Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minix Neo X8 AND X8s

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

user2011 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's suppose to have that but on kodi it shows that it actually has 1.5gb of ram. I installed cpu-z thinking kodi was wrong but that too says there is 1.5gb.

Anyone else get 1.5gb?

The other .5GB of RAM is more than likely reserved and used by the system.The box does have 2GB in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

bazzz wrote: »
    The other .5GB of RAM is more than likely reserved and used by the system.The box does have 2GB in total.

The only other time I've used cpu-z was on desktop and laptop with windows it showed what installed never used it on Linux so could be different I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭colettew

Hi,
    Has anyone bought the neo x8-h plus from future TV shop in cork?

http://www.futuretvshop.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5465348

Want to order one from Ireland preferably and this seems to be the best price I can find - just am not familiar with the shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

colettew wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anyone bought the neo x8-h plus from future TV shop in cork?

http://www.futuretvshop.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5465348

Want to order one from Ireland preferably and this seems to be the best price I can find - just am not familiar with the shop...

Only 150 of adverts if you live in Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭colettew

Thanks, I'm in Galway unfortunately. The one that's €150 in Dublin charge extra (€15) for the air remote and then €10 post so works out €5 more expensive-I wouldn't mind that if they were recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

In case anyone is interested, I was watching some 720p h265 files over the weekend and the Minix x8 Plus played them superbly. The file size is 270mb but the quality is like 1.5gb!

Yet again the Minix steps up, the only problem is it doesnt play 1080p h265 files!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

branners69 wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, I was watching some 720p h265 files over the weekend and the Minix x8 Plus played them superbly. The file size is 270mb but the quality is like 1.5gb!

Yet again the Minix steps up, the only problem is it doesnt play 1080p h265 files!

Ok, I'm a bit baffled by this! I have a Minix X-8H and it plays both 720p and 1080p with no problems at all. Am I reading what you're saying wrong or what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, I'm a bit baffled by this! I have a Minix X-8H and it plays both 720p and 1080p with no problems at all. Am I reading what you're saying wrong or what? :confused:

A H265 file is a compressed file, normally a one hour video @720p would be over a GB, in this case its about 1/4 of a GB, so it takes less resources to stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

BandMember wrote: »

You are probably talking about h264 files, which the Minix will play 720p and 1080p but this is h265 which is high-efficiency video codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

FYI: New firwmare updated 007 released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

coldfire1x wrote: »
    FYI: New firwmare updated 007 released.

I've had mine since about last January and I've not bothered with updating the firmware from 001, is there any noticeable improvement/difference when you do?

I think I'd have to use the OTG etc to do my first one, then the rest are OTA, so I must get at it some weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've had mine since about last January and I've not bothered with updating the firmware from 001, is there any noticeable improvement/difference when you do?

I think I'd have to use the OTG etc to do my first one, then the rest are OTA, so I must get at it some weekend.

I found 001 to be a nightmare - especially with playing any HD streams. Once I did the first firmware update (via USB), everything began to work a lot smoother and there were no issues anymore. I've installed every OTA update and will install FW7 this evening. I'd always recommend that people keep the firmware up to date. I tend to find that the majority of people having problems with their boxes is either down to not updating the firmware and/or the add ons. But hey, that's just my two cents....

You are also missing out on some of the new features that can be useful in some cases.

006 - Added SMB server support. Now you can add a network folder in your laptop (like a C: or D: drive) and explore the files. Plus you can always transfer the files etc.

007 - Added dummy wifi support. Basically some applications only work on wifi and not with LAN cable (which I always use). Now with a software switch you can fool then into thinking you are on wifi even though you are on LAN.

These are just examples. There's more little bits and pieces / bug fixes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Cheapest place to pick one up? I've just managed to fry mine using the wrong adapter.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Cheapest place to pick one up? I've just managed to fry mine using the wrong adapter.

Is the Minix box fried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Got myself a NUC so might be tempted to sell if anyone is interested before I go down the dreaded adverts road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭stesaurus

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Is the Minix box fried?

Yep seems that way. The fuse doesn't protect against the extra voltage so 12v adapter will kill the board.
    Lesson learned. I'm going to add some sort of tag to the connector to distinguish it in future. Too many cables at the back of my TV unit and I got mixed up when doing a bit of a cleanup.

Advertisement