Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punchestown 2014 tips/talk/gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Motivator wrote: »
    Just look at Galway for complete & utter garbage racing. Worst standard of racing Ive ever seen.

51 races back to back at the end of July. What do you expect, 51 group races along with a few heritage handicaps to book end the week? The pattern race race calendar is already full.

As regard the standard, the 2yr old races do produce the odd top notcher. The bumpers and novice hurdles likewise but they would be in the minority simply by the sheer volume of races crammed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lors1

Hi All
    Just a quick question for all of you 'in the know'

Am bringing the kids to the family fun day on Sat and as per Derby day in the Curragh, I was hoping to bring a picnic with us. However the tickets make reference to not being allowed to bring your own food. Surely this can't be right, the Curragh have never had any problem, once there's no alcohol in basket. No info on punchestown site

Just wondering if any of you have any knowledge of this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Just look at Galway for complete & utter garbage racing. Worst standard of racing Ive ever seen.

How? Is it worse than kilbeggan, roscommon, tramore, sligo etc etc on any any normal day? The racing is below top class but better than the majority of Irish racing. You could say it gets to much coverage alright, but demand dictates supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How? Is it worse than kilbeggan, roscommon, tramore, sligo etc etc on any any normal day? The racing is below top class but better than the majority of Irish racing. You could say it gets to much coverage alright, but demand dictates supply

None of them come close to the money on offer at Galway. The quality of racing for the prize money is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

lors1 wrote: »
    Hi All

Am bringing the kids to the family fun day on Sat and as per Derby day in the Curragh, I was hoping to bring a picnic with us. However the tickets make reference to not being allowed to bring your own food. Surely this can't be right, the Curragh have never had any problem, once there's no alcohol in basket. No info on punchestown site

Thanks

Wouldn't surprise me, they'll want you to bring the family and fleece you :rolleyes:

Over the last 3-4 years I have stopped going racing almost completely. Price of food and refreshments is a complete rip off. Plus if it's a 7 race card I find I'm only interested in 3 or 4 races so you can spend the guts of an hour twiddling your thumbs if there's 2 handicaps in a row.

Family fun day indeed.....til you look in your wallet after you leave

• Advertisement

lors1 wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks

Not sure. Give them a call tomorrow morning. Last time I was there the tented village took up most of the open space. Today it looked packed so not sure if there is space for a picnic. If not, then they should set aside an area imo as today looked a cracker after a few years of wash outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Evens Quevega with Paddy Power is a cracking bet for the Stayers'. She's got nothing to beat. Should be around 4/7, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Evens Quevega with Paddy Power is a cracking bet for the Stayers'. She's got nothing to beat. Should be around 4/7, I reckon.

6/5 last night with Bet365! Made for a nice double with Faugheen at 4/5.

Not sure I'd want to be balls balls deep in Quevega. 25lbs superior and beat Glen's Melody under a length last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

madmoose wrote: »
    Flying over tomorrow for this, cant wait for the experience. How much is a pint at the track at punch?

€5.30 for a Guinness today

€4.40 in kavanaghs in mass next to post office / boylesports by bus stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to be balls balls deep in Quevega. 25lbs superior and beat Glen's Melody under a length last time.

Think the Cheltenham Mares race is on the sharp side for her these days. Fully expect her to improve, like she did last year, for the extra distance at Punchestown.

When I was 17 went to the races once with a bag on my back that wasn't checked, had a rake of cans in it bought one pint at the track and went into a cubicle in the jacks every time to fill up my pint :pac: Wouldn't do it now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Won tickets with Setanta today for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing Annie Power. Has anyone ever got the Marathon Sports up and down from the city? Does it take long? Thinking on getting it and having a few pints. Bringing the OH too, she isn't a big racing fan so hopefully she will enjoy the shopping and craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

UrbanSea wrote: »

She always seems to run a lot better at Punchestown than she does at Cheltenham. She's only got At Fishers Cross to beat, and she should easily take care of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Hulk Hands wrote: »

It's worse because it's hyped up to the extreme. I hate the in your face marketing & advertising done every year by the media. A 7 day meeting is far too much, take 3 days off the week & leave it at 4 days & the racing would be someway watchable/backable. Too much rubbish everyday.

