huge costs associated with installing in flight entertainment. It's why cost discipline carriers like Ryanair are said to be focussing in the future on streaming services to your phone/tablet rather than having screens in seat backs.

P.S. Ignore the final paragraph there from the Daily Fail. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

If you have a visa, you don't. The esta is for the visa waiver program.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Yes you do.

How much is the fee?

If you have a visa, you don't. The esta is for the visa waiver program.

Presuming i'm going on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

How much is the fee?

$14.

lord lucan wrote: »
    $14.

Oh for god sake.
    They know how to rip people off.
    Thats like €10 every 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Charging people to be a tourist and hence contribute to your economy is an odd one. There's also a unique rake of taxes on flights in the US - Customs User Fee, Immigration User Fee, APHIS User Fee, Federal Transportation Tax, 9/11 Security Charge and Passenger Service Charge all show as separate entries on my next fare breakdown.

MYOB wrote: »
    Charging people to be a tourist and hence contribute to your economy is an odd one. There's also a unique rake of taxes on flights in the US - Customs User Fee, Immigration User Fee, APHIS User Fee, Federal Transportation Tax, 9/11 Security Charge and Passenger Service Charge all show as separate entries on my next fare breakdown.
    It isnt a very sucessful policy either, they are just increasing the price of air travel and reducing the amount of tourists going into america, its not like the extra charges will detur terriorsts.

Its cheaper to go from the us to ireland rather than vica-versa.
    We dont even have an air travel tax.

Presuming i'm going on holiday.

You can still apply for a tourist visa for the US. It's usually good for 10 years, and you don't have to faf around with the two yearly esta.
    But yeah, if you're a tourist with no visa, you need to do esta.

You can still apply for a tourist visa for the US. It's usually good for 10 years, and you don't have to faf around with the two yearly esta.
    But yeah, if you're a tourist with no visa, you need to do esta.

How much does a visa cost? Whats involved?

I'm sure there's something on the embassy website about it. I got mine stamped in as an added bonus when I last renewed my crew visa, so I don't know what the formalities related to the tourist bits are. Used to be just fill in a form and send it into the embassy. The crew visa requires an interview, not sure if the tourist one does, but I wouldn't imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

I'm sure there's something on the embassy website about it. I got mine stamped in as an added bonus when I last renewed my crew visa, so I don't know what the formalities related to the tourist bits are. Used to be just fill in a form and send it into the embassy. The crew visa requires an interview, not sure if the tourist one does, but I wouldn't imagine so.

Any person in Ireland applying for an American visa has to fill in an on-line questionnaire, make an appointment at the embassy for an interview, get there, pay €127.25 (or some stupid figure like that), pay the fee, go for your interview and then told there and then if your approved. If your application is un successful, you dont get a refund.

EDIT : Sorry ProfessorPlum, that wasn't directed at you, I clicked on Reply by accident instead of post

billie1b wrote: »
    Any person in Ireland applying for an American visa has to fill in an on-line questionnaire, make an appointment at the embassy for an interview, get there, pay €127.25 (or some stupid figure like that), pay the fee, go for your interview and then told there and then if your approved. If your application is un successful, you dont get a refund.

EDIT : Sorry ProfessorPlum, that wasn't directed at you, I clicked on Reply by accident instead of post

Ffs. Its riduclous.
    Especially me here in west clare.

billie1b wrote: »

Yeah, it looks like you've to do an interview too - unless you're very young, or very old. But you don't have to interview for renewals - that can be done online. Still quite pricey though. Probably easier to suffer through esta unless you have another good reason for getting a visa, or maybe if you see yourself doing a lot of travelling for the foreseeable future (as in years and years).
    I've an old passport from donkeys years with an indefinite, multiple entry visa stamped in it - no interviews required. Ah those were the days......

Edit: Carnacalla, if you're travelling in relation to your new transatlantic airline, you'll need a work visa, so interview required - get them to stamp your visitors visa at the same time :)

How much is the fee?

$14

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Not really. PTV's are very costly to install/maintain and they add weight to an aircraft. The airline decides if the investment is worth the return. If they did that and charged more then you might well be complaining about the price, and refusing to travel with them again.

Airlines "do that" because 15-20 years ago overhead screens were the norm, with PTV's a luxury. This landscape has changed, but at a financial cost.

Perhaps the airline decided to keep that overhead screens and assumed that anyone who thinks its crap will have their own mobile media device with them. Pretty obvious.

Personally I feel that the future will have no screens in seatbacks but pax able to stream video/audio content from an onboard media network. (along with onboard Wi-Fi of course!!) Saves the airline lots of weight and maintenance while projecting a hi-tech image of the airline.

Well um if they are expensive why have them at all?

Advertisement