The likes of Tramore, Kilbeggan & Sligo are much more enjoyable meetings in my opinion. Proper bog standard irish racing except you don't have thousands of pissed up gombeens shouting & roaring in your ears like you do in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

That bumper tomorrow looks set to be an absolute cracker! Nearly tempted by the 14s about Kilulltagh but I will resist, my form this year in all the big festivals has been nothing short of an embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Won tickets with Setanta today for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing Annie Power. Has anyone ever got the Marathon Sports up and down from the city? Does it take long? Thinking on getting it and having a few pints. Bringing the OH too, she isn't a big racing fan so hopefully she will enjoy the shopping and craic.

I got it last year, it's grand but I'd recommend getting on Aston Quay (it was Dawson St last year) and it was fairly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

It's worse because it's hyped up to the extreme. I hate the in your face marketing & advertising done every year by the media. A 7 day meeting is far too much, take 3 days off the week & leave it at 4 days & the racing would be someway watchable/backable. Too much rubbish everyday.

The likes of Tramore, Kilbeggan & Sligo are much more enjoyable meetings in my opinion. Proper bog standard irish racing except you don't have thousands of pissed up gombeens shouting & roaring in your ears like you do in Galway.

I think it rightly deserves all the attention it gets, a week full of racing/music/culture/fashion/guinness from warm plastic cups- all in Irelands finest city.

The racing is pretty poor but I dont think anybody pretends its anything but that. Lisdoonvarna hosts Irelands biggest dating festival but its hardly packed with 6ft blondes.

The festival is also a week long bonanza for the west of Ireland that keeps many people ticking over financially well into the depression of winter.

And besides the more races the better just more Weld horses to rake the money in on ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Champion Hurdle line up is,

Jezki
    Hurricane Fly
    Steps To Freedom

That's just ****ing fantastic. :rolleyes:

Johner wrote: »

Jezki
    Hurricane Fly
    Steps To Freedom

What an absolute joke

• Advertisement

For the prize money on offer, that line up is a disgrace :).

I'd take a Galway Hurdle with 20 runners anyday over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Mother of Jesus jezki is going to get smashed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Really is an embarrassment.

English trainers should be ashamed of themselves with the prize money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nice contradiction there.

If you take the festival for what it is, an excuse to go on the beer in Galway for a week, then you'll have a great time. If you cant get past poor racing to prizemoney, then either ignore it or start writing letters to trainers asking why they wont send decent horses. You can hardly expect HRI to pull the plug when its the most attended meeting by an absolute mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

mdwexford wrote: »
    Really is an embarrassment.

Every day it gets harder to take Irish racing seriously

I know we've strayed off topic but one must remember (as I pointed out already) Galway festival lands at the end of July. That is outside the NH season & as a consequence, you may as well pretty much strip out the best NH horses from any chance of competing at Galways summer festival save for summer jumpers or horses campaigned for a summer campaign. You get the odd Grd 1 NH horse (carlingford lough yesterday ) winning both in summer & in the true NH season (Oct-Apr) but they are few and far between. So that limits the quality of pony turning up at half the 51 races on offer. The remaining races are set aside for flat horses, but a tight undulating oval would not be mosts cup of tea. In any case, there are no pattern races on offer worth mentioning. So you have handicaps/nurseries/maiden etc. It is what it is. I'm delighted the prize money on offer is so big (HRI ploughed back the money they made at Galway into the facilities and prizemoney at the festival, where it was generated, and they keep getting a return on their money - long may that continue).

Back on topic, great to see punchestown crowds back up again. The course looked excellent yesterday & after the nightmare weather of the last few fesitvals, I hope they draw a monster crowd this week (despite the poor showing for the champion hurdle :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Prize money in the CH goes all the way down to 6th (4th = 8k, 5th = 6k, 6th = 4k). Bit mental that trainers wouldn't throw a half decent sort in, as it stands you'd be picking up 8k if you just got around which is more than your average 1st Prize Money for most hurdle races in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

Patrick Mullins seems to not really fancy any of the runners today - will it be like yesterday and they get a big outsider in the bumper - audio is here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Johner wrote: »

Jezki
    Hurricane Fly
    Steps To Freedom

Tbh going by the big Hurdle races in Ireland this year we are really only missing Captain Cee Bee from the line up.....I mean Our Conor can't turn up :(

Really is a joke tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Mullins normally runs Zaidpour and Thousand stars and yokes like that to pick up the training fees

Advertisement